Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

I think I find this repulsive......

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I think I find this repulsive......

Old 05-08-2016, 12:06 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by combatpigg
If RC007 isn't Greg Hahn, I'll bet he can at least shed some light on where Hahn went...!
not wort the laughs
Old 05-08-2016, 12:33 PM
LTJeeper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Crap. ('Nuff said)
Old 05-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Chrome_

Drones have been a Godsend for me. I can finally fly a helicopter. I tried conventional helicopters over the years, but just did not have the skill. After the second time of dropping a grand and crashing conventional helis, I kind of gave up.

Enter first generation Phantom. I was elated. The autohome on loss of signal, and self stabilization was just what I needed.I probably,(don't know for sure,) may have taken it up too high a few times, I didn't know any better,but after a few times, the magic was pale. Its not fun flying something you can barely see. The only time I ever looked in someone's back yard was at their request to mess with their kids, unless you count me going straight up to a few hundred feet just to see what the whole neighborhood looked like. I never imagined just how many trees there are here.

And then the a******* started. Why anyone would want to risk there $700 toy over an active airport is beyond me, let alone risk possible fatal damage to an aircraft with people aboard. Pretty much the same thing goes with flying over crowds, in between large buildings in city centers, or very low altitude over other's property. Yes, some people have more money than sense, but still.

Then the FAA registration and possibly new regulations came out. Aside from the actual registration component, I'm not sure if there actually what regulations there were prior, but I know them now. I am sorry if it has messed with the flight hobby in general. It has messed with me as well. I used to like to fly in my driveway, despite the size of my drones, to practice basic maneuvers. I can't do that anymore,(Or maybe I shouldn't have before, again I'm not sure.)According to the FAA's website, I'm within about 3 miles or more from a municipal airport, 2 hospitals, and a charter helicopter service.

Now, I don't want to cause any aircraft to crash, and I would ditch my quads rather than risk a loss life or limb, even if I was out in BFE. I have to take slight umbrage with the 5 mile radius though. The don't fly within five miles of an airport is not absolute, but you are supposed to contact air traffic control. Now, I asked the FAA for clarification and contacted these four flight centers in attempt to streamline notification. The municipal airport told me I needed to contact the main airport in my area,(Eppley). I never got to anyone that would answer my question. One hospital told me to contact security later, and was told its not their problem. The other hospital literally said "What?" And the charter helicopter service's number was disconnected. The FAA also said that, yes, I need to contact Air Traffic Control.

To fly in my driveway. When I did fly in my driveway, and even out in an open field, I rarely go above 50'. The way I see it, if you are flying a full sized aircraft within a few hundred feet AGL above my house, it's either an extremely unusual circumstance,(police helicopter, life flight) or a live pilot would be screwing up, not me.

At the same time, it brought to my attention, and many others, what the rules are. I have obtained a membership/sort of pilots license with a local club, I bought a few years of AMA membership, registered with the FAA, and marked all 5 of my applicable quads.

Bottom line: I follow regulations and the like. I generally fly solo or with a friend or two in safe unrestricted airspace. And the only danger I represent is to my multicopters being crashed into the ground. Yes there are plenty of idiots, but some of you guys should embrace us newer pilots, not revile us. Let us have a crack at your fixed wing, we'll let you fly our multicopters, or at least I would. Educate us if we are doing stupid things. Its all about fun.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrome_
Drones have been a Godsend for me. I can finally fly a helicopter. I tried conventional helicopters over the years, but just did not have the skill. After the second time of dropping a grand and crashing conventional helis, I kind of gave up.

Enter first generation Phantom. I was elated. The autohome on loss of signal, and self stabilization was just what I needed.I probably,(don't know for sure,) may have taken it up too high a few times, I didn't know any better,but after a few times, the magic was pale. Its not fun flying something you can barely see. The only time I ever looked in someone's back yard was at their request to mess with their kids, unless you count me going straight up to a few hundred feet just to see what the whole neighborhood looked like. I never imagined just how many trees there are here.

And then the a******* started. Why anyone would want to risk there $700 toy over an active airport is beyond me, let alone risk possible fatal damage to an aircraft with people aboard. Pretty much the same thing goes with flying over crowds, in between large buildings in city centers, or very low altitude over other's property. Yes, some people have more money than sense, but still.

Then the FAA registration and possibly new regulations came out. Aside from the actual registration component, I'm not sure if there actually what regulations there were prior, but I know them now. I am sorry if it has messed with the flight hobby in general. It has messed with me as well. I used to like to fly in my driveway, despite the size of my drones, to practice basic maneuvers. I can't do that anymore,(Or maybe I shouldn't have before, again I'm not sure.)According to the FAA's website, I'm within about 3 miles or more from a municipal airport, 2 hospitals, and a charter helicopter service.

