Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Wiped out! 14 AMA fields in VA MD DC

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Wiped out! 14 AMA fields in VA MD DC

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:41 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
Gotta be the girls!

Isn't that why everyone else got into this hobby too?

Astro
Oh for sure. Went to a show this year in NY, there was a husband and wife team that put on a demo during "show time". Great skills, really nice plane, and I might have even noticed her beauty afterwards. We have a few females in our club, not many who fly though. Tried to get a girl scout troop interested after the boy/cub scouts had their field day with us...crickets. If I could figure out a way to work in snapchat and facebook to the transmitter..i would. Yes, for boys too!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by r_adical
Porcia, I thought about whether i would fall for this obvious troll and i will only to clarify again, i find it odd that in one breath the FAA is working with us and in another separate breath the AMA govt relations blog says they closed the airspace, i honestly think DHS pulled the plug this time but regardless don't blame your dance partner for stepping on your shoes, also this whole thing was known since September when the FAA showed up at a flyin held by the SWAP club in suburban Baltimore.
Sorry you feel that way. That was no more a "obvious troll" than this most recent comment of yours is. (always love those that call others and their posts trolls, all the while doing the same thing). It was your own words just used again to show what you were doing. The post was obvious, at least to me, as it was trying to somehow put this on the AMA. There is nothing incongruous about the FAA saying they continue to be in discussions with us, while at the same time the AMA notes the fields are closed. Both entities are stating FACTS....and that was validated again today with the contents of post # 94. Fields still closed..discussions continue.

Not sure what the comment about the FAA and a swap meet have to do with the discussion. We'll agree to disagree on the DHS versus SS...the SS will always have the last say, and the DHS will follow there lead in instances like this. There are however lots of alphabet soup agencies involved. Can you imagine being in a meeting or conference call with all of them. Yikes!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:53 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Sorry you feel that way. That was no more a "obvious troll" than this most recent comment of yours is. (always love those that call others and their posts trolls, all the while doing the same thing). It was your own words just used again to show what you were doing. The post was obvious, at least to me, as it was trying to somehow put this on the AMA. There is nothing incongruous about the FAA saying they continue to be in discussions with us, while at the same time the AMA notes the fields are closed. Both entities are stating FACTS....and that was validated again today with the contents of post # 94. Fields still closed..discussions continue.

Not sure what the comment about the FAA and a swap meet have to do with the discussion. We'll agree to disagree on the DHS versus SS...the SS will always have the last say, and the DHS will follow there lead in instances like this. There are however lots of alphabet soup agencies involved. Can you imagine being in a meeting or conference call with all of them. Yikes!

SWAP is the name of an affected RC club in suburban Baltimore and I didn't say SWAP meet it was a flyin visited by the FAA

http://swaprc.org/SWAP/SWAP_R_C.html

At least try to do some fact checking

And again all I care about is getting these clubs in the air

If I wanted to blame the AMA completely for this mess I would, however I think this is just a mess we all need to work through together so blame no one or blame everyone I don;t care just solve the problem

Last edited by r_adical; 12-31-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:24 PM
archerry
My Feedback: (6)

Jesus said, “Woe to you lawyers as well! For you weigh men down with burdens hard to bear, [SUP][a][/SUP]while you yourselves will not even touch the burdens with one of your fingers."
Luke 11:46
Jesus said, "Woe to you [SUP][al][/SUP]lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge; you yourselves did not enter, and you hindered those who were entering.”
Luke 11:52

Obama said, "And, it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations." Now they can add the RC drones to the list.

They will continue to ignore the AMA because they are afraid of another NRA on their hands.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:30 PM
rattledcanary1
My Feedback: (1)

Nothing like doubling down when you're wrong. Love the part about not wanting to debate, guess you just want to have everyone agree with you blindly. Good thing they don't. It sucks that your field is shut down for now, blaming the AMA and going off on wild rants about them being a for profit entity isn't helping in the least bit.
Dude, This is not about blaming the AMA. This is clearly a disappointing blow and understandable vent with other modelers and/or similarly effected individuals who live within the no fly zone. FACT: The AMA is SUPPOSED to advocate for aeromodelers and last time I checked, drones by definition are autonomous, requiring little or no real piloting skill. I'd like to elaborate how this effects DC area modelers:

The SFRA is defined as 30 nautical miles from the DCA VOR/DME. The DCA VOR/DME is located precisely at Lat/Long: 38-51-34.030N / 077-02-11.170W. http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid...ame=WASHINGTON

In addition to Google Earth, here’s an airman’s sectional map for cross reference: http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=38....77.038&zoom=10

Here are the measurements from the DCA VOR/DME to the center of the local flying club runways we’re familiar with and/or fly at, as measured by Google Earth. This data was also cross referenced and validated with a sectional chart:

DCRC 22.28 NM - effected
PGRC 15.79 NM - effected
LCAA 28.12 NM - effected
GSAA 29.85 NM - effected
...And the list goes on.

