Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Reauthorization 2016 AIRR - 2016

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Reauthorization 2016 AIRR - 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
As usual, I have no idea what you think you are trying to say.
Silent-AV8R;
Who U Talk'n to ?... PLZ give us all a clue ... RCU Doesn't automaticlyprovide the thread to which U refer ... U should really try this
Just so people understand you really helps.

Dog Gone
Old 02-05-2016, 08:02 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
New FAA Reauthorization bill. Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization Act of 2016 - AIRR-2016

Section 336 is gone, replaced by Chapter 45 Section 45507.

Starts on page 215:

http://transportation.house.gov/uplo...r_act_text.pdf
I just read pages 215 and 216 and it sure looks to me like we are going to get our model aircraft exemption from the drone regulations if this version of the bill passes . I see no objectionable language such as a hard 400 foot limit or anything else addressing us except that we get to continue doing what we have done all along , follow the AMA safety code and enjoy our model aircraft while the rest of the lawmaking deals with the beyond line of sight drones .
Old 02-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
I just read pages 215 and 216 and it sure looks to me like we are going to get our model aircraft exemption from the drone regulations if this version of the bill passes . I see no objectionable language such as a hard 400 foot limit or anything else addressing us except that we get to continue doing what we have done all along , follow the AMA safety code and enjoy our model aircraft while the rest of the lawmaking deals with the beyond line of sight drones .
I appreciate seeing your thoughts, init .... That's the same conclusion I drew. It would be nice to be right...
Old 02-05-2016, 08:10 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
I appreciate seeing your thoughts, init .... That's the same conclusion I drew. It would be nice to be right...
If that's so than why the AMA placing this in that email yesterday?

"
However, there are still some changes to the bill that could further strengthen and clarify the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. In the weeks ahead, we will be working closely with Chairman Shuster and the Committee on our suggested improvements. "

Seems like to the AMA there is a issue there. I'm no lawyer or claim to be.

Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 08:23 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by rcmiket

"
However, there are still some changes to the bill that could further strengthen and clarify the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. In the weeks ahead, we will be working closely with Chairman Shuster and the Committee on our suggested improvements. "

Mike
Doesn't sound like a problem sounds more like good news sure hope so. May be some one has come to their senses and realized the AMA flyer is not the Problem .. What we have is a FAILURE to COMMUNICATE on the FAA's part to make sure every single person associated and the public too that there is a time Place and proper way to fly R/C TOYs and it;s not in congested area. Even Full Scale are not permitted over Populated areas,

Sic'em there Doggy! Fly Low Blast High.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Bob Pastorello

"

Mike
MY OPINION FOLLOWS - My belief is that the AMA seeks/desires/needs/wants the FEDERAL LAW to require membership by anyone in any aspect of radio controlled aviation. I'm not a lawyer, don't pretend to be, and am just an old, crotchety curmudgeon who has learned many personal lessons about the "why" of business influences (or attempts) in governmental regulations and law.

Just sharing my opinion here, fellers. Don't nobody get their panties all in a wad....
Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 AM
rcmiket

MY OPINION FOLLOWS - My belief is that the AMA seeks/desires/needs/wants the FEDERAL LAW to require membership by anyone in any aspect of radio controlled aviation. I'm not a lawyer, don't pretend to be, and am just an old, crotchety curmudgeon who has learned many personal lessons about the "why" of business influences (or attempts) in governmental regulations and law.

Just sharing my opinion here, fellers. Don't nobody get their panties all in a wad....
I don't think the AMA carries enough weight to get anything even close to mandated membership to fly very far. They can't even get the feds to use the AMA as a example of a CBO.
I just want to fly my toy airplanes with the less amount of friction as possible and seems like that's getting more and more difficult.

Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 09:00 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

No worries my Friend , I would never blast a man for stating what he believes he's seeing .

I will second your thought that our organization is attempting to force membership in order to get the CBO exemption , and one needs to look no further than the language regarding models over 55 pounds . As written now , in order to be legal according to the FAA , an over 55 pounder must be AMA certified . And the AMA won't certify a non members aircraft .So for now , anything over 55 pounds MUST be owned by an AMA member in order to get the FAA's approval to be allowed to fly . At what point will it become mandatory for ALL models to be flown by CBO members only ?

My own personal opinion is that one most certainly CAN follow the best practices as outlined in our safety code without being forced to be a member !

I don't ever want our organization to become one of forced membership in order to fly a model airplane , that's not my idea of the right way to grow anything , be it a model aircraft club or any other hobby based organization ! You want to be a part of us ? You want to promote model aviation by your own free will and choice ? GREAT ! Glad to have you as a member . But to be forced into membership ? Nope , don't need people being forced , since force ALWAYS breeds resentment . I'm here cause I WANT to be , not because it's written that I HAVE to be .
Old 02-05-2016, 09:02 AM
HoundDog

From the NEW and Improved IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES bill on aviation moderation.

