Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Senate Version of FAA bill will destroy model aviation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Senate Version of FAA bill will destroy model aviation

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM
rm1963

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ramboamt,
The ama for motorcycles has more members nation wide and, we were told point blank that our senator, would be re-elected
if we like him or not. So, with only 188k members you are wasting your time.
Now I have a license for one, maybe I'll need another for R/C!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
Hmm...that would be our elected officials.
I'm sure the FAA elite had something to do with this.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:45 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
What imbeciles prompted Congress to get into the business of regulating model airplanes?
Well several are right here in this forum. There are some people who think that their "fun" overrides the safety of the US airways.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
Well several are right here in this forum. There are some people who think that their "fun" overrides the safety of the US airways.
When has anyone in the AMA affected the safety of the US airways? Never! Yes there were several instances that almost did, but you can count them on one hand! We are talking about not allowing "traditional models" not MR of FPV. This would practically kill off everything but small models. We have a better safety record than ultralights which have crashed into a few dozen or so full scale aircraft. And they do a lot more damage. Yet they can fly everywhere!

So go ban ultralights first!
Old 03-10-2016, 10:59 AM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read it all. That you see nothing concerning but out of the other side of your mouth you say it could be anything.....is odd.
1 word, quadcopter
Old 03-10-2016, 11:46 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by qwerty3
"and
(7) the operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test administered by the Federal Aviation Administration online for the operation of unmanned aircraft systems subject to the requirements of section 44809 and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request."
Rather elegant I think, as it takes away the "I didn't know" defense...especially if they make it a recurring requirement vs. one-time thing. Note how they also make it lawful for law enforcement to ask for documentation - thus making enforcement easier at local level.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't mind the knowledge and safety test so much, it's the other things I listed earlier, the public data base, having an airman's card and and certificate of airworthiness to fly an airplane. Does this mean we need to have an FAA rep inspect our planes to get the certificate and, if so, what qualifies said rep to inspect an R/C aircraft? I really don't like having the data base being public. Too much chance for abusing it for personal gain or vindictiveness. If the airman's card is issued upon passing a safety test, I can deal with for the same reason Franklin gave above
Old 03-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Hydro Junkie

Just thought I'd paste this for all of you to comment on. It's on page 48 and 49. The numbers to the left are the line numbers:
21 (b) CONSIDERATIONS.—As part of the standards de-
22 veloped under subsection (a), the Director shall consider—
23 (1) requirements for remote identification of
24 unmanned aircraft systems;March 9, 2016 (3:32 p.m.)49S:\LEGCNSL\LEXA\DOR15\AV\BILL\TNFAARA.3S.xm l
1 (2) appropriate requirements for different clas-
2 sifications of unmanned aircraft systems operations,
3 including public and civil;
4 (3) the role of manufacturers, the Federal Avia-
5 tion Administration, and the owners of the systems
6 described in paragraphs (1) and (2) in reporting and
7 verifying identification data; and
8 (4) the feasibility of the development and oper-
9 ation of a publicly searchable online database to fur-
10 ther enable the immediate remote identification of
11 any unmanned aircraft and its operator by the gen-
12 eral public.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:36 PM
Hydro Junkie

Just for the record, the authors are:
Senator John Thune, South Dakota
Senator Bill Nelson, Florida
Senator Kelly Ayotte, New Hampshire
Senator Maria Cantwell, Washington

What I find interesting is that, per www.mapsofworld.com :
South Dakota has a total of NINE regional airports,
Florida has 28 airports, 14 listed as "international"(mostly in tourist areas), 12 regional/domestic and two listed as "SEAPLANE BASES
New Hampshire has SEVEN airports, one international, five regional and one seaplane base
Washington has 40 airports, five international, 32 regional and three seaplane bases.

Now, my question is "WHAT IN THE HELL ARE SENATORS FROM SOUTH DAKOTA AND NEW HAMPSHIRE DOING ON THAT COMMITTEE?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:29 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Section 2129 - Special Rule for Model Aircraft in Part II - Unmanned Aircraft.

Starts on page 85 (page numbers at top of each page).

these are 2 parts that concern me greatly. They are part of what defines a model operation for the sake of being exempt from FAA regulation (like Section 336 before it):

So it would end RC soaring, IMAC, pattern and jets. If you do not do any of those then I guess it is no big deal to you as long as you are OK with having to pass an FAA test in order to fly your models.
Good Find Bill. Were Fuc&@d!
Old 03-10-2016, 01:32 PM
TimJ

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Just for the record, the authors are:
Senator John Thune, South Dakota
Senator Bill Nelson, Florida
Senator Kelly Ayotte, New Hampshire
Senator Maria Cantwell, Washington

What I find interesting is that, per www.mapsofworld.com :
South Dakota has a total of NINE regional airports,
Florida has 28 airports, 14 listed as "international"(mostly in tourist areas), 12 regional/domestic and two listed as "SEAPLANE BASES
New Hampshire has SEVEN airports, one international, five regional and one seaplane base
Washington has 40 airports, five international, 32 regional and three seaplane bases.

