Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Unregistered drones in the news.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Unregistered drones in the news.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unregistered drones in the news.

Ok this guy got caught with a large drone in a near miss with a helicopter. No it was not registered. It is interesting that the first one I know of is a flying wing not an MR.

http://www.kmjnow.com/2016/02/03/fre...-with-a-drone/
Old 02-04-2016, 06:36 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice to see that they mentioned the AMA. As far as prosecution goes technically the pilot does not have to be registered before 2/19. Curious though if they were flying FPV and not LOS my guess would be FPV because who in their right mind would even come close to flying near a police helicopter unless they just did not see it due to the limitations of field of view provided by the camera.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:37 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
Ok this guy got caught with a large drone in a near miss with a helicopter. No it was not registered. It is interesting that the first one I know of is a flying wing not an MR.

Was it owned before 12-21-15? If so it does not need to be registered till 2- 19-16. Really if it's a plank or MR is irrelevant since the FAA looks at everything weighing over "2 sticks of butter" that flies in the same light.

Mike
Old 02-04-2016, 06:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Nice to see that they mentioned the AMA. As far as prosecution goes technically the pilot does not have to be registered before 2/19. Curious though if they were flying FPV and not LOS my guess would be FPV because who in their right mind would even come close to flying near a police helicopter unless they just did not see it due to the limitations of field of view provided by the camera.
Not sure Eagle One is a commercial drone service. So not recreational.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:47 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If I recall all the jargon from the rules... the pilot doesn't have to be registered until Feb 21 , but we are past the date where you can FLY without being registered...

I think I have that right.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:50 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by foodstick
If I recall all the jargon from the rules... the pilot doesn't have to be registered until Feb 21 , but we are past the date where you can FLY without being registered...

For recreational R/C anything purchased on or after 12-21-15 the pilot needed to be registered before they flew. Anything owned before the 12-21 date the pilot has to be registered by 2-19-16.
Now if it's actually a commercial drone being used "for hire" that's something different.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 02-04-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:56 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by foodstick

That's not right. If you don't fly you don't have to register. I haven't registered, won't register and am still legal because I have not flown.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

date the pilot has to be registered by 2-19-16.
That's not right either. You don't have to be registered till just before you fly.

In any case the reporter thought this should have been registered. Probably an older model.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 02-04-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:08 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Throw the book at the SOB.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:23 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure Eagle One is a commercial drone service. So not recreational.
Reading the story again it says the copter is called Eagle one Eagle One almost struck the drone – pictured above – in the air. As far as throwing the book at him if he broke the law ok, but the sheriff's dept did not cite him for any violation. Wonder if he is an AMA member?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Never heard of an Eagle One helicopter. When I goggled Eagle One I got a drone service called Eagle One so I figure the reporter got it confused. Does Kalifornia call their police heli's Eagle One? Maybe they should call it the Big Red One. Or Red Claw. Eagle One is just not right for Kalifornia.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:06 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Phew!!!! Thank goodness the FAA implemented this whole registration process so that no one will endanger full scale aircraft.......................................... ...........................................oh wait.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:57 AM
rcmiket

That's not right either. You don't have to be registered till just before you fly.

In any case the reporter thought this should have been registered. Probably an older model.
I would imagine most here are flying or plan to. I realise your the exception to the rule though.

Mike
Old 02-04-2016, 09:10 AM
Rob2160

Never heard of an Eagle One helicopter. When I goggled Eagle One I got a drone service called Eagle One so I figure the reporter got it confused. Does Kalifornia call their police heli's Eagle One? Maybe they should call it the Big Red One. Or Red Claw. Eagle One is just not right for Kalifornia.
Try Googling "fresno sherriff department eagle one"

Eagle one is the Police Helicopter.

Many Police Departments will have their own callsigns or name for the Police Helicopters, e.g. In our State we use Polair 1, Polair 2, etc - as this makes it obvious who they are to ATC vs using the standard aircraft tail number.

This helps when you need a priority clearance.

Another example: The Orange County Sheriff's Department Helis are "Duke 1" and Duke 2"

http://www.policehelicopterpilot.com...viation-units/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E49WGc9h7JI

Last edited by Rob2160; 02-04-2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:58 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Was it owned before 12-21-15? If so it does not need to be registered till 2- 19-16. Really if it's a plank or MR is irrelevant since the FAA looks at everything weighing over "2 sticks of butter" that flies in the same light.

Mike
Howdy from one of the Northeast El Paso members...
Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM
rcmiket

Hows the weather?

Mike
Old 02-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1974
Phew!!!! Thank goodness the FAA implemented this whole registration process so that no one will endanger full scale aircraft.......................................... ...........................................oh wait.
You are so correct ! Why bother with the whole process !
Old 02-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps they should have only initiated the FAA Registration on the West Coast. Seems like the West Coast is the only region with all the Drone problems.

