Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Unregistered drones in the news.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Unregistered drones in the news.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 05:17 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mike1974
Phew!!!! Thank goodness the FAA implemented this whole registration process so that no one will endanger full scale aircraft.......................................... ...........................................oh wait.
mike1974; & every one posting to all these threads on what FAA does and doesn't have the right to do. Be careful of what U say ask or imply. The FAA will Implement much more restrictions, if people refuse or say they won't register, There are over a million people Flying some Sort of R/C TOY that requires the Pilot to be Registered with the FAA. If Incidents between DRONES and FULL SCALE keep happening the FAA will stop ALL types of R/C Toy flying including those flown exclusively at registered AMA sites under the asposus of the a CBO. Was this individual an AMA member?

That being said it time for all of us to fight for out share of the NAS i.e. a prohibited area of 1/4 to 1/3 mile radius to 1500' around ALL AMA and any registered R/C Flying area. This is not too much of us to ask. It is our Right Not Privilege if the FAA is going to make R/C Toy's subject to the FAR and treated as full scale aircraft.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:06 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://abc7ny.com/news/nj-man-arrest...lding/1187759/

Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 05:20 AM
philakapd

Originally Posted by rcmiket
He was probably arrested for not identifying his FAA registration number in a conspicuous area upon his aircraft. I'm certain it has nothing to do with flying within New York City, at 8:00 P.M.,40 stories high, into the Empire State Building.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:21 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

In addition to a remarkable lack of common sense displayed by doing what he did..he then goes on to Tweet about it as well. He probably wasn't expecting the responses he got.

He describes himself as follows:

The Kentuckians of NY president, NYC UK Alumni president, philanthropist, bioengineer, wildcard.

He can now add Criminal to the list. I hope his fine is significant and painful.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:31 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by philakapd
He was probably arrested for not identifying his FAA registration number in a conspicuous area upon his aircraft. I'm certain it has nothing to do with flying within New York City, at 8:00 P.M.,40 stories high, into the Empire State Building.
I thought he was arrested because he was a moron without a once of common sense. This kinda carp will continue and that is why were screwed. The public links us the law abiding R/C'er to this idiot.

Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

I thought he was arrested because he was a moron without a once of common sense. This kinda carp will continue and that is why were screwed. The public links us the law abiding R/C'er to this idiot.

Mike
No they don't.......
Old 02-05-2016, 06:19 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Location, location, location. His choice was not a wise one.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:51 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
No they don't.......
Really? You don't get out much do you?
One question.
If they don't than WHY were we ( members of a CBO that obey the rules and have for the last 80 years) FROCED to register?

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-05-2016 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 02-05-2016, 07:41 AM
HoundDog

Dog 1 away Launching Dog 2.
The guy should be sited just the same as if he ran over an old lady with his car on the 49 the floor and knocked her to the 39 floor. OH I thought it was the empire state buildings parking structor sorry LOL Didn't Kill anyone Like the B-25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CodLDGhTe0k
Old 02-05-2016, 07:48 AM
HoundDog

Mike

Originally Posted by mike1974
Location, location, location. His choice was not a wise one.
Did they Get his FAA Number? How about his AMA info?
Wasn't a responsible member of the only CBO, the AMA Was he?
At least it wasn't a "HD"
That took him out. He did it him self.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:52 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Mike

Did they Get his FAA Number? How about his AMA info?
Wasn't a responsible member of the only CBO, the AMA Was he?
At least it wasn't a "HD"
That took him out. He did it him self.
He's "part of the problem" and why were losing the battle.

Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 08:05 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by HoundDog

Mike

Mike
Absolutely he's the PROBLEM ... and there's a million More just like him. That's why we have to fight for OUR RIGHT to our share of the NAS .. just .2 SQ Miles per AMA or any Registered R/C Toy flying area. If we don't FIGHT for OUR RIGHTS to our "FAIR SHARE" of the NAS We will Loose it all.
Target locked in, Launch'em
Dogs away!
Old 02-05-2016, 09:28 AM
FALCONSNEST

This occurred in my local area, and, according to a friend of mine who actually saw the news report, this idiot claimed that he was there first and therefore believed that he had the right of way over the LE helicopter. Maybe the Fly Before You Know program would help this guy, or maybe he is beyond any help at all. It's a shame this didn't happen until after the registration deadline because then he could be made an example of.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:38 AM
f16man

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Never heard of an Eagle One helicopter. When I goggled Eagle One I got a drone service called Eagle One so I figure the reporter got it confused. Does Kalifornia call their police heli's Eagle One? Maybe they should call it the Big Red One. Or Red Claw. Eagle One is just not right for Kalifornia.
Wow man you'r harshing my mellow spelling my state wrong While you are at it why don't all you other states send us some more of people that can't make it in your state for a free ride in ours...... TRUTH
Old 02-05-2016, 10:41 AM
FALCONSNEST

Eagle One is the Fresno County Sherriff's helicopter squadron, they have done a lot to bust the cartel weed growers in the foothill area that I live in . . .
Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by f16man
Wow man you'r harshing my mellow spelling my state wrong While you are at it why don't all you other states send us some more of people that can't make it in your state for a free ride in ours...... TRUTH
Lol The movie industry is moving to Georgia, Florida, and others. The music industry has already moved out. The aircraft industry moved out or are barely existing. So if you trade the few who are working for all of our non working, who will pay the non workers bills?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:47 AM
f16man

Not you
Old 02-05-2016, 10:55 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Just today another drone hit the 45th floor of the Empire State building. What in heavens name is wrong with people?
Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 AM
porcia83
Banned

Really? You don't get out much do you?
One question.
If they don't than WHY were we ( members of a CBO that obey the rules and have for the last 80 years) FROCED to register?

Mike

Mike
LoL...get out much...says the guy who said he wasn't going to post anymore but then redoubled his efforts? This is just me talking, but I'm glad you never left!

C'mon now...I get out plenty thanks for asking. As a matter of fact, at our club meeting last night we had 4 new folks sign up. All quad pilots. One just started flying a fixed wing foamy glider, but he mainly flies several self built racing quads.

Oh, all of them just joined the AMA too, previously just flew in parks and other places. Why did they join? Well two of them were directed to the AMA and to us from Hobby Shop. The other two saw news reports on the FAA registration, used Google to get more info, and came across the AMA site. One thing lead to another, and now we have 4 new AMA members full membership dues paying members too! That now makes a total of 6 quad pilots that we have, that previously were not members of the AMA and/or a club. Not a huge number,but it's a start.

We got another 8 inches of snow today...thick wet and heavy. Time for some skies on the planes!

In other local news, drones were banned this week in wildlife sanctuaries in CT. There hasn't been any issues yet, but the issue was brought up to them after someone asked permission to fly in one and was told no. Thankfully he asked before going ahead and just doing it.

http://wnpr.org/post/citing-wildlife...es-sanctuaries
Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 AM
FALCONSNEST

Originally Posted by loopdeeloop
Just today another drone hit the 45th floor of the Empire State building. What in heavens name is wrong with people?
They're all getting in their last hoorah before the registration deadline. Maybe this will settle down a bit after Feb 19 . . .
Old 02-05-2016, 11:33 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by porcia83
LoL...get out much...says the guy who said he wasn't going to post anymore but then redoubled his efforts? This is just me talking, but I'm glad you never left!

C'mon now...I get out plenty thanks for asking. As a matter of fact, at our club meeting last night we had 4 new folks sign up. All quad pilots. One just started flying a fixed wing foamy glider, but he mainly flies several self built racing quads.

Oh, all of them just joined the AMA too, previously just flew in parks and other places. Why did they join? Well two of them were directed to the AMA and to us from Hobby Shop. The other two saw news reports on the FAA registration, used Google to get more info, and came across the AMA site. One thing lead to another, and now we have 4 new AMA members full membership dues paying members too! That now makes a total of 6 quad pilots that we have, that previously were not members of the AMA and/or a club. Not a huge number,but it's a start.

We got another 8 inches of snow today...thick wet and heavy. Time for some skies on the planes!

