Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA on the Hill!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA on the Hill!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 11:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Apparently it only took 2 months to resolve the DC issue so in essence anything is possible isn't it?

Mike
I thought we were talking about the whole regulation of model airplanes not just that. The topic was their blog and it was about talking with Congress. You know the guy's on the hill?
Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I thought we were talking about the whole regulation of model airplanes not just that. The topic was their blog and it was about talking with Congress. You know the guy's on the hill?
I've been following both the DC shutdown along with the AMA on the hill through the AMA blogs. Since both involve the FAA and regulations they put in place the whole DC thing is relevant. Now just what transpires out of the whole "AMA on the hill" has yet to be seen. Since the FAA has agreed to reopen the fields in DC with restrictions we haven't seen before such as.

"Under the new procedures, hobbyists and recreational unmanned aircraft operators can fly aircraft that weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera) in the area between 15 and 30 miles of Washington, D.C. if the aircraft are registered and marked, and they follow specific operating conditions. The operating conditions require them to fly 400 feet or lower above the ground, stay in the operator's line of sight, only fly in clear conditions, and avoid other aircraft."

I'm not to sure this is not going to impact all of us down the road.

MIke
Old 02-10-2016, 04:45 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I've been following both the DC shutdown along with the AMA on the hill through the AMA blogs. Since both involve the FAA and regulations they put in place the whole DC thing is relevant. Now just what transpires out of the whole "AMA on the hill" has yet to be seen. Since the FAA has agreed to reopen the fields in DC with restrictions we haven't seen before such as.

"Under the new procedures, hobbyists and recreational unmanned aircraft operators can fly aircraft that weigh less than 55 lbs. (including any attachments such as a camera) in the area between 15 and 30 miles of Washington, D.C. if the aircraft are registered and marked, and they follow specific operating conditions. The operating conditions require them to fly 400 feet or lower above the ground, stay in the operator's line of sight, only fly in clear conditions, and avoid other aircraft."

I'm not to sure this is not going to impact all of us down the road.

MIke
LoL....what exactly are you looking for in terms of success? Ballon releases? Fireworks and dancing cheerleaders? You bend over backwards to make the AMA out to be doing nothing despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. They have succeeded in securing multiple concessions and agreements, and you know that from reading that here and on the AMA blogs...but not a peep out of you about that. Just more of the same AMA=Bad. And now more talk about the future and how it may not be so great for us.

Is the glass ever half...or even a quarter filled?
Old 02-10-2016, 05:01 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Is the glass ever half...or even a quarter filled?
Really can't be to sure anymore can we? All the cards haven't been played have they? I've read the blogs just were are all these"They have succeeded in securing multiple concessions and agreements, and you know that from reading that here and on the AMA blogs..." I see a lot of "we can't divulge that" and we can't discuss that right now". I see a lot of "were close too' stuff also.
Just were have I posted AMA=BAD?
Since when is asking question a bad thing?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-10-2016 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

No, we can never be sure. I guess that's why we can say oh lord the end is near, it's just around the corner, bad things are about to happen, it's all going to change and it's bad bad bad. And then when it doesn't come to be, we can still worry about what if.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:07 AM
rcmiket

No, we can never be sure. I guess that's why we can say oh lord the end is near, it's just around the corner, bad things are about to happen, it's all going to change and it's bad bad bad. And then when it doesn't come to be, we can still worry about what if.
Never said any of that, did I? Please stop putting words in my mouth. I just pointed out a few things I noticed that concern me nothing more. As usual theses concerns set you off , gee sorry but if they bother you that much don't read them..

Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 06:07 AM
franklin_m

"Chad Budreau February 3, 2016 at 12:55

While we do have many allies on the Hill there are some who are oppose to our efforts. Our intent is not to hide details from our members, we just have to be careful as to what we expose. As this progresses and modifications are made the FAA Modernization and Reform Act we can share more details. "
Why is the AMA so scared of transparency?

