Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FAA Unveils Effort to Expand the Safe Integration of Unmanned Aircraft

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FAA Unveils Effort to Expand the Safe Integration of Unmanned Aircraft

Old 02-25-2016, 05:16 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Not going to have much affect on us. This is trying to beat the Congress to the punch on the micro-UAS rule, which is a 2 Kg. aircraft.
Agree that that it doesn't look like it has much potential to affect those of us that operate traditional model aircraft (no, I won't define traditional mode aircraft for those that don't have a clue as to what it is and want to debate it for the umpteenth time). OTOH, it seems to be more attractive to the drone operators than what AMA can offer them. Dronz R Us has been curiously silent about the (proposed) micro-UAS rule, which clearly will have a positive impact (more permissive) on regulation of their operations if it gets into the law.....less regulated, ironically, than our model aircraft operations that have been taking PR hits, and so getting more regulatory scrutiny, due to publicity-seeking tomfoolery by some drone operators.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:36 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's not going to happen
Apparently the LAPD has issued a field guide to their officers on how to enforce their shiny new law… Coming to a city near you!

Regardless of the “ifs, ands, wherefores” and minutia in the actual law; if this is what the cops are carrying I can tell you just about everyone flying in the Phx Metro area (and probably every other major metro area) can be busted for #3 and/or #2.

I think we need to practice the art of FWT (Flying-While-Tazed) because if you think officer friendly is going to wait more than 3 nanoseconds for you to get that plane on the ground so he can arrest you, you’re sorely (literally) mistaken. I guess it doesn’t matter, just crash it, ‘cause he’s taking it and your radio with him according to section 2.

On the bright side they are allowing for RFC (Release From Custody). Which means if you cooperate he has the option to just leave you with a summons. But he’s still taking your “evidence”.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	LAPD-1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	2149436   Click image for larger version

Name:	LAPD-2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2149437  
Old 02-25-2016, 05:40 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'm inclined to agree and there's no going back. The best is yet to come.

Mike
For sure, the end is near.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:49 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by edh13
Apparently the LAPD has issued a field guide to their officers on how to enforce their shiny new law… Coming to a city near you!

Regardless of the “ifs, ands, wherefores” and minutia in the actual law; if this is what the cops are carrying I can tell you just about everyone flying in the Phx Metro area (and probably every other major metro area) can be busted for #3 and/or #2.

I think we need to practice the art of FWT (Flying-While-Tazed) because if you think officer friendly is going to wait more than 3 nanoseconds for you to get that plane on the ground so he can arrest you, you’re sorely (literally) mistaken. I guess it doesn’t matter, just crash it, ‘cause he’s taking it and your radio with him according to section 2.

On the bright side they are allowing for RFC (Release From Custody). Which means if you cooperate he has the option to just leave you with a summons. But he’s still taking your “evidence”.
Well of course, it happens in one place, so it will naturally happen everywhere? I guess you can predict the worst, and when it doesn't happen, be satisfied with status quo?

The old adage "if you don't do anything wrong, you won't get caught" would seem to apply here. If you think local LE has time to go and sit and watch RC clubs around the country, well there won't be much I can say to persuade you otherwise. You view of what the cops will do is pretty negative and cynical, I've yet to see anything like that documented here. And keep in mind they have always been able to approach someone, even prior to the registration requirements.

I think it's great that local LE have specific guidance on this issue. The more educated they (and we) are on the issue, the better it is for everyone. Now..the folks flying recklessly in parks and public areas, well they may have a rude awakening coming to them. For safe responsible folks...not so much.

Actually, I'm reminded of a poster here who claims that his club has been having almost weekly random vists by FAA inspectors at his club. Haven't heard a peep out of him in terms of enforcement actions or problems with the visits, so that would seem to indicate they aren't doing anything wrong.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:59 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We used to have the LEO stop by our field on a regular basis...they came to watch! Now that was BEFORE Dec. 2015 but it was nice of them to stop and chat...and none of them were modellers. I guess with the GPS they have in their cars now they are 'watched' and the CO may wonder why they are stopped for any length of time - too bad.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:15 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Well of course, it happens in one place, so it will naturally happen everywhere? I guess you can predict the worst, and when it doesn't happen, be satisfied with status quo?

