Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:12 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
CJ , when your right , your right , and I can 100% agree with you that the mission of protecting ALL of aero modeling took a back seat to the EC trying to protect their back sides ...
If what Dave Scott said is true, they also presided over "a 15-year trend of declining club membership." Now that 400 clubs not renewing makes a lot more sense. There's a critical mass I suppose of clubs, if there aren't enough nearby, then there aren't enough places that require AMA membership, therefore no reason to join.

Sure creates a lot of incentive to inject themselves into the legislative process to try and force people to join.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:21 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
But we can't forget that under AMA's leadership, there's been a "15-year trend of declining club membership."
More cherry picking. Has this current EC been in their positions over the past 15 years?

Also, what about this article...seems membership is up? Guess that doesn't fit the usual narrative.

http://www.popsci.com/big-fight-over-little-airplanes
Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It goes even further than that. No need for a hobby shop that stocks aircraft.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:59 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If what Dave Scott said is true, they also presided over "a 15-year trend of declining club membership." Now that 400 clubs not renewing makes a lot more sense. There's a critical mass I suppose of clubs, if there aren't enough nearby, then there aren't enough places that require AMA membership, therefore no reason to join.

Sure creates a lot of incentive to inject themselves into the legislative process to try and force people to join.

Where did you see that 400 clubs are not renewing with the AMA? If the AMA is losing chartered clubs now, there is a serious problem for them.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:21 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Where did you see that 400 clubs are not renewing with the AMA? If the AMA is losing chartered clubs now, there is a serious problem for them.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...a-charter.html
Old 04-21-2016, 03:11 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the link
Old 04-21-2016, 03:22 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
If it's on the internet, it must be true.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Hi Franklin ,

When this whole FAA regulation story first broke and I saw the very first CBO language the AMA was working to insert into the legislation , that was my confirmation right then and there that the AMA EC does see forcing membership as the only way to insure the AMA's future . LCS and I had several discussions of this where we were of course called "AMA haters" by who he aptly called "The AMAish" cause we didn't want to see what started out as a simple non profit model aircraft advocacy organization become a quasi government regulatory arm !

LCS and I were correct almost to the point of being prophetic , it would appear .....
Old 04-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Hi Franklin ,

When this whole FAA regulation story first broke and I saw the very first CBO language the AMA was working to insert into the legislation , that was my confirmation right then and there that the AMA EC does see forcing membership as the only way to insure the AMA's future . LCS and I had several discussions of this where we were of course called "AMA haters" by who he aptly called "The AMAish" cause we didn't want to see what started out as a simple non profit model aircraft advocacy organization become a quasi government regulatory arm !

LCS and I were correct almost to the point of being prophetic , it would appear .....
There was nothing there to force membership, it stated those following CBO rules. It did not say those who are members. Seems like you would want it though as it would increase membership.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:58 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It used to be that every hobby shop that sold RC model aircraft, also pushed AMA membership and local club membership, as BOTH were integral to successful entry into RC flight. Most newbies needed not only guidance on properly building their models, but also required an experienced instructor. With the advent of small electric 'plug n play' RC models, many now equipped with GPS, a large RC field, experienced builder guidance, and even an instructor, are no longer essential for successful entry into RC flight. However, the AMA STILL should have been equipping hobby shops and online retailers with information that helped newbies decide WHERE they want to take their new hobby? It would have been VERY inexpensive to include an AMA DVD with every purchase of a ready to fly aircraft that demonstrated far more advanced (and larger) aircraft that REQUIRED both AMA insurance AND a sanctioned AMA flying site to operate. THIS would have encouraged AMA membership, even among those who never got past park flyers, but always had envisioned they would. It's called MARKETING! The AMA has FAILED to market the hobby successfully, which is why it's changing and dying.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

However, the AMA STILL should have been equipping hobby shops and online retailers with information that helped newbies decide WHERE they want to take their new hobby?
They still do, but many hobby stores now ignore them. They make more money on cars and drones so why bother?
Old 04-21-2016, 07:11 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
There was nothing there to force membership, it stated those following CBO rules. It did not say those who are members. Seems like you would want it though as it would increase membership.

Investigate wanting to fly any RC over 55 pounds and then get back to me on that ....
Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 AM
br549-2

Teach someone to fly, you have a pilot . Teach someone to build you have a modeler.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:27 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by br549-2
Teach someone to fly, you have a pilot . Teach someone to build you have a modeler.
Excellent.

Mike
Old 04-21-2016, 08:36 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by br549-2
Every hobby shop has (or had) a large selection of kits on the shelf. What they keep selling are "plug n play" toys.
Seen a Tower Flyer lately? Wall-to-wall READY TO FLY flyin thingz... The kits comprise one page.
It would be great if kids wanted to learn to build anything, but today the vast majority possess neither the interest nor the focus.
The U.S. has allowed millions of 'instant gratification devices' to pour in here and it has changed the culture of our youth, most of whom can't tell a dip stick from an antenna, and wouldn't know a glow plug from a spark plug.
We no longer have boys learning engineering and design because they don't need to... it's all been done already in another country and is handed to them in a shiny box.
It's now easier to just buy another one, rather than fix the one you crashed.
This is ALL be design and just another path towards "defeating this nation without ever firing a shot" - sorry to sound so dire, but I see NO upside to any of this. IF I am missing something PLEASE enlighten me as to how this all works out for the betterment of our country and future generations?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

