Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:17 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting...only a few days old. We now have research institutions getting into the act of quantifying danger. Pretty compelling video.

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-catapul...rs-drones.html
Old 04-17-2016, 07:00 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Pollyannas must be catching the vapors about now
Old 04-18-2016, 02:29 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
This is interesting...only a few days old. We now have research institutions getting into the act of quantifying danger. Pretty compelling video.

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-catapul...rs-drones.html
In other news, water is wet, fire is hot, and what comes up will come down. Someone needed to put a test together showing a carbon fiber blade could damage human flesh? Imagine that. Next we'll have someone proposing a safety program and a way to track injuries from drones.

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Pollyannas must be catching the vapors about now
Not nearly as bad as the "traditional modelers" and builders of $10,000 turbines do when talking about drones.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:46 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok , so , , , Now that the 400 foot horse has been thoroughly beaten to death across 10 different AMA forum threads with neither side changing their views in the slightest , , ,

Exactly HOW many of you HAVE written your Senators about your concerns for the future of the LOS flying RC hobby as is the title theme of THIS thread ?
Old 04-18-2016, 12:39 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun

Ok , so , , , Now that the 400 foot horse has been thoroughly beaten to death across 10 different AMA forum threads with neither side changing their views in the slightest , , ,

Exactly HOW many of you HAVE written your Senators about your concerns for the future of the LOS flying RC hobby as is the title theme of THIS thread ?
I've written everyone but the Pope. Don't really think it matters anymore or will carry any weight.

MIke
Old 04-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

May or may not pertain to this forum. But below you will find the reply to a question that I asked the AMA in regards to Pilot Testing.
Their is another forum that I started and it is also posted there, but thought no harm in also posting it here. Just trying to keep everybody informed.

Q. With all of the above stated, why should it be necessary for me to pass a test to fly a " Radio Controlled Airplane " ?

A: We are probably a year away from the test becoming public - assuming the Senate version does not get amended, passes the second committee, and passes the second round of voting. Most likely you will have to take the test, but again we have many more steps from even knowing if the test will be required.

Finally, I would like to know why the AMA has not launched a NATIONAL program to explain to the general public that it is not the Model Aircraft Hobbyist, but the rogue DRONE operators that are causing all of the air space problems ?

A: That question best may be best answered by your Executive Council person or through a marketing ticket. I can confirm we make this argument in all of our media inquiries.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:41 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

P.S. Don't shoot the messenger ! Seems like a lot of folks are going around half cocked ! LOL
Old 04-18-2016, 04:33 PM
init4fun

poster below must be talking to himself , hope he has fun with that ........

Last edited by init4fun; 04-19-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:07 PM
TimJ

And decade after decade the FCC reduces it's knowledge requirements to obtain a FCC Amateur Radio license. The numbers have also thinned to a very small number.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:51 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by TimJ
And decade after decade the FCC reduces it's knowledge requirements to obtain a FCC Amateur Radio license. The numbers have also thinned to a very small number.
http://www.radioqth.net/ziplookup

There's more of them than there are us out there. In my area first 3 digits of my zip showed me 715 here. I thought they just dropped the Morse Code requirement as part of the test. Also with all the "preppers" out there ham is still really popular.

Mike
Old 04-19-2016, 06:08 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by rcmiket

There's more of them than there are us out there. In my area first 3 digits of my zip showed me 715 here. I thought they just dropped the Morse Code requirement as part of the test. Also with all the "preppers" out there ham is still really popular.

Mike
Of course there are .

However , I refuse to recognize Tim's existence here till he answers our question over in the "Secret Squirrel Solution" thread !

For all intents and purposes , he can post up the solution to world peace for all I care , till he explains himself .

The not rude thing to have done , if he really DID have some "guarded secret" would of course have been to PM the guy so none of the

"PSST , we gotta take it off line , the plebes here can't know of my brilliant plan !!!"

BS was in print to insult the rest of the board with . This is a PUBLIC discussion forum , and if things are going to be private , why come into a thread at all and dangle a hint of them in front of the rest of the members ? Pure rude forum behavior , no matter HOW he may attempt to ignore the insult he posted to the board by deeming everyone not worthy of hearing his great plan !

Just downright rude , no two ways about it , and I ain't letting it go ...........

