Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA executive council accountability

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA executive council accountability

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
You have absolutely no idea in the world what you are talking about regarding my posts. You either haven't read my posts, or have read them and don't comprehend them, take your choice. Your opinions on the rest of the issues are you own, I can poke holes in each of them or show you another viewpoint, it's a waste of time as it doesn't appear you are receptive to a different point of view. I can see see the forest, and the trees, and then some. But folks here are focused on one thing for the most part...the past. And guess what, that's gone! Venting about it feels good, even more so when others chime in with the same thoughts and throw up the +1. Birds of a feather and all, I get it. Ignore me if you wish or attack me rather than my comments, all fine and well, but you might want to read others point of view and see if there is anything you can agree on.
As I read this shaking my head in disbelief I am reminded of a song by Queen "Bicycle Race" with the lyrics
You say black I say white
You say bark I say bite

Porcia in the other forums I have participated in just wants to be the contrarian.

I have consistently brought the fact that in one breath the AMA says FAA is our partner and in a Government Relations Blog they blame the FAA for shutting down the DC SFRA, according to the meeting on wednesday for the 14 affected clubs it is clear that FAA is not the bad guy here and all I ask is that AMA be consistent with their approach.

This came out of Wednesdays meeting

"The DC restricted zone was originally a much smaller radius, but was increased approximately three-fold in 2010 to the present 30 nm, but this permanent no-fly zone was never enforced, except very close to the Capitol. In early December, it seems the DOD, Homeland Security, and a myriad of other government agencies who came up with the 30 nm radius now insisted that DC Restricted Zone be duly enforced, and yes, it looks like because of the likely influx of rogue (intentional , or not) "drone" pilots flying all over the place. "

So the relevance to this forum is that the EC needs to take charge and come up with a consistent message from the AMA and stop shooting their dance partner in the foot or we will all be grounded.

Old 01-01-2016, 06:18 PM
jeffrey solomon

Will the AMA board be compelled to " come up with a consistent message" without letters from us to the AMA board?
Letters telling them they have not properly served their members with their current policies.
(see, I didn't say fiduciary)
I would say, not likely.
So maybe it is time to write the AMA board? ( I know a lot have already done it, but how about this time all together focused)
What do you think?

Old 01-01-2016, 06:23 PM
r_adical

Originally Posted by jeffrey solomon
Will the AMA board be compelled to " come up with a consistent message" without letters from us to the AMA board?
Letters telling them they have not properly served their members with their current policies.
(see, I didn't say fiduciary)
I would say, not likely.
So maybe it is time to write the AMA board? ( I know a lot have already done it, but how about this time all together focused)
What do you think?

I am on board, we as a membership need to do something
Old 01-01-2016, 06:38 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r_adical
As I read this shaking my head in disbelief I am reminded of a song by Queen "Bicycle Race" with the lyrics
You say black I say white
You say bark I say bite

Porcia in the other forums I have participated in just wants to be the contrarian.

I have consistently brought the fact that in one breath the AMA says FAA is our partner and in a Government Relations Blog they blame the FAA for shutting down the DC SFRA, according to the meeting on wednesday for the 14 affected clubs it is clear that FAA is not the bad guy here and all I ask is that AMA be consistent with their approach.

This came out of Wednesdays meeting

"The DC restricted zone was originally a much smaller radius, but was increased approximately three-fold in 2010 to the present 30 nm, but this permanent no-fly zone was never enforced, except very close to the Capitol. In early December, it seems the DOD, Homeland Security, and a myriad of other government agencies who came up with the 30 nm radius now insisted that DC Restricted Zone be duly enforced, and yes, it looks like because of the likely influx of rogue (intentional , or not) "drone" pilots flying all over the place. "

So the relevance to this forum is that the EC needs to take charge and come up with a consistent message from the AMA and stop shooting their dance partner in the foot or we will all be grounded.

I'll take contrarian over a member of the gee I wish the past was different torch and pitchfork crowd any day. If you can't deal with a contrary point of view in a thread ..this whole internet thread might no be for you. Somehow I doubt personal attacks are part of the relevant discussion, or elevate the discourse. ymmv.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:41 PM
r_adical

Originally Posted by porcia83
I'll take contrarian over a member of the gee I wish the past was different torch and pitchfork crowd any day. If you can't deal with a contrary point of view in a thread ..this whole internet thread might no be for you. Somehow I doubt personal attacks are part of the relevant discussion, or elevate the discourse. ymmv.

