AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

4 billion sold?

Old 02-01-2016, 06:55 PM
mongo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 4 billion sold?

http://www.multirotorforums.com/thre...st-year.30656/

i make no claims to the accuracy of what the linked thread talks. not even pretending to know if they reference world market, or north american.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Sport_Pilot

LOL I was ridiculed when I estimated that at least 3 billion were sold last year!
Old 02-02-2016, 02:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Obviously it's hard to validate any number...but I would say both numbers are absolutely impossible. And no way dji has sold a billion either. I doubt total sales of ALL multi rotors together even approach 10 million year to date.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:43 PM
init4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
LOL I was ridiculed when I estimated that at least 3 billion were sold last year!
So some unknown character on a chat forum named "VioletWolf" says he "heard on the radio" that 4 billion were sold , but what the guy missed was they were actually talking McDonalds burgers instead of drones !

In other words , Sport , that guy's 4 billion is about as believable as your 3 million figure was , since EVERYTHING on the internet is 100% true .

Here's my new internet rumor ;

"Sport has crashed a hundred drones since 1989"

And since it's on the internet , well , you know ....

Last edited by init4fun; 02-02-2016 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:27 PM
combatpigg

Isn't the world's population 6 billion...?
I get out every day, every weekend and have yet to see ANY multi-rotor planes / drones being flown anywhere.
If there really are 100s of millions of them out there, ALL the owners must be hiding them when they see me driving towards their parks and vacant lots.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
So some unknown character on a chat forum named "VioletWolf" says he "heard on the radio" that 4 billion were sold , but what the guy missed was they were actually talking McDonalds burgers instead of drones !

In other words , Sport , that guy's 4 billion is about as believable as your 3 million figure was , since EVERYTHING on the internet is 100% true .

Here's my new internet rumor ;

"Sport has crashed a hundred drones since 1989"

And since it's on the internet , well , you know ....
Actually my estimate was 3 million. And I suspect he meant to say 4 million not billion. But IMO both are possible. I believe DJI sales numbers show about a million sold. Here is a more educated estimate based on reported sales. Comes to about 2 million for 2015. However this does not include toys which I included.

http://dronelife.com/2015/04/16/dron...nture-a-guess/
Old 02-03-2016, 05:34 AM
init4fun

Hey , aren't you the guy whose crashed 100 drones ?

I read it on the internet somewhere , so it must be true ....

And yes buddy , if you read my post that you quoted , I did give you credit for exactly that , 3 million , and not billion drones ...... Plus or minus a hundred
Old 02-03-2016, 05:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Quote:
Hey , aren't you the guy whose crashed 100 drones ?

I read it on the internet somewhere , so it must be true ....

And yes buddy , if you read my post that you quoted , I did give you credit for exactly that , 3 million , and not billion drones ...... Plus or minus a hundred

Hey, it's just an estimate. Why so worked up?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:48 AM
init4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
Hey, it's just an estimate. Why so worked up?
Now see , that's one real problem with the typed word on chat forums , not only am I not worked up , I was actually poking a bit of fun at the astronomical numbers and today's laughable culture of "If it's on the net , it's 100% true" . The laughing and tongue sticking smileys were supposed to convey a joking non seriousness element to my posts that you have obviously lost the meaning of if you think I'm worked up . Yes , it IS funny that folks take anything they find on line as being 100% God's law true , and at times I just can't resist poking fun at people who base entire viewpoints on the writings of someone who calls themselves violetwolf . Or even init4fun or sport pilot , for that matter .

Lighten up buddy , and your 3 million drones , with big frickkin laser beams on their heads , will be in the air shortly
Old 02-03-2016, 06:02 AM
init4fun

And now , honestly and with no joking whatsoever ;

If someone told me that there were 3 million DOLLARS worth of sales of hobby grade UAS in the time frame discussed , sure , I'd readily believe that . But 3 million of what the public is calling drones ? 3 million multirotors all capable of carrying an FPV setup ? Which would be exclusive of my traditional fixed wing purchases , since not one "civilian" has ever called my P-51 a drone ? No way ever will I believe 3 million new quads like this were sold . Just like Combatpigg , I too have not once seen a drone (or any RC of any type , for that matter ) being flown anywhere in any of the parks or parking lots I regularly drive past , and in fact the only ones I've seen "in the wild" have been at the club field !

Last edited by init4fun; 02-03-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Sport_Pilot

Quote:
Now see , that's one real problem with the typed word on chat forums , not only am I not worked up , I was actually poking a bit of fun at the astronomical numbers and today's laughable culture of "If it's on the net , it's 100% true" . The laughing and tongue sticking smileys were supposed to convey a joking non seriousness element to my posts that you have obviously lost the meaning of if you think I'm worked up . Yes , it IS funny that folks take anything they find on line as being 100% God's law true , and at times I just can't resist poking fun at people who base entire viewpoints on the writings of someone who calls themselves violetwolf . Or even init4fun or sport pilot , for that matter .

Lighten up buddy , and your 3 million drones , with big frickkin laser beams on their heads , will be in the air shortly
Ok but your humor was a bit smirkey I never intended my estimate not the post to be anything to be taken as exact in fact I myself was joking about the comparison to that and my estimate.

I don't think you will see many drones in the air soon. I suspect less than 1 percent of model airplanes are in the air at one time and I suspect the number is much smaller for drones. Doubt there are more than a few thousand in the air nationwide at any one time.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:21 AM
Sport_Pilot

DJI revenues are in the hundreds of millions. Of which I suspect are mostly if not all so called drones. All or almost all with cameras.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:17 AM
mike1974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
And now , honestly and with no joking whatsoever ;

If someone told me that there were 3 million DOLLARS worth of sales of hobby grade UAS in the time frame discussed , sure , I'd readily believe that . But 3 million of what the public is calling drones ? 3 million multirotors all capable of carrying an FPV setup ? Which would be exclusive of my traditional fixed wing purchases , since not one "civilian" has ever called my P-51 a drone ? No way ever will I believe 3 million new quads like this were sold . Just like Combatpigg , I too have not once seen a drone (or any RC of any type , for that matter ) being flown anywhere in any of the parks or parking lots I regularly drive past , and in fact the only ones I've seen "in the wild" have been at the club field !
I have no idea if the numbers are correct as far as how many have been sold. I can say though, just like init and combat, that I have never seen anyone in my area flying a MR. I only know of one other person who flies a MR and that is one of my friends. These are hobby grade MR's with FPV, not toys.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Of those sold, most have crashed by now. And of the rest 99.9% are stowed at home and not in the air at any one time. So the numbers sold are grossly larger than those in the air at any one time. I doubt the number in the air is more than a few thousand at any instant. BTW some of DJI's sales are for camera's and drone accessories, so you cannot find the average price of their drones and divide it into their sales numbers to find units sold. So their estimate for DJI drones sold is likely smaller then their estimate.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:02 PM
oh44077

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FAA news letter said over 300,000 have registered during the free cost time frame,and more keep coming in. they seemed good about the response. just general info.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:30 PM
Sport_Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh44077 View Post
FAA news letter said over 300,000 have registered during the free cost time frame,and more keep coming in. they seemed good about the response. just general info.
Not sure why, a spit in the bucket. Also not stopping the drone sightings.

Search this Thread