Last edited by init4fun; 04-19-2016 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Bumped the other post for ya ;)
Old 04-19-2016, 07:13 AM
TimJ

Mike
That's great insight rcmiket. Thanks for that link. It would seem the population has grown some. I wonder how may are actually active still.

The Code requirement was eliminated and the classes of license were simplified. Radio theory and electronic theory seems to be about the same, but the Code requirement was the biggest change. You really had to be disciplined in order to advance to other classes. Anyhow, there's no doubt that there's less in that hobby today than 25 years ago.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:55 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

Interesting about the number of hams in a particular zip code. I looked up my zip code and there are only 123. I have never owned a real ham rig, I only use my license for flying model planes.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:23 AM
init4fun

I've written everyone but the Pope. Don't really think it matters anymore or will carry any weight.

MIke
Me too , and who knows , Maybe Pope Francis IS the one to put a fair an equitable solution in place for the integration of UAS into the national airspace . With how well he has handled the duties of being Pope , I'd trust him FAR futher than anyone presently working on it !
Old 04-19-2016, 10:32 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree 100% that well written letters that calmly & rationally explain how "traditional" LOS RC flight is not "the problem" they are trying to solve with regulation are our best defense on a personal level , but I really think their should be more media coverage of how yet another American hobby is being regulated out of business * . I hear exactly nothing about any of this except how the FAA is enacting new "drone" regulation without one mention of the existing hobby that's being squeezed between the Drones & the FAA on my nightly news at 6:00 . And our AMA really needed to further blur that line , just so a few pollyanas could be able to come to the forums & sing Kumbaya , we'll all so politically correct & inclusive ? This is nothing against multirotors , BTW , when flown LOS they are just the same as any other model aircraft and should be included in our organization , it's the RC craft of any configuration that carries the ability to fly BLOS that is "the problem" , the "flying camera" and "flying robot" being principally the two types of craft that are long overdue of being separated out of our hobby and into a hobby classification all their own .

* At what point of mandatory , costly airworthiness inspections are the small manufacturers just gonna up & decide there is no more profitability in marketing model airplanes any longer , when this latest regulatory punch to the head begins to be felt ?
Agree 100%. In hind-sight, the AMA NEVER should have included camera-carrying drones as just another facet of RC model aircraft! And it is now PAST TIME the AMA do what needs to be done and SEPARATE these new types of flying things from the fixed and rotary wing aircraft we hobbyist have been building and flying SAFELY for DECADES! The AMA MUST delineate between WE who fly our aircraft strictly as hobbyists, at SANCTIONED AMA Club sites, adhering to the rules and regulations that have kept this hobby SAFE for decades / and those who fly aircraft that are NOT subject to the same controls, such as park flyers and multi-rotor drones, especially those that carry cameras! Further, FPV (first person view) flying must be separated from what the bulk of RC hobbyists do, and have been doing safely for decades. IF the AMA fails to do this, I am afraid we will all be caught in the same massive FAA regulations NET that came to life thanks to camera-carrying drones and a few malcontents who flew their RC aircraft WAY outside the boundaries of the AMA Safety Code!

ALL OF US must write our Senators immediately or risk losing our hobby forever (not to mention everything in your shop being worth about 10% what you paid for it): http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx
Old 04-19-2016, 11:27 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by RichardGee
Agree 100%. In hind-sight, the AMA NEVER should have included camera-carrying drones as just another facet of RC model aircraft! And it is now PAST TIME the AMA do what needs to be done and SEPARATE these new types of flying things from the fixed and rotary wing aircraft we hobbyist have been building and flying SAFELY for DECADES! The AMA MUST delineate between WE who fly our aircraft strictly as hobbyists, at SANCTIONED AMA Club sites, adhering to the rules and regulations that have kept this hobby SAFE for decades / and those who fly aircraft that are NOT subject to the same controls, such as park flyers and multi-rotor drones, especially those that carry cameras! Further, FPV (first person view) flying must be separated from what the bulk of RC hobbyists do, and have been doing safely for decades. IF the AMA fails to do this, I am afraid we will all be caught in the same massive FAA regulations NET that came to life thanks to camera-carrying drones and a few malcontents who flew their RC aircraft WAY outside the boundaries of the AMA Safety Code!

