Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Send " Model Aviation " to Congress & Senate

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Send " Model Aviation " to Congress & Senate

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:57 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Send " Model Aviation " to Congress & Senate

Sitting here paging thru the latest issue of the " AMA Model Aviation " magazine and a thought popped into my head. Perhaps it is a crazy idea or even a stupid one, but was thinking what would the cost be and what harm could it do ?

My thought was, why not have the AMA send a copy of " Model Aviation " to each and every one of our Senators and Congressmen / Women ? Then, if they took the time to look at the magazine they may get a true picture of what the model aviation hobby is really about and the people that are involved in it.

One magazine to each government official may influence them and provide them with a better understanding of the hobby, instead of just the garbage they hear from the news media !

The AMA thus far has spent quite a few dollars in our interests, so why not spend just a few more to try and convince the government that we are not a bunch of radicals, but a group of law abiding citizens that just want to partake / enjoy a hobby that many have for generations. An aviation hobby that needs to be passed on to future generations, not regulated or hindered by the U.S. Government.

" PERSONALLY " thinking that anything and everything at this point in time has to be done to influence the government in our favor and promote the model aviation hobby !
Old 04-23-2016, 12:16 PM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a bad idea, and this months issue has an excellent article by Dave Scott about training new club members and keeping club membership numbers strong.

Not sure about MA's page after page of "drone" ads though...

Last edited by dryverman; 04-23-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:26 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Sitting here paging thru the latest issue of the " AMA Model Aviation " magazine and a thought popped into my head. Perhaps it is a crazy idea or even a stupid one, but was thinking what would the cost be and what harm could it do ?

My thought was, why not have the AMA send a copy of " Model Aviation " to each and every one of our Senators and Congressmen / Women ? Then, if they took the time to look at the magazine they may get a true picture of what the model aviation hobby is really about and the people that are involved in it.

One magazine to each government official may influence them and provide them with a better understanding of the hobby, instead of just the garbage they hear from the news media !

The AMA thus far has spent quite a few dollars in our interests, so why not spend just a few more to try and convince the government that we are not a bunch of radicals, but a group of law abiding citizens that just want to partake / enjoy a hobby that many have for generations. An aviation hobby that needs to be passed on to future generations, not regulated or hindered by the U.S. Government.

" PERSONALLY " thinking that anything and everything at this point in time has to be done to influence the government in our favor and promote the model aviation hobby !
Not a bad idea, but be prepared to hear from a certain segment of the membership about how the AMA sent something out for free, and how much it cost to produce the magazine as well as the postage. These would probably be the same folks that complain about getting the mag (even though they can opt out), and that it's just a useless bunch of ads for "drones".

No matter what they do, it's wrong for some.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by dryverman
Not a bad idea, and this months issue has an excellent article by Dave Scott about training new club members and keeping club membership numbers strong.

Not sure about MA's page after page of drone ads though...
That's one of the best articles I've seen in that MA magazine ever.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:18 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Good idea!
Old 04-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A very proactive common sense suggestion, however since it didn't originate within AMA's Executive branch it will be dutifully ignored. Makes too much sense.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:31 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick T.
A very proactive common sense suggestion, however since it didn't originate within AMA's Executive branch it will be dutifully ignored. Makes too much sense.
LoL...except it's exactly the thing that the EC and other members of AMA have been talking about for years, and writing articles about, and going out and actually doing. This article encapsulated it in one place.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Dick T.
Seems like nothing makes much sense to me that originates in any " Executive " branch.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:35 PM
franklin_m

Seems like nothing makes much sense to me that originates in any " Executive " branch.
Yeah, but look at that beautiful flying site that we pay for them to enjoy- and they don't even pay club dues!
Old 04-23-2016, 03:47 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

"Why does your organization appear to be promoting the type of aircraft that are causing you to contact MY office and spend MY time considering what to do with them...?"...... Senator Blutarski
Old 04-23-2016, 05:18 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by combatpigg
"Why does your organization appear to be promoting the type of aircraft that are causing you to contact MY office and spend MY time considering what to do with them...?"...... Senator Blutarski
Theirs always one bad apple in every barrel ! Trouble these days is that I think even the barrel is starting to rot.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:09 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Yeah, but look at that beautiful flying site that we pay for them to enjoy- and they don't even pay club dues!
The field again? What was you recommendation before, sell the field, get rid of the museum, perhaps move the office space into a strip mall location? This will solve what?
Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 AM
RC Pilot 007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good idea cheap to
Old 04-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by RC Pilot 007
good idea cheap to
Could be even less expensive, if after reading their copy of Model Aviation, every AMA Member sent their copy to their representative in Washington, with a little note stating, this is who we really are.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:05 AM
RC Pilot 007

get ama member do anything very hard. all my club just want fly and complain about cost and every penny club spend. all alike
Old 04-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by RC Pilot 007
get ama member do anything very hard. all my club just want fly and complain about cost and every penny club spend. all alike
That is just human nature in general .............. LOL
Old 04-24-2016, 07:35 PM
RC Pilot 007

yeah but not solve problme
Old 04-25-2016, 03:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

That is just human nature in general .............. LOL
Soo true!
Old 04-25-2016, 04:28 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

I'm all for sending a useless magazine to the Congress. I have unsuccessful tried for years to get the AMA to stop sending the useless magazine to me. When I get it I immediately toss it into the trash can.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:33 AM
RC Pilot 007

i like good article and tell what ama doing. often peopel complain but never read so have no idea what going on
Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
I'm all for sending a useless magazine to the Congress. I have unsuccessful tried for years to get the AMA to stop sending the useless magazine to me. When I get it I immediately toss it into the trash can.
At a minimum, you should check out what's going on in your own district. Why throw them away though, donate them to your local library, middle/high school, or Cub Scout/Boy Scout pack in your area.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:23 AM
rcmiket

I'd be more than happy to send mine but would they actually read it?

Mike
Old 04-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I'd be more than happy to send mine but would they actually read it?

Mike
Not sure. That is I am not sure our representatives in Washington can read ............... LOL

Also, if your happen to catch the most recent " 60 Minutes ", or even the news, you will find out that our representatives are to busy spending half of their time on the phones soliciting dollars for their party and re-elections

Last edited by Granpooba; 04-25-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:08 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by porcia83
At a minimum, you should check out what's going on in your own district. Why throw them away though, donate them to your local library, middle/high school, or Cub Scout/Boy Scout pack in your area.
Great Idea !! But what do you do, add a note that says, " This Was Model Aviation " ?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:12 PM
thepamster

Nice thought but I wonder when was the last time a senator actually opened and read the mail to his/her office. I would bet a very long time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.