Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Registration Website Terminology

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Registration Website Terminology

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:15 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FAA Registration Website Terminology

I'll admit to some confusion regarding registration requirements. EVERYTHING I read on the FAA website about Drones, and about Drone Registration, makes NO mention of model aircraft.
On the registration form itself, you're supposed to select the model, manufacturer, and type of DRONE from preselected data checkboxes. Again, NO choices about any brand, breed, type, or kind of MODEL AIRCRAFT.

I'm inclined to believe that since I do not have a drone to register, and nothing on the FAA website mentions what I *do* have, that there really is no need for all the hullabaloo about this issue, if I simply comply with the Law (we talk about it as "336")

Anyone care to share with me where the FAA references are about MODEL AIRCRAFT with regard to registration of same?
Old 01-06-2016, 04:23 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start with the FAQs....then look at the registration information. It's pretty clear what is supposed to be registered.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:47 PM
Bob Pastorello

This is the only reference I have been able to find....from the FAA FAQs:

"Q19. Updated: I would like to fly my Radio/Remote Controlled (RC) aircraft outdoors, do I have to register it?A. Yes, RC aircraft are unmanned aircraft and must be registered online if they weigh more than 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 pounds."

That makes little sense to me, as clearly it contradicts contents of 336. I know it doesn't have to make any sense; I was just hoping that someone reading this AMA forum might have authoritative knowledge with credible references.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

It does go against 336, That is why the ama should be suing the faa ,,,,,,again over this, Instead we have a modeler taking them to court trying to do what the ama seems not to be doing.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...stration-rule/
Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Bob Pastorello

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
It does go against 336, That is why the ama should be suing the faa ,,,,,,again over this, Instead we have a modeler taking them to court trying to do what the ama seems not to be doing.
The pure irony of a drone driver being the one to contest it....beyond words.
Thanks for the link. Good info.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:27 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
This is the only reference I have been able to find....from the FAA FAQs:

"Q19. Updated: I would like to fly my Radio/Remote Controlled (RC) aircraft outdoors, do I have to register it?A. Yes, RC aircraft are unmanned aircraft and must be registered online if they weigh more than 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 pounds."

That makes little sense to me, as clearly it contradicts contents of 336. I know it doesn't have to make any sense; I was just hoping that someone reading this AMA forum might have authoritative knowledge with credible references.
For me, the FAA is the most authoritative and credible entity that would have a working knowledge of the registration requirements, seeing as how they authored them. I don't think you will find more credible information on this or any other RC related website. Not to say there isn't good information here, but there is also a huge amount of misinformation, misinterpretation, and outright errors as well. The AMA has confirmed the registration (although they don't agree with it), and the FAA has indicated it's now a requirement, not sure where the disconnect is. The FAA believes their directive trumps 336, it ends there. Now the courts will decide, but doubtful they will be able to do so before 2-19.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

Perhaps you were not aware of pending litigation against the FAA...filed by the AMA?

The pure irony of a drone driver being the one to contest it....beyond words.
Thanks for the link. Good info.
The irony here is that his case mirrors that which the AMA filed back in 2014. Were you aware of this litigation? Also, the plaintiff is a multi-rotor enthusiast, which might be different than "drone driver". Not much was able to be done on that case until the FAA took the action they did at the end of last year.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:33 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by porcia83
Perhaps you were not aware of pending litigation against the FAA...filed by the AMA? .
Yes, that is why I wrote "again over this" referring to registration.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

Really, this sure doesn't look like you were aware of that, why then would you suggest they file another lawsuit ? Here is what you said, in full:

That is why the ama should be suing the faa ,,,,,,again over this, Instead we have a modeler taking them to court trying to do what the ama seems not to be doing.

You're complaining that another guy filed suit and was doing something the AMA "seems not to be doing", despite the fact that they are doing something, and the suits are almost identical in nature. What exactly should the AMA be doing in their lawsuit that this guy isn't doing? Have you read each of the suits?
Old 01-07-2016, 05:01 AM
flyinwalenda

As usual you are the only one complaining and arguing (or trying to) here and elsewhere........not me !
Have fun Tom !
Old 01-07-2016, 05:06 AM
porcia83
Banned

As usual you are the only one complaining and arguing (or trying to) here and elsewhere........not me !
Have fun Tom !
As usual Brian you are twisting and spinning, and avoiding the questions that you are unable to answer. Nobody was complaining. But it's pretty clear you had no idea the AMA had a pending suit, and certainly haven't read both of the lawsuits. Carry on !
Old 01-07-2016, 07:00 AM
Silent-AV8R

