Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Question to AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Question to AMA

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 07:14 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
As a professional pilot for over 40 years, I refuse to register with the FAA for the "right" to operate my model aircraft. I am now part of the 250 gram and under club. I also fly control line.

What a sad state of affairs for our hobby and our country. I pray for new leadership on both counts.
Well, the short of it is that I have you beat with more that 40 aviation experience, not counting USAF service.
But, I did register with the FAA, as that seem to become the norm and was getting feed back that clubs I belonged to was going to require the FAA registrations to fly at their fields. One of the reasons I had no problem registering with the FAA was due to the fact that they already had all of my information, thus what more could they add to it ?

I will consider to fly my larger models, but I to have looked at the smaller electrics, especially since during the winter, indoor flying in our area is becoming quite popular. Again, like you I have looked at some U-Control models as I started with U-Control and may very well end up with them. I may be wrong with this question, but I thought you also had to register U-Control with the FAA ?

Will definitely agree with you that it is a sad state of affairs for our hobby, but I think that it is even sadder for the country.

I just hope that somebody out there ......... DUMPS TRUMP ! Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM
jeffEE

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just because you can pilot full size aircraft does not mean you can pilot RC aircraft. I worked for many years at a national hobby chain store, and many times tried to talk a full size pilot out of starting in the RC hobby with the WW2 fighter. And most of them came in the next time crying about how fast it hit the ground and smashed. I am not saying that I like the idea of passing a flying test, but I have no fear of my flying skills or ability to pass it. I would just hate to think about the long wait to find a person to give me the test.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:33 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba

I may be wrong with this question, but I thought you also had to register U-Control with the FAA ?

Will definitely agree with you that it is a sad state of affairs for our hobby, but I think that it is even sadder for the country.

I just hope that somebody out there ......... DUMPS TRUMP ! Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Control line models only require FAA registration if they are using an RC link to control any feature on the model i.e. a scale model with retracts, flaps, throttle, bomb drop etc. Free flight, standard control line models, and RC models flown indoors are not required to register.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:37 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffEE
Just because you can pilot full size aircraft does not mean you can pilot RC aircraft. I worked for many years at a national hobby chain store, and many times tried to talk a full size pilot out of starting in the RC hobby with the WW2 fighter. And most of them came in the next time crying about how fast it hit the ground and smashed. I am not saying that I like the idea of passing a flying test, but I have no fear of my flying skills or ability to pass it. I would just hate to think about the long wait to find a person to give me the test.
THIS! So true. Some of the scariest RC pilots I've seen are scale pilots. They understand flight from a left seat perspective, not from a right and left thumb perspective. Some come around, some don't. And always with a warbird too....
Old 04-14-2016, 12:34 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Been flying RC for over 45 years and control line before that. After 40 years of flying full scale aircraft, I don't need anymore FAA intrusion into my life.

Modelng is supposed to be fun, and FAA involvement removes all of the fun for me.

I certainly don't want to risk a violation against my license over a model airplane. If I was retired I wouldn't worry about it. If I wasn't flying for a living, I wouldn't worry about it.

And yes, my part of the hobby HAS been severly limited since February. And I'm REALLY mad about it!

The AMA let us down in their quest for money and members. Instead they may go broke paying lawyers to fight the FAA.

They should have drawn a demarcation line to seperate us from the drone/FPV crowd. Such as, any flying machine with any type of camera is not a traditional model airplane and requires further regulation and control.

Rant over. Sorry gents. I'll go back to building my 8.8 oz glider and my Cox .020 sport plane.

Last edited by 049flyer; 04-14-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Granpooba

I will agree with you to a certain extent as to just because I can fly full scale does not mean that I can fly RC. BUT !! I CAN FLY RC !! I built RC models for years, even before I learned to fly them. I just liked building them and just sold most of them or gave them to friends. Finally decided if I was going to build them, I might as well learn how to fly them, thus I did. I'm 73 years old and have building since the age of 8 . Think that I can say I have mastered both the building and flying of RC models.

Not saying that it was any easier for me as it was not, but I did master the RC Hobby. Part of the problem that full scale pilots have with learning RC is that in full scale you feel the aircraft and in RC their is no feel.