Honestly your opinion to me is not constructive to the argument and from here on out will be ignored. If calling you a contrarian upsets you then I am truly sorry.

I chose to try and stay on topic and come up with a solution
Old 01-01-2016, 06:45 PM
jeffrey solomon

Let's move over to the page entitled
Letter to your senator

We got some more work to do

Find combatpig
or porcia83

great letter

got to find a way to quickly get it to our members
Old 01-01-2016, 07:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by r_adical
Honestly your opinion to me is not constructive to the argument and from here on out will be ignored. If calling you a contrarian upsets you then I am truly sorry.

I chose to try and stay on topic and come up with a solution
Ah the finger in the ears bit lalalala, par for the course. Call me any name you want, the day I'm affected in anyway by what some nameless faceless person on a website dedicated to big boy toys calls me...is the day I need to pack it in. But calling me a contrarian I think was your attempt at a compliment, so thanks for that.

As Jeffery notes...onward and forwards....looking forward to your contributions to the cause.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:55 PM
rdelorme

I am not sure that the AMA leadership is the issue. The federal bureaucracy does not feel that Rule of Law applies to them. When I worked for the USDA I brought up a labor law violation that was common practice in the agency and the regional director told me "We are the government: laws do not apply to us".

The new regulations are a new revenue source, they are not intended to improve safety or offer real solutions.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:11 PM
jeffrey solomon

Do you think that official of government would make that same statement
before a court of competent jurisdiction?

Don't let statements like that "We are the government: laws do not apply to us".

frighten, weaken or deter you from what is the right thing to do.
People with real power need not use such juvenile tactics to intimidate, only bullies that are afraid they will be discovered

do to keep us in check
Old 01-02-2016, 06:27 AM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

I was speaking with a fellow club member and FAA inspector at our New Years Day fun fly. What he said was very interesting.
He said, no matter whether or not the AMA embraced drones RC anything in the air was going to be regulated. There are just to many incidents to let it go any longer.
The AMA was deluding it self if it thought the FAA was going to left out of the regulation process just because of it's 180000 members verses the safety of the air space.
There is no way the FAA is going to use AMA ( a non-governmental agency) member numbers for registration.

Now speaking for my self, I think by AMA 2017 registration time, the AMA use your FAA registration number and abandon theirs.
As far as the FAA superseding the law congress passed, all the FAA has to do is "stress" the Safety of the the Air space and congress will not interfere.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by chris923
I was speaking with a fellow club member and FAA inspector at our New Years Day fun fly. What he said was very interesting.
He said, no matter whether or not the AMA embraced drones RC anything in the air was going to be regulated. There are just to many incidents to let it go any longer.
The AMA was deluding it self if it thought the FAA was going to left out of the regulation process just because of it's 180000 members verses the safety of the air space.
There is no way the FAA is going to use AMA ( a non-governmental agency) member numbers for registration.

Now speaking for my self, I think by AMA 2017 registration time, the AMA use your FAA registration number and abandon theirs.
As far as the FAA superseding the law congress passed, all the FAA has to do is "stress" the Safety of the the Air space and congress will not interfere.
Well, you heard it right from the mouth of someone involved in the process I guess. But keep in mind it's rare to find a thread here where the AMA hasn't been blamed for this FAA oversight. From theories about money grabs, to wanting more power etc etc, it all falls at the feet of the AMA. And yet you heard something completely different, that no matter what the AMA did, the airspace was going to be regulated regardless. There are probably 4 or 5 people on RCU who agree with that. The others steadfastly refuse to believe that the idea of Amazon, Walmart, and Google flooding our airspace with commercial use drones had anything to do with it.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:00 AM
jeffrey solomon

Sorry your friend feels so negatively
perhaps we can pick up a few good deals on his planes

Right now, however what is most important is to do something
positive

Here is a letter you and your friend can use to send to your congressman

Dear Senator/Congressman:

I am a model aviation enthusiast and member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics ("AMA"), recognized as a national community-based organization.

I am very distraught with the recent announcement by the Federal Aviation Administration that as of December 21, 2015, AMA flyers will have to register with the FAA.

