Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I registered today! How are you marking your model aircraft?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I registered today! How are you marking your model aircraft?

Old 12-24-2015, 06:28 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fake:http://www.federaldroneregistration.com

Real:https://registermyuas.faa.gov

Thanks. Wonder how many might have signed up to the scammer site? Maybe I missed it, but AMA should have shown us the fake site.
Old 12-24-2015, 06:45 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Do you want the AMA to sign us up too? At what point does a person accept some personal responsibility and use some common sense? Good god...yet another thing the AMA is now responsible for...too funny!
Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I am holding off too, until Jan 18th or 19th. I want to see if the AMA can get the FAA to honor the Congress 336. Just curious, on the sign up website, is it asking you to abide by any rule of 400' altitude?
Old 12-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Decided not to register and abide by the law instead of FAA guidelines. We will see how this plays out down the road as to whether a change of direction is needed or not.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:18 AM
fliers1

Originally Posted by porcia83
Do you want the AMA to sign us up too? At what point does a person accept some personal responsibility and use some common sense? Good god...yet another thing the AMA is now responsible for...too funny!
Not bad mouthing AMA. I got the scammer info on AMA's site, I just think that everyone would like to know what the scammer site looked like. Chill.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:48 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heads up modelers because the police are becoming active. Fellow over on RunRyder claims he was asked for registration and identification while flying his helicopter. I checked this persons posts to determine whether or not this was a hoax and he appears to be legit.
Old 12-24-2015, 09:56 AM
poison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of a sharpie inside my canopy. Like your idea now you got me thinking of that looks cool but sharpie is easier or masking tape. Sticker idea is good to. We can be creative bunch that because we are hobbiest that's how we roll make the best out of a bad situation. Keep ideas coming like it
Old 12-24-2015, 10:17 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flycatch
Heads up modelers because the police are becoming active. Fellow over on RunRyder claims he was asked for registration and identification while flying his helicopter. I checked this persons posts to determine whether or not this was a hoax and he appears to be legit.
I was trimming a 450 and Mcpx in front of my house and wasn't checked and the guy that claimed he was checked posted that on on Helifreak.
If your checked best to avoid confrontation.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=725928

Mike
Old 12-24-2015, 10:38 AM
franklin_m

I printed FAA & AMA numbers on Brother clear label maker and fixed them to the canopy of my heli. I laminated the PDF of my registration card and cut to fit in my wallet.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:03 AM
RCFlyerDan

Franklin! I am surprised you registered? I thought you were going to wait? I hope the cops know that it isn't a law yet and that they shouldn't be checking until Feb 19th?
Old 12-24-2015, 11:06 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All ready to fly.

Not really sure what not registering is going to do for the AMA. Seems a bunch of non-compliant members are going to insight a fight. AMA and the current law forbidding the action of the FAA prevail, no big loss. FAA win and we continue down this path. I can just keep flying.

Honestly, I could care less about a number in my plane. I don't like the FAA trying to add in an altitude restriction by requiring one to agree to it in order to obtain the registration number. Seems a little devious to me.

Good luck taking a stand. Not sure the FAA cares.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	2137464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	2137465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	2137466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	2137467  
Old 12-24-2015, 11:12 AM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flycatch
FYI, local police don't enforce the law / regulations of the FAA. They enforce state and local laws.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:14 AM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot
FYI, local police don't enforce the law / regulations of the FAA. They enforce state and local laws.

Maybe true, but I get intimidated with men with guns who can take you to jail, until they figure out they have no right too.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:33 AM
em14

Appears my first attempt to post in this thread went into an unknown thread. I am wondering how this tiny little number inside a model aircraft is going to help the FAA. Do they shoot it down to gain asscess to the number? What does this number really accomplish? Looks like another public nuisance to me by this Admin!
Leo
Old 12-24-2015, 12:12 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One guy at my field just used a magic marker or maybe it was a permanent marker, about four guys at one of my fields have registered that I know of so far.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:33 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot

The local police can assist the FAA if requested, and the FAA has requested it, however the local police are not required to help. A request by the FAA grants them the authority to make an arrest within their jurisdiction, but again they are not required to.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:42 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by em14
Appears my first attempt to post in this thread went into an unknown thread. I am wondering how this tiny little number inside a model aircraft is going to help the FAA. Do they shoot it down to gain asscess to the number? What does this number really accomplish? Looks like another public nuisance to me by this Admin!
Leo
The biggest reason for it is it allows them to 1. To determine if you are abiding by their regulations, and if so most likely you are not one of those causing the issues. 2. If you are not registered and you are being unsafe or breaking regs. it gives them some teeth to their enforcement.

