Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
" All legal options are being considered"

OK so then they are not "as close" as they say. If we were that close than why the "all legal actions" I think being realistic and upfront about all of this with the members would be a very good idea. Seem like rumors and speculation is all we get. If playing nice works so well then why is the AMA involved in lawsuits against the FAA?
Mike
Sounds to me like they're being realistic and upfront. I think you're simply not understanding the process and have unrealistic expectations as to how long it takes to resolve these types of issues.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:36 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your so called information is really non information. There is nothing factual about any of his posts and when people ask for clarification there's no response.

You missed this post from from "Chad".

"We are close to finding relief. All legal options are being considered, but for a more immediate solution we believe we will have more success advocating directly to the FAA. Legal options can take months or years. "

This is little to no comfort to the ones who are grounded. Were close but it could take years?

Mike
So as expected the response from the AMA isn't enough...not that you saw it before I posted it and prior to you saying nothing was being communicated by them. It's never enough for you, nothing they seem to say or do meets your expectations. That's cool but at the end of the day they are the only ones working with the faa...and they can't perform magic. Not one person here has presented an alternative to them nor come up with a reasonable or actionable plan to deal with the remaining issues. Yes Chad is not going to respond to every question or comment...as most new questions have already been answered earlier and some are just combative and venting in nature..blaming the AMA etc etc.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:03 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Sounds to me like they're being realistic and upfront. I think you're simply not understanding the process and have unrealistic expectations as to how long it takes to resolve these types of issues.
What was I thinking?

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 07:07 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
So as expected the response from the AMA isn't enough...not that you saw it before I posted it and prior to you saying nothing was being communicated by them. It's never enough for you, nothing they seem to say or do meets your expectations. That's cool but at the end of the day they are the only ones working with the faa...and they can't perform magic. Not one person here has presented an alternative to them nor come up with a reasonable or actionable plan to deal with the remaining issues. Yes Chad is not going to respond to every question or comment...as most new questions have already been answered earlier and some are just combative and venting in nature..blaming the AMA etc etc.

Sorry. I don't consider a post on the AMA blog as a response from the AMA.
Just as I don't expect posts by individuals on this forum to be the official position either.
You might I don't. Now the you better register email from the AMA yesterday was a official position.
Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Amazon wants the airspace between 500 feet and 200 feet. The FAA will not normally admit it but congress never gave them authority to regulate airspace below the minimum altitudes. That airspace is also controversial because it is considered the property of the land owner as air rights.

Who's got deeper pockets us or them? That's my concern. Money can take care of a bunch placed in the right pockets. We all know how DC works.

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 07:15 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Sorry. I don't consider a post on the AMA blog as a response from the AMA.
Just as I don't expect posts by individuals on this forum to be the official position either.
You might I don't. Now the you better register email from the AMA yesterday was a official position.

Mike
So a response posted in a blog from an AMA employee assigned to the task force addressing the issue is not a response from the AMA? However, when the AMA guy responsible for obtaining RC flying fields states AMA/FAA policy for clubs (not posted on an official AMA website) that is Gospel?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:16 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

What was I thinking?

Mike
Sometimes I wish I knew, all other times I'm glad I don't.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:17 AM
rcmiket

So a response posted in a blog from an AMA employee assigned to the task force addressing the issue is not a response from the AMA? However, when the AMA guy responsible for obtaining RC flying fields states AMA/FAA policy for clubs (not posted on an official AMA website) that is Gospel?
The response was once again the AMA talking points Nothing new just the same stuff.
Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 07:18 AM
rcmiket

Sometimes I wish I knew, all other times I'm glad I don't.
You have no idea what your missing.

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

You have no idea what your missing.

Mike
Now that is a great comeback!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:19 AM
rcmiket

Now that is great comeback!
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 07:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Who's got deeper pockets us or them? That's my concern. Money can take care of a bunch placed in the right pockets. We all know how DC works.

