Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Proposal - AMA discount for Active Duty E6 & below

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Proposal - AMA discount for Active Duty E6 & below

Old 02-24-2016, 04:40 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acer3299
Boy that's really swell that you could "maybe be talked into " recognizing disabled vets GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your a heck of a guy .......
I am one. I know of which I speak.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:44 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
In the 8 plus years I've been involved in this hobby, and however many clubs I've flown at or visited, I've never seen anything close to the spoiled rich kid persona he alluded to. Not even close. The kids I see are everyday kids like we probably were, enjoying the hell out of this hobby, thankful for any plane they were flying. I've been lucky enough to meet and be fellow members at clubs with some kids you might have seen in your travels. Dean Lampron from up your way in Mass, and the McCormack boys from New Hampshire. I've watch all three of them over the past 5 years excel to the point of shaming most folks at our club. National champ level flying. It's a thrill to see them grow and their skills improve. All three of these kids are as far from Franklin's made up world as you can get. Salt of the earth, generous with their time, and humble as hell about their abilities. All three have worked incredibly hard to get where they are, and all without 200 Dr Dre Beats on their head. They are fantastic with kids at events, and also spend considerable time afterwards helping our members trim out their planes, and answer questions about programming their transmitters. They are the future of this hobby, and are exemplary ambassadors.

Clubs should be working overtime to try to figure out how to get more youths into this great hobby. Our club charges one extra dollar for "family memberships", be it one extra child or 5.

That's fine, but you have to at least admit that not all of us have been graced with the wonderful experience you've had, nor seem to be surrounding by perfect examples that fit neatly into the AMA model as you have. Are there unicorns up there too?
Old 02-24-2016, 07:35 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
That's fine, but you have to at least admit that not all of us have been graced with the wonderful experience you've had, nor seem to be surrounding by perfect examples that fit neatly into the AMA model as you have. Are there unicorns up there too?
I guess we live in alternative realities...you seem to have horrible luck at fields and events with all kinds of unsafe and unsavory characters doing all kinds of unsafe and horrible things. Is that why you don't fly at fields or belong to clubs now, or are there other reasons?. Given you disdain for youths and hyper-focused attention to safety, and constant AMA bashing I'm beginning to wonder. A pattern emerges.

As I said, I'm extremely lucky to fly with those three kids I referenced, who are now young men, but I'm not the only one by any stretch. They belong to multiple clubs. But hey, toss those examples aside. The average kid at a field isn't the one that you have described. You should visit more clubs and see for yourself. In all of these threads I've yet to see your example repeated by anyone else. I'd hold my example of a kid enjoying the hobby and being happy to fly whatever is is flying rather than some overindulged spoiled rich brat. There seems to be an odd tinge of bitterness associated with your characterization.

Oh, and here's another "youngster" that's been flying at our field for the last 5 years. Was at the forefront of MR design, programming, and fabrication. Scratch built amazing scale replicas of civilian aviation aircraft from paper mache and pink core foam, designed and bagged his own DLG and oh, in his spare time built this:

http://flitetest.com/articles/northr...b-design-build

A one of a kind build, done while a student at Purdue. Wanna guess where he maidened it? Ya, our field. I remember the day vividly, when he arrived every unicorn sat down to watch him do his thing. When he was done they all got up and pooped out rainbows to show their appreciation.

Guess we just keep getting lucky with folks like this...pure luck, over and over. If you ever make it up this way, and still have an AMA card of course.....you can be my special guest, perhaps some good luck will rub off?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Maglio6_r900x493.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	2149263  
Old 02-24-2016, 07:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Default Also....

I advocated E6 and below because that's where we discounted many of our own recreational activities.

The "I could care less..." comment was a turn of phrase. If they choose to vote it down, that's there prerogative. But I think it deserves a vote. Just like the vote opportunity they gave for the free youth memberships, and just like the vote opportunity they gave for senior memberships.
You can call your comment a turn of a phrase and dismiss it all you want, it is what it is.

"...I don't know about you, but I could care less if they vote it down, but it bugs me that they won't even vote and go on record..."

Those are your words, clear as day. You're not getting what you want, and it bothers you, and now rather than really push for change in a positive constructive way, you're putting in play a self fulfilling prophecy where you get your rejection, and have yet another thing to complain about. All the while wrapping yourself up in the E6 and below flag, but not veterans.

There's another way to go about it of course, but that would take actual thought and work and effort. Easier I guess to get a more immediate answer even if it's most likely a negative one.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acer3299
Well lets forget about the Vietnam vets no sense in recognizing them now, since it's been almost 50 years, why start now.
Nobody cared back then, why start now.
Kinda late in my book......
You can say that again " Nobody Cared Back Then " !

When I was discharged from the USAF back during the Vietnam era and I did serve in what was considered active combat zones, I went to our cities local Veterans of Foreign Wars Club and asked if I could join ?

The only reply that I received from the VFW representative was " Vietnam is NOT a foreign WAR ", thus NO you can not join !

How is that for recognizing and supporting the Vets of this country ?

Needless to say to date, I have NEVER walked into another VFW club !
Old 03-06-2016, 08:58 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Geez! I'm going to assume that VFW post is now defunct - being that those (probable) WWI & WWII folk have all died off by now.

While I was never "IN" Vietnam, I flew over it dozens of times - but it was my station in "occupied" Berlin that got me an invite into VFW (which I didn't take). Something about Vietnam turned EVERYBODY off back then. Gotta say, I'm like you - rather put off by the lack of appreciation and sometimes outright hostility toward military (all military) at that time.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:39 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What I find hard is how do you explain to the 58,000 soldiers that gave their lives fighting in what the VFW classified as not a " Foreign War " , that they were fighting for nothing ? Fifty-Eight thousand lives wasted for NOTHING ! And this number does not take into account all the other soldiers that were wounded, crippled or even mentally handicapped.

