Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Vettdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
That's all it would be is a guess. Most people,even flyers don't realize how high 400' is.
Next time you are at the field ask other pilots how high they think they are flying or how high is 400' ? You will probably be surprised at the answers. If you have someone there with a Q500 or Chroma quad have them take it up to 400' and show everyone how high it actually is ! Probably it will be higher than most realize.
I was thinking about this last weekend as I fly both thermal duration and jets.
I was at Six Flags with the family and looked up at the Oil Derrick. For grins I asked Siri how tall it was........it is only 300 feet. There is an extra 100 feet between that and our recommended ceiling. I'd be surprised if I have been over 400 with any of my jets. Not saying I haven't. Straight up is hard to judge. Two meter and open class F3J ships.......maybe from time to time.

I think it's much easier to fly 400'+ away horizontally than it is vertically. Horizontally you have the ground and horizon as a reference and can estimate distance accordingly. Looking up you have no point of reference other than the model's apparent size. Then again, I've never flown next to a giant Oil Derrick for reference either.

DISCLAIMER: These are just my opinions based on my flying styles and offered as an example of why I'm not going to worry about it.

Last edited by Vettdriver; 01-03-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:15 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I get over 400' every time I am messing around with spins.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:28 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
I get over 400' every time I am messing around with spins.

You could be a mile or so off, if measured by MSL!!
Old 01-03-2016, 06:47 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
We also had the military working at it with their big, ugly Unassisted Autonomous Vehicles [I think that's what they called them, or something stupid like that].
You got the initials right... Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
Old 01-03-2016, 06:54 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
You could be a mile or so off, if measured by MSL!!

Yeah, that sounds about right.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by TFF
When you sign up for drone license, you hit agree. Recommended has been around for a long time in a FAA Advisory Circular. In full scale aviation when talking to a tower, the tower will ask you to do something, it is not binding until you agree. Then it is expected. It is usually the right thing, but every once in a while you will hear" unable to comply" and then they will try to take your recommendation. The FAA is treating everyone just like full scale. Hit agree and it is binding.
Read it again. It say's "guideline". It is not actually a requirement. The only 400 foot requirement is for fields within 5 miles of an airport.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Read it again. It say's "guideline". It is not actually a requirement. The only 400 foot requirement is for fields within 5 miles of an airport.
That does not exist either. There are currently no actual altitude limits in any federal law, regulation, or rule.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
That does not exist either. There are currently no actual altitude limits in any federal law, regulation, or rule.
He was referring to the guidelines that are printed on the registration certificate.
Old 01-06-2016, 09:16 AM
Silent-AV8R

He was referring to the guidelines that are printed on the registration certificate.
Sorry, that does not exist either.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	register-agree.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	2139989  
Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Sorry, that does not exist either.
U'hh it says right there that they are guidelines. Are you saying they don't exist? Or that rules don't exist?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:20 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by H5606
Hey, wait a minute - I got to thinking about those standard, non-modeler, bystander questions - you know the ones: "How fast can it go?" "How high does it fly?" "How far away can you fly?" and thought therein lies the answer: 'Even If I tried to fly my half-scale model up to 400', it would become so small, I wouldn't be able to see it and then it wouldn't matter so therefore I never even get close.' Add to that: 'Anything any smaller can't even come close to approaching half that height without losing sight of it...'

The stress was taking its toll on me - I had several beers when I wrote the reply; I'll review it when I'm more clear-headed.
Don't know about all y'all but I used to answer those "innocent" questions truthfully - no longer. Fact is that NONE of my acft are capable of much more than about 70 mph, so that's OK for me. But the "how high" will now be answered by 399 feet, and "how far away" will always be 500 feet.

Let them prove any different.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Don't know about all y'all but I used to answer those "innocent" questions truthfully - no longer. Fact is that NONE of my acft are capable of much more than about 70 mph, so that's OK for me. But the "how high" will now be answered by 399 feet, and "how far away" will always be 500 feet.

Let them prove any different.
Perfect!
Old 01-06-2016, 11:06 AM
vertical grimmace

Our runway is 800' long. Most of the flying fields I have been to are at least 500'. I mention this to give perspective to the distance. 400' is not very high at all, especially with the bigger airplanes we fly. For those of you in the know, a 400' ceiling would effect many AMA rule book events. IMAC certainly comes to mind.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Our runway is 800' long. Most of the flying fields I have been to are at least 500'. I mention this to give perspective to the distance. 400' is not very high at all, especially with the bigger airplanes we fly. For those of you in the know, a 400' ceiling would effect many AMA rule book events. IMAC certainly comes to mind.
You could not compete in F3A and F3B either. People stare at 300 foot towers and think that looks plenty high, LOL. But get to that level and look down on the people. a 6 foot person looks about as tall as your plane wingspan when flying just above the pattern altitude.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:53 AM
TimJ

What Silent Aviator is stating, is there isn't a "federal law, regulation, or rule".