If you really want to see some bad pilots in full scale and RC, take a look at Doctors and Lawyers. They think they know everything ! LOL

P.S. You might want to come up to date with all of the proposals and my was sent to the " AMA " and not the FAA for a reason. From what I have been told and the information that I have gathered is that you do not have to worry about a FLIGHT TEST. I have been informed that it would be an " ONLINE TEST " administered by the AMA. Now go figure that one !

If it was to be a FLIGHT TEST administered by the FAA, it would have to be given by an FAA CHECK PILOT. Now, how and where do you think that the FAA could come up with so many qualified personnel ?

Last edited by Granpooba; 04-14-2016 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:19 PM
fly24-7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Ladies & Gentlemen,

Upon viewing and reading many comments and discussions on various websites in regards to " DRONE'S / MODEL AIRPLANES ", the subject has arisen that it may be necessary to pass an online test to fly a model airplane. Which brings me to the following statement and questions.

1. I hold an ATP Certificate which is an Airline Transport Pilot, issued by the FAA, which entitles me to fly any and all aircraft. I have passed tests for the Private, Multi-Engine, Commercial, Instrument, Instructors and Airline Transport certificates.

2. With all of the above stated, why should it be necessary for me to pass a test to fly a " Radio Controlled Airplane " ?

Finally, I would like to know why the AMA has not launched a NATIONAL program to explain to the general public that it is not the Model Aircraft Hobbyist, but the rogue DRONE operators that are causing all of the air space problems ?

Very much looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

David xxxxxxx
As someone who's been a club instructor for many years, I can attest from first hand experience that holding license to fly full scale aircraft does not automatically make one proficient to fly a model aircraft. In fact, a couple of my students that took the longest to get the hang of it were full scale pilots. They found difficulty from always thinking through the "lens" of a first-person perspective (differences in judging position, banking, decent rates, etc. from behind the windscreen). Also, two little transmitter sticks do not equal a control yoke and foot peddles.

At our club, we have a proficiency requirement. EVERYONE is required to demonstrate proficiency and good judgement in operating their models. From the moment they assemble them for flight to the moment they're done flying for the day. Without this check-off, you fly on a buddy box. If ever I heard, "I don't need this sign-off, I'm a licensed ATP." My response would be, "Then you should be able to pass this proficiency evaluation in your sleep, right?" Then, I worry they have something to hide. If you're a proficient practitioner of model aviation, then you should be willing to demonstrate such.

I recently moved from Chicago to Massachusetts and joined a new club. This rule was applied to me as it would be to anyone else. They didn't know me or have any idea if I knew what I was doing. I had no qualms of demonstrating proficiency. A 20 minute time investment on a Saturday morning took care of that. Now, I start the process of demonstrating that I'm a proficient instructor...

Last edited by fly24-7; 04-14-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by pkoury
Control line models only require FAA registration if they are using an RC link to control any feature on the model i.e. a scale model with retracts, flaps, throttle, bomb drop etc. Free flight, standard control line models, and RC models flown indoors are not required to register.
OK ......... thank you for the information. May just go back to U-Control. Hell, I can fly that in my yards .........
Old 04-14-2016, 01:39 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by fly24-7
As someone who's been a club instructor for many years, I can attest from first hand experience that holding license to fly full scale aircraft does not automatically make one proficient to fly a model aircraft. In fact, a couple of my students that took the longest to get the hang of it were full scale pilots. They found difficulty from always thinking through the "lens" of a first-person perspective (differences in judging position, banking, decent rates, etc. from behind the windscreen). Also, two little transmitter sticks do not equal a control yoke and foot peddles.

At our club, we have a proficiency requirement. EVERYONE is required to demonstrate proficiency and good judgement in operating their models. From the moment they assemble them for flight to the moment they're done flying for the day. Without this check-off, you fly on a buddy box. If ever I heard, "I don't need this sign-off, I'm a licensed ATP." My response would be, "Then you should be able to pass this proficiency evaluation in your sleep, right?" Then, I worry they have something to hide. If you're a proficient practitioner of model aviation, then you should be willing to demonstrate such...
As far as I know, all AMA CHARTER clubs have the same requirements and evaluation. Nothing new !

I am a certificated ATP. BUT !! I also knew my limitations and had no problem with taking any and all instructions to forward my ability to fly RC models. Perhaps many do not know their limitations, but I learned very early in life, that no matter how good you think you are ....... THEIR IS ALWAYS SOMEBODY BETTER !
Old 04-14-2016, 04:36 PM
fly24-7

As far as I know, all AMA CHARTER clubs have the same requirements and evaluation. Nothing new !