GSAA and LCAA are right on the fringe of the SFRA. How would you feel if you flew at either of these two fields, let alone any of the others effected? How about the FAA telling you they were going to enforce the No-fly rule at your field because a group of autonomous aircraft try-hard's, having largely vested only their money, screw up a hobby which began in 1937? How many bad decision making drone "pilots" who've made the news were actually AMA members?

This is about much more than just having to register. My kids have already shown a great interest and want to learn. Would be a great alternative to video games or being glued to a smart phone don't you think? Unfortunately they aren't legitimately allowed to fly until age 13 according to the ruling. Oh, and despite being minors, their names and street address will be public record. If you have children, am sure you would agree is clearly inappropriate. How would you feel about having to drive over an hour to get to a field every time you flew?

If Bob Violet, Dave Johnson, Kurt Cook, Chris Hinson, Al Young, etc. take it seriously enough to write the AMA a well thought out email, maybe you should consider which "team" you want to be on. It would seem the fight never really began for you living in Connecticut because you're not the one directly in the cross-hairs. Those of us in the no fly zone are justifiably disappointed! So please, try to be more understanding of those impacted and save the combative opinions for those who deserve it.

Last edited by rattledcanary1; 12-31-2015 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by rattledcanary1
Clearly the fight never really began for you living in Connecticut because you're not the one directly in the cross-hairs. Those of us in the no fly zone are justifiably disappointed! So please, try to be more understanding of those impacted and save the combative opinions for those who deserve it.
Anyone who thinks just because they do not live in the DC area and are not directly affected by this needs to think again. All of us are the stroke of the pen of some FAA wonk away from losing our hobby. The FAA has demonstrated repeatedly that they really have very little regard for our hobby. The AMA has fought the good fight, but the FAA just does not care. FAA shanghaied the AMA with the Interpretation of Section 336, the imposition and inclusion of models in TFRs, sUAS/Model Aircraft Registration, and now this. I have yet to see a single battle won by the AMA against the FAA. I am not optimistic about the future either.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:03 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by kdunlap
...You will not need to close the field, only cease operations temporarily, no flying of anything, until mid-January when we expect to get permission to continue operations for all fields.
??
It's t e m p o r a r y . What's the big deal? And it's January. Do you guys in the DC area do a lot of flying in the dead of winter? Sounds like you're bored so you post something to get everybody all riled up. Go build an airplane and wait till mid-January. Everything's going to be ok.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Dude, This is not about blaming the AMA. This is clearly a disappointing blow and understandable vent with other modelers and/or similarly effected individuals who live within the no fly zone. FACT: The AMA is SUPPOSED to advocate for aeromodelers and last time I checked, drones by definition are autonomous, requiring little or no real piloting skill. I'd like to elaborate how this effects DC area modelers:

The SFRA is defined as 30 nautical miles from the DCA VOR/DME. The DCA VOR/DME is located precisely at Lat/Long: 38-51-34.030N / 077-02-11.170W. http://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/navaid...ame=WASHINGTON

In addition to Google Earth, here’s an airman’s sectional map for cross reference: http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=38....77.038&zoom=10

Here are the measurements from the DCA VOR/DME to the center of the local flying club runways we’re familiar with and/or fly at, as measured by Google Earth. This data was also cross referenced and validated with a sectional chart:

DCRC 22.28 NM - effected
PGRC 15.79 NM - effected
LCAA 28.12 NM - effected
GSAA 29.85 NM - effected
...And the list goes on.

GSAA and LCAA are right on the fringe of the SFRA. How would you feel if you flew at either of these two fields, let alone any of the others effected? How about the FAA telling you they were going to enforce the No-fly rule at your field because a group of autonomous aircraft try-hard's, having largely vested only their money, screw up a hobby which began in 1937? How many bad decision making drone "pilots" who've made the news were actually AMA members?

