Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Old 01-22-2016, 09:46 PM
Rob2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Makes me wonder if we had the electric power systems we have today at the time glow fuel was developed if glow would have ever made it. I think not. IMHO the remaining glow fuel days are numbered.
Yes a good question, I flew glow motors for over 25 years and have many happy memories starting with a Cox .049 at age twelve.

I first tried a ducted fan electric jet over ten years ago and the brushed motor was so underpowered it barely flew.

Brushless motors and LiPos changed everything.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-22-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:43 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, you totally missed the point. Posting negativity about LE doing their job, yes, doing their job. R/C modelers are not special. and not seizing the opportunity and being a role model for others on how to welcome and represent yourself to LE is disappointing.
I disagree with you. I totally got the point I was making. Based on the information we have from the video, I maintain this was handled poorly by the LEs. As far as the local RC guys, I did not comment on how they handled the situation. Maybe you were reading something into the post that was not there?

We can assume something more sensible was done before the LEs landed on that field, yet odds are it wasn't, due to the simple fact they did land on the field. Are the odds worth playing that this was not their first resort as to whom was to blame? Go for it if you like and get all the info of how it was handled, then let us know.

If I am wrong about the local LEs, I will retract any of my statements that may have been in error.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:13 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Luchnia
I disagree with you. I totally got the point I was making. Based on the information we have from the video, I maintain this was handled poorly by the LEs. As far as the local RC guys, I did not comment on how they handled the situation. Maybe you were reading something into the post that was not there?

We can assume something more sensible was done before the LEs landed on that field, yet odds are it wasn't, due to the simple fact they did land on the field. Are the odds worth playing that this was not their first resort as to whom was to blame? Go for it if you like and get all the info of how it was handled, then let us know.

If I am wrong about the local LEs, I will retract any of my statements that may have been in error.
Apparently the police were friendly and did not target that RC field specifically. They heard the report of a drone sighting at 3,100ft over the radio and happened to be flying past the field and noticed one of the pilots on the ground wearing FPV goggles.

This is why they landed but when the Club safety officer assured them it wasn't any of his club members they were happy and left. The Police didn't mention FAA registration at all. ( I got these details second hand but I think that is the gist of it)
Old 01-23-2016, 04:24 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

All's well that ends well. If I were the cop I would have probably done the same thing, it's a natural conclusion for him to have made. The club handled it well (per the video) and didn't take it to another level.

This will happen more and more, so clubs need to talk about it and come up with a plan. My club does, and this week I went to another clubs meeting and discussed this issue as well. They are on a busier street and about a mile away from an active runway, right in the approach. We had a copy of the FAA directions to local LE to go over as well. In short, bring the aircraft down, have a chat, have your card ready, and that is that. An "attitude" isn't going to help any situation.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by porcia83
All's well that ends well. If I were the cop I would have probably done the same thing, it's a natural conclusion for him to have made. The club handled it well (per the video) and didn't take it to another level.

This will happen more and more, so clubs need to talk about it and come up with a plan. My club does, and this week I went to another clubs meeting and discussed this issue as well. They are on a busier street and about a mile away from an active runway, right in the approach. We had a copy of the FAA directions to local LE to go over as well. In short, bring the aircraft down, have a chat, have your card ready, and that is that. An "attitude" isn't going to help any situation.
I agree and I would have done the same thing as well because if I were not properly trained and educated how would I have known that the local RC clubs are not the problem?

As you put it, "clubs need to come up with a plan". I think clubs need to address this issue and have a solid plan on how they will handle it - especially clubs in busy areas as they are more likely to encounter this. I question how many clubs will make the needed effort - they will deal with the results of the lack of effort they put in.

Out of all the variables, I think location of an RC field is probably the biggest one. Heavily populated areas are more likely to get reports and sightings of "drones" as most (not all) of your reckless drone flyers are kids and adults in neighborhoods that choose to do stupid acts. Any RC field in close proximity will have a lot to deal with.

We all know it will happen. It is just how we address it. I realize we do not have all the facts in the video, yet being solutions minded does not negate addressing when issues might have been mishandled. Calling out the possibility of someone not using good judgment does not need to be categorized as negative.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:26 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I agree and I would have done the same thing as well because if I were not properly trained and educated how would I have known that the local RC clubs are not the problem?

As you put it, "clubs need to come up with a plan". I think clubs need to address this issue and have a solid plan on how they will handle it - especially clubs in busy areas as they are more likely to encounter this. I question how many clubs will make the needed effort - they will deal with the results of the lack of effort they put in.

