Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Club asking for it's members FAA registration number

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Club asking for it's members FAA registration number

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
That was quick. Guess someone is looking for a new job...feel free to put me down as a reference.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
A drivers license is required to get to the field, we don't check that.
Neither do we. Club has no jurisdiction over the public roadways.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Seriously though, I had the same questions. As a club officer am I supposed to verify this? As a CD am I going to have to ask for this at events?

Hopefully these and other questions will come into better focus after Expo when the FAA and EC will be in the same place for a sit-down.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:33 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
That was quick. Guess someone is looking for a new job...feel free to put me down as a reference.
Not me I'm semi-retired I'm done playing baby sitter. Have at it I'm sure your more than qualified.

Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 06:36 AM
rcmiket

Seriously though, I had the same questions. As a club officer am I supposed to verify this? As a CD am I going to have to ask for this at events?

Hopefully these and other questions will come into better focus after Expo when the FAA and EC will be in the same place for a sit-down.

I'm in the same boat and have no clue. According to Stillman it's not the clubs or the officers responsibility it's up to the individual. As some have brought up protecting what the club has is a valid point. My fellow club officers have decided to wait it out and see what transpires.

Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 06:44 AM
Silent-AV8R

Good questions. Based on how the AMA treated FCC licensing of amateur radio operators I suspect it will be hit or miss. AMA simply said you had to comply with FCC regulations. Some clubs/CDs would check for ham licenses, others would not.

I would think that Rich, and others in the AMA Leadership, have already been in near constant contact with the FAA about this. Personally, I will have one main question:

Will FAA make it clear that there is not a 400 foot altitude cap in force. I understand it is a "best practice" for most non-traditional model aircraft operators, but they need to remove the wording in the registration process that forms a de facto altitude limit. It has to be clearly stated, because already the public, media, and local governments view 400 feet as a hard FAA limit.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:12 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Agreed. I was thinking along the same lines as the FCC but this is getting a whole wider coverage than that ever did. Of course, thats a product of the world we live in now too
Old 12-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Didn't the membership vote on it? I'm in two clubs and changes to the By-Laws or Field Rules require a majority vote. I anticipate it will be coming along directly. One of the presidents has already stated "that's between the member and the FAA".

I'm not sure clubs can legally vote to not follow the law. Do clubs really need rules that say to follow the laws?
Certainly the club can have a position of don't ask/don't tell regarding whether members are in compliance. We don't verify US Citizenship, up to date driver's licenses, vehicle registration of member cars parked on site, etc. It's a club, not a law enforcement agency. Club by-laws require AMA membership (and IMAA membership - until recently) and safe operation. Heck, there are a half-dozen long time club members I've never seen flying a model. No doubt we will follow the AMA recommendations as they trickle down.

Will certainly be interesting to see what happens at our annual Fun Fly where we get pilots from all over the NorthEast - including Canada - and whether we will verify registration labeling and paperwork. Frankly I don't care if they have registered and I doubt we'll have a roster of registration numbers to verify someone didn't just make up a number.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:29 AM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

way to premature for that request. IF and WHEN the AMA requires its sanctioned clubs to file Reg#'s , then and only then can a club ask for them. In the meantime, a club CANNOT request nor enforce such a request if they are operating under AMA guidelines. No AMA club has the right to make registration mandatory. Its not legal. Once we find out what the AMA gets accomplished or not, then .... move forward with requirements. Your club, asking or making reg mandatory TODAY isn't being preemptive nor proactive, its simply being intrusive to your civil rights and is asking for trouble.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:47 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, I disagree there. Our club has many restrictions that the AMA doesn't require.

We require members take a turn mowing. No AMA guidelines there. We require attendance or written club waiver for working at our annual Fun Fly - no AMA guidelines there. We don't allow flying of gas or glow before 10:00AM on Sunday - again, no AMA guidelines there.

Clubs can require you wear a sombrero when flying if they choose. But I doubt any would encourage members to defy a law.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:57 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Oh, I disagree there. Our club has many restrictions that the AMA doesn't require.

We require members take a turn mowing. No AMA guidelines there. We require attendance or written club waiver for working at our annual Fun Fly - no AMA guidelines there. We don't allow flying of gas or glow before 10:00AM on Sunday - again, no AMA guidelines there.

Clubs can require you wear a sombrero when flying if they choose. But I doubt any would encourage members to defy a law.
Not an apples to apples comparison. Not asking for your reg number is hardly akin to advocating the breaking of a law, or nonconformity to same. The AMA has always left it up to clubs to create and manage their own bylaws and rules.

They have already said informally that they are not going to require this of AMA clubs, if and when they do I suspect we'll hear about it.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:05 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Good questions. Based on how the AMA treated FCC licensing of amateur radio operators I suspect it will be hit or miss. AMA simply said you had to comply with FCC regulations. Some clubs/CDs would check for ham licenses, others would not.

I would think that Rich, and others in the AMA Leadership, have already been in near constant contact with the FAA about this. Personally, I will have one main question:

Will FAA make it clear that there is not a 400 foot altitude cap in force. I understand it is a "best practice" for most non-traditional model aircraft operators, but they need to remove the wording in the registration process that forms a de facto altitude limit. It has to be clearly stated, because already the public, media, and local governments view 400 feet as a hard FAA limit.
And the FCC requirement is stated in the AMA Safety Code.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:21 AM
jmiles1941

Agreed. I was thinking along the same lines as the FCC but this is getting a whole wider coverage than that ever did. Of course, thats a product of the world we live in now too
This is why I and a lot of our IMAC fliers went ahead and registered , to be safe don't want to go to our first contest in feb and not be able to fly because we didn't register
Old 12-30-2015, 11:34 AM
stevekott

We should refrain from referring those flying without an FAA Registration as doing something bad or illegal.

