Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

EC Meeting 10/31/15

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

EC Meeting 10/31/15

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 06:26 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EC Meeting 10/31/15

Here's something to read when your bored.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecminutes.aspx

Somewhere someone was asking about a age breakdown of the membership, 1/3rd is over 60.

"Dan Bott reported that 33% of AMA’s existing member base is over 60 years of age; a significant portion of those members will pass on their estate to beneficiaries. In order to attract these assets we must educate the membership of their options and we must ask for the donation."

IRS audit for 2013 which is no big deal it happens all the time to Non-Profits

"The CFO advised Council that donations for lobbying efforts are not tax deductible. AMA has been notified they are under an IRS audit for the year 2013; this is not unexpected since we are a large non-profit and have been in the news lately. The EVP noted that a number of years ago the IRS made a pointed statement that they would be looking at 501c3 organizations. Council members/officers need to submit an updated list of assets purchased that cost $500/over to HQ; these items need to be depreciated against income that is not related to the non-profit side of the business."

Looks like a few took advantage of the renewal at the old rate.

"Finished 2015 with the highest member level ever, 188,666. Current membership numbers with an expiration date of Sept. 2016 or greater is 128,934."
Remember though over 50,00 are youth memberships who pay no dues.

Then there's more spending here and there.

Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 06:54 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Here's something to read when your bored.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecminutes.aspx

Somewhere someone was asking about a age breakdown of the membership, 1/3rd is over 60.

"Dan Bott reported that 33% of AMA’s existing member base is over 60 years of age; a significant portion of those members will pass on their estate to beneficiaries. In order to attract these assets we must educate the membership of their options and we must ask for the donation."

IRS audit for 2013 which is no big deal it happens all the time to Non-Profits

"The CFO advised Council that donations for lobbying efforts are not tax deductible. AMA has been notified they are under an IRS audit for the year 2013; this is not unexpected since we are a large non-profit and have been in the news lately. The EVP noted that a number of years ago the IRS made a pointed statement that they would be looking at 501c3 organizations. Council members/officers need to submit an updated list of assets purchased that cost $500/over to HQ; these items need to be depreciated against income that is not related to the non-profit side of the business."

Looks like a few took advantage of the renewal at the old rate.

"Finished 2015 with the highest member level ever, 188,666. Current membership numbers with an expiration date of Sept. 2016 or greater is 128,934."
Remember though over 50,00 are youth memberships who pay no dues.

Then there's more spending here and there.

Mike
I know it's early, but where are all the anti govt types complaining about the IRS auditing the AMA. Isn't this a chance to say the IRS targeted us because of our aggressive please stay out of our hobby position we took with the FAA? That would be a hard one to complain about though...since those same people previously complained the AMA didn't do enough. oops.

Interesting factoid on the membership age...see, now there's more info that people were looking for! Based on clubs I am part of, and those I visit, I would have pegged the over 60 number at at least 50%.

More spending you say.....i thought everyone worked for free? I do note that some of the suggested spending was for EC and VP members to make it to more national events like NALL, WRAM etc. Isn't this was people complained about in the past, that they didn't see AMA EC folks out and about enough?

Gotta spend money to make money I guess. Marketing the AMA and the hobby is not bad thing, and it's not free, so good to see money spent there. I see $5,000 came into the coffers from Horizon B-17 sales, nice!

Thanks for posting the link to this...I think it's something everyone should read. It gives great insight into what happens at these meetings.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:00 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83

More spending you say.....i thought everyone worked for free? I do note that some of the suggested spending was for EC and VP members to make it to more national events like NALL, WRAM etc. Isn't this was people complained about in the past, that they didn't see AMA EC folks out and about enough?

Thanks for posting the link to this...I think it's something everyone should read. It gives great insight into what happens at these meetings.

I found the Muncie site field upkeep costs were interesting

Mike.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:04 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
I know it's early, but where are all the anti govt types complaining about the IRS auditing the AMA. Isn't this a chance to say the IRS targeted us because of our aggressive please stay out of our hobby position we took with the FAA? That would be a hard one to complain about though...since those same people previously complained the AMA didn't do enough. oops.

Interesting factoid on the membership age...see, now there's more info that people were looking for! Based on clubs I am part of, and those I visit, I would have pegged the over 60 number at at least 50%.

Gotta spend money to make money I guess. Marketing the AMA and the hobby is not bad thing, and it's not free, so good to see money spent there. I see $5,000 came into the coffers from Horizon B-17 sales, nice!

Maniacal devotion, folks.
Like a worker bee defending it's hive.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

I found the Muncie site field upkeep costs were interesting

Mike.
Well they do have to keep it in good shape. The runway costs are high, but then again where are they cheap anywhere. Someone mentioned in a thread that they had just put 40k into their runway, I think it was verticlegrimace. Ouch. We looked into just getting our runway resurfaced and were quoted 3,000. We bought the stuff ourselves and did it for a grand. The cracks are more of a problem given the frost heaves we get. We've also considered the geotex system as well. I've flown off of that and loved it. Tougher to use in the Northeast though.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:40 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Maniacal devotion, folks.
Like a worker bee defending it's hive.
I work for honey, honey.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:59 AM
TimJ

Great post RCMiket.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:07 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TimJ
Great post RCMiket.
Thanks. I kinda wish more were interested in just what goes on in our organization. Every time the minutes are posted I'll try and start a new thread on it. I hope we can discuss them rather than beat one another up. Time will tell.

Mike
Old 12-30-2015, 08:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks. I kinda wish more were interested in just what goes on in our organization. Every time the minutes are posted I'll try and start a new thread on it. I hope we can discuss them rather than beat one another up. Time will tell.

Mike
It's hard not to find a thread that turns into a personal grudge match...but these kinds of threads are great if for no other reason that it's completely factual. We're all reading the same thing at the same time. Sure, people will put their spin on it, but it's black and white. It's specific and to who said what and why. I know its tough for our club sec to get all the comments down, it's got to be pretty difficult to get it all right at that level though.

A more informed membership is a better membership. It allows for transparency as well as accountability, and that is never bad.