I am a certificated ATP. BUT !! I also knew my limitations and had no problem with taking any and all instructions to forward my ability to fly RC models. Perhaps many do not know their limitations, but I learned very early in life, that no matter how good you think you are ....... THEIR IS ALWAYS SOMEBODY BETTER !
Unfortunately, the club I belonged to back in Chicago did not have such an approach. I recommended instituting such a policy and my fellow board members decided that they were more worried about offending members than ensuring that everyone knew what they were doing. And we had members who's checkbooks trumped their skills and sensibilities. The equipment they flew far exceeded their skills and you always headed "under the pavilion" when they flew. We also had members who were excellent pilots that I learned a lot from over the years...

I also had the opportunity to engage in lengthy discussions with Dave Scott, who I met through a mutual friend. Dave runs an RC school in Wisconsin and is an instructional editor for Model Airplane News. I learned a tremendous amount from him as well, particularly on instruction techniques. There are a lot of great resources in the RC community if one is open minded to continued learning.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:47 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by fly24-7
Unfortunately, the club I belonged to back in Chicago did not have such an approach. I recommended instituting such a policy and my fellow board members decided that they were more worried about offending members than ensuring that everyone knew what they were doing. And we had members who's checkbooks trumped their skills and sensibilities. The equipment they flew far exceeded their skills and you always headed "under the pavilion" when they flew. We also had members who were excellent pilots that I learned a lot from over the years...

I also had the opportunity to engage in lengthy discussions with Dave Scott, who I met through a mutual friend. Dave runs an RC school in Wisconsin and is an instructional editor for Model Airplane News. I learned a tremendous amount from him as well, particularly on instruction techniques. There are a lot of great resources in the RC community if one is open minded to continued learning.
One thing that I learned very early in life and happy that I did, because I have applied it to real life, full size aircraft piloting and RC Model flying.

The one thing is ........ especially in aviation is that you ............. " NEVER STOP LEARNING "
Old 04-14-2016, 06:05 PM
jeffEE

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All of this FAA registration crap reminds me of the line from the movie "The American President".... " Well then, congratulations. It's only taken you three years to put together crime prevention legislation that has no hope of preventing crime." Substitute Drone for crime and it works pretty good.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 AM
Granpooba

All of this FAA registration crap reminds me of the line from the movie "The American President".... " Well then, congratulations. It's only taken you three years to put together crime prevention legislation that has no hope of preventing crime." Substitute Drone for crime and it works pretty good.
SO TRUE !

Good movie and now they make them with " Camera Drones ". LOL
Old 04-15-2016, 04:48 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I think some of us are getting too old to be going around in circles!! Especially if some of you have been in this for 40+ years! Good way to fall on your ***** and hurt yourself! I wouldn't want to go back and fly c/l. I am too invested in turbines and large IMAC style planes to give it up. Fortunately, I am also retired and don't have to worry about my certificate or medical to make a living anymore.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:03 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Be interested to hear what specific initiatives the ama should have taken to prevent a huge federal agency from doing what they want. Other than "ban drones/MR" from the AMA, in two years I've yet to see one legitimate meaningful suggestion put out there. And we now know that banning anything would have been useless.
Originally Posted by porcia83;
and it's been answered in these threads as well, repeatedly. Not sure how many times they are going to answer the same question.
Astro
Old 04-15-2016, 05:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Does everyone bagging on the FAA realize that it's not an FAA rule or even proposal y'all are griping about?

It's CONGRESS that (may or may not depending on the final bill) will shove this down the FAA and our throats? Do you think the FAA wants to devote their time and money to administering tests so that we can fly model airplanes?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:54 AM
MTIPilot
My Feedback: (121)

Hi Porcia,

I really don't think a "ban drones" movement is an answer. Instead, as another member stated, the AMA, right off the bat should have educated the FAA, Senate and even the general public on these vast differences. Instead, they took the approach that :"we're all modelers and although we fly different things, we all deserve the protections that the AMA offers. Sounds great, but they really missed the boat with regards to the enhanced capability of autonomous drones. They should have approached them separately, kind of like what they're are trying to do now. Now they're trying to make a distinction between traditional model aircraft and autonomous vehicles, but it's a little late.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:10 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Does everyone bagging on the FAA realize that it's not an FAA rule or even proposal y'all are griping about?

