Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

New Technology - Self Flying Drone coupled to Phone and following you taking pictures

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New Technology - Self Flying Drone coupled to Phone and following you taking pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:41 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Technology - Self Flying Drone coupled to Phone and following you taking pictures

Did not catch it all, but caught enough of it that it just caused me to wonder how this will be managed / policed.

On one of the National TV morning shows, they were showing some new technology that will be coming out for consumers.

One of the new items was a drone that is able to fly itself, with no inputs from a ground pilot. It will also be coupled to the owners IPhone. The reasoning behind this technology will be so that you will for example be able to go out and participate in sports, such as hiking or kayaking, etc. The self flying drone will follow you and be taking pictures of you participating in what ever sport you like, such as kayaking. Of course, this technology can and will be used for other activities. Finally, get this one as all you will have to do is toss the drone into the air and it will fly itself and follow you.

Now, I am just sitting here wondering how any agency is going to be able to keep these new toys policed ?

I think we are now looking at a much larger problem than the present one that we have with the AMA and FAA.

If the AMA does not separate themselves from the DRONE issue, I think that they are in for so many problems, that eventually the AMA will be no more.

Don't shoot me down fellows, please. I am just bringing to your attention some public information and stating some " personal " thoughts.

Hope everybody has a Happy New Year. Except the idiots with the DRONES !!! LOL
Old 01-02-2016, 09:52 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Imagine all of the beaches, river banks, wooded areas, snow packed slopes, national parks, etc. where jagged drone trash and battery packs will be scattered across the USA by their "Human Trash" owners.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by combatpigg
Imagine all of the beaches, river banks, wooded areas, snow packed slopes, national parks, etc. where jagged drone trash and battery packs will be scattered across the USA by their "Human Trash" owners.
hay Pig your are right on with the trash and trash owners, but I doubt that any responsible owner will leave a crashed drone
Old 01-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by combatpigg
You are so correct ! Sure as hell going to take more than a government agency to regulate that picture !
Old 01-02-2016, 10:32 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think someone is offering a filmed ski package like this now. They film you skiing by drone and probably the ground,and then edit it for sale to you. I have run into people that take pics and sell them at big ski resorts in my youth.. I always thought that was an interesting business setup.

My brother in law and I always managed to get good pictures of each other.. before the following crash ! hahahah Actually we landed a good percenatge of those jumps,, seriously
Old 01-02-2016, 02:34 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by foodstick
I think someone is offering a filmed ski package like this now. They film you skiing by drone and probably the ground,and then edit it for sale to you. I have run into people that take pics and sell them at big ski resorts in my youth.. I always thought that was an interesting business setup.

My brother in law and I always managed to get good pictures of each other.. before the following crash ! hahahah Actually we landed a good percenatge of those jumps,, seriously
With the new technology, their is no second party recording your activity. YOU have your own drone, which is coupled to your IPhone and self flies behind you making the recordings.

Don't ask me how they are doing it, but evidently somebody has the technology for a drone to fly without any pilot / operator.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:05 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, the guys I mentioned were basically renting the skiers the service of the drone. The photographers would attach a device on the skier so that the drone would circle and film the person with the transponder? Anyhow I think its the same type of unit you are mentioning.

I suppose the drone owner/photographers ski with the client to keep an eye on their property.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:33 PM
rt3232

Well back in the day when I was 20 to 30 and skied the hi sierra's it was not uncommon to see the county mountie's on the slopes, but with the new budgets and from one of our club members they have a hard time trying to do traffic do to all of the domestic and outher B'S going on.
But maybe they can get a handle on these guys and make an example of them if they don't have the proper licenses.

Maybe 5 or 6 max penalties would get some attention
Old 01-02-2016, 07:59 PM
smeckert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Royal Oak Michigan did a preemptive strike last summer. They banned all RC within the city limits. Problem solved!
Edit.Not sure it went into law. Council decided to wait to see what the FAA would do first.

Last edited by smeckert; 01-02-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:17 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

'follow me" has been available in some mr controller software for at least the 3 years i have had it in mine.
mine works with android.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:30 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by mongo
'follow me" has been available in some mr controller software for at least the 3 years i have had it in mine.
mine works with android.
Did not even realize the technology had advanced that far, so fast. Not until they were showing it on TV the other day.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:35 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

This technology is advancing at an incredible pace....sort of like computers. Every 6 months to a year the new technology is twice as good as before.

Which is precisely why the feds (via Congress and the FAA) have taken steps to deal with it. Because you know...safety and all. I guess the alternative it that they do nothing, and soon our skies are filled with the little buggers, then the same group of people who are whining about govt intervention in our lives, are screaming to from the rooftops about how their govt isn't doing enough to protect them and the quality of their lives.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:39 AM
rt3232

Originally Posted by porcia83
This technology is advancing at an incredible pace....sort of like computers. Every 6 months to a year the new technology is twice as good as before.

Which is precisely why the feds (via Congress and the FAA) have taken steps to deal with it. Because you know...safety and all. I guess the alternative it that they do nothing, and soon our skies are filled with the little buggers, then the same group of people who are whining about govt intervention in our lives, are screaming to from the rooftops about how their govt isn't doing enough to protect them and the quality of their lives.
I still like the shot gun approach #4 buck shot it the little devil is over my property.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2016, 08:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rt3232
I still like the shot gun approach #4 buck shot it the little devil is over my property.

Cheers
Droppin loads!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	drone loads.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2139495  
Old 01-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Granpooba

Droppin loads!

Love it !

Already have a Lanber Over/Under, a Mossberg 930 and a Weatherby, which are all 12 gauge. Where do I purchase this ammo ? LOL
Old 01-03-2016, 03:23 PM
rt3232

And the beauty is you only have to nick one or two blades and it will come down, I don't think they will be as good to eat as pheasant

cheers
Old 01-03-2016, 04:12 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rt3232
And the beauty is you only have to nick one or two blades and it will come down, I don't think they will be as good to eat as pheasant

cheers
Drone under glass...yuck! Actually believe it or not, some of these systems can fly just fine even losing a whole prop. The flight control systems will transfer power and the gyro/stab systems kick in as well. There was a video demo of this on here not long ago.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Love it !

Already have a Lanber Over/Under, a Mossberg 930 and a Weatherby, which are all 12 gauge. Where do I purchase this ammo ? LOL
Don't hate me for this one, but I believe Amazon has some specials on them now...guess how they are delivered?
Old 01-04-2016, 10:32 AM
Granpooba

Don't hate me for this one, but I believe Amazon has some specials on them now...guess how they are delivered?
DUH !! DRONE LOL