Just stirred the pot a little more fellows ! LOL
Old 02-04-2016, 02:44 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Perhaps they should have only initiated the FAA Registration on the West Coast. Seems like the West Coast is the only region with all the Drone problems.

Just stirred the pot a little more fellows ! LOL
Now that's FUNNY. I second that idea.

Mike
Old 02-04-2016, 03:22 PM
franklin_m

Police helicopter operating at 500 feet, nearly hit by "model airplane."
Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

At 120 MPH the Drone did not fly over the chopper the chopper flew under the drone ... If they saw it why did they continue on the course. Would it be an incident if it were an 8' wing span bird? If I were flying a piper cub at what ever altitude they were at whose fault is it if they come up from any where with in `08 degrees on my 6. ... The technology is coming ADS-B but can we afford it.
All aircraft except those on an FR flight Plan and inIMC must see and avoid... if R/C TOY's are to be treated like airplanes then they have the same rights as other users of the NAS.

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%, colspan: 2"]
Part 91 GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 50%"]Subpart B--Flight Rules[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%"]
General
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Sec. 91.113

Right-of-way rules: Except water operations.

(a) Inapplicability. This section does not apply to the operation of an aircraft on water.
(b) General. When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft. When a rule of this section gives another aircraft the right-of-way, the pilot shall give way to that aircraft and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless well clear.
(c) In distress. An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other air traffic.
(d) Converging. When aircraft of the same category are converging at approximately the same altitude (except head-on, or nearly so), the aircraft to the other's right has the right-of-way. If the aircraft are of different categories--
(1) A balloon has the right-of-way over any other category of aircraft;
[(2) A glider has the right-of-way over an airship, powered parachute, weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.
(3) An airship has the right-of-way over a powered parachute, weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.]
However, an aircraft towing or refueling other aircraft has the right-of-way over all other engine-driven aircraft.
(e) Approaching head-on. When aircraft are approaching each other head-on, or nearly so, each pilot of each aircraft shall alter course to the right.
(f) Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the right-of-way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter course to the right to pass well clear.
(g) Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to
make way for an aircraft on final approach. When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude has the right-of-way, but it shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of another which is on final approach to land or to overtake
that aircraft.

Amdt. 91-282, Eff. 9/1/2004

Comments
Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by franklin_m
BS where did it say they were at 500' AGL and who was doing 120 mph and if R/C airplanes are treated as airplanes and subject to FAR then look at FAR (f)

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 100%, colspan: 2"]
Part 91 GENERAL OPERATING AND FLIGHT RULES
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="width: 50%"]Subpart B--Flight Rules[/TD]
[TD="width: 50%"]
General
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Sec. 91.113

Right-of-way rules: Except water operations.

(a) Inapplicability. This section does not apply to the operation of an aircraft on water.
(b) General. When weather conditions permit, regardless of whether an operation is conducted under instrument flight rules or visual flight rules, vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft. When a rule of this section gives another aircraft the right-of-way, the pilot shall give way to that aircraft and may not pass over, under, or ahead of it unless well clear.
(c) In distress. An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other air traffic.
(d) Converging. When aircraft of the same category are converging at approximately the same altitude (except head-on, or nearly so), the aircraft to the other's right has the right-of-way. If the aircraft are of different categories--
(1) A balloon has the right-of-way over any other category of aircraft;
[(2) A glider has the right-of-way over an airship, powered parachute, weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.
(3) An airship has the right-of-way over a powered parachute, weight-shift-control aircraft, airplane, or rotorcraft.]
However, an aircraft towing or refueling other aircraft has the right-of-way over all other engine-driven aircraft.
(e) Approaching head-on. When aircraft are approaching each other head-on, or nearly so, each pilot of each aircraft shall alter course to the right.
(f) Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the right-of-way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter course to the right to pass well clear.
(g) Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to
make way for an aircraft on final approach. When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude has the right-of-way, but it shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of another which is on final approach to land or to overtake
that aircraft.

Amdt. 91-282, Eff. 9/1/2004

Comments
Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by franklin_m
BS who almost hit how same thing when the 727 hit the 172
Old 02-04-2016, 05:11 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
BS where did it say they were at 500' AGL and who was doing 120 mph
http://www.suasnews.com/2016/02/fres...ss-with-drone/

"The incident took place about noon as the Eagle 1 helicopter was heading to the Shaver Lake area at an altitude of 550 feet."
Old 02-04-2016, 05:14 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by HoundDog
BS who almost hit how same thing when the 727 hit the 172
Not sure if you are referring to the DC9 / Piper crash in Cerritos CA in 1986, if so, then the NTSB found the ATC and the pilot of the Piper at fault.

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...s/AAR8707.aspx

If it's the San Diego accident, then the crew of the 727 was faulted, but so too was ATC.

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/A...ts/AAR7905.pdf

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-04-2016 at 05:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.