It's CONGRESS that (may or may not depending on the final bill) will shove this down the FAA and our throats? Do you think the FAA wants to devote their time and money to administering tests so that we can fly model airplanes?
Wasn't the FAA directed by Congress to actually come up with a solution to the "drone" issue? Seems like they would have had to have some input as to the content of the bill .

Mike
Old 04-15-2016, 06:25 AM
BarracudaHockey

One would think but they didn't have any input on the exceptions we got out of the last reauthorization bill so....who knows.

I can't see them wanting to take on setting up testing for model airplanes.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:51 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

No, they don't. (on both accounts). It's easy to place the blame at a federal agency just as it's easy to blame all this on the AMA as well. There always has to be a badguy. As for the FAA, of course they don't want to do this. They have far bigger priorities, much more important things to deal with. People seem to think they are this autonomous entity that just cooks up schemes to get more power. My favorite is when people think they are doing this for money...as if they see a penny from any of these programs. They aren't funded by us...they are funded by yes you guessed it, congress!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:03 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by MTIPilot
Hi Porcia,

I really don't think a "ban drones" movement is an answer. Instead, as another member stated, the AMA, right off the bat should have educated the FAA, Senate and even the general public on these vast differences. Instead, they took the approach that :"we're all modelers and although we fly different things, we all deserve the protections that the AMA offers. Sounds great, but they really missed the boat with regards to the enhanced capability of autonomous drones. They should have approached them separately, kind of like what they're are trying to do now. Now they're trying to make a distinction between traditional model aircraft and autonomous vehicles, but it's a little late.
I agree...banning "drones" would have been useless, and futile. I'll disagree on the rest. I've pointed out previously all the steps the AMA has taken in regards to this issue...the fact is nothing they do or have done will ever be enough for most of the folks here. That's just the way it is. Just like the misdirected anger at the FAA, the AMA gets blamed for all the issues now, as if they could have controlled much of what has happened. It's ironic to watch them get hammered for being to small and not sufficiently funded, yet in the same complaint hammered for not being effective enough. As for educating the public...doesn't matter. The public isn't doing much of anything regarding drones, or our hobby...never have, and probably never will. It's a few select politicians that are doing that, and not because of public outcry, but because of big business.

I don't fault the FAA one bit for getting involved and attempting to get their heads around the concept of thousand and thousands of these things screaming around our collective heads. Left unchecked, is there any doubt big business would take EVERY advantage and put their shareholders and their profits ahead of our safety? The problem is our hobby got involved in this NOT because of what we did or didn't do, but because of what we all fly, and the fact that we are in the national airspace as well. That is where the AMA has come into play...working to get exceptions carved out for the membership. Nobody else is doing that, and considering the size and scope of the AMA, in my personal opinion they are doing everything they can on our behalf. Obviously...that's not an opinion shared by most, at least not here.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Wasn't the FAA directed by Congress to actually come up with a solution to the "drone" issue? Seems like they would have had to have some input as to the content of the bill .

Mike
Right, to some degree it's a partnership. Do you recall what has happened in the past when agencies just like the FAA have submitted their findings to congress. At times, they are ignored. Is that the fault of the agency doing the work, or the Congress?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
I think some of us are getting too old to be going around in circles!! Especially if some of you have been in this for 40+ years! Good way to fall on your ***** and hurt yourself! I wouldn't want to go back and fly c/l. I am too invested in turbines and large IMAC style planes to give it up. Fortunately, I am also retired and don't have to worry about my certificate or medical to make a living anymore.
PLEASE, don't hold me to this statement as I only heard it once this past weekend. But, I was told that their is a way to fly U-Control without standing in the middle of the circle. I was TOLD that the lines are connected to a pole in the middle of the circle and the person / pilot flying the model is on the outside of the circle, flying the model by remote control. It is an RC model, just connected to a pole to keep it going around in circles.

Would love to hear is this is true, or the person that told me about it was just blowing smoke up you know where.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:01 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

In most cases an agency will bring up a proposal to the law- making body and if they(congress in this case) thinks it a good idea they direct the agency to come up with guidelines. Does anyone actually think Congress would come up with
regulations entirely on their own, get serious!
Old 04-15-2016, 06:11 PM
BarracudaHockey

If you watched any of the hearings you would know what was going on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.