Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:12 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
If indeed the FAA is going to change language to more clearly allow flight above 400', my concern is that the AMA will use it to compel membership. If that's the case, then I'll start writing some letters, as nowhere else in government am I aware of private dues collecting organizations are granted special privileges in public airspace, on waterways, or on roads that are not enjoyed by non-members. I suspect Congress would not be happy either to find out that AMA is using a public law to make people become members.
We are allowed now. The language needs to be solidified to not dis-allow it. Of course you want the limit. But you are a full scale guy first, and a modeler secondarily. The rub is, a limit is not justified at all. But you will never admit this.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Franklin_M said:

"If indeed the FAA is going to change language to more clearly allow flight above 400', my concern is that the AMA will use it to compel membership. If that's the case, then I'll start writing some letters, as nowhere else in government am I aware of private dues collecting organizations are granted special privileges in public airspace, on waterways, or on roads that are not enjoyed by non-members. I suspect Congress would not be happy either to find out that AMA is using a public law to make people become members."

Again with the FAA forcing people to join the AMA......another self prescribed AMA doom and gloom prophecy. It is never enough?

Last edited by porcia83; 01-17-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:02 PM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I am serious, but only to the point hat everybody is making too much of it. Even it it did much damage the FAA won't care. The UL people say they dont' much care for the FAA and the FAA doesn't care for them. They like it that way.
Restraints collapsed. But SP, that and your previous post are completely absurd and borderline asinine. If you seriously believe that then sadly you must believe Tinker Bell is alive and well. Sad...
h
Old 01-17-2016, 03:25 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Franklin_M said:

"If indeed the FAA is going to change language to more clearly allow flight above 400', my concern is that the AMA will use it to compel membership. If that's the case, then I'll start writing some letters, as nowhere else in government am I aware of private dues collecting organizations are granted special privileges in public airspace, on waterways, or on roads that are not enjoyed by non-members. I suspect Congress would not be happy either to find out that AMA is using a public law to make people become members."

Again with the FAA forcing people to join the AMA......another self prescribed AMA doom and gloom prophecy. It is never enough?
Membership has its privileges!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:41 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I'm hoping they get smart and go with a Gold Card (or Black even). The current blue one with the flame...meh. Not digging it!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:57 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Where did you dig up this piece of fantasy?? AMA has absolutely no such rule!! In fact, early on when there was talk of the FAA putting a 1,500 foot lateral limit on us the AMA fought that one hard.!!
Here Ya go I guess u don't check the AMA web Much.
http://amaflightschool.org/clubs/rec...ecifications-0

Old 01-17-2016, 05:43 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Learn to read. those are recommended and suggested. READ
Old 01-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by hook57
Restraints collapsed. But SP, that and your previous post are completely absurd and borderline asinine. If you seriously believe that then sadly you must believe Tinker Bell is alive and well. Sad...
h
I don't think you even know what that was about! Hint UL.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by warningshot
He doesn't know what a guideline is either.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:21 PM
Silent-AV8R

Here Ya go I guess u don't check the AMA web Much
I do in fact. And after a few decades of doing just that I comprehend the difference between the actual AMA rules and the various suggestions and guidelines they offer to members and clubs. I might suggest you spend some time learning the difference before you continue to present your misinformed opinion as some sort of fact.

To be clear, there are ABSOLUTELY no lateral limits on operation in any existing or proposed AMA rule.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:42 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by warningshot
Of course Like Much of what the AMA says and even FAAs Advisory Circulars like AC 91-57A are Recommendations and suggestions. But Then their Suggestions are taken more like rules. Prey tell what are the dimensions of the Fields & flight area U fly at, that U need to have a mile diameter protection from Real Airplanes and other Maned aircraft. At the main AMA registered field I fly at in the summer at 400' more than a quarter mile to our WEST we would be over a 4 lane restricted access HI WAY. At 2000' SE would be over a new subdivision housing area. Besides most small electric planes a Lot of us are flying can't/shouldn't be flown that far out because of their size and difficulty of judging their Orientation.

Do me a favor go to Google Maps (Satellite View) center on your favorite AMA Field. Right Click and set a Measure distance point. Now go Out 1/4 to 1/2 mile and see what is there U might be flying over between 1/4 and 1/2 mile away from U. Especially straight out in front of U.

