Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Four Hundred Feet?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Four Hundred Feet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 08:45 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where'd everybody go 9 emails from RCU .. a week ago it was 90 to 120 per day. What's on the agenda hope we don't ave drag up Spectrums or what ever again. Even the Glo vs Lectric is sorta quite. To windy here to fly this morning so might fix my cub whend I get ROUND to it. All U folks have a nice day.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 AM
oliveDrab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.
I love the smell of CRISPY BACON in the morning. And I prefer CRISPY BACON on a blt below and above 400 feet.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:53 AM
HoundDog

[h=1]This Heroic Drone Flies Underwater[/h]
Ya figger the FAA gona bother e'm FISH AA that is

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/heroic-drone-flies-underwater-150109648.html
Old 01-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

?gniylf naht rehtar gnimmiws eb taht t'ndluoW
Old 01-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

A wind farm is relatively close to me. From what I understand, when a blade on a turbine is at at 12 o'clock it is ~450' high. It all depends on what size wind turbines are in front of you though. ...and 450' isn't very darn high! ...at least IMO!

In the past I know I have had my planes WELL above that level...with NO problems! ...I guess it kinda depends where you are...I fly in a cotton field now...wide open spaces...literally.

It all boils down to NOT interferring with full-scale aircraft...leave them alone and you're good.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:28 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
?gniylf naht rehtar gnimmiws eb taht t'ndluoW
I think we should switch to white fonts.

See below picture of a polar bear in a snow storm.

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-26-2016 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 01-26-2016, 04:38 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
I think we should switch to white fonts.

See below picture of a polar bear in a snow storm.

I wanted to at least give him a chance. Love the picture!
Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Silent-AV8R

Here's a nifty FAA document. Written by their "Plain Language" manager.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...les/mandatory/
Old 05-22-2016, 01:47 AM
ProjectZed

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Here's a nifty FAA document. Written by their "Plain Language" manager.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...les/mandatory/

Thank you for this and Here's what law and policy is all about
Old 05-22-2016, 03:01 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

So I was doing some LOS testing of my FPV Penguin fixed wing the other day. I was checking trims, loiter, rth, video, etc. When I watched my flight cam video I was surprised to see my altitude was between 450-550 feet!!!! I would have guessed I was at 300 feet. 400 feet is a lot lower than some may think. I was just doing LOS testing at an altitude that looked visually normal and safe.
Old 05-22-2016, 09:20 AM
RC GOLF
My Feedback: (3)

That is a fact. so where do I buy or order the necessary ingrediants....Methanol, Oil, Nitro.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:14 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Lifer
Thanks for the reply, but my question is how someone else can determine that I have flown higher than 400 feet.
Two observers with simple protractor type angle finders can determine altitude of an object as long as they know how far apart they are.
https://spaceflightsystems.grc.nasa..../rkthowhi.html
Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by radfordc
Two observers with simple protractor type angle finders can determine altitude of an object as long as they know how far apart they are.
and it's fun too.

Mike
Old 05-22-2016, 02:05 PM
HoundDog

a simple range finder and a bubble level can tell you your height AGL
Slant range distance to the plane is the Hypotenuses and the angle on Level Protractor is the angle opposite i.e. the model height. Simply use your smart phone and ask what is sine (Degree from level protractor) times what the range finder says gives U the altitude of the model plain. i.e.

Just ask your smart phone this 235 yards times sin 60 degrees equals how many feet"? answer for this particular set of range and angle is 610.55' 210.55' too high. try it keep changing the two variables and see what U get. Change the 235 and 60 and ask the question exactly as in RED. enloy.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:25 PM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

How about using telemetry? All of the major brands offer a fairly inexpensive GPS module, which provides your altitude and airspeed in real time.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:46 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by Bolshoi
How about using telemetry? All of the major brands offer a fairly inexpensive GPS module, which provides your altitude and airspeed in real time.
As my algebra teacher used to say, "first...read the problem". The question was how would someone else (not the pilot) know how high your plane is. The implication was that someone (the FAA, LEO, etc) would be checking to see that the model flyers were following the "recommendations".
Old 05-23-2016, 04:23 AM
mike1974