When you apply for the certificate, you are agreeing to fly below 400 feet.

Otherwise there's not any real law that states you must fly below 400 feet. There's only safety guidance. Of which the FAA is trying damn hard to make it seem like law. Once you apply for your registration certificate, you are then agreeing to fly below 400 feet. Now you are obligated to fly below 400 feet after you've registered.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

When you apply for the certificate, you are agreeing to fly below 400 feet.
Again it does't say that. You are only acknowledging that there are guidelines you will follow. To follow means generally not absolutely go by.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Again it does't say that. You are only acknowledging that there are guidelines you will follow. To follow means generally not absolutely go by.
The content contained in the image Silent-AV8R posted is very explicit to me. Not sure which part it along with the terms and conditions you are agreeing to that you're unable to comprehend.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:50 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

To follow means generally not absolutely go by.
Absolute Hogwash !

Sport , Buddy , Do me a favor , will ya ?

Go to your bathroom mirror , look yourself straight in the eyes , and repeat what you printed that I quoted above .

Bonus points if you do it with your Wife within hearing distance ,

And then come back here and report the results !

(If your head doesn't explode , like in the cheezy 80s scifi movie "Scanners", that is)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:50 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
The content contained in the image Silent-AV8R posted is very explicit to me. Not sure which part it along with the terms and conditions you are agreeing to that you're unable to comprehend.
That is what I am thinking about you guys. In plain English it states "I wil fly below 400 feet" . You have to agree to that to continue the registration process.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For sure guys! All, after my last post are correct. My own field is 800' wide, 1800-2400' long PLUS hundreds of acres of cow and corn fields. However, to have the FAA registration, the correct answer to ANY question (the answer that will keep "the masses" happy) should be within FAAs limits - whether they be laws or not. My answer to the "how far out" question, even if it's obvious that my plane is 2500' away from me, will still be "500 feet". My answer to the "how high" question, even if it's obvious that my plane is around 1000', will still be "399 feet".

Let them prove differently.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by G4guy
Sorry, that's not what I'm asking. 400' AGL, 400' MSL, can you show me where it says I CANNOT fly above that altitude. A control tower or any flight controlling agency, approach, departure or center is MSL. Do I need the local altimeter setting? If I fly on a hill top, 400' above me or over that side of the hill or valley. Where do I measure??
Exactly..!! We have an area on a mountain side that a few guys slope soar on with their gliders which is 1300 ft. above the ambient area (AGL) which is at 4000 ft. above MSL. Same situation stupid Government FAA idiots...
Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In "Code Talk", Safety Guidance seems to be softer language than calling a set of rules Safety Rules or Safety Code.

Also, "I shall not" or "I shall never fly above 400 feet" is stronger than saying "I will not".
If you want to get literal, "I will not" means that you will never willingly do something.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:09 PM
SkidMan
My Feedback: (17)

Originally Posted by TimJ
That is what I am thinking about you guys. In plain English it states "I will fly below 400 feet" . You have to agree to that to continue the registration process.
Just some thinking out loud. No I'm not making a legal argument.

They could have worded the safety guidance you accept when registering as, "I will not fly higher than 400 feet," instead of "I will fly below 400 feet."

Since I still have some lingering teenage smart alec in me, it seems like a person could say, "Yeah. I'll fly below 400 feet and I'll also fly higher than 400 feet."

Last edited by SkidMan; 01-06-2016 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by TimJ
That is what I am thinking about you guys. In plain English it states "I wil fly below 400 feet" . You have to agree to that to continue the registration process.
That's exactly what it says to me and it couldn't possibly be any more explicit. By clicking the check box and submitting the form you are agreeing to it which, IMHO, would be legally binding.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:10 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by SkidMan
Just some thinking out loud. No I'm not making a legal argument.

They could have worded the safety guidance you accept when registering as, "I will not fly higher than 400 feet," instead of "I will fly below 400 feet."

Since I still have some lingering teenage smart alec in me, it seems like a person could say, "Yeah. I'll fly below 400 feet and I'll also fly higher than 400 feet."
Now that's awesome. LOL

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
That's exactly what it says to me and it couldn't possibly be any more explicit. By clicking the check box and submitting the form you are agreeing to it which, IMHO, would be legally binding.
This is what I'm thinking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.