Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Old 01-24-2016, 01:29 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
What our doggie friend here is missing , is that no one is "dancing on Glow's grave" or singing "Ding dong the witch is dead' , it's just a simple fact that when I walk into my 5 closest LHS' I can (and do) buy all kinds of brushless motors , ESCs , Lipos , and all things electric flight right there in stock (cause it sells) VS needing to order all but the "new old stock" (meaning , been on the shelf forever) engine powered stuff and this even includes fuel ! I am quite happy that I have enough fuel and engines to power my glow planes plenty till someone else inherits it all but as Chris and I both say here , Glow has been pretty much relegated to "niche market" status at the hobby shops and flying fields at least near me . Those that are still flying engines are mostly doing gasoline now (even "gas/glow" , gasoline being fired by a glow plug) but the 80 or better % of flying I see , is electric . Me myself , the motorhead that I am , I likely fly 75% electric to 25% glow , just for not wanting to clean slime as Rob also mentioned . I do have a couple of gassers but don't have the experience with them that I've got with Glow ...
Yup, I flew glow for 20 years, have nothing against it, still have two glow engines, but no plans to purchase any in the foreseeable future. Still keeping all my glow starting equipment as well.

I also to attend several major events each year and have 4-5 different RC magazine subscriptions. Based on what I see and hear, glow has declined significantly in recent years and it continues to decline. My club used to do a bulk fuel purchase every year of a full skid, ~50 cases. Guess what? Not doing it this year.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow....Four Hundred Feet turned into a glow is out thread. BTW, glow is on its way out
Old 01-25-2016, 04:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

What our doggie friend here is missing , is that no one is "dancing on Glow's grave" or singing "Ding dong the witch is dead' , it's just a simple fact that when I walk into my 5 closest LHS' I can (and do) buy all kinds of brushless motors , ESCs , Lipos , and all things electric flight right there in stock (cause it sells) VS needing to order all but the "new old stock" (meaning , been on the shelf forever) engine powered stuff and this even includes fuel ! I am quite happy that I have enough fuel and engines to power my glow planes plenty till someone else inherits it all but as Chris and I both say here , Glow has been pretty much relegated to "niche market" status at the hobby shops and flying fields at least near me . Those that are still flying engines are mostly doing gasoline now (even "gas/glow" , gasoline being fired by a glow plug) but the 80 or better % of flying I see , is electric . Me myself , the motorhead that I am , I likely fly 75% electric to 25% glow , just for not wanting to clean slime as Rob also mentioned . I do have a couple of gassers but don't have the experience with them that I've got with Glow ...
I think if you look at the models on the market there are still a lot of glow models, even new versions such as the Tower .60 Kaos. They sell better than the engines because the models do not last as long.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:52 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think if you look at the models on the market there are still a lot of glow models, even new versions such as the Tower .60 Kaos. They sell better than the engines because the models do not last as long.
There are really not many designed for glo only anymore. Almost every new release including the Kaos .60 is designed for both electric or glo and they also provide the needed accessories for both.

Mike
Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
That electric stuff and multi-rotors is what got the FAA's attention in the first place. I have one air frame left. If I can't put in a glow engine and fly it as a piston-powered model plane.... If I have to go electric with an electric motor and ESC... Then I'll forget about building it and buy a drone. And I will skip the AMA, because their fixed-wings will be no different than any other photography platform with FPV that everybody else has flying in their back yards.
I agree somewhat. Running the engine is part of the fun. I even enjoy running them on the bench every now and then.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
There are really not many designed for glo only anymore. Almost every new release including the Kaos .60 is designed for both electric or glo and they also provide the needed accessories for both.

Mike
That is my point, if there were not people buying them for glow then you won't see them built for both. Or at least make you buy the accessories. I don't expect new versions to be glow only. That would be stupid for the manufactures.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:11 AM
rcmiket

That is my point, if there were not people buying them for glow then you won't see them built for both. Or at least make you buy the accessories. I don't expect new versions to be glow only. That would be stupid for the manufactures.
I wasn't sure just what your point was. Being involved with a local retailer I can honestly say electric outsells nitro stuff 10 to 1 now days. At least where I am.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 01-25-2016 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

For one most glow people are not buying from a local retailer. For another I never said it was a booming business, just that it will never die out.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:27 AM
rcmiket

For one most glow people are not buying from a local retailer. For another I never said it was a booming business, just that it will never die out.
So they mail order their nitro fuel also?

Mike
Old 01-25-2016, 05:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
So they mail order their nitro fuel also?