If they're as altruistic as they say, then why worry? If there are some on the hill who oppose AMA's efforts, is withholding information going to earn good will? Or earn ill will? Even if they get a short term win, what happens next time? Whatever they're choosing not to "expose," other lawmakers and staffs will find out eventually, then how will AMA look?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by franklin_m

If they're as altruistic as they say, then why worry? If there are some on the hill who oppose AMA's efforts, is withholding information going to earn good will? Or earn ill will? Even if they get a short term win, what happens next time? Whatever they're choosing not to "expose," other lawmakers and staffs will find out eventually, then how will AMA look?
They held back information on the A bomb, and yes Japan found out about it eventually.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

I've been following both the DC shutdown along with the AMA on the hill through the AMA blogs. Since both involve the FAA and regulations they put in place the whole DC thing is relevant.
The AMA blog was about discussions with Congress. The DC shutdown was done through negotiations with the FAA and Homeland Security. So no it is not relevant. At least not to the point you made. And on the latter most or at least a lot of the fields were restricted to 400 feet by being near an airport. So although I hate an overall 400 foot restriction I see this as a small concession in this case.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:25 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m

To some the AMA will always look bad, no matter what they do. At least here in these threads.

Of course the question presumes that are/were on some campaign to hide something. Far from the truth of course, but continues to fit the AMA=BAD narrative. Their goals and objectives have been made clear repeatedly, but of course because every talking point or mitigating/leverage factors were not laid out, they are hiding something or afraid. Other than two or three people harping on the same talking points about wanting every last bit of intelligence, it seems to be a non issue. A tempest in a teapot.

Look at the results. Overall...what are they? Did we get some of the things we want. What did we have to give up. Does the hobby continue forward as before for all intents and purposes?

No..our so called rights have not been trampled on, nor has the ability for 99.99% of us to keep on flying as we did before.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:31 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So no it is not relevant..
Since you say so it must be true.

Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 04:41 PM
porcia83
Banned

Never said any of that, did I? Please stop putting words in my mouth. I just pointed out a few things I noticed that concern me nothing more. As usual theses concerns set you off , gee sorry but if they bother you that much don't read them..

Mike
First, your not the only ones basically saying that, there is at least one or two others as well, maybe three. But seriously....your comments in general are mostly negative in nature, almost always projecting the bad that has happened (usually associated with the AMA), continues to happen (again, AMA), and what might happen in the future to the hobby, (AMA and FAA). At least that's my interpretation.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:42 PM
porcia83
Banned

Since you say so it must be true.

Mike
Where have I heard that before.....
Old 02-10-2016, 06:20 PM
rcmiket

First, your not the only ones basically saying that, there is at least one or two others as well, maybe three. But seriously....your comments in general are mostly negative in nature, almost always projecting the bad that has happened (usually associated with the AMA), continues to happen (again, AMA), and what might happen in the future to the hobby, (AMA and FAA). At least that's my interpretation.
You seem to think it's negative, then you spin it and then you spin it some more. Then you post it like I said something I didn't. I've posted nothing that was not the truth, it's really that simple. Well it's that simple to some anyway.

Mike
Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

You seem to think it's negative, then you spin it and then you spin it some more. Then you post it like I said something I didn't. I've posted nothing that was not the truth, it's really that simple. Well it's that simple to some anyway.

Mike
I stand corrected, the overwhelming amount of your posts regarding the FAA, and the AMA and what's in store for the hobby forward, optimistic, balanced, and positive in nature. Better?
Old 02-11-2016, 04:01 AM
rcmiket

I stand corrected, the overwhelming amount of your posts regarding the FAA, and the AMA and what's in store for the hobby forward, optimistic, balanced, and positive in nature. Better?
Thanks. I figured you would see the light sooner or later.

Mike
Old 02-11-2016, 06:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks. I figured you would see the light sooner or later.

Mike