Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Never before have I ever seen anything like this

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Never before have I ever seen anything like this

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:55 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

if the FAA get's enough non cliance U can bet they

The FAA ? ......... They don't scare me one bit .

But the thought of a guy operating dangerous machinery , who spells words like "compliance" as "cliance" , does in fact scare the living crap outta me !

Rock on Dawg , the world is yours for the taking
Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Posted by Roby:

When I was a young kid I used to wonder why old people were always so crabby ...................................now I know. "

I am now considered "old people" and I am crabby because of all the BS I have witnessed in my 67 years!!!

I will ink mark in the smallest font I can on the back side of my prop on the light side and then clear coat with paint that area to bring the prop into balance.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:13 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I owned an aircraft I never had an FBO ask to see my FAA registration papers. So I don't see why a club should ask. Any full scale flyers have an FBO ask to see your papers?
Old 02-02-2016, 07:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
"Posted by Roby:

When I was a young kid I used to wonder why old people were always so crabby ...................................now I know. "

I am now considered "old people" and I am crabby because of all the BS I have witnessed in my 67 years!!!

I will ink mark in the smallest font I can on the back side of my prop on the light side and then clear coat with paint that area to bring the prop into balance.
Well right now I am crabby because of the sore knee, sore hips, and ringing in my ears!
Old 02-02-2016, 07:17 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Plus 1 for everything you say Roby, well almost everything. " LOL " Yes, as we get older and see much more crap that has been happening than the younger generations, thus we do lean towards the crabby side.

I agree that as a Safety Officer in your club, you may have the right to ask if other members are FAA registered. But, that is about as far and that is where your authority ends as YOU have NO credentials to enforce any FAA regulations, unless you do happen to be an FAA Examiner.

I have been registered as a pilot with the FAA since 1968 and could not understand why I had to register again, but I did. Partly the reason being is that I did not want any hassles at my flying fields, nor any hard feelings with club officers or members that might ask if I was FAA registered. I believe it is just easier to say, yes I am registered and there is my number on my model. Easier to say that than, who do you think you are ? Where are your FAA credentials ? If you do not have any FAA credentials, then do not bother me !

As for your Boston Mass. newspapers, it might be better if the British returned and took it back. LOL They are famous for their London Bridge and not bridges falling apart as in both MA and NY state.

Good luck at your flying field " Heir Safety Officer " ! LOL
could not understand why I had to register again,

So U don't put Your Full Scale license in Jeopardy.

As for your Boston Mass. newspapers,

That's the greatest thing I'heard of. The AMA should have been taking out full page adds saying that all members and anyone flying any R/C TOY get registered explain why and to stay away from all towered airports by at least 5 miles and below 400' AGL except when flying on/at any registered R/C flying field. The AMA should ask for Our fair share of the NAS all we need is a 1/4 mile radius circle of protected air space with a ceiling of 1/2 the least of any towered airport has. We are treated by the FAA as users of the NAS then let us have our share, and keep Full scale away just as they are required to for stadiums, Power Plants, blasting areas, Prohibited and restricted zones. All of which the least are 3 mile radius and at least 3000' AGL. We and the AMA have/should be FIGHTING for our fair share of the NAS.

Besides Google FAR 91.19 (b) it requires all full scale air planes to stay over 100' AGL when within 2000' Horizontal distance of any occupied R/C Field and that's according to the FSDO at Scotsdale AZ.

[TABLE="width: 90%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 582"]

Code of Federal Regulations

Sec. 91.119

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%, colspan: 2"]
Part 91 GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 50%"]Subpart B--Flight Rules[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%"]
General
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Sec. 91.119

Minimum safe altitudes: General.

Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

So basically anytime there 2 people at an R/C field all Airplanes must stay at least 1000' Above the ground Not 500' Already.

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-02-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:30 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
When I owned an aircraft I never had an FBO ask to see my FAA registration papers. So I don't see why a club should ask. Any full scale flyers have an FBO ask to see your papers?
Ever get Ramp checked ... Had it twice in rented aircraft. U just hope they had the proper paper work up to date too.Not a fun experience ..

Neither is having Costumes making U remove every single piece of baggage when On returning to the USA from Canada on your Honeymoon and threatening to impound the air craft for lack of a $25 sticker.