In other local news, drones were banned this week in wildlife sanctuaries in CT. There hasn't been any issues yet, but the issue was brought up to them after someone asked permission to fly in one and was told no. Thankfully he asked before going ahead and just doing it.

http://wnpr.org/post/citing-wildlife...es-sanctuaries
Guess you missed my question. I'm not surprised though. I'll try it again. In regards to the public seeing the idiots along with us as one in the same.

Kudos on having probably the only club in North America that's signing up "droners". I don't see others posting the same influx.

Mike
Old 02-05-2016, 06:29 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by FALCONSNEST
This occurred in my local area, and, according to a friend of mine who actually saw the news report, this idiot claimed that he was there first and therefore believed that he had the right of way over the LE helicopter. Maybe the Fly Before You Know program would help this guy, or maybe he is beyond any help at all. It's a shame this didn't happen until after the registration deadline because then he could be made an example of.
This is the reason we need Education with the FAA Registration, I'd bet 50% of non AMA R/C TOY operators don't understand any think about registration or anything like "Know Before U Fly" A Media blitz by the Feds AMA and all concerned with Drones in anyway should be responsible to educate the Public. Every one knows U need a Liscense to drive or fly a full scale Plane why not R/C TOYS in the NAS. Registration without Education is Useless. Dogs on the way.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Guess you missed my question. I'm not surprised though. I'll try it again. In regards to the public seeing the idiots along with us as one in the same.

Mike
Mike, the "public" is not forcing anyone to register anything. The FAA, which is not part of the "public" at all, is requiring all sUAS (ie, aircraft) to be registered. There is a distinction.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Kudos on having probably the only club in North America that's signing up "droners". I don't see others posting the same influx.

Mike
Thanks for the kind words. Our club has worked hard to be be inclusive and open to not only who joins, but also what they fly. I love seeing all the difference faces that show up each week, and the cool stuff they bring with them to fly. We have great relationships with the local hobby shops, as well as other clubs too. Most importantly, our members are our recruiters, word of mouth and a positive outlook is our best process. When dynamics change at one (or all), it's good to have another club to join and be part of. It's also helps that the grumpy close minded "I wish things were the way they were back in the old days" members are either gone, or they have seen the writing on the wall, or better yet peer pressure has shut them up, or caused them to leave the club all together. And while it's sad to lose a member, it's o/k to have that kind of cancer eradicated from the membership. Nothing mean, nothing demeaning, they just get shut down or better yet ignored when they start in with the I hate helis, I hate drones, I hate quads, I hate electrics, I hate arfs, I hate these 3D pilots, I hate 2.4, I hate the AMA, I hate the FAA, I hate anyone who doesn't fly the pattern with their J-3 or Warbird, anyone who doesn't scratch build isn't as good as someone who does....etc etc etc. You get the drift. Ancient mindset, unable to deal with the sweeping change that has already come, and will continue to come. Sure, sometimes they look for other clubs but man, there just aren't that many left out there that will deal with that kind of backward thinking. Well, I should say there are some of those clubs....slowly and surely dying a slow death, the leadership left to wonder wow, we used to have 125 people, why are we down to 26? Guess we'll have to raise our dues again!

Our club has gone from 125 to 220 in 4 years.

Regrettably, there are more clubs in this area that have already kicked out helis, or have never allowed them, and are moving in the same direction as the helis with the quads, and just banning them. Me personally, I think that's a knee jerk reaction and is not beneficial to a club. Conversely, if that's what the majority of the club members want and have voted on those issues fair and square, well that's all good then. If the disenfranchised don't like those results, they should become more involved with the club and run for office, or look for another club. Or just fly fixed wing!
Old 02-06-2016, 05:13 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by radfordc
Mike, the "public" is not forcing anyone to register anything. The FAA, which is not part of the "public" at all, is requiring all sUAS (ie, aircraft) to be registered. There is a distinction.
True but the pressure placed on our lawmakers by them forced registration on use law abiding R/C'ers did it not. Joe blow lumps us all together.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.