Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA fields require pilots to have a FAA number to be permitted to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should AMA fields require pilots to have a FAA number to be permitted to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 06:05 AM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should AMA fields require pilots to have a FAA number to be permitted to fly?

I would hope no club would go down this path.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:08 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this time no, but that may change in the future if it becomes an AMA requirement. It's noted that some clubs have already moved in this direction, but I would push back on that unless it's a bylaw requirement. I suspect clubs are well intentioned, but might be jumping the gun here.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:05 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crash99
Well, lets consider this. If a pilot shows up with his model to fly at an AMA club field and does not have an FAA number, who is in violation ?

" PERSONALLY " , I do not think that the " AMA Club " has violated any FAA laws. It is the pilot flying without an FAA number that would be in violation. Thus, only the non numbered pilot could / would be cited. That is if they could even find an FAA Representative in the area to write a violation. LOL

Again " personally " and as " PORCIA83 " has made a point, having a FAA number is not a AMA or AMA Club requirement. Thus again, I do not see how anybody at the AMA club field can tell the violating pilot that he can not fly.

I have registered with the FAA ! Does not make one little bit of difference to me that now I have an FAA number to fly my model airplanes as I have been registered with the FAA since 1968, when I took my first flying lesson, right up to now present date.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:09 AM
crash99

I would hope the AMA would never go down that path. If the AMA becomes the CBO then the AMA number would become our FAA number.

If the AMA is not selected as a CBO then it should be no concern of the AMA if you have a FAA number or not.

It would be nice to know what clubs have a FAA number requirements rule.

Crash99
Old 01-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Originally Posted by porcia83
At this time no, but that may change in the future if it becomes an AMA requirement. It's noted that some clubs have already moved in this direction, but I would push back on that unless it's a bylaw requirement. I suspect clubs are well intentioned, but might be jumping the gun here.
Agreed, the clubs need to take a seat til the dust settles and see if the FAA requirement is proven to be the law of the land. At that point, any club with a private flying site, AMA or not, should self-police and require the registration # on all aircraft flown there. In the event of an incident with an un-registered craft, failure to do so will most likely land right back on the club and the FAA can make life difficult for them.

Public flying sites, such as those run by Parks & Rec depts, etc, are a different story.

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Again " personally " and as " PORCIA83 " has made a point, having a FAA number is not a AMA or AMA Club requirement. Thus again, I do not see how anybody at the AMA club field can tell the violating pilot that he can not fly.
Not yet, but if things go the way they have gone in the past, it probably will be. Making the FAA registration a requirement for flight at a club, prior to any FAA/AMA agreement, is as simple as a by-law change and a vote. Personally, I cannot see how it wouldn't become a requirement....

Last edited by Hemikiller; 01-05-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Our club meeting is this week, and it's the first agenda item on the list. We will do nothing to ensure a pilot has met his federal obligation. That's not an AMA nor club requirement now. I will also be confirming the AMA position about registration, we wait to hear back from them but in no event will be go past the reg date. As soon as we know, they will now. I think it's up to clubs to get this info out as well, I met people at our event on 1/1 who had no idea about the whole reg process.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:16 PM
crash99

I talked with the AMA and they feel at this time, the FAA number is the same as video TX above 25mw that requires an Ham Radio licenses. The AMA feels that is between the AMA member and the FCC.

So if an AMA member decides not to register, that's between the AMA member and the FAA.

This will have no effect on the members AMA membership or benefits.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

Who did you speak to?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:26 PM
crash99

I want to say Tony but I'm not sure. I told them I needed to talk with the folks dealing with the FAA registration.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Probably Tony Stillman. A few other folks had spoken to him and he said the same thing, they posted in somewhere on RCU..in one of the AMA related threads. There's only two or three..should be easy to find. Ha!
Old 01-05-2016, 01:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/F...gistration.pdf

Hot off the press!
Old 01-05-2016, 02:07 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

At the present time , where there is no requirement to register till FEB 19 , I can see it being a non issue whether someone is registered or not .

But after feb 19 , and after the court case(s) have all played out , if a registration requirement still exists , I wonder what the AMA's insurance companies are going to do if they receive a claim from an AMA member who isn't registered ? By then , if the registration requirement HAS been upheld , and the pilot will have broken the law , will the insurer use that unregistered status as a reason to deny the claim ? As it is now , if your trespassing , flying where you haven't got permission to , it says right in the AMA documents that you won't be covered . If breaking one law (trespassing) can get your coverage denied what's to say that breaking another law (having no registration) won't produce the same denied coverage result ?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:19 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No it is not the clubs responsibility to enforce FAA rules IMO.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:23 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

No. No. And no.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:34 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Clubs expend effort to ensure everyone is an AMA member, how is checking for FAA registration different?

Whether they do it or not will depend on their membership's fear of being considered negligent in not making an effort to ensure all members are flying within the law as well as AMA guidelines. Some clubs worry more about such issues than others.

Direct FAA involvement in our hobby is a bad thing and will be a "game changer" for many of us.

Last edited by 049flyer; 01-05-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Granpooba

WELL !! Today I just received an email in regards to this exact subject. It stated in the email that FAA Registration was going to be written into the clubs By-laws and that every member should register with the FAA. Part of the reasoning behind this was to show the town in which the field is located, that the club was a law abiding club. As if we were not already !