Now, I don't want to cause any aircraft to crash, and I would ditch my quads rather than risk a loss life or limb, even if I was out in BFE. I have to take slight umbrage with the 5 mile radius though. The don't fly within five miles of an airport is not absolute, but you are supposed to contact air traffic control. Now, I asked the FAA for clarification and contacted these four flight centers in attempt to streamline notification. The municipal airport told me I needed to contact the main airport in my area,(Eppley). I never got to anyone that would answer my question. One hospital told me to contact security later, and was told its not their problem. The other hospital literally said "What?" And the charter helicopter service's number was disconnected. The FAA also said that, yes, I need to contact Air Traffic Control.

To fly in my driveway. When I did fly in my driveway, and even out in an open field, I rarely go above 50'. The way I see it, if you are flying a full sized aircraft within a few hundred feet AGL above my house, it's either an extremely unusual circumstance,(police helicopter, life flight) or a live pilot would be screwing up, not me.

At the same time, it brought to my attention, and many others, what the rules are. I have obtained a membership/sort of pilots license with a local club, I bought a few years of AMA membership, registered with the FAA, and marked all 5 of my applicable quads.

Bottom line: I follow regulations and the like. I generally fly solo or with a friend or two in safe unrestricted airspace. And the only danger I represent is to my multicopters being crashed into the ground. Yes there are plenty of idiots, but some of you guys should embrace us newer pilots, not revile us. Let us have a crack at your fixed wing, we'll let you fly our multicopters, or at least I would. Educate us if we are doing stupid things. Its all about fun.
+1. And here I thought nobody who flew "drones" would be joining the AMA?

Welcome to the hobby, there's lots of room for everyone.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:30 AM
Sport_Pilot

If you are an FAA member just tell the airport you are flying no more than 50 feet around your house and you are good. As long as you don't fly over your neighbors property that is.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:13 AM
Chrome_

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
As long as you don't fly over your neighbors property that is.
Certainly not. Sorry for the wall of text, but as I said, the only time I have flown over a neighbors property was at his request for non-commercial purposes. I just wanted to get across that not all of us multicopter fliers are jackwagons.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:22 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Certainly not. Sorry for the wall of text, but as I said, the only time I have flown over a neighbors property was at his request for non-commercial purposes. I just wanted to get across that not all of us multicopter fliers are jackwagons.
I've still yet to see ANY multi-rotor flying and I log 100s of miles every week / weekend driving all over the countryside in suburban / rural areas..
Where is this massive, irresistible Drone Market that the AMA felt they needed to get us associated with...?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 AM
rcmiket

I've still yet to see ANY multi-rotor flying and I log 100s of miles every week / weekend driving all over the countryside in suburban / rural areas..
Where is this massive, irresistible Drone Market that the AMA felt they needed to get us associated with...?
Same here. There are "millions".......................Where they at? Another great point is the total failure of the Best Buy / AMA Campaign over the holidays. "Droners" given a FREE membership did not redeem the coupons.
Chrome from your post you seem to understand the rules ( yes some are silly) and respect people in your pursuit of the hobby. Thanks for doing that. It's the morons that don't that are the problem.
Mike
Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Same here. There are "millions".......................Where they at? Another great point is the total failure of the Best Buy / AMA Campaign over the holidays. "Droners" given a FREE membership did not redeem the coupons.
Chrome from your post you seem to understand the rules ( yes some are silly) and respect people in your pursuit of the hobby. Thanks for doing that. It's the morons that don't that are the problem.
Mike
In your travels are you going to any organized clubs? That's probably where you will see a lot of them.

The flip side of course is that maybe there isn't this big safety issue that everyone keeps talking about, ie all these irresponsible "droners" out there flying recklessly. Someone has to be flying them, didn't something like 300,000 of these get sold last year?

Is there any possibility they are following the rules and some common sense?
Old 05-12-2016, 09:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

There are millions of model aircraft as well, but I only see them if I drive to an R/C field. Even then only two or three flying at most, in fact most of the time none. I would guess that 99.9999999999$ are at home in the garage or closet. So same thing for drones.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:25 AM
combatpigg

There are millions of model aircraft as well, but I only see them if I drive to an R/C field. Even then only two or three flying at most, in fact most of the time none. I would guess that 99.9999999999$ are at home in the garage or closet. So same thing for drones.
Wrong.
Seeing a certain amount of traditional RC is not the same as seeing ZERO drone flying.
I'm talking about a sample size of years of observation, too.
I DO see human beings outside playing all the time, so maybe they are hiding their millions of drones from me when they hear me coming..?
LOL.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:12 PM
Chrome_

I won't try to defend what some bad people have done, but I think its mostly hype. Kind of like hearing about a car accident on the news a thousand miles away. I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

What people don't see are more innocuous uses of drones. I saw a bit of an NFL game last fall; there was obvious live footage of one team on the field filmed by a drone complete with stadium lights creating an unmistakeable silhouette of a Phantom variant in the frame. But since its a billion dollar industry, I guess that's ok.