Now, my question is "WHAT IN THE HELL ARE SENATORS FROM SOUTH DAKOTA AND NEW HAMPSHIRE DOING ON THAT COMMITTEE?
Don't forget that Senator Bill Nelson was the ass hat that stood on the senate floor and gave us that wonderful speech on how no one flying drones/model aircraft unless they are a commercial organization.

This battle will NOT be an easy one.

HERE IS A VIDEO TO REMIND THOSE THAT FORGOT OR DIDN'T SEE THE SPEECH. CLICK HERE >>>>> http://www.c-span.org/video/?c457655...-speech-drones

Last edited by TimJ; 03-10-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Already have an FAA issued ATP Certificate.

Guess I'm good to go !

LOL
Old 03-10-2016, 02:07 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Default Speaking of inane

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I'm sure the FAA elite had something to do with this.
Oh yes, no doubt, the Illuminati of the FAA decided they didn't quite have enough on their plates with Nextgen and ATC issues so they decided to surreptitiously work with the politicos to draft this legislation so what, they can have all kinds of control over our toys? Right.
Old 03-10-2016, 03:10 PM
TimJ

Oh yes, no doubt, the Illuminati of the FAA decided they didn't quite have enough on their plates with Nextgen and ATC issues so they decided to surreptitiously work with the politicos to draft this legislation so what, they can have all kinds of control over our toys? Right.
Just watch this:
HERE IS A VIDEO TO REMIND THOSE THAT FORGOT OR DIDN'T SEE THE SPEECH. CLICK HERE >>>>> http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4576550/senator-nelsons-speech-drones That doesn't seem far fetched when you have a senator giving speeches like this.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

These guys are completely clueless sometimes, talking only to hear themselves. Half the time I bet they don't even agree with what they are arguing. I don't doubt that some pols and of course the FAA want to make safety a priority, I just don't see them focusing in on our hobby and ending it as we know it. My glass is half full, lenses tinted on the rose side.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:24 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
What imbeciles prompted Congress to get into the business of regulating model airplanes?
The ones posting here about the money grab.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:29 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Rather elegant I think, as it takes away the "I didn't know" defense...especially if they make it a recurring requirement vs. one-time thing. Note how they also make it lawful for law enforcement to ask for documentation - thus making enforcement easier at local level.
Oh yes, if you love blowing millions of taxpayer dollars to design, develop, and implement such a program, it's elegant. Hey, do you think they'll be offering an active military discount?
Old 03-11-2016, 03:01 AM
rcmiket

My glass is half full, lenses tinted on the rose side.
They could ban the hobby altogether and you'd still post the same. I have to hand it to you your consistent. I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. Just a few weeks back everything was peachy and we ( including the AMA) were victorious with House version of the bill and now this. You still trust these guys?

Mike
Old 03-11-2016, 04:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rcmiket
They could ban the hobby altogether and you'd still post the same. I have to hand it to you your consistent. I don't trust them as far as I could throw them. Just a few weeks back everything was peachy and we ( including the AMA) were victorious with House version of the bill and now this. You still trust these guys?

Mike
They could ban the hobby and ban all MR flying and the problem will still exist. People will either not know or not care and continue to fly recklessly. While those who were flying safely will be banned.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:44 AM
porcia83
Banned

Mike
They could also do nothing that would really affect us, and you would be here bright and early every morning telling us how horrible everything is, and if it's not that bad now, just wait, more horror is around the corner. A part of me thinks you and some of the other doomsday folks wouldn't mind having the hobby banned, if for no other reason than to say "see, we told you so". Last year Franklin seemed to be jonesing for a bad accident at a fly in event so he could crow on and on about the horrible safety standards the AMA has (or doesn't). We obviously look at things from a difference perspective. You basically despise the AMA, or at least it seems that way. You clearly don't trust anyone in Govt. I can't fathom how much effort and energy it takes to get up each day filled with negativity, suspicion, and cynicism.

So ya, things are pretty much peachy except the weather. I go fly now in CT, NY, NJ just as I did last year. Did I miss something in the meanwhile, can you tell me how anything has really changed for you, other than your sudden drop in drone sales? Was the registration horribly difficult? Are you not able to fly? Are you being hassled by FAA inspectors ramp checking your airplane? Local LEO putting down their donuts and jacking you up about something? Someone search the FAA database and find out where you live and turn your world upside down? What is the horrible thing going on now, and who is starting a letter writing campaign, or better yet change.org petition? Boy did those efforts lose steam, and quick! you even took it off your sig line within a week or two.