In my reply email I stated that I was already ahead of their little game, as I had already registered with the FAA, and that I had been registered with the FAA since 1968 when I took my first flying lesson.

What I objected to was the club writing this requirement into its By-Laws. As far as I was concerned, the club had no authority to enforce FAA Registration. I also asked the question the question that if a member has paid his club dues, was also an AMA member and showed up at the field to fly his model airplane, are you going to tell his that he can not fly, if he is not registered with the FAA If they told him he could not fly, then I feel that they were impersonating the FAA of which they had no right to do so and was leaving themselves open to arrest for impersonating a government official.

" Personally " and I really do mean " PERSONALLY ", this whole matter of a CLUB enforcing a government law has really opened up a great big can of worms and more than just AMA versus FAA lawsuits could result.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:40 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Depends on if the club would be considered negligent in not making an effort to ensure all members are flying within established law, guidelines and procedures. Some clubs worry more about such issues than others.

Direct FAA involvement in our hobby is a bad thing and will be a "game changer" for many of us.
The club is not required to register with the FAA, the individual us. Negligence is not imputed here. Club members are required to be licensed to drive a vehicle on the road, are clubs checking the drivers licenses of it's members? Until the AMA says otherwise, it's not something that's required. Of course clubs could mandated this as part of their rules or regs, but that would need to be spelled out in the bylaws I suppose.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

WELL !! Today I just received an email in regards to this exact subject. It stated in the email that FAA Registration was going to be written into the clubs By-laws and that every member should register with the FAA. Part of the reasoning behind this was to show the town in which the field is located, that the club was a law abiding club. As if we were not already !

In my reply email I stated that I was already ahead of their little game, as I had already registered with the FAA, and that I had been registered with the FAA since 1968 when I took my first flying lesson.

What I objected to was the club writing this requirement into its By-Laws. As far as I was concerned, the club had no authority to enforce FAA Registration. I also asked the question the question that if a member has paid his club dues, was also an AMA member and showed up at the field to fly his model airplane, are you going to tell his that he can not fly, if he is not registered with the FAA If they told him he could not fly, then I feel that they were impersonating the FAA of which they had no right to do so and was leaving themselves open to arrest for impersonating a government official.

" Personally " and I really do mean " PERSONALLY ", this whole matter of a CLUB enforcing a government law has really opened up a great big can of worms and more than just AMA versus FAA lawsuits could result.
Don't changes to your clubs by-laws require a motion, then a discussion period, then a vote of some type?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:46 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by porcia83
Don't changes to your clubs by-laws require a motion, then a discussion period, then a vote of some type?
I thought a motion, discussion and vote was the usual procedure. But, now only time will tell how this club is really working.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:47 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Perception is reality. If the clubs think they need to check "Union Cards" then they will.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:03 PM
crash99

Granpooba, what club is that? Sounds like you have some fun police drinking the FAA juice.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:18 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I would hope that the clubs would not succomb to the pettiness of many of the people on these boards, or the selfishness of the group who started this mess in the first place. recognize that the purpose of registration is to make our NAS a safer place. And for those without the mental accuity to understand how it makes the NAS safer... maybe I shouldn't say what I want to.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Granpooba

Granpooba, what club is that? Sounds like you have some fun police drinking the FAA juice.
I am even to embarrassed to mention the clubs name. All that I can say is that it does kiss the Towns Butt where it is located.

Notice that I live in NY state and the club that I am referring to is across the state line in Vermont.

I do not think that they are drinking any FAA juice. But maybe they are smoking some Whacky Tobacky with town board members .
Old 01-05-2016, 03:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I would hope that the clubs would not succomb to the pettiness of many of the people on these boards, or the selfishness of the group who started this mess in the first place. recognize that the purpose of registration is to make our NAS a safer place. And for those without the mental accuity to understand how it makes the NAS safer... maybe I shouldn't say what I want to.
Perhaps the club(s) you belong are immune to human nature...but the "selfishness and pittiness" of this board or any board is probably replicated in any group of people the size of which you see here. Assuming you feel a small group of people started this mess, I'm always curious as to why the big box electronic and consumer supplies are left out of the blame, ie Walmart, Amazon etc. It seems we give our little hobby to much credit sometimes, and not enough in others.

But you should say what you want to....you'll probably feel better.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

I thought a motion, discussion and vote was the usual procedure. But, now only time will tell how this club is really working.
Originally Posted by 049flyer
Perception is reality. If the clubs think they need to check "Union Cards" then they will.
I am even to embarrassed to mention the clubs name. All that I can say is that it does kiss the Towns Butt where it is located.

Notice that I live in NY state and the club that I am referring to is across the state line in Vermont.

I do not think that they are drinking any FAA juice. But maybe they are smoking some Whacky Tobacky with town board members .
Ironically the clubs may be doing the same thing they complain about the FAA doing...overstepping their bounds without a timely review of what they are proposing. I like to think the clubs just want to be proactive, but the more I see this, the more I think otherwise. Perhaps some clubs don't have bylaws, but all I belong to do. It's not a quick or easy process to change by-laws, nor should it be. The issues should be dealt with according to rules and bylaws...if the EC of your club is trying to sidestep that, you should be very vocal about calling that out.
Ironically the club

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.