This new requirement appears to be a contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which was passed by Congress and the Senate. By promulgating new restrictions and requirements for AMA members, the FAA appears to be overriding the existing Congressional directives.
The new registration and identification requirement is a complete redundancy of our registration with the AMA. Combine this with the recent closure of 14 AMA chartered fields and it appears that the FAA is imposing needless hardships on our membership.
We have established an 80 year record of impeccable safety, and in fact have set the standard for safe operation of our model aircraft in our national air space. AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code, and we utilize training programs to ensure our members fly safely and responsibly.
I would welcome you or any member of your staff to visit our local flying site to witness first hand how we are good stewards of our land and airspace.
I’d be happy to discuss these issues with you or your staff if you have any further questions or concerns.
On behalf of all AMA members I hope that you will look into the legality and the fairness of their actions.
Thank you very much for your attention to this matter,

Go to it buddy

A hand written letter gets more attention
Old 01-02-2016, 11:55 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you weren't registered with the FAA but your plane was marked with just your required AMA number.......don't you think it would serve the same purpose just as well if the Feds needed to track you down...?
Old 01-02-2016, 12:31 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
If you weren't registered with the FAA but your plane was marked with just your required AMA number.......don't you think it would serve the same purpose just as well if the Feds needed to track you down...?
There were a couple of Quad guys 3 years ago that thought it was a good Idea to Fly their Quads on the Lake Michigan shore here in Milwaukee. There up about 500 ft in the Direct N/S approach to Mitchell International Airport. Being the brilliant Quad jockey's they were, they posedt the video to the net. Within a week the FBI can knocking to warn them about flying in the approach path.

The moral is.........If the feds want to find you.........they already got your number. Bottom line, the FAA is forcing is to register. I think it is no big deal. The IRS gets my Quarterly taxes payment, they know where to find me, I have a FHA mortgage, they can find me. I see no clear inherent danger of losing my rights, privileges or privacy by registering. Only a downside if I don't.

Last edited by chris923; 01-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

There were a couple of Quad guys 3 years ago that thought it was a good Idea to Fly their Quads on the Lake Michigan shore here in Milwaukee. There up about 500 ft in the Direct N/S approach to Mitchell International Airport. Being the brilliant Quad jockey's they were, they posedt the video to the net. Within a week the FBI can knocking to warn them about flying in the approach path.

The moral is.........If the feds want to find you.........they already got your number. Bottom line, the FAA is forcing is to register. I think it is no big deal. The IRS gets my Quarterly taxes payment, they know where to find me, I have a FHA mortgage, they can find me. I see no clear inherent danger of losing my rights, privileges or privacy by registering. Only a downside if I don't.
So true!
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rdelorme
I am not sure that the AMA leadership is the issue. The federal bureaucracy does not feel that Rule of Law applies to them. When I worked for the USDA I brought up a labor law violation that was common practice in the agency and the regional director told me "We are the government: laws do not apply to us".

The new regulations are a new revenue source, they are not intended to improve safety or offer real solutions.
No matter how well the government obeys it's own laws, you still need to play your cards as correctly as you can.
As it stands, we are not able to tell our Congressional Reps that our leadership have done all they could to steer clear of being categorized as a National Drone Club.
That is what they refer to us as now, a Drone Club.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:55 PM
jeffrey solomon

Have you seen this video of
"Orville the flying dead cat"
Now that's responsible flying
Does the AMA Safety Code cover this?

Meow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTVOK2yvbBM

and check out "You Tube " I missed these they have been out for awhile Southpark episode Magic Bush
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09g6obdiIrc

Last edited by jeffrey solomon; 01-02-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:18 PM
jeffrey solomon

Here are all the links to the legal mumbo jumbo everyone loves. I'm just going to paste his conclusion what most people like me want to hear which is what is happening right now!

http://jrupprechtlaw.com/

http://jrupprechtlaw.com/category/drone-law

http://jrupprechtlaw.com/myrupprecht...istration-rule

http://jrupprechtlaw.com/the-problem...e-registration

Proposed Solutions for the FAA:

Get Congress to pass an amendment to Section 336 so the regulations will not be in violation of it.
Go the notice and comment route with the regulations. Don’t skip this because it is inconvenient.
Publish a document that has everything a drone pilot needs to know in ONE place. There are multiple things being said in multiple places. Certain parts of the regulations apply and other parts do not.

This was sent to me by one of my club presidents it contains a Florida attorney who is an AMA flyer pretty sure.