Out of all the variables, I think location of an RC field is probably the biggest one. Heavily populated areas are more likely to get reports and sightings of "drones" as most (not all) of your reckless drone flyers are kids and adults in neighborhoods that choose to do stupid acts. Any RC field in close proximity will have a lot to deal with.

We all know it will happen. It is just how we address it. I realize we do not have all the facts in the video, yet being solutions minded does not negate addressing when issues might have been mishandled. Calling out the possibility of someone not using good judgment does not need to be categorized as negative.
Yup, location is key. This particular club is on a heavily traveled road, and the local cops use this road as a bypass route when on calls, rather than go through the historical district close by. The proximate to the airstrip is the other issue. They recognize that one situation that gets out of control could easily doom this club, as it is also on town property. One of the very active members in the club is a former cop, and still has good connections with the town, so I would say they are in good hands.

The same should be said for anyone deciding to fly at a location other than a club as well. Keep a cool and calm head when approached by LE. You never know if they are were called by someone else to investigate, or really just want to chat because they are interested in getting into the hobby.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:13 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

My point, which you still don't understand, was based solely on your post and attitude towards the situation. They're LE, they're doing their job. You think they really need to call ahead to schedule an appointment with a bunch of guys at the flying field so they're not interrupted during their flight with an R/C aircraft or while they're having coffee and donuts.

That's how life works, you can never predict when LE is going to visit so it's always a good idea for a club and its members to be prepared not only on how to deal with the situation, but also how to capitalize on an opportunity to make the most of the situation to educate LE about the club, its operations, and contact information. Of course, cop an attitude, tell LE they're all wrong, and maybe, just maybe, you'll get an unwelcoming return visit.

Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; 01-23-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:10 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Makes me wonder if we had the electric power systems we have today at the time glow fuel was developed if glow would have ever made it. I think not. IMHO the remaining glow fuel days are numbered.
I'll agree with this , because once there aren't enough buyers to keep the manufacturing profitable , the glow engine manufacturing will cease . There will always be motorheads and folks with sentimental attachments to glow engines as a "niche market" , but as a mass market power source for our models ? Glow has already "seen it's days" and is "well past it's prime" . The Lipo was the very last nail in Glow's coffin as far as being the most employed power source in our hobby .

I liken it to Vacuum tubes , of which I am a Vacuum tube radio collector . There are literally thousands of Antique radio collectors who preserve Vacuum tube radios , even though the Vacuum tube past the torch onto the Transistor some 60 or so years ago .

Here's 4 of the real deal . Actual 1920s radios with Vacuum tubes , restored and playable . No "Thomas reproduction" junk here .....
Old 01-23-2016, 08:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
First page of 195 pages of the sUAV NPRM

Read the actual proposed changes in the last part of the document. Not the BS at the front.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Rob, what point were you trying to make with that 4:18 video..?
That an engine could make 4 props rotate fast enough to stir up the air..?
Do you understand why / how many ways an engine powered, toy scale quad is at a disadvantage / inferior to direct drive electric..?
Especially for the mass toy level market..?
If not, there isn't enough time to go into it here.
Do you understand the point that Vertical Grimace was trying to make or were you just looking for a reason to show us how ANYTHING is possible, no matter how impractical, mechanically flawed, archaic, unnecessarily complex, convoluted, Rube Goldbergish, Homer Simpsonish, economically unfeasible the contraption may be...?
Actually when it comes to larger drones, 4 cycle gas (not glow) engines have a major advantage over electric. Range! But probably too noisy for Amazon, but probably the likely choice for drones operating in navigable airspace.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

IMHO the remaining glow fuel days are numbered.
There are those like me that would only fly electric in micro's. Some wont fly that either. There will always be some.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Rob2160
Apparently the police were friendly and did not target that RC field specifically. They heard the report of a drone sighting at 3,100ft over the radio and happened to be flying past the field and noticed one of the pilots on the ground wearing FPV goggles.