I don't see this being used to throw the book at some father and son flying at the local park, but instead to stop the commercial operators from using the Hobby rules to skirt around the commercial regs and the operators that have no regard for safety.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:04 PM
Rvander
My Feedback: (81)

FYI... For those who registered.. Did you read the release that all your information will be made public?? You think I'm letting my 14 year old son register ?? He's Ama.. I am not sending out my or his personal info. It's out there already being hacked.. Why make it easy?? Wake up!! Ever think there's more behind this?? And.. Seriously.. Are the guys flying drones at Kennedy airport and shinning lasers into cockpits going to register?? Come on.. Can you say failure?? Hmmm.. Gun control?? Lol..
Old 12-24-2015, 03:21 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Franklin! I am surprised you registered? I thought you were going to wait? I hope the cops know that it isn't a law yet and that they shouldn't be checking until Feb 19th?
Not sure where you got that idea...I registered the first day. I think the AMA's argument that it's "burdensome" is a loser. It took less than five minutes, and I'm convinced that FAA has the authority. So not a big deal to do it and make sure I'm legal
Old 12-24-2015, 03:28 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Registered the first day.
I havs zero confidence in the AMA and believe they are doing damage control with the membership they threw under the bus, hoping the FAA will throw them a bone on this issue.
If they do, it doesn't matter, so I will have an AMA and FAA number.
I too use a Brother label writer and clear transfer labels, but I like the idea of Callie making some nicer graphics,
i also laminated my FAA registration receipt and threw it in the field box with my club and AMA membership cards.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:41 PM
jetmaven

Just do what the AMA asks us to do , wait.
Read between the lines.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:11 PM
flyhighjoe

I'm sorry but if you get an rc aircraft to 400 feet your probably not going to be able to see it anyways.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:39 PM
jmiles1941

I registered the first day no problems have my card on me and I used a dyno tape maker put the FAA number on both sides of my rudder under my AMA number worked well ,a friend of mine is a capt in the sheriffs dept I talked to him and he told me they are to be enforcing this law if you fly at other than a AMA field they will check you , they can check anytime after dec 21 because of the first time fliers that get them for Christmas , I am glad I am registered it is peace of mind , and is the law !!!
Old 12-24-2015, 04:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by flyhighjoe
I'm sorry but if you get an rc aircraft to 400 feet your probably not going to be able to see it anyways.
It's pretty easy to see what 400 feet looks like.
Place your model up on a table and take about 140 "Good Sized" steps away from it.
Then turn around and take a gander at it.
It shouldn't be that much of a challenge to see it pretty well, a 2 pole pylon racing course [for 3 foot span .049 powered planes] is 300 feet between the poles plus however far the planes overshoot the turn.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:14 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
I registered the first day no problems have my card on me and I used a dyno tape maker put the FAA number on both sides of my rudder under my AMA number worked well ,a friend of mine is a capt in the sheriffs dept I talked to him and he told me they are to be enforcing this law if you fly at other than a AMA field they will check you , they can check anytime after dec 21 because of the first time fliers that get them for Christmas , I am glad I am registered it is peace of mind , and is the law !!!

So their just blowing off the Feb 19th date for pre-owned stuff? Congress makes laws not the FAA. This is ridiculous Did you ask your sheriff friend if he was familiar with Sec.336 which was passed by Congress and is the law till repealed or amended?.
I get it better to be safe than sorry but come on.

http://jrupprechtlaw.com/myrupprecht...istration-rule

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 12-24-2015 at 05:22 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.