Then this VFW " idiot " had the nerve to tell me that Vietnam was not a foreign war. I sincerely hope that he is now rotting away in a " rice paddy " !

I sincerely hope that nobody comes on this forum to apologize or make excuses for what happened to me with the VFW. It is way to late for that and I will never forget.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:39 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Believe me, for many reasons, none of us will.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:43 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porcia, you should learn that just because you think of something you don't have to believe it. Or say it.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:50 PM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks for the deep thoughtful insight. Makes a lot of sense. Just because I think of something I don't have to believe it. Brilliant stuff. Might want to take some of your own advice though. See how that works?
Old 03-08-2016, 05:17 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am proposing the following to my regional VP. When I floated the idea before (informally), he told me it would not be brought to a vote. I don't know about you, but I could care less if they vote it down, but it bugs me that they won't even vote and go on record. So I've decided to formally submit it again under the bylaws.

Anyone who would like to see them at least vote on it, I'd appreciate the help and would ask that you send the same email to your regional VP...

------ PROPOSAL ----------------------------------------------------------------
As a "bona fide" AMA member, pursuant to Article XI, Section 6 of the AMA bylaws, I submit the following formal request for Executive Council action on this proposal:

"With appropriate proof of service as detailed herein, provide active duty U.S. Military members, E6 and below, a membership discount equal to that provided to seniors. Proof of service shall be a "Statement of Service" or other similar document on DoD letterhead signed by the unit head, an individual with "by direction" signature authority (other than the applicant), a Staff Judge Advocate, or any commissioned officer O-4 and above." (see note)

Justification: Our organization is giving away free memberships to youths, aged 14-19. Yet those under 18 are unlikely to have jobs and thus the resources to put toward the hobby. On the other hand, active duty military members are numerous, young, disciplined (follow safety guidelines), and technically savvy. Furthermore, many are engaged in some way with aviation in their profession. While they have a job and income that exceeds those of the youth ages, oftentimes they're also supporting young families. The fact that many are on food stamps has been well documented, and this is especially true for the lower paygrade enlisted personnel. Under various programs other recreational activities (theme parks, sporting events, etc.) provide discounts to encourage participation. I would like to see AMA honor the service of these young Americans and encourage them to participate in our hobby and join our organization by extending a discount.

I respectfully request feedback on whether any member or the President agrees to put this on the agenda.

Sincerely,
(your name)
AMA#: (your AMA number)

Note: Should a member submit a copy of their DoD ID card in lieu of above, I would recommend AMA accept it as proof of service. However, I would strongly recommend that AMA not encourage such practice. Although it is not well known, the copying of a DoD ID card is a strict violation of Title 18, U.S. Code, Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701.
If many of them are on food stamps as you indicated in your post above is an AMA discount really the best way to help these individuals? In the big scheme of things is a $10 discount really going to make a difference in their life? Would these folks not be better served by you campaigning and supporting for Bernie to raise the minimum wage to $15/hour?

Are those who iPhones excluded?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 AM
ramboamt
My Feedback: (36)

Vietnam was considered a "Police" action by our so called government at that time. Everything controlled from the pentagon instead of the soldier in the field.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:05 PM
porcia83
Banned

To call it anything other than a war is to disrespect those that fought in it. If you have HBO and have a chance to catch it, look up the Nixon Tapes documentary, amazing behind the scenes audio of that period in time.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:09 PM
Sport_Pilot

To call it anything other than a war is to disrespect those that fought in it. If you have HBO and have a chance to catch it, look up the Nixon Tapes documentary, amazing behind the scenes audio of that period in time.
That war was started by democrats. Nixon was trying to end it.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

No, wrong again. Not going to debate politics here, but you're wrong, at least by his own words he chose to memorialize.

THANKS OBAMA (I had to, sorry).
Old 03-08-2016, 12:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

No, wrong again. Not going to debate politics here, but you're wrong, at least by his own words he chose to memorialize.

THANKS OBAMA (I had to, sorry).
So you say the Democrats did not start it? Who are you referring to here? Eisenhower?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

I know the AMA forums have been slow, it's nice to see some activity, but like I said before I'm not getting into a political debate. That and religion, absolutely a waste of time to discuss online. Oh, and HobbyKing.

Look up the show if you get a chance. Amazing what Nixon allowed himself to be taped saying.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:53 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
So you say the Democrats did not start it? Who are you referring to here? Eisenhower?
Yes, in 1956.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:55 PM
rgburrill

Korea was also a police action, not a War. BTW, Korea has also never had a peace treaty, just a cease fire. Seems like one little antagonizing little ---- needs to be taught a lesson that you don't poke a sleeping lion.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:06 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I know the AMA forums have been slow, it's nice to see some activity, but like I said before I'm not getting into a political debate. That and religion, absolutely a waste of time to discuss online. Oh, and HobbyKing.

Look up the show if you get a chance. Amazing what Nixon allowed himself to be taped saying.
Party pooper. Come on! Nothing gets a party going more than a discussion on politics, religion, or Hobby King.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:21 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Party pooper. Come on! Nothing gets a party going more than a discussion on politics, religion, or Hobby King.
Or what radio system is better.

Mike
Old 03-08-2016, 06:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
That's an easy one, it's.........
Old 03-08-2016, 07:25 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
You might want to try some different parties....
Old 03-08-2016, 08:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Yes, in 1956.
No they were only training and advising then.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:40 AM
rgburrill

Sport, the American people in general have never been told the truth about Vietnam. Suffice it to say that we lost more planes in combat prior to 1960 than the American people were told that we even had in Vietnam. Now, can you just for once shut up and accept that someone could have more knowledge about a subject than you?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.