Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Wiped out! 14 AMA fields in VA MD DC

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Wiped out! 14 AMA fields in VA MD DC

Old 12-30-2015, 08:02 PM
kdunlap
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with this discussion is that the canary is dying in the coal mine and all the miners are whistling while they work oblivious to the obvious. But hence I digress... There was a big meeting today in Washington where District IV and AMA leadership was supposed to reach an agreement on things with the government. Boy is it quiet tonight. Where's the solution? Also, do a quick google news search on this topic of extending the no fly zone and that should put everything into perspective....
Old 12-30-2015, 08:02 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by chistech
Living in CT you should know that there are plenty of legal gun owners that have never done anything wrong that risked being imprisoned because CT simply changed a law about "assault" type weapons. The state went from those legaly owning all years of manufacture to the following law. You should remember the lines of legal gun owners having to turn in weapons. Here's the law that made anyone who didn't want to comply, an instant criminal.

No person shall possess any "assault weapon" unless that person possessed that firearm before October 1, 1993 and received a certificate of possession from the Connecticut State Police prior to July 1994. The commissioner of public safety shall maintain a file of all certificates of transfer at the central office.

Again, notice the list (file as they call it). Again, my info came from a friend who works for an agency that uses the same techniques to track and compile "people of interest". It is he that brought the FAA's registration "requirements" to my attention. When the people who do this stuff for a living make you aware of others doing the same, I tend to listen. I'm not going to post again on this as most won't believe or even care.
Why does almost every discussion about Govt involve the gun issue? For gods sake there are more guns sold in this country over the past 10 years than ever before, the same in CT. I live less than a mile away from a gun store that has to have police direct traffic get in and out of there on the weekends. Plenty of guns, plenty of ammo. Please with the guns. And funny you mention CT...this is the same state that has no problem letting a kid with prior criminal issues strap a handgun onto a quad and fly around his yard shooting at things. And that not being enough, he now has one with a flame thrower. Ya...this state is reaaal tough on guns.

We all hear stories from "friends" about stuff..chances are you buddy has violated his agencies disclosure and confidentiality protocols telling you what they are doing. And he probably has very little understanding of the scope and ability of both private and government sector to gather and store info on us. But again, who cares, we are all on 50 different kinds of lists as of now, and more and more as time goes on.

Life goes on, we register, we fly.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by kdunlap
The problem with this discussion is that the canary is dying in the coal mine and all the miners are whistling while they work oblivious to the obvious. But hence I digress... There was a big meeting today in Washington where District IV and AMA leadership was supposed to reach an agreement on things with the government. Boy is it quiet tonight. Where's the solution? Also, do a quick google news search on this topic of extending the no fly zone and that should put everything into perspective....
it's not enough that there was a meeting and that things are being worked on, you want a press release the same day too? Maybe they go back to discussions tomorrow, maybe they are working on a joint press release. Maybe they get more than 24 hours, seems fair no?
Old 12-30-2015, 08:12 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdunlap
I am hoping my brethren in DC get to fly on New Years day if they so chose

A lot of long standing traditions may end if they can't
Old 12-30-2015, 08:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

Agreed, there's always hope for a last minute compromise.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:19 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by F-16 viperman
"When You see that trading is not done by consent, but by compulsion-when You see that in order to produce, You need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing-when You see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors-when You see that men get richer by graft and pull, than by work, and Your laws don't protect You against Them, but protect Them against You-when You see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice-You may know that Your society is doomed. Money is so noble a medium that doesnot compete with guns and it does not make terms with brutality. It will not permit a country to survive as half-property, half-loot." Ayn Rand, Author, Atlas shrugged.
And so it goes on and on
Stages of Democracy from 1790-nothing much different today
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. From Bondage to spiritual faith;
2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
3. From courage to liberty;
4. From liberty to abundance;
5. From abundance to complacency;
6. From complacency to apathy;
7. From apathy to dependence;
8. From dependence back into bondage"

Where do you think present day USA falls on this list?
Old 12-30-2015, 08:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
And so it goes on and on
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry....I saw Bondage and had to remind myself where I was.

Amazing stuff that comes out of a free registration process. Ayn Rand....Hitler....FAA Enforcement troops. Amazing! I have to chalk it up to spiked eggnog.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:13 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that it is a nit picking point, but the SFRA is more than 400% larger than the FRZ.. maybe part of the problem is that the AMA cannot even do simple math.