Hopefully the FAA/LEO have more important things to do than go to AMA fields/local parks and solve math problems involving toy aircraft. lol. If not, then maybe the FAA/LEO needs a downsizing.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:42 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

As my algebra teacher used to say, "first...read the problem". The question was how would someone else (not the pilot) know how high your plane is. The implication was that someone (the FAA, LEO, etc) would be checking to see that the model flyers were following the "recommendations".
Originally Posted by mike1974
Hopefully the FAA/LEO have more important things to do than go to AMA fields/local parks and solve math problems involving toy aircraft. lol. If not, then maybe the FAA/LEO needs a downsizing.
My take on this , one man's opinion only , take it for what it's worth .....

There will be no law enforcement patrols hiding in the woods setting up "altitude traps" , like the speed traps for cars , just waiting to pounce the moment you hit 401 feet .

What WILL happen will be that when local law enforcement gets a call from the local FAA office that there are repeated incursions into FAA assigned full scale airspace in a given area , the Officers will THEN set up an operation and believe me , they'll have the latest & greatest hand held devices that will read out altitude and be used in court just like their radar guns are for speeders .
Old 05-23-2016, 04:47 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by init4fun

There will be no law enforcement patrols hiding in the woods setting up "altitude traps" , like the speed traps for cars , just waiting to pounce the moment you hit 401 feet .

What WILL happen will be that when local law enforcement gets a call from the local FAA office that there are repeated incursions into FAA assigned full scale airspace in a given area , the Officers will THEN set up an operation and believe me , they'll have the latest & greatest hand held devices that will read out altitude and be used in court just like their radar guns are for speeders .
Can't say I disagree.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Even if they were to set up a trap. You would get off because there is no law against flying over 400 feet. Or are we talking about near an airport?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:01 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

n
Oh yes there will be. They will be the club "safety" police. Especially if you fly something that they don't like
Old 05-23-2016, 10:11 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Oh yes there will be. They will be the club "safety" police. Especially if you fly something that they don't like
More doom/gloom, bad things going to happen etc etc. If you don't do anything wrong, you won't get caught. Clubs will always have folks who want to complain about something, nothing will change there.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:28 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Even if they were to set up a trap. You would get off because there is no law against flying over 400 feet. Or are we talking about near an airport?
Hi Sport , Since the talk was of 400 feet , and the 400 foot thing only applies near airports , I have to conclude that yes , the discussion involved being near an airport . But make no mistake , even if you aren't near an airport and get in a full scale's way , 400 feet won't matter cause that's not what you'll be charged with , you'll be charged with endangering an aircraft while in flight , which since 9/11 has become a pretty big deal .

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Matt my Friend , it sounds like you need to find a different club , pronto !
Old 05-23-2016, 01:18 PM
HoundDog

Remember ...Just fly Like U always did, keep out of the way, and all will be OK.

In the Milwaukee/Waukesha area There two R/C Fields just with in the 5 mile radius of Waukesha County airport - Pebble creek Flyers 4.82 to the SW @ 286 degrees. Not in any final approach path. PCB R/C field is 806 AGL High Terran all around. Guess what, until we went to tell them we were within their 5 mile ATA they didn't even know that we existed nor were they aware that we were flying Toy model airplanes with in 5 miles of UES Waukesha County Airport. for well over 35 years.
Same thing with the Flying Electrons. Timmerman Tower had no idea that we even existed at 286 degrees at 4.82 SM. Now every day the first person must call the respective towers and report that there will be R/C Flying till dark. What a Crock this whole thing is becoming.

Like I stated in the first line: "
Just fly Like U always did, keep out of the way, and all will be OK".

If they didn't know we even existed
"
What difference at this point does it make"?
Old 05-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Hi Sport , Since the talk was of 400 feet , and the 400 foot thing only applies near airports , I have to conclude that yes , the discussion involved being near an airport . But make no mistake , even if you aren't near an airport and get in a full scale's way , 400 feet won't matter cause that's not what you'll be charged with , you'll be charged with endangering an aircraft while in flight , which since 9/11 has become a pretty big deal .

Matt my Friend , it sounds like you need to find a different club , pronto !

I double checked the OP's post in this thread and don't see where he mentioned proximity to an airport.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.