This is about much more than just having to register. My kids have already shown a great interest and want to learn. Would be a great alternative to video games or being glued to a smart phone don't you think? Unfortunately they aren't legitimately allowed to fly until age 13 according to the ruling. Oh, and despite being minors, their names and street address will be public record. If you have children, am sure you would agree is clearly inappropriate. How would you feel about having to drive over an hour to get to a field every time you flew?

If Bob Violet, Dave Johnson, Kurt Cook, Chris Hinson, Al Young, etc. take it seriously enough to write the AMA a well thought out email, maybe you should consider which "team" you want to be on. Clearly the fight never really began for you living in Connecticut because you're not the one directly in the cross-hairs. Those of us in the no fly zone are justifiably disappointed! So please, try to be more understanding of those impacted and save the combative opinions for those who deserve it.
I feel you passion and your anger, but it's misplaced directed at me in any way. This thread and others clearly put blame on the AMA, in many ways. I'm as disappointed at the closing of the fields, even temporarily...my posts indicate that we should let the AMA do it's job.
I feel your passion and your anger, but it's
Old 12-31-2015, 06:09 PM
r_adical

DCRC 22.28 NM - effected
PGRC 15.79 NM - effected
LCAA 28.12 NM - effected
GSAA 29.85 NM - effected
...And the list goes on.

This is about much more than just having to register. My kids have already shown an a great interest and want to learn. Would be a great alternative to video games or being glued to a smart phone don't you think? Unfortunately they aren't legitimately allowed to fly until age 13 according to the ruling. Oh, and despite being minors, their names and street address will be public record. If you have children, am sure you would agree is clearly inappropriate. How would you feel about having to drive over an hour to get to a field every time you flew?

If Bob Violet, Dave Johnson, Kurt Cook, Chris Hinson, Al Young, etc. take it seriously enough to write the AMA a well thought out email, maybe you should consider which "team" you want to be on. Clearly the fight never really began for you living in Connecticut because you're not the one directly in the cross-hairs. Those of us in the no fly zone are justifiably disappointed! So please, try to be more understanding of those impacted and save the combative opinions for those who deserve it.
And just to complete the list the SWAP Southwest Area Park Club I mentioned apparently is within 400 yards of being outside the SFRA and are still shut down.

My former club the CBRC Chesapeake Bay Radio Control Club is shutdown and a lot of sweat equity went into that club and they are 6 nm inside the ring and have never had an issue.

Again, I don't care what the fault is here just solve the problem, but I still will contend the AMA doesn't help the situation by what they did with the Govt Relations Blog yesterday. Stop the blame game and fix it.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:15 PM
r_adical

Originally Posted by oliveDrab
??
It's t e m p o r a r y . What's the big deal? And it's January. Do you guys in the DC area do a lot of flying in the dead of winter? Sounds like you're bored so you post something to get everybody all riled up. Go build an airplane and wait till mid-January. Everything's going to be ok.

A lot of people have a tradition of flying on New Years day. How about you don't fly tomorrow in support of them.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:26 PM
oliveDrab

Originally Posted by r_adical
A lot of people have a tradition of flying on New Years day. How about you don't fly tomorrow in support of them.
I am flying tomorrow at the LMAC Numb Thumbs Flyin near Lexington, KY.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:00 PM
r_adical

I am flying tomorrow at the LMAC Numb Thumbs Flyin near Lexington, KY.
Then I am quite sure you can understand
Old 12-31-2015, 10:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

??
Yeah, like the temporay WWII buildings that some military base's still have!
Old 01-01-2016, 08:37 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Can y'all say if they wanted control, they could have done this whenever they wanted to?

Enough already with the sloganeering. Explain why, in reasonable and believable terms, why the FAA suddenly wants to exert control over a hobby that has been around for 80 years (longer than the FAA in fact). What do they get out of it exactly? Money? Power (they have all they want and need), girls?.
Simple Now Listen UP. First the Congress of the United States thru [h=1]FAA Modernization and Reform Act (P.L. 112-095) of 2012 sec #333 & 332 [/h]gave the FAA a mandate to rewrite the FAR's and bring the system up to date. The AMA Seeing that the FAA might try to regulate Model Aircraft (R/C TOYs that fly) Through congress tried a preemptive strike to disallow the FAA from making any rules Laws FAR's concerning or restricting Model Aircraft thru an amendment #336. Well it seemed a good Idea at the time but not liking to be told ow to do their work the faa came out with an Interpretation of #336 completely apposed to what congress had intended #336 to do. Why because the FAA believes (and probably are) equivalent to GOD when it comes to any thing to do with aviation and the Use of the NAS ... The FAA Basicly told the AMA & Congress to go Stuff it. To this point the FAA has the Upper hand on the AMA and Congress. Period. Basicly Congress can tell the FAA "What to Do" but the FAA doesn't care to be told "How to Do It".
Old 02-09-2016, 09:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=84787

