Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Letter To Your Senators

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Letter To Your Senators

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 04:16 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Letter To Your Senators

A few AMA members at this forum are putting together a "form letter" that AMA members can use to alert their Senators with about our situation.
I would encourage those who submit this letter to add their own personal touches to it, delete anything you disagree to, etc.
This letter is not intended to include the beliefs of ALL AMA MEMBERS, but to give "like minded" AMA members a way to communicate THEIR beliefs to our Senators in a persuasive and easily understood sort of way.

Here goes....

The Honorable Thomas R. CarperUnited States Senator
2215 Federal Building300 S. New StreetDover, DE 19904

Dear Senator Carper:

I am a model aviation enthusiast and member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics ("AMA"), recognized as our national community-based organization.

I am very distraught with the recent announcement by the Federal Aviation Administration that as of December 21, 2015,AMA flyers will have to register with the FAA.

This new requirement is in complete defiance and contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which was passed by Congress and the Senate.

The FAA has defiantly misinterpreted this act and imposed new requirements such as registration, plus they have recently closed 36 model airfields around Washington DC.

This action by the FAA does not make the skies any safer, nor does it follow the guidelines of prudent application of new laws required by Congress in the 2012 law.

The new registration requirement and AMA chartered field closures have come as a result of the reckless and irresponsible flying of "DRONE" models that are capable of being flown beyond the line of sight {BLOS].

As Traditional Radio Control aircraft flyers, flying beyond the safe boundaries of our club fields and beyond our unassisted vision is something that we simply do not do or condone while operating at our AMA chartered fields.

AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code.

AMA clubs utilize training programs for new pilots to help ensure safety

AMA members are provided with substantial insurance coverage as well as the landowners of the club field.

As traditional Radio Control Flyers we strongly object to being labeled "Drone Flyers" or members of "Drone Clubs" by the FAA. This practice of vilifying MY sport with this derogatory language needs to cease and desist immediately.

The new FAA requirement for AMA members to register with them is pure wasteful redundancy .
AMA members are already registered with the AMA, complete with all contact information. If there ever WAS a calamity that was caused by an AMA member, the AMA would gladly surrender that information to the authorities.

By "promulgating" new restrictions and requirements for AMA members, the FAA is acting in complete disregard for the law and overriding the existing Congressional protections.

On behalf of all AMA members I hope that you will look into the legality and the fairness of the FAA's recent actions.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, combatpigg.

Please feel free to contribute your constructive input, your edited versions, etc.
I don't think we need to come up with one single version of this letter that satisfies everyone, but hopefully we can put together something that you can save to your note pads that will give you a head start on drafting your own letters instead of starting out with a blank screen.

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-01-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:32 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, should be sending a letter like this to ones congressional representative as well. Correspondence such as this means more than commenting on the faa page or signing a petition.....in my opinion,
Old 01-01-2016, 04:40 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by combatpigg
A few AMA members at this forum are putting together a "form letter" that AMA members can use to alert their Senators with about our situation.
I would encourage those who submit this letter to add their own personal touches to it, delete anything you disagree to, etc.
This letter is not intended to include the beliefs of ALL AMA MEMBERS, but to give "like minded" AMA members a way to communicate THEIR beliefs to our Senators in a persuasive and easily understood sort of way.

Here goes....

The Honorable Thomas R. CarperUnited States Senator
2215 Federal Building300 S. New StreetDover, DE 19904

Dear Senator Carper:

I am a model aviation enthusiast and member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics ("AMA"), recognized as our national community-based organization.

I am very distraught with the recent announcement by the Federal Aviation Administration that as of December 21, 2015,AMA flyers will have to register with the FAA.

This new requirement is in complete defiance appears to be a contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which was passed by Congress and the Senate.
By "promulgating" new restrictions and requirements for AMA members, the FAA appears to be overriding the existing Congressional directives.

The FAA has defiantly misinterpreted this act and imposed new requirements such as registration, plus they have recently closed 36 model airfields around Washington DC.

This action by the FAA does not make the skies any safer, nor does it follow the guidelines of prudent application of new laws required by Congress in the 2012 law.

The new registration requirement and AMA chartered field closures are imposing hardships on our membership despite 80 years of impeccable adherence to our rules and regulations. AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code, and we utilize training programs to ensure our members fly safely within the National Airspace.
come as a result of the reckless and irresponsible flying of "DRONE" models that are capable of being flown beyond the line of sight {BLOS].

As Traditional Radio Control aircraft flyers, flying beyond the safe boundaries of our club fields and beyond our unassisted vision is something that we simply do not do or condone while operating at our AMA chartered fields.

AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code.

AMA clubs utilize training programs for new pilots to help ensure safety

AMA members are provided with substantial insurance coverage as well as the landowners of the club field. (i only strike this as it's irrelevant to the FAA)

As traditional Radio Control Flyers we strongly object to being labeled "Drone Flyers" or members of "Drone Clubs" by the FAA. This practice of vilifying MY sport with this derogatory language needs to cease and desist immediately. (it's not a good thing to tell a federal agency what they need to do, right after telling them they "vilify" us. Keep in mind our elected officials have relationships with all of the agencies)

The new FAA requirement for AMA members to register with them is pure wasteful redundancy .
AMA members are already registered with the AMA, complete with all contact information. If there ever WAS a calamity that was caused by an AMA member, the AMA would gladly surrender that information to the authorities.

On behalf of all AMA members I hope that you will look into the legality and the fairness of the FAA's recent actions.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, combatpigg.

Please feel free to contribute your constructive input, your edited versions, etc.
I don't think we need to come up with one single version of this letter that satisfies everyone, but hopefully we can put together something that you can save to your note pads that will give you a head start on drafting your own letters instead of starting out with a blank screen.

Probably the best proposed communication yet, via letter or petition etc. I would delete the comments above in blue, adding in the red. Leave what could be construed as personal invictives out, keep it more factual. Don't "blame" other parties, and don't theorize on why this rule came into play, the FAA says it's for safety, don't challenge them and tell them it's because of "drones". Some of the language appears redundant, it can be pared down some and still send the same message. The passion of the position can still come through. Sorry for the color explosion, but I wanted to keep what was there there, and have you note the suggested changes, easier to do that this way. Also as a suggestion, find out which of your elected state officials (state and federal) sit on what committees, and which of those committees have skin in the game here. You would be surprised how many local state officials have their fingers in the federal pie. My two cents.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Yes, should be sending a letter like this to ones congressional representative as well. Correspondence such as this means more than commenting on the faa page or signing a petition.....in my opinion,
+1..was doing my note when you left that. The more pressure you bring to the table, the better, but it helps to get the right players involved.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:49 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Yes indeed....all AMA clubs should receive this letter
There are also AMA Special Interest Groups that come to mind....[off the top of my head]

MACA Miniature Aircraft Combat Assn.

NASS North American Speed Society

RCCA Radio Control Combat Association

NPRA National Pylon Racers Assn.

IMAAC [the "Pattern Guy's" Club]

SAM Society of Antique Model[er]s......[just kidding guys]

....and there are many others, so please get this letter out to as many of the individual clubs, associations and societies as possible.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Yes indeed....all AMA clubs should receive this letter
There are also AMA Special Interest Groups that come to mind....[off the top of my head]

SAM Society of Antique Model[er]s......[just kidding guys]

....and there are many others, so please get this letter out to as many of the individual clubs, associations and societies as possible.
A shortened and slightly wordsmithed version, absent the color.

Dear Senator Carper:

I am a model aviation enthusiast and member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics ("AMA"), recognized as a national community-based organization.

This new requirement appears to be a contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which was passed by Congress and the Senate. By promulgating new restrictions and requirements for AMA members, the FAA appears to be overriding the existing Congressional directives. The new registration requirement, combined with the recent closure of 36 AMA chartered field closures, are imposing hardships on our membership. We have established an 80 year record of impeccable safety, and in fact have set the standard for safe operation of our model aircraft in our national air space. AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code, and we utilize training programs to ensure our members fly safely and responsibly. I would welcome you or any member of your staff to visit our local flying site to witness firsthand how we are stewards of our land, and airspace. In the alternative, I’d be happy to discuss these issues with you or your staff if you have any further questions or concerns.

