Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Club asking for it's members FAA registration number

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Club asking for it's members FAA registration number

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:08 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Club asking for it's members FAA registration number

I received a email today from one of my clubs and they want all members to send them their FAA registration numbers for the clubs records, No other details other than to say that if the FAA backs down they
will delete the numbers. It sounds like the club may have intentions of making FAA registration mandatory when I find out more I will post it.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:20 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a clubs decision, it's not being done at the AMA's request. I believe the AMA (Tony Stillman) even confirmed that. They normally let clubs make those type of decisions, although this is a new area. If I was in the club and didn't want to give that information (not sure why that would be the case,but..) I'd be asking where the authority for this request comes from. The bylaws would probably address, or in this case NOT address the issue, and you could take it from there. I have to assume the club is trying to be proactive and think of what might come down the path, but I'd ask specifically what they are doing.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:28 PM
ira d

Yes I know the request is not from the AMA but in the next day or so I will check with a club officer and and ask why they want this info.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty simple actually, it's called CYA!
The club is doing so to Cover It's Behind. If someone from the FAA shows up at the field after the law take effect, then they want to be sure that all the T's are crossed and I's dotted so that the one person who's flying that day and isn't registered doesn't bring down a bunch of grief on them.

They don't want to take the chance that they would get in trouble for allowing a non registered pilot to fly.

Hmm, just made me think of something. If you are someone new at the club being taught to fly, using the clubs equipment, do you have to register? You don't own a plane? Yet are in a sense flying one, be that it's owned by the club or a member.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:01 AM
Silent-AV8R

But they also need to understand that we have until February 19, 2016 to comply with the FAA registration requirements.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:55 AM
ira d

Update I talked to the club president and he said that a lot of folks had concerns about the club having a list of everyones FAA number so he decided not to require that the numbers be submitted. It will be a requirement
that all members register but you can just show him a copy of your registration without the number so all is good now and he said any numbers he already has will be deleted .

I did not ask but i'm sure he knows that members have until Feb 19th to register.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 AM
porcia83
Banned

Interesting that this club will require all members to register even though all members might not have to depending on what they fly. Clubs , or rather the leadership of said clubshould wait for the dust to settle before making knee jerk steps to address problems that don't exist yet.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:18 PM
TimJ

The club really shouldn't be doing this. AT ALL. It is not required by the AMA or the land lease for the club.

As it currently sits with the AMA, I've been told the AMA will not be enforcing registration.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:13 PM
ira d

The one thing I see could be a problem is the snowbirds that fly at our field that are from Canada.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:31 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by ira d
The one thing I see could be a problem is the snowbirds that fly at our field that are from Canada.
That isn't a problem. Non citizens are not required to register with the FAA.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by TimJ
That isn't a problem. Non citizens are not required to register with the FAA.
But are they allowed to fly by the FAA without the registration?
Old 12-28-2015, 04:12 PM
jmiles1941

The club really shouldn't be doing this. AT ALL. It is not required by the AMA or the land lease for the club.

As it currently sits with the AMA, I've been told the AMA will not be enforcing registration.
we have 160 members we have received a email from the president stating you must show your 2016 AMA card and FAA card to renew your membership
Old 12-28-2015, 04:32 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
we have 160 members we have received a email from the president stating you must show your 2016 AMA card and FAA card to renew your membership
That seems to be a rule that your Club's membership needs to vote on.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:43 PM
porcia83
Banned

ya...agree Tim...that's something that should be addressed in the club bylaws. No doubt well intentioned, but probably not doable according to the bylaws, and I suspect he will hear about it from the membership. Again, why create a remedy to a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:30 PM
ira d

On second thought most if not all snowbirds have a U.S. address they can use and nobody will be the wiser.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 PM
ira d

I agree and i'm sure that it will come up at our next club meeting.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:51 PM
jmiles1941

I agree and i'm sure that it will come up at our next club meeting.
no problem for me I gave them my FAA number I am glad this is behind me , if it is overturned then that's another worm that the FAA will try to intrude more , just my 2 cents worth guys
Old 12-28-2015, 07:11 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Old 12-28-2015, 07:47 PM
drac1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would think that any such request, would require a change to the clubs constitution?
Old 12-28-2015, 11:12 PM
stevekott

I gave my FAA number without hesitation. I am thankful for all that our club officers do to keep our field open and a fun place to fly.

In these days of the Internet our personal information is already out there. Just Google yourself. It doesn't take long to find your home address.

If it makes our club officers job easier it's the least I can do.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:00 AM
ira d

I think the bigger question is why should the club be concerned about if you have a number or not, If you don't that is between you and the FAA at this time and is not a mandate from the AMA or anybody else to know if
you have a AMA number.
Old 12-29-2015, 04:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

I think the bigger question is why should the club be concerned about if you have a number or not, If you don't that is between you and the FAA at this time and is not a mandate from the AMA or anybody else to know if
you have a AMA number.
Yup, absolutely correct. I'd push that clubs board to explain under what authority they seem to think they can ask for that information under. I doubt the bylaws address that issue. Ironically they might be doing the same thing they feel the FAA is doing, over reaching.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:47 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The club needs to vote on any changes to the bylaws. There is absolutely no reason for the club to require this to be a member. Just one more step toward a totalitarian regime. Each time we give up a right it becomes easier, and easier for the government to take over our lives. If I chose not to register as a protest against this invasion then it's none of the club's business if I do or don't. Until the AMA and FAA make it mandatory for the clubs to maintain this information, tell them to BUZZ OFF! My rod and gun club does not make me prove I have a permit for my guns to belong, so why should my flying club be asking for my FAA #?
Old 12-29-2015, 07:10 AM
MX240

Sounds like a club member wants to be "a big man"
Most of these type people turn out to be losers at home.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by MX240
Sounds like a club member wants to be "a big man"
Most of these type people turn out to be losers at home.
Donald, is that you?

I'll go with the club's board wanting to be proactive and appear to be "getting things done" for the club, well intentioned perhaps, but not really thought out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.