Complying with the LAW of the LAND (FAA) is a lot easier than being a bunch of defiant O'l S-D-R-U-T-S-A-B
Old 02-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Ever get Ramp checked ... Had it twice in rented aircraft. U just hope they had the proper paper work up to date too.Not a fun experience ..

Neither is having Costumes making U remove every single piece of baggage when On returning to the USA from Canada on your Honeymoon and threatening to impound the air craft for lack of a $25 sticker.

Complying with the LAW of the LAND (FAA) is a lot easier than being a bunch of defiant O'l S-D-R-U-T-S-A-B
Ramp checks are done by the FAA not the FBO. It's like the cops coming to your field and giving someone a ticket for having an out of date tag.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:59 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

my sympathies.I have flown over 40 years.this stuff is crap but like you reluctantly i succumbed and registered.I am sure the nazis at our field will be making us comply shortly .and will this BS make the country safer I have my doubts.These days civility and good old common sense seem to have completely gone away.there will always be rogues pushing the limits where they can fly .the funny thing with drones in many ways it doesnt take much to fly one and i dont see the fascination but each their own.my neighbors always say why dont you have one.I just say never.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ramp checks are done by the FAA not the FBO. It's like the cops coming to your field and giving someone a ticket for having an out of date tag.
Have been Ramp Checked by the FAA a couple of times and happily all of MY and AIRCRAFT paper work were in order, thus no problems.
BUT !! For some reason my Co-Pilot happened to have (2) wallets or was in the process of changing over to a new wallet. He mistakenly left the wallet that had his Medical Certificate at home, that one day. The FAA Inspector, being the " Axx Hole " that he was, violated my Co-Pilot for not having the medical on his person. My Co-Pilot lost his license for TWO months, just for that one simple mishap and a FAA Inspector that had to demonstrate his powers.

Not much of a point here ........ but their are some real Ding-A-Ling FAA Inspectors out there, that just love proving their powers and violating people. Even a good friend of mine that just retired from the FAA will tell you the same thing. Even he has TWO law suits pending against the FAA and at this point, it looks like the FAA is going to loose, because of a real JERK FAA Station Chief.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Bill0

There is a club here on the left coast that requires you to wear, in plain sight , your AMA card AND your FAA reg. number, or you don't fly there.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:24 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Have been Ramp Checked by the FAA a couple of times and happily all of MY and AIRCRAFT paper work were in order, thus no problems.
BUT !! For some reason my Co-Pilot happened to have (2) wallets or was in the process of changing over to a new wallet. He mistakenly left the wallet that had his Medical Certificate at home, that one day. The FAA Inspector, being the " Axx Hole " that he was, violated my Co-Pilot for not having the medical on his person. My Co-Pilot lost his license for TWO months, just for that one simple mishap and a FAA Inspector that had to demonstrate his powers.

Not much of a point here ........ but their are some real Ding-A-Ling FAA Inspectors out there, that just love proving their powers and violating people. Even a good friend of mine that just retired from the FAA will tell you the same thing. Even he has TWO law suits pending against the FAA and at this point, it looks like the FAA is going to loose, because of a real JERK FAA Station Chief.

I was never ramp checked, but I was only flying full scale for about 7 years almost a thousand hours. But as I said the ramp checks are from the FAA not the FBO. For the club to check would be like the FBO asking for your registration papers.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:26 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Bill0
There is a club here on the left coast that requires you to wear, in plain sight , your AMA card AND your FAA reg. number, or you don't fly there.
I would possibly sue them in small claims court. After asking why they are sticking their nose into my business. Actually not sure that would be the right court. Small claims would need proof of monetary damages.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:27 PM
fly24-7

For better or worse, my club chose to update the by-laws requiring both AMA and FAA registration in order to be eligible to fly. As part of enforcement, members will be required to provide their FAA number the same as their AMA number to be included in the membership roster. We do not plan to go as far as checking aircraft for proper markings. We'll expect that members will abide by the rules and mark their planes in accordance with AMA and FAA requirements.

We choose this to avoid running afoul of the entity from whom we lease our flying site. I suspect this this is the best reason for any club to require adherence and to stay out of the political football game that is the FAA vs. the AMA. While we don't like the FAA registration concept, we also don't like the idea of possibly losing our field because a non-complying member causes an accident and an investigation shows they're not complying with the laws of the land.