Old 01-01-2016, 05:02 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by porcia83
Probably the best proposed communication yet, via letter or petition etc. I would delete the comments above in blue, adding in the red. Leave what could be construed as personal invictives out, keep it more factual. Don't "blame" other parties, and don't theorize on why this rule came into play, the FAA says it's for safety, don't challenge them and tell them it's because of "drones". Some of the language appears redundant, it can be pared down some and still send the same message. The passion of the position can still come through. Sorry for the color explosion, but I wanted to keep what was there there, and have you note the suggested changes, easier to do that this way. Also as a suggestion, find out which of your elected state officials (state and federal) sit on what committees, and which of those committees have skin in the game here. You would be surprised how many local state officials have their fingers in the federal pie. My two cents.
Thanks for your very constructive input.
I think it is very important that we take control of "the language" though. We do not belong to "Drone Clubs" and I feel that the FAA is using this language as a way to strengthen their position against us.
If we don't accomplish anything else, I want to see to it that the FAA can no longer refer to us as Drone Flyers, Drone Clubs, etc.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks for your very constructive input.
I think it is very important that we take control of "the language" though. We do not belong to "Drone Clubs" and I feel that the FAA is using this language as a way to strengthen their position against us.
If we don't accomplish anything else, I want to see to it that the FAA can no longer refer to us as Drone Flyers, Drone Clubs, etc.
I hear you, I don't want to be lumped in with a group of people that have dissimilar interests than I do, but I think the ship has sailed with regards to classifications/groups. For me I would rather focus on the best angle of attack, the FAA doing something different than what the Congress told them to do. Get a foot in the door on that issue, either do away with reg for us, or use our AMA #, then get the DC area clubs back open, get some concessions on the 400 foot issue, and then work on reclassifying "drone" versus model aviation.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:25 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for putting together that letter Porcia.
I think a lot of us could copy it and put it to use ASAP just the way it sits.
Good stuff...!

I agree that the "Drone Label" issue is secondary to what we want to accomplish right now.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:40 PM
jeffrey solomon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really think this is a letter that most AMA members would feel comfortable using.
Particularly like the "stewards" reference.
Great job

Now the question is ....

How do we disseminate this letter quickly to our members?

Forget about the AMA?

The AMA should be supportive of this letter and pass it along to our members, or is

that wishful thinking?

The letter would garner greater support and use by our members, if it came directly from the AMA , don't you think?

If the AMA, is not going to help pass the letter along what are our alternatives the groups below?

Any other ways to distribute?

Do AMA club presidents have access and permission to broadcast to the entire AMA membership? Or are they limited to their clubs personal lists of other clubs members?
Old 01-01-2016, 06:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

Whatever is done, I would hold off on sending anything to anyone in the DC area right now, imo, it is not the time for anyone other than the AMA govt team to be dealing with that. For better or worse, regardless of the good intent, I think folks owe it to them to let them do their job.

Club presidents do not have access to entire AMA membership lists, for many good reasons. They can send out notices and announcements via information available through the AMA website, For me, it's better than clubs deal with this internally and give a letter as a general ideal, but ask that members personalize it. Staffers will see a sudden influx of the same letter and it might not serve the intended purpose. If anything, a call to their office is just as meaningful...yes you'll get a staffer. but at least your voice will be heard...literally and figuratively.

The AMA is not going to supportive of this particular letter or anyone that a member will draft up. They have already sent out a request to make your voices heard, and gave some suggestions on how to craft the message. Here is that message from 12-28.

The AMA has recommended that our members hold off on registering their model aircraft with the FAA until advised by the AMA or until the FAA's legal deadline of February 19. Holding off on registration will allow time for AMA to fully consider all possible legal and political options for alleviating this unnecessary regulatory burden on our members.
In the meantime, you can help by making your voice heard with the FAA. Specifically we are asking all AMA members to submit comments on the FAA's interim rule on registration. The deadline to submit comments is January 15, 2016. All comments can be submitted at http://1.usa.gov/1Jegj0C.
Below are recommended messages to convey in your comments:
  • Express your disappointment with the registration rule. As a member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA), I am disappointed with the new rule for UAS registration. I am a long time model aircraft flyer, who has operated under the guidance of the largest community-based organization (CBO) in the world for many years.
  • Highlight AMA's history and safety record. Since 1936, AMA has published safety standards and offered training programs for our members - more than 20 years before the FAA was created. Our National Model Aircraft Safety Code has been recognized by Congress as well as by state legislatures as a safe and effective means of managing model aircraft enthusiasts like me
  • Note that you already register with AMA. Additionally, AMA's safety program already instructs me to place my AMA number or name and address on or within my model aircraft(s), effectively accomplishing the safety and accountability objectives of the interim rule.
  • Make it clear this rule is contrary to the intent of Congress. The new rule is contrary to the intent of Congress in Section 336 of the 2012 FAA Modernization and Reform Act. Section 336, also referred to as the "Special Rule for Model Aircraft," clearly prohibits the FAA from promulgating any new rules for recreational users operating within the safety guidelines of a CBO. In addition, the FAA's contention that model aircraft should be considered aircraft is currently the subject of pending litigation.
  • Affirm that as an AMA member you should be exempt from federal registration. The registration process is an unnecessary burden for me and the more than 185,000 other AMA members. AMA members should not be required to register with the FAA.

