Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Sued In Federal Court Over Drone Registration Rules

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Sued In Federal Court Over Drone Registration Rules

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA Sued In Federal Court Over Drone Registration Rules

Thankfully, a multi-rotor pilot grabbed the bull by the horns and has taken action:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...tration-rules/
Old 01-05-2016, 05:10 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gosh, you would have thought a "traditional" modeler, perhaps a self described fuel burning "backbone of the AMA" type of guy would have stepped up to the plate to fight the registration. Or perhaps, one of the 14 signatories to the infamous letter could have figured out how to form a class and file suit on that basis. But no, that would have required more than just sending off a paper letter, or knocking off an e-mail to someone, or even commenting about it on a website. Nope, it took a multi-rotor pilot to take action. I can only wonder if the "traditional" and "fuel burning" backbone of the ama members will step up to thank this guy, or worse, not say thank you if/when his suit is successful. Perhaps they will just enjoy the fruits of his cost and labor. Ironic in that those same people are calling for this type of guy to be excluded from the AMA. I guess we'll see how it shakes out.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by porcia83
Gosh, you would have thought a "traditional" modeler, perhaps a self described fuel burning "backbone of the AMA" type of guy would have stepped up to the plate to fight the registration.

FWIW, AMA filed suit challenging the basis of the FAA's interpretation of Section 336 in August 2014. Filing separately for the registration would be redundant since the same challenge is used against the FAA. That being they are violating 336 by proposing new regs.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/faa...ew-drone-rules
Old 01-05-2016, 07:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
FWIW, AMA filed suit challenging the basis of the FAA's interpretation of Section 336 in August 2014. Filing separately for the registration would be redundant since the same challenge is used against the FAA. That being they are violating 336 by proposing new regs.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/faa...ew-drone-rules
Yup, aware of that, oddly not many of the people complaining about this issue are aware that the AMA did this. That case was pretty much stalled until last month, now they have more of a "case", or at least that's what they will argue. There is never a certain outcome with these cases.....other than the attorneys making more money!
Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Gosh, you would have thought a "traditional" modeler, perhaps a self described fuel burning "backbone of the AMA" type of guy would have stepped up to the plate to fight the registration. Or perhaps, one of the 14 signatories to the infamous letter could have figured out how to form a class and file suit on that basis. But no, that would have required more than just sending off a paper letter, or knocking off an e-mail to someone, or even commenting about it on a website. Nope, it took a multi-rotor pilot to take action. I can only wonder if the "traditional" and "fuel burning" backbone of the ama members will step up to thank this guy, or worse, not say thank you if/when his suit is successful. Perhaps they will just enjoy the fruits of his cost and labor. Ironic in that those same people are calling for this type of guy to be excluded from the AMA. I guess we'll see how it shakes out.
Honestly my friend , this post is about as inflammatory as it gets .

Don't forget ;

It's impossible to claim the high ground when one is down in the pit happily rolling in the mud with the rest of the combatants !

That's all , , Carry on ......
Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Sometimes, perhaps often times, the truth hurts.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:35 AM
porcia83
Banned

Don't forget ;

It's impossible to claim the high ground when one is down in the pit happily rolling in the mud with the rest of the combatants !

That's all , , Carry on ......
Perhaps some will take it that way, perhaps some will disagree and go right on by. But as Chris notes, it's not that far off from the truth, and it's a fair point to opine on just as hundreds of other issues commented on here. I don't think I've claimed any high moral ground, nor have I attacked anyone here specifically. I've given some hypothetical here that pale in comparison to the personally directed attacks against those not going with the "group think", and it's certainly fair to question given the vehement opposition to FAA/AMA actions noted by the posters here. Opinions will vary of course.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Sometimes, perhaps often times, the truth hurts.
Truth presented in a plain & matter of fact way = constructive criticism .

Truth presented as above = looking to bait folks for a fight .

Tell me Chris , do you see constructive criticism in that post , or do you see "Poking the Bear" ?

(PS , before you ask , yes I DO consider my electric powered models , and my control line models to be just as much the "backbone" of our hobby as my liquid fueled models)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:43 AM
init4fun

Perhaps some will take it that way, perhaps some will disagree and go right on by. But as Chris notes, it's not that far off from the truth, and it's a fair point to opine on just as hundreds of other issues commented on here. I don't think I've claimed any high moral ground, nor have I attacked anyone here specifically. I've given some hypothetical here that pale in comparison to the personally directed attacks against those not going with the "group think", and it's certainly fair to question given the vehement opposition to FAA/AMA actions noted by the posters here. Opinions will vary of course.
And when I've seen folks attacking you I have spoken out against that also . No big deal , I just wanted you to know that from someone who is trying to see things here from a fair viewpoint , your post was more "poke the bear" rather than constructive criticism . That's all .
Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

+1...especially the next to last sentence

But sometimes the mud feels soooooo good you just can't help yourself...

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 01-05-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 AM
TimJ

And when I've seen folks attacking you I have spoken out against that also . No big deal , I just wanted you to know that from someone who is trying to see things here from a fair viewpoint , your post was more "poke the bear" rather than constructive criticism . That's all .

It is too easy for you folks to sit around in a circle jerk complaining about how everything is wrong, then take no appropriate actions, or even volunteer your time......
Old 01-05-2016, 09:17 AM
VF84sluggo

^^^^^ LOLOL...Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Truth presented in a plain & matter of fact way = constructive criticism .

Truth presented as above = looking to bait folks for a fight .

Tell me Chris , do you see constructive criticism in that post , or do you see "Poking the Bear" ?