ALL OF US must write our Senators immediately or risk losing our hobby forever (not to mention everything in your shop being worth about 10% what you paid for it): http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/gov.aspx
You do realize that the planes that have been build the "traditional" way for decades and decades were the first aircraft to carry cameras on them right? It's not as if MR or Drones were the first to do so. It doesn't matter what the AMA does now, nor for that matter what they might have done differently in the past, the feds are the ones who labled everything that goes up into the airspace a uAS, and nowhere in that classification does the word "camera" appear.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by RichardGee

There may have been a time when that would have been smart, but it would have been before 2009. Now recreational quads are model airplanes and married by law. In fact we are in the same boat so it may be better to procreate than to separate.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
There may have been a time when that would have been smart, but it would have been before 2009. Now recreational quads are model airplanes and married by law. In fact we are in the same boat so it may be better to procreate than to separate.
Agree for the most part, for the life of me I don't get why anyone would think anything would change for the better if the AMA suddenly did a complete change and said they won't accept MR/Drones into the hobby. Makes absolutely no sense.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:54 PM
M_Callahan

Pretty cool Mike. I just checked the first 3 of my zip code and came up with 1789 hams, counting club call signs
SW Ohio.

Mike
Old 04-19-2016, 05:59 PM
TimJ

Don't forget to subtract the amount of expired license
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 PM
Silent-AV8R

Oops, so much for the "Ham radio is dying" myth:

http://www.arrl.org/news/us-amateur-...-all-time-high

Amateur Radio growth in the US continues to soar. At the end of 2014, the total number of radio amateurs in the FCC’s Universal Licensing System (ULS) database reached an all-time high of 726,275. The trend has continued in the first 2 months of 2015, which saw the ham population rise to slightly more than 727,000. The figures exclude expired licenses that are within the 2-year grace period, and club station licenses.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 AM
TimJ

Ooops.....So much for the myth that model aviation is dying.

http://www.popsci.com/big-fight-over-little-airplanes

"For the AMA, education is the way forward to the safe, drone-filled skies of tomorrow.
Logistically, that's a bit of a challenge. While the AMA’s membership is growing, with a reported increase from around 145,000 members in 2008 to 188,000 members in 2015, the ranks of drone pilots are growing much faster. The FAA announced that 300,000 drone owners registered in the first month the registry was open, which is already more people than there are AMA members. "
Old 04-20-2016, 05:03 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Oops, so much for the "Ham radio is dying" myth:

http://www.arrl.org/news/us-amateur-...-all-time-high

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Thank You Bill .

And , that increase was with no 1/4 Million Dollar expendature on the ARRL's part .... Gee , I can't wait to see the huge , dare I say gargantuan , rise in our AMA member numbers once all the Drone flyers sign up , attracted by our organization's irresistable marketing campaign !!!!

"What's that ? something about Hell freezing over first ? Naaa , the droners are gonna ride in and rescue our sagging membership numbers any minute now !"

Or Not ..... I can't wait till the 2016 figures are released and some computer savvy guy like Franklin compiles the last 10 years or so into a nice easy to read spreadsheet for even dinosaurs like me to be able to get the gist of . That's where the rubber will really meet the road , if we haven't seen a damned near Meteoric rise in 2016 numbers our point will be proven of the AMA EC abandoning us who've supported it for the past however many years just to court a group of people who would never have joined anyway !

PS , when the peanut gallery posts up some polyanna BS of how much our AMA has grown , let's not forget to factor in all of the FREE memberships due to the "sign up all your children for free to pad the numbers" campaign ! Gee , In SIX MONTHS the FAA got 300 K signups , and our membership stagnates at less than 200K for a decades old organization . Eight YEARS and we rise by 40 K , and the peanut gallery posts that up as some kind of accomplishment ? Yep , great numbers indeed

Last edited by init4fun; 04-20-2016 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:08 AM
Sprucedeuce

If this bill passes the AMA will be gone in two to three years as there wont be a need for it because no one can fly anymore, so by trying to make the flying cameras just a "normal" part of the RC scene they have effectively cut their own throats.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:19 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

, and our membership stagnates at less than 200K for a decades old organization . Yep , great numbers indeed
Of course traditional model aviation is near death! Look around you at the flying field....a bunch of teetering old men on their last breath. Of course their are a few youngsters flying 3D, helicopters, and now "drones", but traditional "airplanes" are passe. The AMA can pass quietly into the night or change to accommodate the world as it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.