Aerial flight is aerial flight. Chalk it up to people wetting their pants over something that is not really that big of a deal most of the time because the media splashes it everywhere. Trust me, this upsets me just as much as folks who have been RC flying for decades.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:06 PM
rcmiket

I won't try to defend what some bad people have done, but I think its mostly hype. Kind of like hearing about a car accident on the news a thousand miles away. I'm not exaggerating when I say that.

What people don't see are more innocuous uses of drones. I saw a bit of an NFL game last fall; there was obvious live footage of one team on the field filmed by a drone complete with stadium lights creating an unmistakeable silhouette of a Phantom variant in the frame. But since its a billion dollar industry, I guess that's ok.

Aerial flight is aerial flight. Chalk it up to people wetting their pants over something that is not really that big of a deal most of the time because the media splashes it everywhere. Trust me, this upsets me just as much as folks who have been RC flying for decades.
http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/10/model-hit-by-drone-face/

No it's no OK to be completely irresponsible just because your a "billion dollar industry". This kinda crap reflects on all of us.

Mike
Old 05-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Chrome_

I meant that more as sarcasm. An amazing amount of things are not ok for the little guys, unless you have a fat wallet , then it magically becomes ok.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:24 PM
combatpigg

During the past month in the One Billion Dollar Drone Forum there have been 7 threads started.

A couple of them have zero replies.

LOL...!
Old 05-12-2016, 04:28 PM
Chrome_

That was mostly meant as sarcasm. I doubt field hockey or badminton could pay for the privilege.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rcmiket
http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/10/model-hit-by-drone-face/

No it's no OK to be completely irresponsible just because your a "billion dollar industry". This kinda crap reflects on all of us.

Mike
I didn't see one story about that incident that reflected on our hobby, even in the comment sections. Not everything that happens with a quad automatically reflects on the hobby, or the AMA. That's just more of the same blame narrative. What that incident reflects is the carelessness of one pilot, not 187,000 members of the AMA.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:50 PM
RC Pilot 007

i like badmitton. field hocky hurt ball hard
Old 05-13-2016, 04:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Wrong.
Seeing a certain amount of traditional RC is not the same as seeing ZERO drone flying.
I'm talking about a sample size of years of observation, too.
I DO see human beings outside playing all the time, so maybe they are hiding their millions of drones from me when they hear me coming..?
LOL.
It is the same thing because nobody see's model airplanes flying and nobody goes to the flying fields, except modlers.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:12 AM
combatpigg

It is the same thing because nobody see's model airplanes flying and nobody goes to the flying fields, except modlers.
Baloney.
I fly at several fields that are within plain eyesight of major highways and foot traffic.
90% of my flying venues are situated like so.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Baloney.
I fly at several fields that are within plain eyesight of major highways and foot traffic.
I'd venture a guess 90% of all fields are not withing eyesight of major highways or foot traffic. Of the several fields you fly at, or MR's allowed? If so, how does the membership react to them?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:10 PM
Sport_Pilot

Baloney.
Well here there are no such fields and I believe that is the case for most. But you see drones in the parks, and you see professional drones at the stadiums. Nobody see's model airplanes. You just don't go where the drones are.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well here there are no such fields and I believe that is the case for most. But you see drones in the parks, and you see professional drones at the stadiums. Nobody see's model airplanes. You just don't go where the drones are.
+1. If you aren't looking for them, they are not going to be seen. I don't see control line or free flight planes around here unless I go looking for where I know they will be.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:05 PM
combatpigg

The very first field on the list of Georgia RC fields I just looked at is BCMA
It looks to me that their runway is less than a 1/4 mile from a propane dealer and a sprawling neighborhood.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

The very first field on the list of Georgia RC fields I just looked at is BCMA
It looks to me that their runway is less than a 1/4 mile from a propane dealer and a sprawling neighborhood.
The very first field within 10 miles of Arlington.WA looks nowhere near a major highway, and they fly quads and FPV.

http://ermarc.net/

Second field, no major highway. Clubs website notes "all types of RC aircraft allowed, but doesn't list MR/FPV (perhaps site not updated)

http://aercf.org/

This one looks to be about 10 minutes from a busy route.

http://www.cascademodelheli.org/

Again, isn't it good that you are not seeing MR and Drones everywhere you turn? That scenario is exactly what the FAA is trying to deal with isn't it?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.