Investigate wanting to fly any RC over 55 pounds and then get back to me on that ....
Well you think they should just automatically approve such heavy aircraft? What's wrong with the AMA approving them? Membership required? Good!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by RichardGee
Every hobby shop has (or had) a large selection of kits on the shelf. What they keep selling are "plug n play" toys.
Seen a Tower Flyer lately? Wall-to-wall READY TO FLY flyin thingz... The kits comprise one page.
It would be great if kids wanted to learn to build anything, but today the vast majority possess neither the interest nor the focus.
The U.S. has allowed millions of 'instant gratification devices' to pour in here and it has changed the culture of our youth, most of whom can't tell a dip stick from an antenna, and wouldn't know a glow plug from a spark plug.
We no longer have boys learning engineering and design because they don't need to... it's all been done already in another country and is handed to them in a shiny box.
This is ALL be design and just another path towards "defeating this nation without ever firing a shot" - sorry to sound so dire, but I see NO upside to any of this. IF I am missing something PLEASE enlighten me as to how this all works out for the betterment of our country and future generations?
If I owned a hobby shop it probably wouldn't have any kits in it, except for maybe a few I would buy for myself. Why stock something that won't sell? I have no idea how you think this hurts the nation. Maybe if we were talking bathrooms then yes perhaps, but I just don't get your drift on kits.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:53 AM
init4fun

Well you think they should just automatically approve such heavy aircraft? What's wrong with the AMA approving them? Membership required? Good!

Twits Twist Wiggle Wiggle little fishie , You asked for an example of mandated AMA membership , as though mandated membership didn't already exist , and were given one .......
Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

Twits Twist Wiggle Wiggle little fishie , You asked for an example of mandated AMA membership , as though mandated membership didn't already exist , and were given one .......
No I said the original 336 version did not mandate AMA membership. The fact that AMA will not inspect an over 55 pound model over 55 pounds does not mean this is mandated by Congress.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 AM
br549-2

Originally Posted by RichardGee
I agree, but I too like some instant gratification to keep my to keep my thumbs in shape.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:33 AM
br549-2

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Excellent.

Mike
Thanx Mike. Greg
Old 04-21-2016, 09:56 AM
init4fun

No I said the original 336 version did not mandate AMA membership. The fact that AMA will not inspect an over 55 pound model over 55 pounds does not mean this is mandated by Congress.

Ouch , I think I just got hit by Sport's sliding goalpost ......

...Naa , musta just been the braincramp of tryin to follow all the twists & spins ! ....

Still , watch out where ya swingin that thing buddy , ya may just end up hittin yer own backside .
Old 04-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Sport_Pilot

Ouch , I think I just got hit by Sport's sliding goalpost ......

...Naa , musta just been the braincramp of tryin to follow all the twists & spins ! ....

Still , watch out where ya swingin that thing buddy , ya may just end up hittin yer own backside .
Sorry but when I replied to your statement on what the AMA was working on I stated what was actually put in. I have no idea what the AMA did but I really don't understand why you have an issue with the AMA trying to require membership on one hand, then complain about lack of effort to boast membership on the other hand. Seems it would have to be balanced on a knife to satisfy you.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:17 AM
init4fun

Sorry but when I replied to your statement on what the AMA was working on I stated what was actually put in. I have no idea what the AMA did but I really don't understand why you have an issue with the AMA trying to require membership on one hand, then complain about lack of effort to boast membership on the other hand. Seems it would have to be balanced on a knife to satisfy you.

Sport my Friend , What I'd like is for the AMA to flourish due to being relevant to ALL aeromodeling , and not due to government mandated membership !

If the AMA had spent half the effort that Sen Inhoffe did in getting the distinction made between the separate classes of RC craft , the AMA could have promoted the best of both worlds . It has always been MY opinion that there is enough difference between LOS and BLOS RC flight to justify two completely different flight classifications , each with their own specially tailored set of operating standards and conditions , based on the relative levels of risk and competency to operate within the more technologically elaborate flight condition .

In other words , the AMA coulda promoted Drones WITHOUT tossing the rest of the hobby under the Bus . Maybe then membership mighta took an upward tick or two , as BOTH groups of traditionalists and droners feel they're being represented not at the expense of each other ?
Old 04-21-2016, 11:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sport my Friend , What I'd like is for the AMA to flourish due to being relevant to ALL aeromodeling , and not due to government mandated membership !

If the AMA had spent half the effort that Sen Inhoffe did in getting the distinction made between the separate classes of RC craft , the AMA could have promoted the best of both worlds . It has always been MY opinion that there is enough difference between LOS and BLOS RC flight to justify two completely different flight classifications , each with their own specially tailored set of operating standards and conditions , based on the relative levels of risk and competency to operate within the more technologically elaborate flight condition .

In other words , the AMA coulda promoted Drones WITHOUT tossing the rest of the hobby under the Bus . Maybe then membership mighta took an upward tick or two , as BOTH groups of traditionalists and droners feel they're being represented not at the expense of each other ?
Of course all of the regulations are not in place yet but as I understand it 336 only applies to LOS. BLOS is presently completely illegal but may become legal for those with a commercial license and the sensors required by FAA. Gray area is BLOS capable but operated with a spotter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.