Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Reauthorization 2016 AIRR - 2016

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Reauthorization 2016 AIRR - 2016

Old 02-14-2016, 10:11 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Companies are in generally more trustworthy than the government. But still you want the government to run everything,
I said those words where? Come on now.....
Old 02-14-2016, 11:19 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ATC will have no say in GA. They only direct traffic. How they get paid may hurt, but we should be able to avoid that.
If you believe that, I have a bridge for sale, cheap.
Old 02-14-2016, 01:18 PM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
There was never any mention of 400 foot anything in Section 336 of P.L. 112-95. Nor is it in the proposed Part 101.41 governing model aircraft operations. The one and only place 400 feet is officially mentioned is in AC 91-57A, where it is referred to as a "best practice". The 400 foot guideline in the registration process carries no regulatory or legal weight.
Agreed. I don't understand why so many people think this is law.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:10 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Companies are in generally more trustworthy than the government. But still you want the government to run everything,
Companies are only trust worthy because of the rules laws and restrictions the Government Places on them ... If they are government contractors they are expected to lie cheat and steel, because most of the money stays here to support the economy, When's the lsat time anything in this country concerned with defence or any government contract come in on time Under budget or at least less than 10 times the original quote. Never and U never will.

Read an article on Yahoo news the other day from the guy that trned Madoff in for his billions Ponzi scheme. He says there 3 Ponzi schemes that investors are being stolen from right now and one is many times greater than Madoff did. Now that's how well U can trust anyone in this country. Now U want to talk of drug companies being honest?

I'm happy to see there still enough dummies that think the government and any modern company can be trusted where money Profit and the public are involved. It's all BS. Remember Only the Lord can Giveth but the Lord and the Government can Taketh It away.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Companies are only trust worthy because of the rules laws and restrictions the Government Places on them ... If they are government contractors they are expected to lie cheat and steel, because most of the money stays here to support the economy, When's the lsat time anything in this country concerned with defence or any government contract come in on time Under budget or at least less than 10 times the original quote. Never and U never will.

Read an article on Yahoo news the other day from the guy that trned Madoff in for his billions Ponzi scheme. He says there 3 Ponzi schemes that investors are being stolen from right now and one is many times greater than Madoff did. Now that's how well U can trust anyone in this country. Now U want to talk of drug companies being honest?

I'm happy to see there still enough dummies that think the government and any modern company can be trusted where money Profit and the public are involved. It's all BS. Remember Only the Lord can Giveth but the Lord and the Government can Taketh It away.

+ 1
Old 02-17-2016, 05:48 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I've always understood folks in these positions to be "acting as agents of" the organization which empowers them to perform those roles. There's nothing that prevents the AMA from empowering these agents to perform said inspections as part of the certification program administered by the CBO. Allowing the aircraft to fly at an AMA field is a completely separate issue.

Recommend we let our legislators know that this language is already being used to require membership, and there's nothing that prevents a CBO from changing their opinion of what it means to comply with "programming" and perhaps decide that to comply you need to be a member.
Hi Franklin ,

I believe the FAA has taken control of over 55 pound aircraft away from the AMA already , and the AMA hasn't noticed or mentioned it yet . The way I read the FAA registration process we can register ourselves to fly 1/2 pound to 55 pound UAS using the on line system , but over 55 pounds have to use the mail in system as used by full scale manned aircraft to get an actual "N" number for that one specific large model aircraft . Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a mandatory airworthiness inspection required to be performed by an FAA authorized IA before "N" numbers are assigned to any aircraft ? Sure , the AMA can "certify" any over 55 pound craft so as to keep the AMA insurance in effect , but the craft isn't legal to fly till the "N" numbers are granted by the FAA , and I know of no one yet who has gone through the process of registering something over 55 pounds , to know if an FAA inspection is required or not .
Old 02-17-2016, 06:00 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Franklin ,