This is why they landed but when the Club safety officer assured them it wasn't any of his club members they were happy and left. The Police didn't mention FAA registration at all. ( I got these details second hand but I think that is the gist of it)
They may have been friendly but the heilicopter was at risk, and trespassing. They should have sent a car.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:41 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
They may have been friendly but the heilicopter was at risk, and trespassing. They should have sent a car.
Seriously?? You clearly have no understanding about how the police operate and what they are allowed to do? Also, if the helicopter was trespassing why would a radio car not also be trespassing??
Old 01-23-2016, 08:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
I'll agree with this , because once there aren't enough buyers to keep the manufacturing profitable , the glow engine manufacturing will cease . There will always be motorheads and folks with sentimental attachments to glow engines as a "niche market" , but as a mass market power source for our models ? Glow has already "seen it's days" and is "well past it's prime" . The Lipo was the very last nail in Glow's coffin as far as being the most employed power source in our hobby .

I liken it to Vacuum tubes , of which I am a Vacuum tube radio collector . There are literally thousands of Antique radio collectors who preserve Vacuum tube radios , even though the Vacuum tube past the torch onto the Transistor some 60 or so years ago .

Here's 4 of the real deal . Actual 1920s radios with Vacuum tubes , restored and playable . No "Thomas reproduction" junk here .....
They still make vacuum tubes and vacuum tube hi fi.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Seriously?? You clearly have no understanding about how the police operate and what they are allowed to do? Also, if the helicopter was trespassing why would a radio car not also be trespassing??
I may be wrong, but only if the property was public. You are allowed to drive into an open driveway and/or walk to an open door. But you are not allowed to be on any other part of the property. I think that is pretty much true for all 50 states. But even if public property it was stupid because the helicopter was at risk of getting hit by a model.

And yes I do know and you clearly do not.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:05 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

yep , and ya can just walk right into any old Sears or Macys and buy a Vacuum tube radio or HI FI , Eh Sport ?

My point exactly was that yes they still DO exist , even after not being "MASS MARKET" for some 60 or more years . And It'll be the same for glow .

But neither will be as readily available in the future as they were in their heyday past .................................................. ....................

Last edited by init4fun; 01-23-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: forgot a word .....
Old 01-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Silent-AV8R

I may be wrong, but only if the property was public. You are allowed to drive into an open driveway and/or walk to an open door. But you are not allowed to be on any other part of the property. I think that is pretty much true for all 50 states. But even if public property it was stupid because the helicopter was at risk of getting hit by a model.

And yes I do know and you clearly do not.
Ok, I actually asked a friend of mine who was a deputy sheriff for 30 years about this, AND he flew in their SO's air unit. They can go/land anywhere they need to in the course of their duties as law enforcement officers. So I'll take his word over yours on this issue. A LEO does not "permission" to step onto any property if they are doing so in the course of their job. Now that is not to say they can enter your house, etc. But driving onto your land, or landing, does not constitute a search.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:17 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

First page of 195 pages of the sUAV NPRM

Read the actual proposed changes in the last part of the document. Not the BS at the front.
ALL RIGHT sport read what from where to in the 195 pages Is Your skull so thick or U so lazy U can't provide the Info Sorry but that's how it is.
Page 8 of 195 Explination of the NPM

A. Comments InvitedB. Availability of Rulemaking DocumentsI. Executive SummaryA. Purpose of the Regulatory ActionThis rulemaking proposes operating requirements to allow small unmanned aircraftsystems (small UAS) to operate for non-hobby or non-recreational purposes. A small UASconsists of a small unmanned aircraft (which, as defined by statute, is an unmanned aircraftweighing less than 55 pounds3) and equipment necessary for the safe and efficientoperation of that aircraft. The FAA has accommodated non-recreational small UAS usethrough various mechanisms, such as special airworthiness certificates, exemptions, andcertificates of waiver or authorization (COA). This proposed rule would be the next phaseof integrating small UAS into the NAS.The following are examples of possible small UAS operations that could beconducted under this proposed framework:
 Crop monitoring/inspection;
 Research and development;
 Educational/academic uses;
 Power-line/pipeline inspection in hilly or mountainous terrain;
 Antenna inspections;
 Aiding certain rescue operations such as locating snow avalanche victims;

This only covers UAS for Non recreational.
Where is the stuff for Us Please...

Last edited by HoundDog; 01-23-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 PM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Cool

Tubes have a wonderful sound! I do not have any tube audio, but have heard them. I love vintage audio gear. Here is part of my mancave setup. My speakers are original M&K S-1's and 2 glass top 12" M&K volkswoofers (not in picture).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160112_173108.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2143019  
Old 01-23-2016, 06:27 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

yep , and ya can just walk right into any old Sears or Macys and buy a Vacuum tube radio or HI FI , Eh Sport ?