The DC SFRA is 30 nautical miles, which is equal to 34.55 statute miles. FAA used nm measurements of distance. That is 3,750 square miles or 2.4million acres. Some model aviators on the east side of the SFRA will be driving 70 miles just to get out of the SFRA. Any way you slice this, it is a huge area of land taken away by the FAA with a pen stroke. There was no notice, no public hearings, no comment period.

AC 91-57A states no flying in any SFRA, so why aren't Los Angeles and New York part of this shut down. There are other SFRAs and any city could soon have their own, so this issue affects all urban fliers.

AMA Finding A Solution for Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) in the D.C. Area

Recently, the FAA more than doubled the airspace around Washington, D.C., that it considers a ‘no drone zone.’ In 2009, the FAA expressly prohibited model aircraft operations in the D.C. Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ), shutting down three AMA-chartered clubs and eliminating all model aircraft activity in the nation’s capital. The FAA has now extended this restriction to the Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) outside the FRZ where model aircraft have been flying without incident for years. Not only is D.C. restricted, but the FAA now contends that model aviation enthusiasts cannot fly in several Virginia and Maryland counties as well.

Last edited by on_your_six; 12-31-2015 at 04:28 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:43 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by on_your_six
I know that it is a nit picking point, but the SFRA is more than 400% larger than the FRZ.. maybe part of the problem is that the AMA cannot even do simple math.

The DC SFRA is 30 nautical miles, which is equal to 34.55 statute miles. FAA used nm measurements of distance. That is 3,750 square miles or 2.4million acres. Some model aviators on the east side of the SFRA will be driving 70 miles just to get out of the SFRA. Any way you slice this, it is a huge area of land taken away by the FAA with a pen stroke. There was no notice, no public hearings, no comment period.

AC 91-57A states no flying in any SFRA, so why aren't Los Angeles and New York part of this shut down. There are other SFRAs and any city could soon have their own, so this issue affects all urban fliers.
It's not a nit sticking point, it's more like pedantry. I'm sure the AMA is at fault here for their poor math skills, it has nothing at all to do with the FAA.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

...this is the same state that has no problem letting a kid with prior criminal issues strap a handgun onto a quad and fly around his yard shooting at things.
I think the second amendment allows this. I suspect CT may agree.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think the second amendment allows this. I suspect CT may agree.
no doubt...but I thought the NRA and all it's minions have been saying all the guns and their rights were being taken away...or that that is right around the corner. Sort of like..another civil war?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
no doubt...but I thought the NRA and all it's minions have been saying all the guns and their rights were being taken away...or that that is right around the corner. Sort of like..another civil war?
I don't think that is what would start a civil war. Not of itself.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:38 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Without the NRA and the second amendment, all or our gun rights would be taken away.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:42 AM
r_adical

Can we try to keep this forum on topic

Its way too important to be going off the rails onto other stuff
Old 12-31-2015, 07:47 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by r_adical
Can we try to keep this forum on topic

Its way too important to be going off the rails onto other stuff
Good point, the topic again I believe is blame AMA if I'm not mistaken? See post 64 for clarification.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:49 AM
r_adical

Good point, the topic again I believe is blame AMA if I'm not mistaken?
No I believe it's the fact 14 clubs can't fly regardless of who the blame falls on and how they can get relief from am ominous ruling
Old 12-31-2015, 07:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

well back on track then. Glad to see it's not about who the blame will fall on, but it certainly looks like that's what was being discussed previously. Nonetheless, there were meetings yesterday that were hopefully successful in getting the issues resolved. I'm not trying to be negative here, but I suspect some fields might not even open up again, depending on proximity. The goal I believe is to get as many reopened as possible, as soon as possible.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:01 AM
r_adical

well back on track then. Glad to see it's not about who the blame will fall on, but it certainly looks like that's what was being discussed previously. Nonetheless, there were meetings yesterday that were hopefully successful in getting the issues resolved. I'm not trying to be negative here, but I suspect some fields might not even open up again, depending on proximity. The goal I believe is to get as many reopened as possible, as soon as possible.

I just chatted with one of the affected club presidents and apparently there is no update as yet, let's keep our fingers crossed
Old 12-31-2015, 11:11 AM
Silent-AV8R

Just saw this on another forum:

DC SFRA NO FLY ZONE - December 31, 2015

Hello District IV Members,

By now, everyone has probably heard about the fields in the Washington, D.C. Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) being closed. The FAA requested all flying fields inside the SFRA out to the 30nm limit centered on Reagan National Airport to stop operations and all flying to cease. This involves everything that flies no matter whether it is at an organized field or your backyard. We have complied and informed all of the AMA clubs with fields inside the SFRA as well as any other groups we are aware of such as Multi GP and DC DUG and are working with the FAA on a resolution.