I propose we refer to them as Undocumented Drone Pilots.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:46 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it was up to me I would remind flyers of what the law is and leave it at that. IMO it would be between them and the FAA.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:14 PM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesef91
For the few clubs that own the land they fly on I agree that it should not be necessary for the club to enforce an FAA requirement. For most of the other clubs who lease the land or it is provided by the city or county there will frequently be a clause in the terms of use or lease which prohibits illegal activity, ie. flying unregistered aircraft. I for one would hate to loose the flying site we have so much invested in because a few refuse to comply with the registration requirement. While I disagree with the idea of registering model aircraft, I believe in the case of our club we should comply and require compliance until the issue is resolved.

Each year before the flying season begins our club officers go before the local select board and ask for permission to fly, our field Is on town owned property. If the board members require us to be registered we will have to change our bylaws to comply, simple as that.

Last edited by dryverman; 12-30-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by stevekott
We should refrain from referring those flying without an FAA Registration as doing something bad or illegal.

I propose we refer to them as Undocumented Drone Pilots.
So breaking the law isn't bad or illegal?
Old 12-30-2015, 01:54 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

For the few clubs that own the land they fly on I agree that it should not be necessary for the club to enforce an FAA requirement. For most of the other clubs who lease the land or it is provided by the city or county there will frequently be a clause in the terms of use or lease which prohibits illegal activity, ie. flying unregistered aircraft. I for one would hate to loose the flying site we have so much invested in because a few refuse to comply with the registration requirement. While I disagree with the idea of registering model aircraft, I believe in the case of our club we should comply and require compliance until the issue is resolved.
I don't see the difference. In fact, the club that owns their own property is more at risk than one flying on public property.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:59 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by ira d
I received a email today from one of my clubs and they want all members to send them their FAA registration numbers for the clubs records, No other details other than to say that if the FAA backs down they
will delete the numbers. It sounds like the club may have intentions of making FAA registration mandatory when I find out more I will post it.
At our club we are required to pst at the flight station our Current AMA cad with a current club sticker on. failure to do so while flying ges U an Ass Chewing if a club Officer or board member is present. So what's the difference if U post Your FED Number too. Of Course we have close to 300 paid members and U don't know all or if they reupped or not especially after the 1st of the year.

Regisration with the feds absolutely should be mandatory.to fly at any plave in th USA.. Don't screw with FEDS They are not to be Trifled with... . Look what happened when the AMA had congress tell the THE FAA what and what not they could do concerning Model AirPlanes ..
HOW's THAT WORKIN OUT THERE SONNY?
I'll tel ya how it worked out ... The FAA basically told the AMA and Congress to, as the say Australia, STUFF IT

Last edited by HoundDog; 12-30-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:20 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
At our club we are required to pst at the flight station our Current AMA cad with a current club sticker on. failure to do so while flying ges U an Ass Chewing if a club Officer or board member is present. So what's the difference if U post Your FED Number too. Of Course we have close to 300 paid members and U don't know all or if they reupped or not especially after the 1st of the year.

Regisration with the feds absolutely should be mandatory.to fly at any plave in th USA.. Don't screw with FEDS They are not to be Trifled with... . Look what happened when the AMA had congress tell the THE FAA what and what not they could do concerning Model AirPlanes ..
HOW's THAT WORKIN OUT THERE SONNY?
I'll tel ya how it worked out ... The FAA basically told the AMA and Congress to, as the say Australia, STUFF IT
The Feds have made registration mandatory but I don't think it's the clubs jobs to enforce the FAA's laws unless mandated to do so by either the FAA or AMA.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 PM
jamesef91

I don't see the difference. In fact, the club that owns their own property is more at risk than one flying on public property.
The FAA is only empowered to impose a civil penalty or in the case of a certificate holder suspend or revoke the certificate. They can not seize property owned by a club. The city, county, or lease holder however can have the club/user removed for violation of the lease or terms of use.

Last edited by jamesef91; 12-30-2015 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added content
Old 12-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The Feds have made registration mandatory but I don't think it's the clubs jobs to enforce the FAA's laws unless mandated to do so by either the FAA or AMA.
I really don't see what the big deal is. Many members/clubs go beyond their perceived "jobs".
Old 12-30-2015, 08:33 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The FAA is only empowered to impose a civil penalty or in the case of a certificate holder suspend or revoke the certificate. They can not seize property owned by a club. The city, county, or lease holder however can have the club/user removed for violation of the lease or terms of use.
Who said anything about the FAA seizing property? What if a club member has an accident and a lawsuit is filed against the club? Perhaps the club could be held libel for not ensuring said member was properly registered and operating legally.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:31 AM
rcmiket

Being a Club Officer here's my take on this.
It's not the clubs job to enforce anything but the AMA Safety Code and that's for insurance purposes. Until registration with the FAA is included in that code nothing will change. Now If the site owner starts asking questions about registration I would be inclined to suggest to the membership that in order to protect what we have a investment in we might want to comply to satisfy the site owner. I'm not sure just how many of you have lost than had to rebuild a flying site from scratch but it's a lot of work and money. I've been there and done that.
Mike
Old 12-31-2015, 09:24 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Really None of thing crap means a pinch of Sheit to 99% of us especially here ... I don't fly any where but our club field (Float flying excluded) so the only thing that might be bothered with is the 400 foot thing but rarely. How many of us fly at other than our fields or fly Quads else where? I'd guess not many.