My point exactly was that yes they still DO exist , even after not being "MASS MARKET" for some 60 or more years . And It'll be the same for glow .

But neither will be as readily available in the future as they were in their heyday past

.................................................. ..................
There is a certain connection with high performance motor sports that only the high revving, alky drinking 2 cycle engines can provide..
I also prefer a power source that gains power and loses weight as the tank empties out.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:56 PM
HoundDog

Here's 4 of the real deal . Actual 1920s radios with Vacuum tubes , restored and playable . No "Thomas reproduction" junk here ....
Wrong again INIT Glow is alive and well. Granted Lipos
have made a difference as have ARF's and Foam
airplanes.
Lipos still don't have the power to weight ratio (ie flight time) of either Glow fuel or Gas or even Jet A or Kero that Turbines have. Likewise a 3 to 4 minute flight in an Electric ducted fan and an 30 to 45 minute charge are barley tolerable. A glow engine doesn't HAVE to be back on the ground in 6 minutes or ruin the expensive batteries... Also Motors and speed controls & Lipos are still expensive and sensitive. Then the support equipment is expensive. Chargers, Power supplies and Power source ie a Large expensive Deep Cycle Battery or a thousand dollar generators. Lipos are very sensitive and dangerous when mishandled.
The Next generation of Battery Technology will make Electric more viable and eventually less expensive. It will not Religate GLOW to the museum.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:15 PM
Rob2160

airplanes.
Lipos still don't have the power to weight ratio (ie flight time) of either Glow fuel or Gas or even Jet A or Kero that Turbines have. Likewise a 3 to 4 minute flight in an Electric ducted fan and an 30 to 45 minute charge are barley tolerable. A glow engine doesn't HAVE to be back on the ground in 6 minutes or ruin the expensive batteries... Also Motors and speed controls & Lipos are still expensive and sensitive. Then the support equipment is expensive. Chargers, Power supplies and Power source ie a Large expensive Deep Cycle Battery or a thousand dollar generators. Lipos are very sensitive and dangerous when mishandled.
The Next generation of Battery Technology will make Electric more viable and eventually less expensive. It will not Religate GLOW to the museum.

I'll happily agree with you on flight times but some of these top acro multicopters now have thrust to weight ratios around 14 to 1. That is based on the entire flying weight, not just the motors. e.g. 14 lb thrust in a 1 lb. model.

Maybe that thrust to weight ratio also exists in glow powered fixed wing aircraft too but personally I have not seen one. Would love to if anyone has a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6sz8bquB50

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-23-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:41 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

airplanes.
It appears the Doggie doesn't get out of the coop much. IMHO Nitro is dying a slow death. Sure you may be in denial, but check with the LHS or the manufactures and see how much nitro they're selling these days. I got rid of my last 5 cases of nitro two years ago and never looked back. At $30+/gallon for 30% that ~$1k generator gets cheap fast. Take a look around and notice how some once popular glow engines are slowly starting to disappear as well.

No doubt it depends on the specific application to determine the best fuel source wither it be gas, glow, or electric, but in the mainstream mid-sized stuff electric has taken over.

I don't miss the slime or the noise one bit, good riddance. I still have two glow engines in my hangar, but that's only because I'm too lazy to sell them.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 PM
Rob2160

I don't miss the slime or the noise one bit, good riddance. I still have two glow engines in my hangar, but that's only because I'm too lazy to sell them.
100% agreed, I enjoyed the glow days but don't miss them at all. Even though it has been unused for years and cleaned many times my original Kraft radio still feels "greasy" from 20 years of flying glow planes.

By comparison the 5 year old JR 11X is pristine clean and I love that aspect of flying electrics. (But I am envious of Init's Rotary, that is a sweet motor)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpeg
Views:	211
Size:	806.1 KB
ID:	2143102  

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-23-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:50 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I'll happily agree with you on flight times but some of these top acro multicopters now have thrust to weight ratios around 14 to 1. That is based on the entire flying weight, not just the motors. e.g. 14 lb thrust in a 1 lb. model.

Maybe that thrust to weight ratio also exists in glow powered fixed wing aircraft too but personally I have not seen one. Would love to if anyone has a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6sz8bquB50
Don't Look much like a traditional Model air plane. What it is is a Dam good FPV racing platform that flies for may be 3 minutes. at best. But that's what is so great about this hobby. It's so varied that if U can't find something U like, then go buy a sail boat, a Lawn chair & a 6 pac. Then When U sober up U can wonder where the boat went

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.