Thank you,

AMA Government and Regulatory Affairs Team
Old 01-01-2016, 06:52 PM
r_adical
My Feedback: (19)

Originally Posted by jeffrey solomon
I really think this is a letter that most AMA members would feel comfortable using.
Particularly like the "stewards" reference.
Great job

Now the question is ....

How do we disseminate this letter quickly to our members?

Forget about the AMA?

The AMA should be supportive of this letter and pass it along to our members, or is

that wishful thinking?

The letter would garner greater support and use by our members, if it came directly from the AMA , don't you think?

If the AMA, is not going to help pass the letter along what are our alternatives the groups below?

Any other ways to distribute?

Do AMA club presidents have access and permission to broadcast to the entire AMA membership? Or are they limited to their clubs personal lists of other clubs members?

To be clear they did not shut down 36 clubs recently, only 14 were affected last week the 36 number was retracted in Jay Marsh's second email.

If you need all the relevant correspondence I can PM it to you
Old 01-01-2016, 06:54 PM
r_adical

Originally Posted by r_adical
To be clear they did not shut down 36 clubs recently, only 14 were affected last week the 36 number was retracted in Jay Marsh's second email.

If you need all the relevant correspondence I can PM it to you

Also as I pointed out earlier its not the FAA shutting the airspace, I can provide the reference for that also
Old 01-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sent it to my Illinois senators today
Old 01-01-2016, 07:09 PM
jeffrey solomon

Thanks for the information about club president, I am in the process of communicating with mine right now.

The AMA hasn't provided a template for members to use
for any communications whether it is for congressman or FAA
merely suggested points to include if they chose to write a letter on their own.
Letter writing is a real obstacle to many people
The above suggestion are not easily used by most people and they
would have to be greatly modified to address a congressman properly.

Why hold off on sending a letter to a congressman now?
"it is not the time for anyone other than the AMA govt team to be dealing with that. For better or worse, regardless of the good intent, I think folks owe it to them to let them do their job. "

It's the worse that concerns me.
Does that sentiment, and that is all it is a sentiment, extend to our congressional representative too?
Where do we "owe it to them"? That may seem reasonable to some but not to me.
How would a letter to our congressman now, prevent of interfere with them doing their job?
You need to explain with more than just "IMO".

Last edited by jeffrey solomon; 01-01-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:15 PM
r_adical

Originally Posted by jeffrey solomon
Thanks for the information about club president, I am in the process of communicating with mine right now.

The AMA hasn't provided a template for members to use
for any communications whether it is for congressman or FAA
merely suggested points to include if they chose to write a letter on their own.
Letter writing is a real obstacle to many people
The above suggestion are not easily used by most people and they
would have to be greatly modified to address a congressman properly.

Why hold off on sending a letter to a congressman now?
"it is not the time for anyone other than the AMA govt team to be dealing with that. For better or worse, regardless of the good intent, I think folks owe it to them to let them do their job. "

It's the worse that concerns me.
Does that sentiment, and that is all it is a sentiment, extend to our congressional representative too?
Where do we "owe it to them"? That may seem reasonable to some but not to me.
How would a letter to our congressman now, prevent of interfere with them doing their job?
You need to explain with more than just "IMO".
I see no problem letting the District 4 Govt Relations committee handle their issues. However I have no problem defending the rest of us in the hinterlands so let's get this out to folks any way we can.

We do need to be factually correct though. Otherwise I fear we will be ignored.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:41 PM
combatpigg

I failed to mention that Jeffrey Solomon sent me his first rough draft of this letter.
I already had another very similar "form letter" on hand that was submitted to this forum earlier [but his forum name escapes me right now...darn it, was it Warning Shot..?]
I just consolidated the two letters into what I wanted the message to convey.

I'll try my hand at drawing up MY final draft and submit it here just to give this forum another version of this letter to expand their options to pick and choose from
My two Senators [ Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray] urge us Washingtonians to use their services whenever issues like this arise.
[Hopefully neither of them have neighbors who do 2 cycle, tuned pipe RPM tests at midnight].

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-01-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:49 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A shortened and slightly wordsmithed version, absent the color.

Dear Senator Carper:

I am a model aviation enthusiast and member of the Academy of Model Aeronautics ("AMA"), recognized as a national community-based organization.