(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport airport "should" establish a mutually agreed
The word SHOULD not "MUST" ...
See Below FAA Reference to :Must and Must Not"

the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation

Doesn't mean U need Permission ONLY that U SHOULD inform them of Prior Operation

What I am Saying according to the FAA Document on "MUST MUST NOT" i sen U unless they changed the word Should to Must it is only a suggestion not law.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives...les/mandatory/
[TABLE="class: yiv0854150695link-enhancr-element, width: 450"]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5, colspan: 8"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5"][/TD]
[TD="class: yiv0854150695link-enhancr-image-wrap yiv0854150695enhancr-image-crop"]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #E5E5E5"][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 2"][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="width: 1, bgcolor: #E5E5E5"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2"]What's the only word that means mandatory? Here's what l...We call "must" and "must not" words of obligation. "Must" is the only word that imposes a legal obligation on your readers to tell them something is mandatory.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]View on www.faa.gov[/TD]
[TD]
Preview by Yahoo
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Slc'em there HD
Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 AM
Bob Pastorello

I don't think the AMA carries enough weight to get anything even close to mandated membership to fly very far. They can't even get the feds to use the AMA as a example of a CBO.
I just want to fly my toy airplanes with the less amount of friction as possible and seems like that's getting more and more difficult.

Mike
+1
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 AM
HoundDog

No worries my Friend , I would never blast a man for stating what he believes he's seeing .

I will second your thought that our organization is attempting to force membership in order to get the CBO exemption , and one needs to look no further than the language regarding models over 55 pounds . As written now , in order to be legal according to the FAA , an over 55 pounder must be AMA certified . And the AMA won't certify a non members aircraft .So for now , anything over 55 pounds MUST be owned by an AMA member in order to get the FAA's approval to be allowed to fly . At what point will it become mandatory for ALL models to be flown by CBO members only ?
How many R/C TOYs are Owned and Flown in the USA by non AMA members ... U'll Have to show some at least.
My own personal opinion is that one most certainly CAN follow the best practices as outlined in our safety code without being forced to be a member !

I don't ever want our organization to become one of forced membership in order to fly a model airplane , that's not my idea of the right way to grow anything , be it a model aircraft club or any other hobby based organization ! You want to be a part of us ? You want to promote model aviation by your own free will and choice ? GREAT ! Glad to have you as a member . But to be forced into membership ? Nope , don't need people being forced , since force ALWAYS breeds resentment . I'm here cause I WANT to be , not because it's written that I HAVE to be .
+1

I now agree if it were mandatory every time some IDIOT commits something stupid with a DRONE the AMA will be blamed if he has to be an AMA member. Istill they Inorder to fly not just register but take knowledge test to receive their FAA number.
see above
Old 02-05-2016, 09:21 AM
HoundDog

Mike

+1
+ one more red for emphasis. +++++++
Get it got it good.

This is faster
But this has a bigger BOOM!
WARNING Dog on the Loose.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
What I found interesting is that the definition of a CBO is expanded to include, among others, that one "...provides assistance and support in the development and operation of locally designated model aircraft flying sites." (pg 217 line 21 through 218 line 15).

Now, given that AMA tells us they are already recognized as a CBO (per Chad B.), why would they want this added? Perhaps to make it more difficult on competitors to compete for membership dollars?
Absolutely! Membership dollars are worth billions!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:00 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I don't think the AMA carries enough weight to get anything even close to mandated membership to fly very far. Actually I'm glad about that. I don't want the govt to tell people they have to belong to the AMA or any group in order to fly. Talk about overstepping boundries.

They can't even get the feds to use the AMA as a example of a CBO. Not for lack of trying....they can't force the FAA to recognize them. Any thoughts on what the AMA should do different to force the FAA to recognize them as a CBO?

I just want to fly my toy airplanes with the less amount of friction as possible and seems like that's getting more and more difficult. What is more and more difficult. We registered...and that's it. Nothing else has changed. I get that it's annoying that we had to do that, but is that really a game changer?

Mike
Above in red.

Last edited by porcia83; 02-05-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:23 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
Above in red.
I hate red.
Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 01:30 PM
Bob Pastorello

Above in red.
wh th phu ????
"force the FAA to recognize AMA as a CBO" ?????????????
Old 02-05-2016, 02:09 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I hate red.
Mike
Check back tomorrow, maybe it will be blue.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

I hate red.
Mike
Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Check back tomorrow, maybe it will be blue.
No lines, no waiting...presto chango. The more I looked at it in red...the more I wanted blue! It reads better and makes far more sense now.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

wh th phu ????
"force the FAA to recognize AMA as a CBO" ?????????????

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	2145467  
Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Absolutely! Membership dollars are worth billions!
I vote for that. MANDATORY Insurance through the AMA or any other Insurance Minimum 2 million to fly any R/C TOYs Just think if the AMA had over 1 million members We'ed have lass than 1/4 the effective strength the NRA has.
4,3,2,1, LAUNCH
Dog's away.

Last edited by HoundDog; 02-05-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:36 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I was aware of the GREATER than 55 lbs....my post is in reference to aircraft BELOW 55 lbs. Sorry I didn't clarify that in my post.
bob,
if it is turbine powered it has to be AMA wavered, no matter the weight.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:14 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike
I wouldn't say the FAA doesn't recognize the AMA as a CBO.

See the bottom of page 12:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_a..._spec_rule.pdf
Old 02-05-2016, 08:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot

Shh...don't ruin the narrative. If there isn't an official proclamation with a plaque and a letter from the FAA, Congress, and the President saying the AMA is a CBO and the only one the FAA will recognize it doesn't count.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:49 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot

"or example, would include groups such as the Academy of Model Aeronautics and others that meet the statutory definition"

As a example, I guess that's something.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-06-2016 at 04:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:52 AM
rcmiket

Shh...don't ruin the narrative. If there isn't an official proclamation with a plaque and a letter from the FAA, Congress, and the President saying the AMA is a CBO and the only one the FAA will recognize it doesn't count.
That would seal the deal wouldn't it? Also ending all dissuasion on the matter but that is not what we have here is it?

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.