(PS , before you ask , yes I DO consider my electric powered models , and my control line models to be just as much the "backbone" of our hobby as my liquid fueled models)
I see the fighters scourging for food.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
^^^^^ LOLOL...Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are!
It's not only funny, it's the truth.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:24 AM
VF84sluggo

^^^^^ Agree totally. I guess that's why I find it funny; the nail has been hit squarely on the head.

People doing nothing but pissing and moaning, pointing fingers, you hate the AMA, no I don't, I hate 'em more, I love 'em more, the FAA can't do that, the FAA can do that...yada yada yada. Good grief.

I paid my $5, could give a rat's ass if I get it back or not, got on another federal database (just a match on the big-brother lack of privacy modern American government intrusion bonfire) and have gone on my way with numbers on my planes and one more piece of paper in my fieldbox.

I'm over it.

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 01-05-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by TimJ
It is too easy for you folks to sit around in a circle jerk complaining about how everything is wrong, then take no appropriate actions, or even volunteer your time......
Oh really Tim ?

Let me ask you , Exactly how it is that you know what i do on a volunteer basis or of any actions I or any others here have taken ?

Course , I don't expect you'll actually answer , since several times I've called you out on such statements , and each time so far you haven't had the moxie to reply .

You are unfortunately all too typical of the average poster here . You develop animosities based on some difference of opinion or other , and then you follow that person around the threads , posting garbage like you just did , and not have the balls to stand up and back up your unfounded accusations .
Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM
init4fun

I see the fighters scourging for food.
Thank You for letting the board know exactly what your here for
Old 01-05-2016, 10:02 AM
porcia83
Banned

...I did that too once on your behalf and boy did that open up the thread for more discussion....I was accused of being violent etc, that was funny!

I hear ya buddy, and I see your point and position, but here's the difference for me. I have no problem with any one of my statements or comments being completely ripped apart, mocked, or ridiculed. I can chose to respond or ignore it, but I can't blame anyone by myself if I'm inflamed. I see that process as the price of admission to any online thread. I think stalking someone online and either starting or continuing to personally attack a person is a different story.

I wasn't posting "truth" above, I was putting out the hypothetical question just as many of those I asked about do when they talk about FAA, AMA, and other members here. They can choose to be inflamed or consider themselves poked, and respond or not respond accordingly, but I don't consider that a personal attack. Anyway, I did that control line aircraft...love the blue. I'd be dizzy in two rotations!
Old 01-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Some folks can't handle the truth.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:07 AM
init4fun

Changed my mind , Ain't up for rollin in the mud today .

Last edited by init4fun; 01-05-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM
init4fun

Some folks can't handle the truth.
...I wasn't posting "truth" above, I was putting out the hypothetical question ......
Good Grief Chris , try to stay with it , will ya ?
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM
cj_rumley

Hi init,

Back to the thread topic, please. I know that's okay with you, and if it spoils somebody else's day, well, tough noogies. What do you think is the impact of what was posted by OP? Seems like a non-event to me but I may be missing something, and you are one I would trust to comment on it rationally, sans the emotional drama and widespread personal attacks.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:20 AM
init4fun

...I did that too once on your behalf and boy did that open up the thread for more discussion....I was accused of being violent etc, that was funny!

I hear ya buddy, and I see your point and position, but here's the difference for me. I have no problem with any one of my statements or comments being completely ripped apart, mocked, or ridiculed. I can chose to respond or ignore it, but I can't blame anyone by myself if I'm inflamed. I see that process as the price of admission to any online thread. I think stalking someone online and either starting or continuing to personally attack a person is a different story.

I wasn't posting "truth" above, I was putting out the hypothetical question just as many of those I asked about do when they talk about FAA, AMA, and other members here. They can choose to be inflamed or consider themselves poked, and respond or not respond accordingly, but I don't consider that a personal attack. Anyway, I did that control line aircraft...love the blue. I'd be dizzy in two rotations!
Believe it or not , I've also got one of those EFlight PT-19 parkie sized planes that can be built RC or CL sitting in it's box , and I am planning to assemble it for CL when it gets it's round tuit . It would use a "park 450" for RC , but for CL to drag the extra weight & drag of the control lines I'm planning on using a "Park 480" . A three cell Lipo , an ESC , and a little ESC driver that allows for timed runs completes the CL setup .
Old 01-05-2016, 10:23 AM
TimJ

Oh really Tim ?

Let me ask you , Exactly how it is that you know what i do on a volunteer basis or of any actions I or any others here have taken ?

Course , I don't expect you'll actually answer , since several times I've called you out on such statements , and each time so far you haven't had the moxie to reply .

You are unfortunately all too typical of the average poster here . You develop animosities based on some difference of opinion or other , and then you follow that person around the threads , posting garbage like you just did , and not have the balls to stand up and back up your unfounded accusations .
Mad Bro?

Get off you high horse. I didn't direct that comment to you. At least I didn't mean to.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Why-You-Mad-Bro-Meme-05.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	2139860  

Last edited by TimJ; 01-05-2016 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:25 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Hi init,

Back to the thread topic, please. I know that's okay with you, and if it spoils somebody else's day, well, tough noogies. What do you think is the impact of what was posted by OP? Seems like a non-event to me but I may be missing something, and you are one I would trust to comment on it rationally, sans the emotional drama and widespread personal attacks.
Why would it spoil anyone's day to have the thread stay on topic. Interesting take since the first 4 comments in this thread were on topic. I know you asked init, but I'll answer too. How is a lawsuit against the FAA a non-event. It's the most proactive and aggressive step ANY individual has taken against the government with regards to this issue. Some have sent letters to the FAA, some have started petitions to the AMA and FAA. What do you think the impact of those actions will be?

This one guy put his money and position on the line, and is going up against a huge Federal agency. How could this be construed as a non-event?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.