Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA FAA agree to streamline registration for AMA members.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA FAA agree to streamline registration for AMA members.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA FAA agree to streamline registration for AMA members.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/

You will use your AMA number. Success!

However, they should not state that you will be violating FAA rules if you register after Feb 19. That is not true, you can take as long as you want. You are not in violation till after you actually fly the unregistered model.

However, I will never register.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:56 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/

You will use your AMA number. Success!

However, they should not state that you will be violating FAA rules if you register after Feb 19. That is not true, you can take as long as you want. You are not in violation till after you actually fly the unregistered model.

However, I will never register.
Funny how two people can read the same thing and get a totally different meaning, The way I read the AMA release is that are in negotiation with the FFA on this issue but it is not yet the law.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ira d
Funny how two people can read the same thing and get a totally different meaning, The way I read the AMA release is that are in negotiation with the FFA on this issue but it is not yet the law.

No it is not yet the law, the FAA has to go through the entire procedure. Takes months. Where do I say it is the law? I used future tense and never claimed a date.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:05 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Poorly worded.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:11 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Poorly worded.
All I said was that you will use your AMA number. You were to click the link for the details.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:41 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All I said was that you will use your AMA number. You were to click the link for the details.

And thats a maybe we don't know for sure until the FAA says what they will agree to all we know now is what the AMA would like to see happen.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, what happens if you did register before this whole cluster**** of mistakes gets resolved. ??The FAA has no reason to to need your AMA number and they will not get mine.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:49 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I registered the first day.
I have no issues with giving them the information required.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:37 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

We shouldn't have to do anything ! AMA has all of our info, this should be seamless for AMA members. This should be a simple process but again we are dealing with a gubernment organization. I would like to know exactly how hard is the AMA pushing this ?
Old 01-11-2016, 05:03 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
We shouldn't have to do anything ! AMA has all of our info, this should be seamless for AMA members. This should be a simple process but again we are dealing with a gubernment organization. I would like to know exactly how hard is the AMA pushing this ?
You can ask them yourself if your curious, either via Youtube or the AMA site. It's the first thing they said they were going to try to get a deal on, so it would seem that it's something they were pushing hard on. As for this being seamless, perhaps you missed some of the folks here vehemently against the AMA turning over their number to the feds, so it remains to be seen how that is going to happen in a seamless manner, or without their permission.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:53 AM
fliers1

Don't know if anyone brought this up before, but suppose AMA paid for all member's registration fees, since FAA will reimburse all fees anyway?
Old 01-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ira d
And thats a maybe we don't know for sure until the FAA says what they will agree to all we know now is what the AMA would like to see happen.
The AMA said "in principal", that means they have an agreement but have not worked out the details.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by FLAPHappy
Ok, what happens if you did register before this whole cluster**** of mistakes gets resolved. ??The FAA has no reason to to need your AMA number and they will not get mine.
I am guessing the FAA will get access to the database, or at least when there is an incident and your registration number will be retired.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
You can ask them yourself if your curious, either via Youtube or the AMA site. It's the first thing they said they were going to try to get a deal on, so it would seem that it's something they were pushing hard on. As for this being seamless, perhaps you missed some of the folks here vehemently against the AMA turning over their number to the feds, so it remains to be seen how that is going to happen in a seamless manner, or without their permission.
The Feds can get the database if they want it. Might take a warrant, but that is easy to do now.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:10 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't want any private entity between me and the government. I will register, I don't want some car club to renew my car registration. There are some functions that are inherently governmental. How are you going to streamline a process that takes 5 or 10 minutes?

A hacker can hit the AMA database just as easily as any federal database. Keep the AMA out of my government requirements. All the AMA is trying to do is secure memberships.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by on_your_six
I really don't want any private entity between me and the government. I will register, I don't want some car club to renew my car registration. There are some functions that are inherently governmental. How are you going to streamline a process that takes 5 or 10 minutes?