Mike
Regardless of how deep their pockets are the FAA does not seem very receptive. Also there is a good possibility that the idea won't work at such low altitudes with criminals and just pissed off armed citizens. Also there is a limited range with electric batteries and its not like there is an Amazon at each corner. It's all experimental right now and even deep pockets may be hesitant to empty their pockets on a venture that may not work.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:42 AM
rcmiket

Regardless of how deep their pockets are the FAA does not seem very receptive. Also there is a good possibility that the idea won't work at such low altitudes with criminals and just pissed off armed citizens. Also there is a limited range with electric batteries and its not like there is an Amazon at each corner. It's all experimental right now and even deep pockets may be hesitant to empty their pockets on a venture that may not work.
The technology is already here. Sure there are problems but none that cannot be overcome including the FAA. The airspace we as modelers use is wanted for commercial use. It;s just that simple,

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/drone-delivery-is-already-here-and-it-works-2015-11-30

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 01-20-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:08 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

The technology is already here. Sure there are problems but none that cannot be overcome including the FAA. The airspace we as modelers use is wanted for commercial use. It;s just that simple,

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/drone-delivery-is-already-here-and-it-works-2015-11-30

Mike
Technology is only an enabler, it does not guarantee results. This is a business offering and it remains to be seen if this business offering will be cost effective and if consumers are willing to pay a premium for this service. Clearly this appears to be premium service and will be priced accordingly.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:08 AM
rcmiket

Technology is only an enabler, it does not guarantee results. This is a business offering and it remains to be seen if this business offering will be cost effective and if consumers are willing to pay a premium for this service. Clearly this appears to be premium service and will be priced accordingly.
Good point but right now Amazon Prime reports that they have 50 million US members paying that fee and 80 million paying that fee worldwide. Seems like there's already a market out there.

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Mike
And it works as good at 600 feet as 200 feet. Maybe better.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Good point but right now Amazon Prime reports that they have 50 million US members paying that fee and 80 million paying that fee worldwide. Seems like there's already a market out there.

Mike
People are paying that for other membership privileges and discounts, not drone delivery.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:30 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
Go back and re-read the link you posted earlier. Ask yourself:

1) How much will Prime Air cost the consumer?
2) Where will Prime Air be available?
3) Ask yourself, how much does conventional overnight delivery cost today?
4) What is the liability if a ~55lb Amazon drone hits a car traveling 65mph on a major US highway.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:08 AM
rcmiket

People are paying that for other membership privileges and discounts, not drone delivery.

4) What is the liability if a ~55lb Amazon drone hits a car traveling 65mph on a major US highway.

Bottom line does it matter? While I understand exactly what you guys are saying but Amazon ( along with others) have dedicated funds to get this done and they want our airspace to do it in. Funny thing about the cost of something. I never in a million years thought people would stand in line to pay for overpriced coffee but they do. I also thought I never have to register myself to play with model airplanes.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 01-20-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Bottom line does it matter?

Yes! Knowledge is power. IMHO understanding how and why things work they way they do in life is an important life skill.

While I understand exactly what you guys are saying but Amazon ( along with others) have dedicated funds to get this done and they want our airspace to do it in.

Getting it done is only part of the challenge. Whether consumers are willing to pay for this ultra premium service is another business challenge. It's not exactly "our" airspace.

Funny thing about the cost of something. I never in a million years thought people would stand in line to pay for overpriced coffee but they do.

How about the price of bottled water?

I also thought I never have to register myself to play with model airplanes.

You thought wrong.

Mike
Old 01-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't think a commercial drone is limited to 55 pounds, it can be as big as a truck. Right now they are talking about delivery from a local store or warehouse to your home, not replacing overnight delivery.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

and they want our airspace to do it in.
That airspace belongs to each land owner, not just to modeler's. So there are a lot of political as well as technical issues to overcome or simply dropped.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:41 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I don't think a commercial drone is limited to 55 pounds, it can be as big as a truck. Right now they are talking about delivery from a local store or warehouse to your home, not replacing overnight delivery.
I never said they're limited to ~55lbs. The ~55lb figure I referenced was in reference to what Amazon stated their drones weigh.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:48 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lifer
3500 years ago two Greek guys with angle measures standing a known distance apart could do it.

So I would guess the FAA can not do it.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:49 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

400 feet is a guideline. Recommended not to exceed within 5 miles of an airport. Outside the 5 miles do what you want. Think gliders, IMAC and pattern.

Ken

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.