This new requirement appears to be a contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which was passed by Congress and the Senate. By promulgating new restrictions and requirements for AMA members, the FAA appears to be overriding the existing Congressional directives. The new registration requirement, combined with the recent closure of 36 AMA chartered field closures, are imposing hardships on our membership. We have established an 80 year record of impeccable safety, and in fact have set the standard for safe operation of our model aircraft in our national air space. AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code, and we utilize training programs to ensure our members fly safely and responsibly. I would welcome you or any member of your staff to visit our local flying site to witness firsthand how we are stewards of our land, and airspace. In the alternative, I’d be happy to discuss these issues with you or your staff if you have any further questions or concerns.

I would change this to "The AMA requires...." as the use of demand is ambiguous. Demand : an insistent and peremptory request, made as if by right. A demand is just a request whereas a requirement is mandatory.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:03 PM
jeffrey solomon

Really, did not want any credit at all for the letter.
In fact, I would have rather you didn't mention my name.
My concern is that any members who may have developed a
disdain or dislike for me, would allow that feeling to cloud their judgement and prevent them
from using the letter.
When otherwise they would have.
Besides being in the witness protection program I don't need the heat.

I figured you Combatpig were busy at the task and I would engage others while you worked.

It still appears that our newly converted Porcia83 who produce a quality letter, wants to remain gatekeeper and control the time to distribute the letter.

Very predictable. I have a friend who told me basically the same not yet let the negotiators do their job, but could offer no salient reasons. and I trust my friends motives.

I challenged Porcia83 , to explain why wait? what do we owe to the negotiators ?

I have yet to receive a response.

Some people need to be in control

Not me
Old 01-01-2016, 08:08 PM
r_adical

I know I came to this late but want to help

What can I do>?
Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 PM
combatpigg

Jeffrey, you should be proud of your work.

Porcia made his case for why we should hold off and people can draw their own conclusions.

I don't think sending a letter right now risks anything negative.
If I don't get what looks like a personal reply from either senator's staff, then I'll re-submit the letter again until it is acknowledged.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:32 PM
combatpigg

OK, here is what looks good to me [at least for now].

Dear Senator Carper:

I am very distraught with the recent announcement by the Federal Aviation Administration that as of December 21, 2015, AMA flyers will have to register with the FAA.

This new requirement appears to be a contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which was passed by Congress and the Senate. By promulgating new restrictions and requirements for AMA members, the FAA appears to be overriding the existing Congressional directives.
The new registration and identification requirement is a complete redundancy of our registration with the AMA. Combine this with the recent closure of 14 AMA chartered fields and it appears that the FAA is imposing needless hardships on our membership.
We have established an 80 year record of impeccable safety, and in fact have set the standard for safe operation of our model aircraft in our national air space. AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code, and we utilize training programs to ensure our members fly safely and responsibly.
I would welcome you or any member of your staff to visit our local flying site to witness first hand how we are good stewards of our land and airspace.
I’d be happy to discuss these issues with you or your staff if you have any further questions or concerns.
On behalf of all AMA members I hope that you will look into the legality and the fairness of their actions.
Thank you very much for your attention to this matter,

Johnny Skydriller
AMA # 999999

Last edited by combatpigg; 01-01-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:36 PM
r_adical

OK, here is what looks good to me [at least for now].

Dear Senator Carper:

This new requirement appears to be a contradiction of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 which was passed by Congress and the Senate. By promulgating new restrictions and requirements for AMA members, the FAA appears to be overriding the existing Congressional directives.
The new registration and identification requirement is a complete redundancy of our registration with the AMA. Combine this with the recent closure of 36 AMA chartered fields and it appears that the FAA is imposing needless hardships on our membership.
We have established an 80 year record of impeccable safety, and in fact have set the standard for safe operation of our model aircraft in our national air space. AMA requirements demand that all pilots follow the AMA safety code, and we utilize training programs to ensure our members fly safely and responsibly.
I would welcome you or any member of your staff to visit our local flying site to witness first hand how we are good stewards of our land and airspace.
I’d be happy to discuss these issues with you or your staff if you have any further questions or concerns.
On behalf of all AMA members I hope that you will look into the legality and the fairness of their actions.
Thankyou very much for your attention to this matter,

Johnny Skydriller
AMA # 999999

I would suggest changing the 36 to 14
Old 01-01-2016, 08:37 PM
franklin_m

Whatever is done, I would hold off on sending anything to anyone in the DC area right now, imo, it is not the time for anyone other than the AMA govt team to be dealing with that.
What are we...the "unwashed masses?"

Why would AMA or surrogates discourage anyone from exercising their right as a citizen to contact their elected representatives?
Old 01-01-2016, 08:38 PM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by r_adical
I would suggest changing the 36 to 14
Thanks..!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.