Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should the AMA/Clubs continue to make donations to the Wounded Warrior Project?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should the AMA/Clubs continue to make donations to the Wounded Warrior Project?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 AM
RC Pilot 007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good no more $$$ to wwp
Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's always better to pick out a deserving individual and give them your direct support.
100% of your effort goes towards helping that person, guaranteed.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:13 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's another option of course, but getting a club to all agree to donate something to one person might not be as easy as donating money to a group that might help more than just one (like a local food bank, veterans home, etc etc).
Old 05-02-2016, 04:42 AM
RC Pilot 007

good to give direct so no business take some. bad when person buy booze and smokes
Old 05-02-2016, 05:00 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Ug , ungawa , i me thinkum so 2
Old 05-03-2016, 12:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Im finally free to say that the main charity this year will be the Disabled American Veterans.

As always, if you decide you want to support another charity you can name them on your registration form.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:54 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Im finally free to say that the main charity this year will be the Disabled American Veterans.

As always, if you decide you want to support another charity you can name them on your registration form.
Great news.

Sad commentary when this groups first mission statement goal is this:

• Providing free, professional assistance to veterans and their families in obtaining benefits and services earned through military service and provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and other agencies of government.

Seems perverse that this group has to spend time and effort making sure veterans and family get benefits THEY ARE ALREADY ENTITLED TO!!!

The puport to give 97% of their funds to program services, and only 3% for overhead. That's a fantastic number.

https://www.dav.org/

At the end of the day I don't think there was any rotten or nefarious that the WWP did, I think they might have become victims of their own explosive growth and success, and might have lost sight of their core purpose (sort of like politicians needing to spend more time fundraising they representing their constituents). If for no other reason than "optics", they should have been more cautious in what they did. It reminds me of the United Way and how they got lambasted in the public about 20 years ago for their travel budgets, and the president taking limos. It took them years to recover from that. Hopefully WWP will be able to pivot/learn from the experience.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:18 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

We have some excellent local charities in my area that are very deserving. Picking a local charity helps benefit the local community and can be a big PR plus for clubs by showing support for their community.