Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 12:49 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Just Boston...how about we say from mid Jersey on up to mid Maine?
Ive got some land and some relatives near Bar Harbor , and my family up there calls us Mass. drivers "Mass holes" for our rude driving habits .
Old 01-10-2016, 12:53 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

FAA just said that the wording of the 400 foot guideline on the registration is under review.

They had a chance to say "yes, 400 feet is the limit" and they did not.

Edit: reported from convention

Last edited by mr_matt; 01-10-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:58 PM
mr_matt

AMA followed up and said there is no statutory limit. FAA did not argue the point
Old 01-10-2016, 01:35 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was AMA able to get them to agree to use AMA membership in lieu of registration?
Old 01-10-2016, 01:57 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
FAA just said that the wording of the 400 foot guideline on the registration is under review.

Awesome!!!!
Old 01-10-2016, 02:08 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Was AMA able to get them to agree to use AMA membership in lieu of registration?
No. Said it was an IT issue. Not off the table. AMA basically implied that we should go ahead and register. So it appears the reason to hold off was the possibility to use the AMA number. That looks dead for now (at least in time for 19 Feb)
Old 01-10-2016, 02:13 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Ive got some land and some relatives near Bar Harbor , and my family up there calls us Mass. drivers "Mass holes" for our rude driving habits .
We might be guilty of using that phrase as well in CT.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:15 PM
RCFlyerDan

No. Said it was an IT issue. Not off the table. AMA basically implied that we should go ahead and register. So it appears the reason to hold off was the possibility to use the AMA number. That looks dead for now (at least in time for 19 Feb)
I am going to still hold off on registering with hope that the 400' wording is changed by the FAA or it's IT.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:16 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Did you make the Expo? How did the Q and A go...did you see if it was taped or not?
Old 01-10-2016, 02:22 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
I am going to still hold off on registering with hope that the 400' wording is changed by the FAA or it's IT.
He said "its under review," but then again I doubt he'd walk into that audience and drop a bombshell like a hard 400' limit. While it still might not happen, I don't know how they're going to maintain traffic separation from full scale if they allow unrestricted flights up in same airspace as manned aircraft.

Time will tell.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:04 PM
mr_matt

He said "its under review," but then again I doubt he'd walk into that audience and drop a bombshell like a hard 400' limit. While it still might not happen, I don't know how they're going to maintain traffic separation from full scale if they allow unrestricted flights up in same airspace as manned aircraft.

Time will tell.
I was surprised when Hoot Gibson turned out to be working for the FAA now, in UAS integration. He has between an AMA ambassador for a long time.

He (FAA) made a lot of references to 336 and CBO. I got no feeling that Hoot was hiding anything about 400 feet. But some people see wolves everywhere. Who knows.

I am going to go ahead and register.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:35 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
;;;;;;
And pray tell How many AG Planes have flown directly over or even within 1 mile of any ones AMA flying site.
I can say at least one last summer made about 10 trips in and out of the Airport on which our
RC field is located. that's here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oc...2f7545fd?hl=en
Old 01-10-2016, 03:42 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
As expected.....
LOL... you called it.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-10-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:47 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by jelge
YES! a court would uphold the guidelines. There was a case a while back where an Ag pilot hit an unmarked tower and died. The tower was shorter than the law actually required to be marked but there was separate guidance in the form of an "AC" from the FAA on how to mark the tower and the court upheld it and found the tower owner liable for the accident. This was a big win for aviation because these nearly invisible unmarked towers were popping up all over the place just few inches shorter than the law required marking and they represent an extreme hazard to low flying aircraft.
Thanks, that was my expectation also, I know it would be the case too in many other countries.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:49 PM
franklin_m

I was surprised when Hoot Gibson turned out to be working for the FAA now, in UAS integration. He has between an AMA ambassador for a long time.

He (FAA) made a lot of references to 336 and CBO. I got no feeling that Hoot was hiding anything about 400 feet. But some people see wolves everywhere. Who knows.

I am going to go ahead and register.

Different guy. The FAA's "Hoot Gibson" is Marke Gibson ( https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=83628 ). The "Hoot Gibson" that's been the AMA ambassador is Robert L Gibson ( http://www.modelaircraft.org/news/HootGibson.aspx ).
Old 01-10-2016, 03:51 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
And pray tell How many AG Planes have flown directly over or even within 1 mile of any ones AMA flying site.
I can say at least one last summer made about 10 trips in and out of the Airport on which our
RC field is located. that's here https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oc...2f7545fd?hl=en
That's great, but just because it happens at your field, doesn't mean it happens everywhere. One field we lost in central CA was because the crop dusters didn't want to be bothered by having to adjust their approach to the field in any way.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:56 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace

Not really sure how any of this effects you downunder anyway. We are talking about the AMA and the FAA in the U.S. You guys make up your own rules, and we will make up ours.
None of this affects me at all when flying down under.

However, I have a great interest in this topic as my full size job involves flying an N registered jet with an FAA ATP Licence, we spend on average 3 months of each year in the USA (mainly Arizona) and while there I fly RC regularly.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-10-2016 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typos.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:40 PM
RCFlyerDan

Originally Posted by Rob2160
None of this affect me at all when flying down under.

However, I have a great interest in this topic as my full size job involves flying an N registered jet with an FAA Licence, we spend on average 3 months of each year in the USA (mainly Arizona) and while there I fly RC regularly.
Moving Down Under for r/c jet and IMAC flying!!