I believe the FAA has taken control of over 55 pound aircraft away from the AMA already , and the AMA hasn't noticed or mentioned it yet . The way I read the FAA registration process we can register ourselves to fly 1/2 pound to 55 pound UAS using the on line system , but over 55 pounds have to use the mail in system as used by full scale manned aircraft to get an actual "N" number for that one specific large model aircraft . Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a mandatory airworthiness inspection required to be performed by an FAA authorized IA before "N" numbers are assigned to any aircraft ? Sure , the AMA can "certify" any over 55 pound craft so as to keep the AMA insurance in effect , but the craft isn't legal to fly till the "N" numbers are granted by the FAA , and I know of no one yet who has gone through the process of registering something over 55 pounds , to know if an FAA inspection is required or not .
Just another "grey" area where not supposed notice.

Mike
Old 02-17-2016, 06:27 AM
Sport_Pilot

Hi Franklin ,

That may be. But others have posted that they have registered on paper for their over 55 pound models. I assumed they received their number. but maybe not.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:03 AM
TimJ

The AMA is very aware of the 55lb issue and is currently working for a resolution of this problem.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:55 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Franklin ,

I think this is meant for non AMA members that may have a craft over 55 pounds most likely most will be commercial operators.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:06 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I think EVERY single thing the AMA is doing, and has done, with the AMA is simply a ruse to expand their revenue base, grow membership, and attempt to legislate same, thus "insuring" future income....what could be a better scheme for a declining organization than to have Federal law MANDATE membership?????

I pray the Congress is smart enough to see through it, and with the FAA support, simply mandate "programming". Let the states mandate insurance coverage like they do automobile insurance if it's REALLY such a big deal.

Seems like with such a stellar safety record as the AMA members *DO* have, expanding insurance requirement(s) becomes even MORE ludicrous. The risk/loss industry bases insurance prevention costs against actual losses, and doesn't require other than loss-experience risk-based prevention schemes.

What makes the AMA better/different????????????
Old 02-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
I think EVERY single thing the AMA is doing, and has done, with the AMA is simply a ruse to expand their revenue base, grow membership, and attempt to legislate same, thus "insuring" future income....what could be a better scheme for a declining organization than to have Federal law MANDATE membership?????

I pray the Congress is smart enough to see through it, and with the FAA support, simply mandate "programming". Let the states mandate insurance coverage like they do automobile insurance if it's REALLY such a big deal.

Seems like with such a stellar safety record as the AMA members *DO* have, expanding insurance requirement(s) becomes even MORE ludicrous. The risk/loss industry bases insurance prevention costs against actual losses, and doesn't require other than loss-experience risk-based prevention schemes.

If you don't need the AMA you can terminate your membership at any time.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM
Bob Pastorello

If you don't like what I write, you don't have to respond, either.

The money grubbing minions of evil doers who put the money before all other things will always respond when someone writes something that hits the money grab nerve.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM
TimJ

You say that, except that really isn't the truth. The truth of the matter is, folks running the AMA are modelers just like you and me. They care about the hobby and want it to be here for the next generation. This conspiracy notion that the AMA is after locked in members is simply incorrect.

Also, the AMA isn't just "an insurance company" as some call it. They are our CBO and one voice for our community. The AMA over the years has simply done good work to help keep model aviation alive. Without the AMA as our voice, none of us would be allowed to fly model aircraft today or at least greatly restricted.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

The money grubbing minions of evil doers who put the money before all other things will always respond when someone writes something that hits the money grab nerve.
Bob , while I too believe all the "CBO" language that originated with the AMA was designed to force membership , I'm not quite ready to go to the length of calling it "money grubbing" . ANY organization has to grow in order to be seen as viable and the AMA is no different . I do not ascribe evil intentions to the actions of the EC , I see it instead as an organization grappling to establish continued relevance in a quickly changing airborne landscape . These aren't "bad people" or "money grubbers" , they are people who are trying to grow our organization with the avenues that are available to them . It is my opinion that the EC is making a mistake in attempting to use the CBO provision to require membership but then I was never one to demonize anyone for holding a different view , so I don't see the evil in it , more a difference of good policy VS bad policy rather than something nefarious cooked up by someone the likes of Bernie Madoff* . I do not believe for one second that the FAA or any other federal entity , who are the ones calling the shots , are ever going to allow a "civilian" organization like our AMA to have complete , non federally regulated control over ANY segments of UAS operations , at least untill the mechanism has been developed whereby the AMA collects the registration money and passes it on to the federal coffers , the AMA then being an FAA "subcontractor" in the way the federal govt. has contracted out many services in recent years .

