Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 08:00 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
This thread is just friggin' retarded. You guys all roll up on the short bus or something?
OOPs
Old 01-18-2016, 10:45 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I hope you're not jealous you didn't receive the "Funniest post of all time!!!" award.
I would give it to you for the "two dollars" video link... that was genuinely funny in the context.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:16 AM
rcmiket

Good news!
Seems to be the same stuff posted by the "management" as last time.
Mike
Old 01-19-2016, 06:28 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Seems to be the same stuff posted by the "management" as last time.
Mike
Did you read it? The meeting they had just took place a few days ago.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 01-19-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I would give it to you for the "two dollars" video link... that was genuinely funny in the context.
Thanks Rob, I'm glad someone thought it was funny. I cracked myself up posting that video, but you're the first one to mention it.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:33 AM
rcmiket

Did you read it? .
Yes I did. Same concerns we have had all along along with "they are working with" what's new? I'd like a update on what's going to happen with the DC flying fields. So far nothing .

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 01-19-2016 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:47 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yes I did. Same concerns we have had all along along with "they are working with" what's new?

Mike
You can do your own comparison. I'll maintain a face-to-face meeting with the FAA to discuss the issues is great news.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:27 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

You can do your own comparison. I'll maintain a face-to-face meeting with the FAA to discuss the issues is great news.
LoL....just another reason to complain about the AMA and apply some bizarre standard where they have to update all of the membership with every last thing they are doing, at every step of the way. If they had provided an update on that issue (which was completely different than the registration issues), they could get lambasted for mixing the two issues, or perhaps not providing an updated on something else...anything else!

There is a separate group dealing solely with the field closings in the DC area. They provided a recent update and said they are working on the issue. It's senseless to provide multiple press releases when things haven't changed, you know it would just be another issue to complain about, look how many releases that say nothing new! Jeez. When they have something to report, they will report. This is all done on the FAA's schedule...not the AMAs.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Yes I did. Same concerns we have had all along along with "they are working with" what's new? I'd like a update on what's going to happen with the DC flying fields. So far nothing .

Mike
Yes,the DC fields are important, but considering it's in the low 20Fs there now, it's January, it impacts a relatively small number of AMA members I'm not sure it's an urgent item right now.

Registration impacts all AMA members in the entire country so I understand them focusing their efforts on that right now. Not saying they're not working on the DC issue, but when you have a very limited staff due to a cost conscious membership that complains about every penny they spend you can only do so much at a time with what you have.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:38 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Did you see this Rob?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3AWWM_wPHlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-19-2016, 09:53 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Did you know for a long time you did not have to agree to any that is located on the I Agree page?

You could bypass it. So many of us that registered with the FAA and did not agree with X like flying under 400 feet.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:10 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by crash99
Did you know for a long time you did not have to agree to any that is located on the I Agree page?

You could bypass it. So many of us that registered with the FAA and did not agree with X like flying under 400 feet.

Did you know that many lawyers in the UAV community have stated that this constitutes fraud?

For me I'd rather accept the AMA's word on their discussions than commit outright fraud.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:16 AM
rcmiket

So this is the first face to face meeting? Surely you jest.

Mike
Old 01-19-2016, 10:16 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
LoL....just another reason to complain about the AMA and apply some bizarre standard where they have to update all of the membership with every last thing they are doing, at every step of the way. If they had provided an update on that issue (which was completely different than the registration issues), they could get lambasted for mixing the two issues, or perhaps not providing an updated on something else...anything else!

There is a separate group dealing solely with the field closings in the DC area. They provided a recent update and said they are working on the issue. It's senseless to provide multiple press releases when things haven't changed, you know it would just be another issue to complain about, look how many releases that say nothing new! Jeez. When they have something to report, they will report. This is all done on the FAA's schedule...not the AMAs.

Who's complaining?

Mike
Old 01-19-2016, 10:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Didn't say that, however, you do realize that traveling to meetings costs $$$$?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:44 AM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by Lifer
I've been flying for a long time without any altitude limit except the limits of my vision. Now that we have a Federally imposed altitude limit the question arises, just how does one determine a 400 foot altitude?

How will the Model Airplane Police come to my field and factually determine I have exceeded 400 feet?

I have thought about measuring a 400 foot string and attach a helium balloon to it and have someone from a distance away letting me know when I exceed the 400 foot level.

Are there devices that can determine my altitude other than an on-board device?

Any thoughts?
Just ran across this in Flying Giants: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=192301
Old 01-19-2016, 12:02 PM
rcmiket

That hasn't been a issue in the past has it? As I recall in the AMA EC minutes they increased travel expenditures for the VP's seems like they could scrap up some cash to meet with the FAA.

Mike
Old 01-19-2016, 12:08 PM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
Have you been following the AMA website at all?

Chad Budreau January 8, 2016 at 14:34
We are making progress. Marke Gibson, the FAA’s senior adviser for UAS integration, yesterday confirmed that this is being investigated and “we are looking at ways to get some relief.” There is a team from District IV that is actively working to find a resolution. We anticipate a solution soon.

Chad Budreau January 11, 2016 at 14:08
We have a team of volunteers, board members, staff, and legal counsel addressing this almost daily with the FAA. The FAA confirmed this is “not permanent” at CES and again indicated this is being reviewed with our help at the AMA Expo.

Exactly what else are they supposed to do, other than be in touch on an almost daily basis....reasonably? Face to face isn't going to be a bit of difference, and would only result in people complaining about the travel expense, as well as probably annoy the people form the FAA who are probably working on more serious issues than our clubs being closed down. This decision wasn't made solely be the FAA out of the blue, there are other agencies involved here.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Just ran across this in Flying Giants: http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...d.php?t=192301

Same info was given be the AMA spokesperson after the Expo...would probably look to the AMA and FAA for guidance rather than a reviewer from a website.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Who's complaining?

Mike
LoL..right, I guess we're going to split hairs....this sure didn't seem like a non complaint:

Is this new age praise?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:49 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Be sure to watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOeo...3s&app=desktop
Old 01-19-2016, 01:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
Did you see this Rob?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3AWWM_wPHlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Geea that was hard to watch. Just dizzy, that's all I get from it.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Sport_Pilot

You don't have to travel to meetings anymore.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:11 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
You don't have to travel to meetings anymore.
That mentality is why so many clubs are run so poorly. Many modelers simply don't understand or value the relationship building that comes with face to face meetings. It's no surprise that more business transactions take place on the golf course than anywhere else in the world.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Sport_Pilot

That mentality is why so many clubs are run so poorly. Many modelers simply don't understand or value the relationship building that comes with face to face meetings. It's no surprise that more business transactions take place on the golf course than anywhere else in the world.
Video meetings are as or almost as productive as live meetings. Live meetings outside of local meetings are becoming rare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.