Waiting to see how long it takes for the AMA to be slammed, blamed, or otherwise maligned for this recent development.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:08 AM
r_adical

I would say kudos to the region 4 gov relations committee
Old 02-09-2016, 10:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yup! Let the pros do what they do.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:13 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Great job to all involved in saving RC in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and DC!!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:41 PM
HoundDog

EAA FIGHT ON ATC PRIVATIZATION
MOVES TO FULL HOUSE

Your help needed soon on this bad deal for grassroots aviation

The House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on Thursday night narrowly approved HR 4441, the Aviation Innovation, Reform and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act of 2016, sending it to the full House. As EAA has maintained since the notion of ATC privatization first emerged last summer, your organization is committed to fighting this legislation that would be ominous for grassroots aviation and a power grab by the nation's airlines.

EAA members will soon be asked to raise their voices to their elected representatives when Congress returns on Feb. 22 from a weeklong recess. Although the possibility of ATC privatization legislation had been anticipated for several months, it is only possible to directly react when specific legislation is introduced. That occurred last week. The contents of the bill were withheld by its sponsor, House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee chairman Bill Shuster (R-Pennsylvania), until just before the hearing and committee markup sessions that occurred this week. That left little opportunity for anyone to review or comment on the bill's contents. In the coming days, you'll find out exactly how YOU can make a difference in this debate.

"As one congressman said this week, this would be the biggest divestment of taxpayer property to private interests in world history, so why have the bill's authors been so secretive about its contents prior to introduction and now so determined to hurriedly ramrod it through Congress?" asked EAA CEO/chairman Jack Pelton. "ATC privatization will put the big squeeze on general aviation in a way that threatens the individual freedom of flight and hands control of America’s airspace to commercial and airline interests."

As we wrote in our statement for the record to a House hearing earlier this week, our opposition is due to several factors:
  • A privatized ATC system would take services away from federal oversight and place them in the hands of a board controlled by those with the greatest financial resources;
  • Threats to access and services for general aviation and rural airports without commercial service;
  • An ATC board weighted toward airlines and commercial aviation, creating conflicts of interest;
  • Loss of FAA control over safety oversight, while creating a large parallel bureaucracy;
  • Creation of a congressionally mandated monopoly managed by private interests;
  • Unlimited civil and tort liability for a new ATC corporation, which could financially cripple such a system.
"While some amendments were introduced to the bill in an attempt to buy off general aviation, the notion of ATC privatization is a non-starter on all levels,” Pelton said. “Such a shift will not save the government any money or reduce any bureaucracy. We have been tirelessly letting lawmakers know this in the halls of Congress. Shortly, we will be calling upon EAA members to let their lawmakers know that we see through this charade."

Jack Pelton, EAA CEO/Chairman
Old 02-13-2016, 05:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

Default Updates from the AMA

Dear AMA members,

We have good news to share. Last night, the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in the House of Representatives passed the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act, which preserves and strengthens the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

We would like to thank Rep. Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania, Chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and Rep. Mark Sanford of South Carolina for their efforts to ensure that this important legislation protects the hobby of flying model aircraft.

The AIRR Act is critical to preserving our voluntary, community-based approach to managing the model aviation community. By strengthening the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, this bill will enhance safety across the recreational community and allow our members, who for decades have flown safely and responsibly within AMA’s community-based safety program, to continue enjoying our hobby without new burdensome regulations.

Among the bill’s provisions, it provides a clear definition of a community-based organization (CBO) and tasks the FAA with developing a process for recognizing qualifying CBOs, both long-overdue tasks for the agency. In addition, the bill makes clear that model aircraft can be used as a teaching tool for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), as well as aeronautics.

The AIRR act is a strong bill that we are proud to support, but Congress isn’t done with it yet. The full House of Representatives still needs to vote on the AIRR Act and the Senate still needs to work on its own version of the bill. AMA has been actively advocating for our members’ interests on Capitol Hill, and we will continue working with Congress on additional changes that could further protect our hobby.