* Madoff * ....... Just typing the name makes me wonder , who would give money to a dude who calls himself a "broker" (as in , gonna leave ya broke) whose name sounds like "made off" , as in "made off with ALL the ca$h" !?!?!?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Show us the money grab?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 PM
Bob Pastorello

"The opinions expressed herein represent only those of the individual authors. Since opinions are the result of individual conceptualization of abstract issues, they need neither be evidence-based nor factual."
Old 02-17-2016, 12:51 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"The opinions expressed herein represent only those of the individual authors. Since opinions are the result of individual conceptualization of abstract issues, they need neither be evidence-based nor factual."
+1, but it is painfully obvious that Crispy is already aware of this....just read his posts!

Astro
Old 02-17-2016, 01:08 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by porcia83
You are absolutely correct. For me it boils down to laziness, mixed with an inability to have a vision and work hard to make it come to life.
WAIT.....let me get this straight......those that don't vote are not too lazy to vote (they just happen to be happy with the status quo) but those that don't fill out paperwork are too lazy? MAYBE they are just content with the status quo as well?
It's a shame really, if they put 10% of the effort they expend in vilifying the AMA to with or for the AMA, I bet it would be an even better organization.
Funny! I recall a recent group of folks that drafted a letter to the AMA expressing their opinions and concerns about the state of the hobby and they were vilified (by YOU) for not doing it right!!!!
it would seem natural that another organization would sprout up and compete with them. The SFA was able to do it once, why isn't another organization doing it? Right, because at the end of the day there is no real need for it.
Ummmm....I don't know.......laziness perhaps?

Astro
Old 02-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Old 02-17-2016, 01:12 PM
astrohog

Originally Posted by porcia83
Right. They would never let profits get in the way of safety.....because companies don't do that right? They don't lie or cheat or hide facts to maximize profits at all. No auto company has ever had a recall for say, lying about emission controls, or airbags, or the safety of the gas tanks. No drug companies have ever put products on the market that they new had significant side effects that weren't disclosed, or mortgage companies that lied about the quality/health of their loan packages.....etc etc etc. The list is literally endless, and encompasses every type of company out there. Greed rules.

Privatization isn't a panacea, it's just another possible alternative.
And NONE of things could EVER happen at a not-for-profit or Government organization, could they? LOL!!!!

Astro
Old 02-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by astrohog
+1, but it is painfully obvious that Crispy is already aware of this....just read his posts!

Astro
Yeah Astro's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I hear 727?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Bob Pastorello

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!
Now that right there is FUNNY!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:19 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by TimJ
You say that, except that really isn't the truth. The truth of the matter is, folks running the AMA are modelers just like you and me. They care about the hobby and want it to be here for the next generation. This conspiracy notion that the AMA is after locked in members is simply incorrect.

Also, the AMA isn't just "an insurance company" as some call it. They are our CBO and one voice for our community. The AMA over the years has simply done good work to help keep model aviation alive. Without the AMA as our voice, none of us would be allowed to fly model aircraft today or at least greatly restricted.
While it's true that they're modelers, you cannot ignore the fact that they're officials in an organization that has seen its membership revenue decline almost 20% over the period 2007-2013. That provides powerful motive to use anything at their disposal, including gray area in law, to drive membership.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
While it's true that they're modelers, you cannot ignore the fact that they're officials in an organization that has seen its membership revenue decline almost 20% over the period 2007-2013. That provides powerful motive to use anything at their disposal, including gray area in law, to drive membership.
The AMA donates tens of millions to Super PACs so it's really no surprise they're getting everything they want. I heard a rumor they might even take over the NRA. Maybe they'll go after the NFL next. Yeah, that's it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.