The old adage "if you don't do anything wrong, you won't get caught" would seem to apply here. If you think local LE has time to go and sit and watch RC clubs around the country, well there won't be much I can say to persuade you otherwise. You view of what the cops will do is pretty negative and cynical, I've yet to see anything like that documented here. And keep in mind they have always been able to approach someone, even prior to the registration requirements.

I think it's great that local LE have specific guidance on this issue. The more educated they (and we) are on the issue, the better it is for everyone. Now..the folks flying recklessly in parks and public areas, well they may have a rude awakening coming to them. For safe responsible folks...not so much.

Actually, I'm reminded of a poster here who claims that his club has been having almost weekly random vists by FAA inspectors at his club. Haven't heard a peep out of him in terms of enforcement actions or problems with the visits, so that would seem to indicate they aren't doing anything wrong.
Sorry, I couldn't find a "tongue-in-cheek" emoji for you...

Guess I wasn't clear. According to this guide how can you be safe and responsible when virtually everything is within 5 miles of an airport.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by edh13
Sorry, I couldn't find a "tongue-in-cheek" emoji for you...

Guess I wasn't clear. According to this guide how can you be safe and responsible when virtually everything is within 5 miles of an airport.
Damnit I need to adjust my sarcasm meter, my apologies. Of all people too....shame on me.

I would disagree that virtually everything is within 5 miles of an airport, but even if that's the case, there is no ban or outright prohibition in flying within that area. There are 3 clubs I belong to that are not only within 5 miles, but are less than 2, two in fact are within a mile...and we're still flying. I flew at one last year that is actually on the property of a pretty busy municipal airport, they are still up and running. You have to look past the literal writing of the "rule", there are exceptions and work arounds for many of them. Some will be impossible to enforce, 25 foot rule..lol, would love to see how they figure that one out! Looks like the locals put some of their own stuff in there.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:38 AM
rcmiket

For sure, the end is near.
Please show just where I said that. I do think were not done with regulations though.

Mike
Old 02-26-2016, 03:56 AM
porcia83
Banned

That was my comment, not yours. I could just fabricate a quote...I've seen that done around here.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:34 AM
franklin_m

FYI, the FAA ATC spinoff bill (not this one) was sidelined yesterday:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican leaders are sidelining a bill that would wrest responsibility for running the nation's air traffic control system from the government and turn it over to a private, nonprofit corporation run by airlines and other aviation interests, a House GOP aide said Thursday.

Last edited by franklin_m; 02-26-2016 at 09:45 AM. Reason: correct original post - it was the FAA 2016 authorization that was sidelined
Old 02-27-2016, 05:11 AM
rcmiket

"SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah lawmakers' proposed solution to getting recreational drones out of the way of emergency response units?

Shoot them out of the sky."

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/utah-bill...002335755.html

Mike
Old 02-27-2016, 05:14 PM
porcia83
Banned

Another politico taking the page from the Trump handbook, say something stupid and get lot's of attention and hope something sticks. And of course creating a solution to a fictional problem. Thankfully, someone involved has some common sense. It's another bill that will go nowhere.

"....Utah Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Marissa Villasenor said public safety responders have been able to track down drone operators when their machines have gotten in the way. She couldn't provide an example of an incident in which law enforcement needed to shoot one down....."

Right...because there wouldn't really be a situation where one needed to be shot down. Great idea too from the politician, have someone shooting a drone that's close to first responders or other LE folks. Brilliant!

As with most drone stories in the media, not well covered and explained. Would have been nice to hear from the woman what happened to those folks who were tracked down. Ticketed? Arrested? Any local laws they broke......???