Until a court rules that the FAA registration is unlawful, we'll require club member adherence through gritted teeth.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:37 PM
JohnB96041

[QUOTE=Bill0;12171533]There is a club here on the left coast that requires you to wear, in plain sight , your AMA card AND your FAA reg. number, or you don't fly there.[/QUOTE

I like the idea of wearing the AMA card and FAA reg number in plain sight. Now nobody will need to ask to see them.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fly24-7
For better or worse, my club chose to update the by-laws requiring both AMA and FAA registration in order to be eligible to fly. As part of enforcement, members will be required to provide their FAA number the same as their AMA number to be included in the membership roster. We do not plan to go as far as checking aircraft for proper markings. We'll expect that members will abide by the rules and mark their planes in accordance with AMA and FAA requirements.

We choose this to avoid running afoul of the entity from whom we lease our flying site. I suspect this this is the best reason for any club to require adherence and to stay out of the political football game that is the FAA vs. the AMA. While we don't like the FAA registration concept, we also don't like the idea of possibly losing our field because a non-complying member causes an accident and an investigation shows they're not complying with the laws of the land.

Until a court rules that the FAA registration is unlawful, we'll require club member adherence through gritted teeth.

I belong to a club that was going to do as yours is doing but when the membership objected they changed their mind and decided they did not want to keep a database of everyones numbers in case the wrong people
got access to the numbers. At this point there is no reason for a club to enforce the FAA's rules and that should be explained to the landlord should they ask, In fact both of my clubs just asked that we register and left it at that.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:54 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I really don't want to start any kind of war here, but IMHO, your club is being just a bit illogical. You're going to go along with the FAA as far as the personal ID thing, but you're going to violate the FAA as far as the markings on acft thing. At least you're half-way there, whichever is right.

Please note; I said nothing about the FAA being legal or not. That's another whole ball of wax.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:51 PM
fly24-7

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I really don't want to start any kind of war here, but IMHO, your club is being just a bit illogical. You're going to go along with the FAA as far as the personal ID thing, but you're going to violate the FAA as far as the markings on acft thing. At least you're half-way there, whichever is right.

Please note; I said nothing about the FAA being legal or not. That's another whole ball of wax.
Not sure how you arrived at us looking to violate the marking requirement? We're following the same principles that we would for AMA Safety Code adherence. We'll keep a roster that documents registration with both FAA and AMA so that we have a record that demonstrates that members have registered. As for rule adherence, we're not running around the field now checking that aircraft are marked per the AMA safety code, we'll choose to not do this with the FAA marking as well. We place individual accountability for membership to follow the rules. If they don't, there are consequences for rule infractions per the by-laws. We didn't see a benefit to p!ssing everyone off creating a police state of inspections.

At the end of the day, the membership had to vote to amend the club by-laws. If there's wasn't buy-in to the change, it would have been voted down. I'm not saying that this is all logical in the least. In fact, I find the entire FAA registration initiative a joke and think it will have little if any impact on curbing irresponsible flying practices. I'm simply sharing our club's decision on how we're managing this mess. It's not a perfect solution but I suppose it's better than nothing.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:57 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
If Roby is acting as the elected safety officer for the club , it is his responsibility to address the safety issues that are spelled out in the club's bylaws . ALL clubs have bylaws (or rules , or whatever you want to call them) that specifically list what are unacceptable behaviors , safety wise , for the safety officer to police , are we in agreement so far ? . "Don't fly over the pits" , "Only X number of aircraft in the air at one time" , and so on . Now , till there is something written into the club's bylaws specifically mandating the FAA registration and giving the safety officer the authority to check for club member compliance on the club's behalf , you would be outside of your authority as safety officer just as you would be to kick someone off the property who showed up in a car with an expired inspection sticker showing on it's windshield ! Since there is no increased threat to the immediate physical safety of other people whether or not an FAA number is displayed , and since your club's bylaws don't grant you all encompassing law enforcement rights , only the right to intercede on behaviors directly related to folk's immediate physical safety , I do believe it would amount to overextending the authority granted to you by the club .