I want to thank every club that has reached out to help provide flying sites for those inside the SFRA. There was even one of our FAI F3J Junior team members that was out of school for the holidays and had set aside all his time to practice but was without a place to do that. The emails started and he found a place to practice. It is truly amazing to see the camaraderie when another member needs help. Thanks to AVP Rick Moreland, whose field was shut down also, for coordinating these efforts.

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce your new District IV Government Relations Committee who are working through this and are working with many state and local municipalities. The Coordinator and Chairman is Ray Stinchcomb, introduced in the District IV column in the January issue of Model Aviation, but we have 10 members possessing varied talents to deal with these challenging times for model aviation. Ray Stinchcomb, Chairman; Bren Bailey; David Buhrman; Bill Blacker; Bob Gensler; Allen Goodman; Jeff Haywood; Rusty Kennedy; Bob Pollokoff; Brent Sullivan; Robert Vess. These folks combined with the efforts of the AMA are representing you well.

We had a very good meeting with the FAA yesterday, December 30, in the office of the manager for FAA Special Operations Security Group. They are sympathetic to the problem this has created for our members and know that the vast, vast majority of model aircraft hobbyists/enthusiasts, whether they are members of a formal organization or not, wholeheartedly follow the rules, police themselves and others, and do everything they can to operate safely and legitimately.

We have sent invitations to the FAA and their inter-agency partners to come visit our fields and it looks like they will do that in the near future. We discussed a possible application process by which each club would submit a "fill in the blanks" letter that meets the FAA requirements to receive authorization to continue operations. The FAA said, "The last thing anyone wants to hear from the federal government is "be patient", but you folks have been patient, and understanding, and we sincerely appreciate both as we work to try and get you back in the air."

The club contacts in the AMA data base we used to contact all the effected clubs, caused problems in making sure all were notified because of inaccuracy or being out of date. It is very important we have a quick means for communicating with you. Please make sure when your club re-charters this year to provide good contact information and update it every year.

I don't have to tell you, we do not want any modeler creating an incident in the SFRA or anywhere else in the district or country for that matter, because that could jeopardize the process.

To those in the affected area, hang in there, we are working through this and "Go see some folks you might not have seen in awhile and enjoy their camaraderie and fly, and have fun safely."

jaymarsh.jpgMay we all have a Happy New Year.
—Jay Marsh
AMA District IV Vice President
(336) 687-0973
[email protected]

spacer
© 2015 Academy of Model Aeronautics.
5161 E. Memorial Dr., Muncie IN 47302
Old 12-31-2015, 11:26 AM
F-16 viperman

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Herman Munster.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2138810  
Old 12-31-2015, 11:30 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Can y'all say CONTROL?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mike31
Can y'all say CONTROL?
Can y'all say if they wanted control, they could have done this whenever they wanted to?

Enough already with the sloganeering. Explain why, in reasonable and believable terms, why the FAA suddenly wants to exert control over a hobby that has been around for 80 years (longer than the FAA in fact). What do they get out of it exactly? Money? Power (they have all they want and need), girls?
Old 12-31-2015, 11:44 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can y'all say if they wanted control, they could have done this whenever they wanted to?

Enough already with the sloganeering. Explain why, in reasonable and believable terms, why the FAA suddenly wants to exert control over a hobby that has been around for 80 years (longer than the FAA in fact). What do they get out of it exactly? Money? Power (they have all they want and need), girls?
Gotta be the girls!

Isn't that why everyone else got into this hobby too?

Astro
Old 12-31-2015, 11:47 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by HoundDog
And so it goes on and on

I will play along. We are at: 6. From complacency to apathy

almost in between 6 and 7
Old 12-31-2015, 12:17 PM
r_adical

Good point, the topic again I believe is blame AMA if I'm not mistaken? See post 64 for clarification.

Porcia, I thought about whether i would fall for this obvious troll and i will only to clarify again, i find it odd that in one breath the FAA is working with us and in another separate breath the AMA govt relations blog says they closed the airspace, i honestly think DHS pulled the plug this time but regardless don't blame your dance partner for stepping on your shoes, also this whole thing was known since September when the FAA showed up at a flyin held by the SWAP club in suburban Baltimore.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.