As for the AMA being victorious, they certainly didn't get everything the wanted, but who does. Not even the NRA can do that. Have they tried, I would say absolutely. Anyone else working on our behalf?

Finally, it doesn't appear you have a firm grasp of how politicians work. Much of what they do is chest thumping, a lot of show for their constituents. They know what they propose is sometimes ludicrous and has no chance of passing. They propose legislation all the time that will go nowhere, just to drive a point home. Here are a few;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ersonhood-bill

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1242627.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1321800.html

It's going to be a peachy weekend, temps finally in the 60 which is almost a heatwave. I have plans to fly at two fields, and I expect to continuing enjoying this hobby just like I did last year. How about you, any flying on tap for this weekend?
Old 03-11-2016, 04:57 AM
rcmiket

They could also do nothing that would really affect us, and you would be here bright and early every morning telling us how horrible everything is, and if it's not that bad now, just wait, more horror is around the corner. A part of me thinks you and some of the other doomsday folks wouldn't mind having the hobby banned, if for no other reason than to say "see, we told you so". Last year Franklin seemed to be jonesing for a bad accident at a fly in event so he could crow on and on about the horrible safety standards the AMA has (or doesn't). We obviously look at things from a difference perspective. You basically despise the AMA, or at least it seems that way. You clearly don't trust anyone in Govt. I can't fathom how much effort and energy it takes to get up each day filled with negativity, suspicion, and cynicism.

So ya, things are pretty much peachy except the weather. I go fly now in CT, NY, NJ just as I did last year. Did I miss something in the meanwhile, can you tell me how anything has really changed for you, other than your sudden drop in drone sales? Was the registration horribly difficult? Are you not able to fly? Are you being hassled by FAA inspectors ramp checking your airplane? Local LEO putting down their donuts and jacking you up about something? Someone search the FAA database and find out where you live and turn your world upside down? What is the horrible thing going on now, and who is starting a letter writing campaign, or better yet change.org petition? Boy did those efforts lose steam, and quick! you even took it off your sig line within a week or two.

As for the AMA being victorious, they certainly didn't get everything the wanted, but who does. Not even the NRA can do that. Have they tried, I would say absolutely. Anyone else working on our behalf?

Finally, it doesn't appear you have a firm grasp of how politicians work. Much of what they do is chest thumping, a lot of show for their constituents. They know what they propose is sometimes ludicrous and has no chance of passing. They propose legislation all the time that will go nowhere, just to drive a point home. Here are a few;

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...ersonhood-bill

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1242627.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1321800.html

It's going to be a peachy weekend, temps finally in the 60 which is almost a heatwave. I have plans to fly at two fields, and I expect to continuing enjoying this hobby just like I did last year. How about you, any flying on tap for this weekend?
There's potential problems on the horizon. You choose not to recognize them and choose as always to do the happy dance. That is your choice.

Mike
Old 03-11-2016, 05:23 AM
porcia83
Banned

There's potential problems on the horizon. You choose not to recognize them and choose as always to do the happy dance. That is your choice.

Mike
Yes of course, on the horizon, just around the corner....etc etc. I guess you have the clear vision of what is to come while I dance with blinders on? LoL....calling for the end of time ain't making a change, it's not making a bit of difference. Reacting to every "what if" does what? You revel in the negative and prognosticate the ruination of the hobby, been doing so going on more than a year now, and what do you have to show as evidence of this? Zip, squat, nada. Just a lot of maybe and what if, tossed liberally with a steady stream of the AMA and the FAA suck.

Off to fly and have some fun, while I still can because it could all end tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	images.png
Views:	66
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	2151935  
Old 03-11-2016, 05:45 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Apparently, he hasn't watched any of the Republican debates.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:48 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Oh yes, if you love blowing millions of taxpayer dollars to design, develop, and implement such a program, it's elegant. Hey, do you think they'll be offering an active military discount?
I personally don't care if it costs millions. As we've seen in various posts on this site, the level of knowledge about applicable regulations is seriously lacking - in fact in another forum there are people asking moderators to remove posts due to dangerous misinformation. So, yes, millions would we a small price to pay to establish a base level of aviation regulation knowledge while at the same time giving tools for enforcement.

I'm in favor of it and hope that it stays in the legislation - in fact I hope they make it three year requirement aligned with the registration.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:32 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Apparently, he hasn't watched any of the Republican debates.
Please don't assume anything. I've followed both parties pretty close and the other side ain't much better. The old "I'll give you everything" and the opponents response "So will I" is just what got us where we are right now.
People wonder why Trumps so popular, it's rather simple the people are fed up with career politicians and the growth of government in general. This same government along with these same politicians are the ones screwing with us as a hobby. They have earned my distrust.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quote-if-you-do-not-take-an-interest-in-the-affairs-of-your-government-then-you-are-doomed-plato.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2151936  

Last edited by rcmiket; 03-11-2016 at 06:38 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.