. There is NO need to fly ANY R/C Plane farther than 1000' left or right of Your position. No Mater if it's a Giant Scale War Bird (20 Foot Wing span B-29) or an FPV Equipped Quad or Fixed wing for that mater. That's why the AMA MAKES Recommendations as to field size and flight area.

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-17-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:00 PM
Silent-AV8R

Well, let's see. The document you selected to cite as if it were an AMA rules starts with these words:

The suggested specifications detailed below..
Shortly after that we see these words:

The official AMA Safety Code remains the governing factor. All members and clubs should conduct their field operations in accordance with the Code.

But let's not let pass one final point. Notice that little "*" next to the lateral distances?? Well, let's see what the AMA says about those:

*Distances referenced may be increased or decreased according to site usage.
So I am not clear why this remains a point of debate. What you are trying to say are rules, are in fact, NOT RULES. Why you insist on spreading misinformation is beyond me, but I really wish you would stop. There are plenty of people already doing that, no need for you to join the chorus.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:15 PM
HoundDog

Well, let's see. The document you selected to cite as if it were an AMA rules starts with these words:

Shortly after that we see these words:

But let's not let pass one final point. Notice that little "*" next to the lateral distances?? Well, let's see what the AMA says about those:

So I am not clear why this remains a point of debate. What you are trying to say are rules, are in fact, NOT RULES. Why you insist on spreading misinformation is beyond me, but I really wish you would stop. There are plenty of people already doing that, no need for you to join the chorus.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 AM
hook57

I don't think you even know what that was about! Hint UL.
No hint needed SP. Educate yourself with your reading by pausing to comprehend the material before you spout off.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:49 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
There's a difference between real facts and facts based on opinion. Many forums are laden with facts based on opinion. Would a thread have any value if the majority of the facts were wrong?
CLASSIC!

"real" facts?

"facts" based on opinion?

Funniest post of all time!!!

Astro
Old 01-18-2016, 06:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
CLASSIC!

"real" facts?

"facts" based on opinion?

Funniest post of all time!!!

Astro
Thank you! It is an honor to have you bestow that title upon my post, especially considering the millions of posts here on RCU from which to choose from.

Oh wait, that's a fact based on opinion.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

No hint needed SP. Educate yourself with your reading by pausing to comprehend the material before you spout off.
When I say the FAA doesn't care about the UL community and visa versa that is sarcastic hyperbole. Something you clearly do not understand.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:48 AM
hook57

When I say the FAA doesn't care about the UL community and visa versa that is sarcastic hyperbole. Something you clearly do not understand.
ROFL! Again, you demonstrate that you are clueless in your comments. So you combine your exaggeration with negative rhetoric in your attempt to sound knowledgable! ROFL

Last edited by hook57; 01-18-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

ROFL! Again, you demonstrate that you are clueless in your comments. So you combine your exaggeration with negative rhetoric in your attempt to sound knowledgable! ROFL
Clearly you don't get it.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

. There is NO need to fly ANY R/C Plane farther than 1000' left or right of Your position. No Mater if it's a Giant Scale War Bird (20 Foot Wing span B-29) or an FPV Equipped Quad or Fixed wing for that mater. That's why the AMA MAKES Recommendations as to field size and flight area.
When you state that there is no need to fly ANY R/C plane farther than 1000' I can only guess you never fly sailplanes, I have chased thermals a lot farther than 1000 feet laterally.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:11 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread is just friggin' retarded. You guys all roll up on the short bus or something?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:18 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
This thread is just friggin' retarded. You guys all roll up on the short bus or something?
I hope you're not jealous you didn't receive the "Funniest post of all time!!!" award.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Silent-AV8R

Latest from the AMA. Recap of their meetings with the FAA late last week.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ary-15-and-16/
Old 01-18-2016, 07:47 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Latest from the AMA. Recap of their meetings with the FAA late last week.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...ary-15-and-16/
Good news!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:50 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by pkoury
When you state that there is no need to fly ANY R/C plane farther than 1000' I can only guess you never fly sailplanes, I have chased thermals a lot farther than 1000 feet laterally.
Never again when the FAA is done F'n with Toy airplanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.