Mike
No. Why would I pay $25 bucks a gallon when I can mix myself for less than $10 bucks. Not sure how many do that but the low volume has increased pre mixed fuel so much more than the components, it is ridiculous.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 AM
rcmiket

No. Why would I pay $25 bucks a gallon when I can mix myself for less than $10 bucks. Not sure how many do that but the low volume has increased pre mixed fuel so much more than the components, it is ridiculous.
Why, because it's a pain in the ass. I would even venture a guess that 99% of nitro guys out there wouldn't even know how or where to get what's needed. I'll just by Morgan fuel when I need it. I won't build my own radio either.

Mike
Old 01-25-2016, 05:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

I have never had an issue with fining supplies for fuel, and there is noting to mixing it. Again not sure how many and I suspect it is still a minority, but many find it cheaper online, or buy bulk as well.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

72MHz hasn't died out either. It's just that few if any are still manufacturing it and no one is actually developing new products for it. So if it makes you happy, keep believing it will never die it.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
72MHz hasn't died out either. It's just that few if any are still manufacturing it and no one is actually developing new products for it. So if it makes you happy, keep believing it will never die it.
I know it will never die out because it is so much fun. They still make model steam engines!
Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

I still have most of my Glo Planes the ARF made for Glo ARE made much more robust (stronger better construction) Letric must be designed so flimsy that they fall apart if even landed a little hard. Then I see all this Foam stuff. Looks nice some even fly well. great planes if U like to fly flimsy stuff that falls apart easily. OH if U just want to fly for 3 to 6 minutes. Then if U over drain the battery a time of two it puffs up and your $89 battery is junk. Don't get me wrong Got a bunch of friends that have realy nice "Lectric" GS panes, Cubs and such. Cost a lot too. For real performance in GS it's GAS 20 cc to 55 cc. Cheep Fuel No clean up to speak of and U know U are flying something not a 2 lb piece of foam that can't be flown in a wind. Even Glo because of it's weight penetrates the wind and Lands much better because of it Inertia; Every thing has it's Place. Frankly I have everything from Lectric War Birds (FOAM) to GLO War birds to *)cc Aerobatic Yak 54 at 22 lbs. 100" Eindecker. A little bit of everything. As far as Glo goes too many Lazy People getting into the Hobby that have No Idea how to even fix their "Lectric" stuff when they break it. Just saying there are trade off's in every thing again that's what make this hobby so great. OOPs past * am gotta go get my Pace Maker checked to da at 10:30 and I have to SSS yet.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:58 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I love the smell of nitro in the morning.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

The smell of burning nitro beats the smell of burning lithium any day!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:15 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

The smell of burning nitro beats the smell of burning lithium any day!
Sure does ... But ! , , there just HAS to be a percentage of castor in the mix if the smell is to be "right" ....

Hmm , Ok , Castor VS synthetic , Oh ! , could this be the new Ford VS Chevy ????
Old 01-25-2016, 12:17 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Sure does ... But ! , , there just HAS to be a percentage of castor in the mix if the smell is to be "right" ....

Hmm , Ok , Castor VS synthetic , Oh ! , could this be the new Ford VS Chevy ????
Uh OH...another Poll question!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:34 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Poll ! Poll ! Poll !

I'd have to vote "all of the above" cause I bought fuel with a specifically low synthetic content that I add a small amount of "Benoil" pure castor to . Between the castor percentage in my fuel and a proper after run flushing before putting a plane away after a day at the field , I haven't yet rusted a set of bearings in any engine I've bought brand new . And come to think of it , just about any used engine I've bought has always had at least a bit of rust on it's bearings . I guess my rituals work .
Old 01-25-2016, 04:22 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trigonometry .... use distance meter and vertical angle to determine altitude... Sine Angle * Len Hyp = vertical height.

A survey total station could do this rather easily depending on the materials covering the plane and reflectance. Accident reconstruction teams already use this kind of equipment. It could be measured from a distance so you might not even know they were there. They would be trying pretty hard to make this work.

They could intercept the telemetry and read the values being sent to you. This would be pretty damning to you because you would know the altitudes and they would have the same information as you.

I think that the only time this is really going to come into play is when an aircraft is hit several thousand feet in the air.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:26 PM
timeto

I'd take JR over Fubata anyday.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:05 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by on_your_six
Trigonometry .... use distance meter and vertical angle to determine altitude... Sine Angle * Len Hyp = vertical height.

A survey total station could do this rather easily depending on the materials covering the plane and reflectance. Accident reconstruction teams already use this kind of equipment. It could be measured from a distance so you might not even know they were there. They would be trying pretty hard to make this work.

They could intercept the telemetry and read the values being sent to you. This would be pretty damning to you because you would know the altitudes and they would have the same information as you.

I think that the only time this is really going to come into play is when an aircraft is hit several thousand feet in the air.
Hey what's this "on topic" nonsense?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:04 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Originally Posted by timeto
I'd take JR over Fubata anyday.
Above or below four hundred feet (on topic)?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by on_your_six

Big brother is watching.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.