Not to mention that untill compliance with the FAA registration becomes a club requirement through a vote by the members , as ALL club bylaw additions/changes must be , you WILL be seen as a field Nazi by anyone you ask for their FAA number , for the reason stated above .
Not sure how you arrived at us looking to violate the marking requirement? We're following the same principles that we would for AMA Safety Code adherence. We'll keep a roster that documents registration with both FAA and AMA so that we have a record that demonstrates that members have registered. As for rule adherence, we're not running around the field now checking that aircraft are marked per the AMA safety code, we'll choose to not do this with the FAA marking as well. We place individual accountability for membership to follow the rules. If they don't, there are consequences for rule infractions per the by-laws. We didn't see a benefit to p!ssing everyone off creating a police state of inspections.

At the end of the day, the membership had to vote to amend the club by-laws. If there's wasn't buy-in to the change, it would have been voted down. I'm not saying that this is all logical in the least. In fact, I find the entire FAA registration initiative a joke and think it will have little if any impact on curbing irresponsible flying practices. I'm simply sharing our club's decision on how we're managing this mess. It's not a perfect solution but I suppose it's better than nothing.
Borat has said exactly what I was mentioning in the above post . The club must vote to give the specific authority to a club officer to ensure FAA registration compliance .
Old 02-02-2016, 04:31 PM
HoundDog

Man sporty I don't know about U no kidding.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:48 PM
HoundDog

So does the club I fly at here in AJ AZ. They started making us where our AMA card with a current Club sticker while flying. When that became a problem to see if U were current now U must Post your AMA w/ sticker at the starting fence on a designated spot. This is because we have over 250 members and U never know all and this proves u are current and not a free loader. Our club is very expensive to run. Besides it's the county park system we rent from and if someone with out insurance causes an incident or accident we could loose our field. To Night at the club meeting I'll recommend that the club require that the FAA number be displayed and on/in any thing we or a guest fly. Why just for peace of mind and took take no chances with the FAA and the county Park system.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:54 PM
HoundDog

I was never ramp checked, but I was only flying full scale for about 7 years almost a thousand hours. But as I said the ramp checks are from the FAA not the FBO. For the club to check would be like the FBO asking for your registration papers
Ask your Land Lord if it makes a difference that U are breaking federal law. W have two land lords the One that owns th north part of the airport and our access point is a full scale pilot and never defies the faa or Regs. I would think that if U are breaking laws the AMA has a right to negate your Insurance. Just saying.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:03 PM
HoundDog

I would possibly sue them in small claims court. After asking why they are sticking their nose into my business. Actually not sure that would be the right court. Small claims would need proof of monetary damages.
Sport I'm Calling U an IDIOT .... U and the rest are telling people to break federal law ... Look what happened in the north west. If we/u F with the FAA U better bend over and take it like a man. The congress has designated the FAA to protect the NSA and Saftey is what will get any court decision thrown out. Safety Trumps all. All I'm saying if we mess with the FAA it will get much worse than putting a simple peice of paper on/in your DRONE. i.e. any R/C Device that flys in the NAS.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for a few laughs, folks in your club ought to get a copy of their AMA card and FAA registration number tattooed on their BUTTS !!

Then show that to whom ever asks for their information ! This hobby is going down the tubes anyways ................
Old 02-02-2016, 08:11 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

I've decided that when I do gve in and register, I'm having my number tattooed on my middle finger.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 PM
F-16 viperman

I don't post often but, I'm seriously considering throwing in the towel. Not being a baby, just being realistic. To answer one poster's question, one thing that bothers Me about putting My number on My aircraft for everyone to see, or letting everyone see my card reg. number is, what is to stop someone from assuming My number? If someone causes an incident with My number found, Who's door is going to get knocked on? It's like being able to take the reg.number off of someone's gun, put it on Your's, and go do harm with it, and let let the poor schmuck You stole the number from take the fall. Or at the very least, have a very unpleasant visit from law enforcement. This whole thing was very hastily and unprofessionally set up from the get go, and I can see this happening. The self appointed brainiacs that made up the task force simply did'nt bother to think this stuff through and, I have too much to lose to subject Myself to Their potential subjective judgement. There are several other points I can mention that I have already made on other forums here. I try not to troll to much but please consider My point!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Herman Munster.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2144958  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.