The AMA is already suing the FAA over the FAA Interpretation of Section 336. The basis of another suit would be the same as the original so it would be redundant to sue again.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/faa...ew-drone-rules
Old 01-07-2016, 07:04 AM
Silent-AV8R

To be clear, as I noted in my first response, the foundational element of both suits is the FAA's categorization of models as aircraft and the FAA violation of 336. Filing a second suit over the same point would be a meaningless and redundant waste of money and effort. And since the first suit also challenges other key points of the FAA's view of model aircraft it is the more important one.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Bob Pastorello

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
To be clear, as I noted in my first response, the foundational element of both suits is the FAA's categorization of models as aircraft and the FAA violation of 336. Filing a second suit over the same point would be a meaningless and redundant waste of money and effort. And since the first suit also challenges other key points of the FAA's view of model aircraft it is the more important one.
Silent - is your interpretation of these suits that they essentially seek the FAA's compliance with 336 relating to the definition of "model aircraft", as well as other things...??
Old 01-07-2016, 10:41 AM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you get back on the subject? How does a person fill out the FAA form if he doesn't fly drones?
Old 01-07-2016, 10:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by wnewbury
Can you get back on the subject? How does a person fill out the FAA form if he doesn't fly drones?

Step away from the term "drone".

If you are flying something over .55 pounds and under 55 pounds it's now considered a UAS (unmanned aircraft system). Quad, heli, fixed wing, it doesn't matter what we call it, the feds call it a UAS and it now needs to be registered. See the numerous e-mails from the AMA on the matter, as well as the FAA, and most importantly their directions.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
Old 01-07-2016, 10:57 AM
Silent-AV8R

Silent - is your interpretation of these suits that they essentially seek the FAA's compliance with 336 relating to the definition of "model aircraft", as well as other things...??
I see two main points in the AMA suit:

1) FAA is acting contrary to Section 336. That stands for both their Interpretation and the recent registration actions.

2) FAA is incorrect in categorizing model airplanes as "aircraft" for the sake of regulation. Again, this applies to both the "Interpretation" and the registration.

336 allows FAA to take action for reckless and careless actions on the part of modelers, but AMA says that the FAA cannot define us as aircraft and then decide to apply any and all existing FARs to models.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Silent-AV8R

The FAA registration is for small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) operators. Drones is not a term that applies to anything in an official sense on the part of the FAA. FAA says our models are a type of sUAS, and therefore subject to registration.

FAA only uses "drone" in a colloquial sense but to them there is no difference between a sUAS and what is commonly called a "drone".
Old 01-07-2016, 11:41 AM
TimJ

Thank you Silent-AV8R. Now we just need to copy and paste your great explanation and just keep pasting it when the question comes up like it's been over and over. LOL
Old 01-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if you have gotten the actual response that you are looking for. If you are commercial operator, you must register each individual UAS. If you are a modeler, you register yourself and use the same number in all your aircraft.

Hope this helped.

Rafael
Old 01-07-2016, 01:39 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by TimJ
Thank you Silent-AV8R. Now we just need to copy and paste your great explanation and just keep pasting it when the question comes up like it's been over and over. LOL

I sometimes feel like I am droning on about it!!
Old 01-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Bob Pastorello

The FAA registration is for small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) operators. Drones is not a term that applies to anything in an official sense on the part of the FAA. FAA says our models are a type of sUAS, and therefore subject to registration.

FAA only uses "drone" in a colloquial sense but to them there is no difference between a sUAS and what is commonly called a "drone".
Thanks, Silent....that seems reasonable, and is what originated my question. The registration website simply does not pertain, nor define or explain what we're supposed to do with "model aircraft", and that registration site incessantly drones on and on about drones (two can play the pun game
Old 01-07-2016, 03:50 PM
flyinwalenda

As usual Brian you are twisting and spinning, and avoiding the questions that you are unable to answer. Nobody was complaining. But it's pretty clear you had no idea the AMA had a pending suit, and certainly haven't read both of the lawsuits. Carry on !
Twisting and spinning ? HA! That's rich .....coming from you !

You're complaining that another guy filed suit and was doing something the AMA "seems not to be doing", despite the fact that they are doing something, and the suits are almost identical in nature. What exactly should the AMA be doing in their lawsuit that this guy isn't doing? Have you read each of the suits?
Nobody was complaining ? You were complaining by stating that I was complaining ,now your stating that no one was complaining ! Make up you mind man !
Old 01-07-2016, 03:54 PM
flyinwalenda

There should be two separate and distinct suits, in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 PM
franklin_m

There should be two separate and distinct suits, in my opinion.
Courts will decide. They've already consolidated four separate cases vs FAA on this into one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.