Rob; This subject would concern me too with an FAA ATP. I truly see this is not the end of these restrictions, but the beginning. I soon see that the FAA/FAA Medical will soon be tied to r/c models. Why? Because they can! I also see, that if a pilot lost his medical for a none r/c issue; that if he can't legally fly as a full scale, the pilot can't fly r/c. Not to mention how the FAA medical is tied to our driver's license for DUI's, speeding tickets, etc. Too many DUI's or speeding tickets, a pilot looses his medical, thus looses his job and the way he was trained to make a living.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:50 PM
HoundDog

Time will tell.
They can'tmaintain traffic separation from full scale but it's strictly such an infinitesimally small chance even being with in 5 miles of an air port ... If it was such a great danger there would be hundreds if not thousands of GA planes being shot down by What the FAA considers DRONES. Simple Mark all 2,366 AMA and any city state or other Model Fling field be designated like Towers, Ultra light & shy diving or High activity areas like flight training areas as ALERT AREAS It's the Pilot of Full Scale GA aircraft obligation to SEE and well as BE SEEN.
An area of 1/4 mile Radius up to 1500' is not a lot to ask. It's less than two tenths of a square mile in area where just 1 airport of 5 mile radius covers 78.53 Square Miles.. That's 3,948 Times the size of 1 R/C Flight area. If all 2366 AMA fields had a 1/4 mile radius protected area that's less area than just 6 airports of the Over 1200 towered airports.

According to government issued databases, there are about 14000 airports in the U.S. Of those only about 5000 have paved runways. And out of that 5000, there are only 376 that have regularly scheduled airline service.
According to the CIA World Factbook (refer to the link, below), there were 14,951 airports in the fifty U.S. States, as of 2008. As of 2010, the CIA reports that there were 15,079 airports in the United States.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Ray93J

The 400 foot "rule" seems to have odd history This was first published in 1981, FAA AC 91-57. clearly states 400 feet limit. This AC was replaced in Sept 2015 by AC 91-57A, which has no limit specified. The AMA web site calls out AC 91-57, I contacted them when 91-57A was released. They told me they had some objections to the AC, therefore they only reference 91-57.

So, the FAA sUAS certificate calls out 400 feet, the AMA says there is no limit specified. So, it appears to me both sides are "cherry picking" through the documents. What can you expect when this was all done in 5 weeks.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:27 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by jelge
YOU are the one comparing aircraft to other vehicles and equipment wanting horns and such.

I just mentioned horns as one means of an alert system.

YOU are the one insisting the pilot should have risked killing himself for an unseen and unknown hazard. I find it highly doubtful you would have done differently. It is very easy to Monday morning quarterback and karma is *****. I hope you do not have find out what it is like to think you are in the clear only to find out differently afterwards then have everyone pick apart your actions without any pertinent information what so ever.

So you saying the pilot was justified in killing an innocent civilian on the ground in order to minimize risk to himself and his aircraft?

You seem to think I favor adding regulations. If that is the case... YOU ARE WRONG! Unfortunately the explosion of technology and the abuse of that technology is forcing the issue. I hate it when the majority is punished for the actions of a few.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:30 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Happens all the time in NE Texas. No big deal.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
It would be impossible to identify anyone within a 100ft when flying that aircraft.
Not really, I fly 550 size helis and do aerobatics with them. I position myself at the far end of a park so the single entrance point is clearly within my field of view. Its actually hard to miss people even 300 feet away and if they start walking towards me I land.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-10-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:42 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I'll answer both posts. Yes, I fly at a school field that's big enough for me to see 100' in all directions from my heli. I'm not so overtasked flying mentally that I can't scan from time to time around me -- in the jet we call it mission cross check time. It's like a little alarm clock that goes off in your head every few seconds. I've been trained to do it for 20+ years and it works. Now maybe that's too much for you, in which case you probably need to plan for that and allow a lot more space, controls, or not fly. Even when I'm flying at a club field, I'm the guy that "notices" everything - cars driving up, out of control aircraft, etc. Again, decades of training to develop and maintain situational awareness in environments that are much more mentally tasking, where things move much faster, and where if you're wrong they send a chaplain to your house.

So yes, I can scan the area, maintain situational awareness, and if someone comes into the area at all, dog on or off leash, then I land.

So your entire justification for "you" to fly at a public school without need for AMA is based solely on your training and flying style? Are you implying no one else should be allowed to fly there due to their lack or training of the fact that they may fly a more demanding flight routine that may affect their situational awareness?

As for the other failures, they're prevented through thorough preflights, redundancy (in some cases), failsafes, and operational limits that allow if something does happen, it's damage to the aircraft only. In case you haven't noticed, helis are inherently unstable, and absent control and if at low altitude, they generally crash within a few rotor diameters if you lose signal.

How do you pre-flight for a potential catastrophic servo failure? How about an internal short in a battery? What redundancies have you implemented on your aircraft?

And no...in over 10 years of flying so far, I've not had one flyaway. EVER. Because I know the limits of my equipment, expect failures, plan for them, and then impose on myself operational limitations that even if everything goes wrong at once, only the aircraft is destroyed.

Sounds impressive, but as you're well aware, there's only so much you can do. Additionally, how would you know the limits of you equipment unless you've tested it to the point of failure?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:05 PM
HoundDog

That's great, but just because it happens at your field, doesn't mean it happens everywhere. One field we lost in central CA was because the crop dusters didn't want to be bothered by having to adjust their approach to the field in any way.
Apparently the AMA members didn't care enough to fight for their field.

0WI8 a private restricted airport that has been in existence for for over 85 years has it's days numbered. Thought it was gone 10 years ago when the Owner was selling off the family farm 5/8 of a mile south of our airport and started selling quarter acre lots for $78K to $110K then the housing crisis hit and we got a reprieve. Well 2 years ago a housing area was started 2200 feet to the SSE from where stand to fly and worse yet we fly toward them. We Might be able to keep our R/C field by going all electric. Who Knows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.