A hacker can hit the AMA database just as easily as any federal database. Keep the AMA out of my government requirements. All the AMA is trying to do is secure memberships.
But the AMA is already doing this. The FAA can and will get this information even without. I will bet your bottom dollar that even before this, if a model airplane crashed into a manned plane, and the FAA found an AMA number on it, they would get a warrant and get the member information from the AMA. So what is the difference here?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by on_your_six

But the AMA is already doing this. The FAA can and will get this information. I will bet your bottom dollar that even before this, if a model airplane crashed into a manned plane, and the FAA found an AMA number on it, they would get a warrant and get the member information from the AMA. So what is the difference here?

Also the AMA is not a private entity it is public as all members are basically the owners.

The Chinese are not hacking the AMA data base. Or if they are they are stupid an wasting their time.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

But the AMA is already doing this. The FAA can and will get this information. I will bet your bottom dollar that even before this, if a model airplane crashed into a manned plane, and the FAA found an AMA number on it, they would get a warrant and get the member information from the AMA. So what is the difference here?

Also the AMA is not a private entity it is public as all members are basically the owners.

The Chinese are not hacking the AMA data base. Or if they are they are stupid an wasting their time.
Again...seriously?
Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

Again...seriously?
Yes it is a membership organization, that means we a member have some benefits of ownership. Since it is non profit, profit is not one of them so it is not like owing stock either.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:05 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yes it is a membership organization, that means we a member have some benefits of ownership. Since it is non profit, profit is not one of them so it is not like owing stock either.
And yet above you say we're basically like owners....I can't keep up.

We don't own anything...we are members of a group, that's all.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Sport_Pilot

And yet above you say we're basically like owners....I can't keep up.

We don't own anything...we are members of a group, that's all.
Well a member takes a small amount of ownership and responsibility. In a corporation one has to be hired to have impact in the company. In the AMA and other membership corporation, any member can stand up and ask other members to vote for them. All you have to do is join and put your name in the hat. It is not like a public or private corporation at all.

Are you afraid of the Chinese hacking the AMA? Seriously?

Oh BTW Mythbusters disproved the myth that a bullet fired straight up would kill you. The example previously given was from a gun fired from a mile away which could not have been straight up.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode50
Old 01-12-2016, 10:33 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

So in two years when my membership is due, they can take $5 of the $70 I send them and give it to the FAA. Oh Boy! What a deal! in the meantime, I register, pay $5 and am now on the list for both organizations for the next two years. In reality, WHAT IS IT REALLY DOING TO MAKE THE NAS SAFER???? NOTHING!
What a bunch of fricken tail wagging the dog politics.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am really putting this whole damn issue to bed !

As I have stated in the past, the FAA has had all of my information since I first applied for my Pilots Certificate in 1968. The AMA has had my information since I first joined, back whenever it was.

I have always posted my AMA information in all RC models that I have built and flown.

Now, I have registered to fly RC Models with the FAA and I have ordered vinyl FAA numbers to be applied to my models.

Lets see now, AMA information on the inside of model and FAA registration on outside of model.

Whatever the AMA or the FAA decide to do from this day forth, I figure that my butt is covered !
Old 01-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by scottrc
So in two years when my membership is due, they can take $5 of the $70 I send them and give it to the FAA. Oh Boy! What a deal! in the meantime, I register, pay $5 and am now on the list for both organizations for the next two years. In reality, WHAT IS IT REALLY DOING TO MAKE THE NAS SAFER???? NOTHING!
What a bunch of fricken tail wagging the dog politics.
They did not say they were paying $5 to the FAA. Why would they? The five bucks is to pay the FAA to maintain it's registration. If anything the FAA should pay the AMA a few bucks.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:36 AM
Granpooba

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They did not say they were paying $5 to the FAA. Why would they? The five bucks is to pay the FAA to maintain it's registration. If anything the FAA should pay the AMA a few bucks.
FAA does not need to pay the AMA anything. We are the ones forking out our bucks to the AMA .............. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.