We may need your help in reaching out to members of Congress to urge them to support the Special Rules for Model Aircraft, which provides critical protections for the model aviation community. Remain vigilant and continue to monitor emails, social media, and www.modelaircraft.org/gov for more information and updates.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs
Old 02-13-2016, 09:13 AM
HoundDog

Dear AMA members,

We have good news to share. Last night, the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in the House of Representatives passed the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act, which preserves and strengthens the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

We would like to thank Rep. Bill Shuster of Pennsylvania, Chairman of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, and Rep. Mark Sanford of South Carolina for their efforts to ensure that this important legislation protects the hobby of flying model aircraft.

The AIRR Act is critical to preserving our voluntary, community-based approach to managing the model aviation community. By strengthening the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, this bill will enhance safety across the recreational community and allow our members, who for decades have flown safely and responsibly within AMA’s community-based safety program, to continue enjoying our hobby without new burdensome regulations.

BS It's going to do just the Opposite the. Big Boys Play in the BIG LEAGUES way out of the any Leag the AMA and it CBO crap may play in.

Among the bill’s provisions, it provides a clear definition of a community-based organization (CBO) and tasks the FAA with developing a process for recognizing qualifying CBOs, both long-overdue tasks for the agency. In addition, the bill makes clear that model aircraft can be used as a teaching tool for science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), as well as aeronautics.

How Long Do U figure the BIG BOYS will put up with DRONES or anything useing THEIR NAS?
Besides the FAA didn't Listen to congress But the air lines OWN congress.

The AIRR act is a strong bill that we are proud to support, but Congress isn’t done with it yet. The full House of Representatives still needs to vote on the AIRR Act and the Senate still needs to work on its own version of the bill. AMA has been actively advocating for our members’ interests on Capitol Hill, and we will continue working with Congress on additional changes that could further protect our hobby.

We may need your help in reaching out to members of Congress to urge them to support the Special Rules for Model Aircraft, which provides critical protections for the model aviation community. Remain vigilant and continue to monitor emails, social media, and www.modelaircraft.org/gov for more information and updates.

Sincerely,
AMA Government Affairs
Not U to Porcia Privation is the worse thing that could possibly happen to all of GA and anyone that want's to share the NAS It's the Airlines that DON'T WANT US.... If the skies are Privatised the AIR Lines Will OWN ALL OF the NAS.
Nothing but the big guys will get to Use it with out Massive USER FEES.

Besides it's the AMA that caused all this crap by getting congress to pass amendment #336. If they would have left "WELL ENOUGH ALONE" Non of this would be happening and the FAA would have concentrated on the DRONES that were/are Interfering with maned aircraft AIR LINERS near big airports....Not Little Planes. It is a bunch of Idiots here that brought up the 500 foot crap. There hasn't been but an Infinitesimal conflict between any GA and Model airplanes. It's a NON ISSUE blown way out of proportion. More akin to a Blizzard in Miami in July. This is RED because some IDIOTS can't understand any thing when It's (Well We'll Just leave it there)

I Know that I'm going to get a lot of Flack over this but then consider the source. Their the ones that Just WHINE and do nothing to benifit our Hobby.

Hey CPB sorry I can't find a copy of the Count Down Timer
Old 02-14-2016, 07:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

GA is pretty much dead already.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
GA is pretty much dead already.
Just needs a "HOLLY STAKE" called Privatization.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Not if the FAA and Congress rule and keep in touch with what the ATC does. And there will be more pressure to allow more freedom and right of way from the drones. Man carrying drones no less.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:32 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Not if the FAA and Congress rule and keep in touch with what the ATC does. And there will be more pressure to allow more freedom and right of way from the drones. Man carrying drones no less.
"if" the Key word and IF congress ever gets term limits and IF the world ends tomorrow. Man IF the biggest word in the American vocabulary right after depends on your definition of "IS" IS.

Man Sporty I gota get me some of what ever U R smoking man. U are walking in a stupor if U think anyone but the BIG airline companies will be make'n the rules after privation. With their rules there ain't no room for GA and certainly there ain't any room for all of us DRONE flyers and our Millions of Dangerous Man Kill'n R/C TOYS in their NAS. They will squash this hobby sport Like a BUG.

Privatization is the bane of the little guy and the colossal Boon for the BIG GUYS in aviation. Congress will/is bought and Paid for now and forever by BIG MONEY. What do U suppose the AMA had to donate to the senators campaign funds for #336 and look where that got us. FK'd

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-14-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.