Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page > Statement Issued : British Airways " DID NOT " Strike Drone !
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Statement Issued : British Airways " DID NOT " Strike Drone !

Old 05-04-2016, 03:40 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Statement Issued : British Airways " DID NOT " Strike Drone !

A British Airways jet reported to have hit an object as it came in to land at Heathrow Airport earlier this month did not strike a drone as first thought, the British government said Thursday.
The pilot of an Airbus A320 flying from Geneva reported a collision as the plane was approaching the airport on April 17. The plane was not damaged and was cleared to fly again after an inspection.
Police said the jet was believed to have hit a drone. They searched a nearby park for debris and encouraged anyone who found drone parts to hand them in.
The incident sparked calls for tighter controls on unmanned aerial vehicles. Police Chief Superintendent Martin Hendry said the incident "highlights the very real dangers of reckless, negligent and sometimes malicious use of drones."
But Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin told lawmakers that it is now thought "that was not a drone incident."
Last week, junior Transport Minister Robert Goodwill speculated that the plane might have struck a plastic bag.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said Thursday that it had ended its investigation into the incident.
"We made initial inquiries but there was insufficient information on what object was involved for us to take it further," it said in a statement.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:54 AM
flyinwalenda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As usual ,those involved jump to conclusions when a plane hits or just sees something pass close by.........it was or had to be a "drone" . Then the lamestream media takes it and runs with it without any fact checking to get/keep the sheeple excited and fearful. Then when the facts finally come out it is not front page or top of the hour newsworthy.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:13 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
As usual ,those involved jump to conclusions when a plane hits or just sees something pass close by.........it was or had to be a "drone" . Then the lamestream media takes it and runs with it without any fact checking to get/keep the sheeple excited and fearful. Then when the facts finally come out it is not front page or top of the hour newsworthy.
"lamestream media"...a new one, right up there with "sheeple".

Oddly enough there have been plenty of follow up stories on this particular case noting that the "drone" was actually a plastic bag.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Drones sightings from airliner pilots are now more common than UFO sightings. IMO most of them are actually UFO's that the pilot was afraid to call an UFO.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:21 AM
Granpooba

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot View Post
Drones sightings from airliner pilots are now more common than UFO sightings. IMO most of them are actually UFO's that the pilot was afraid to call an UFO.
Wrong !!!!!!!!! Its the martians on the ground, practicing flying their radio controlled UFO's . LOL
Old 05-13-2016, 04:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
Wrong !!!!!!!!! Its the martians on the ground, practicing flying their radio controlled UFO's . LOL
UFO is unidentified flying object. Most are not even remotely considered alien. But because others think all are flying aliens, then plastic bags get tagged as a drone instead of what it actually is, a UFO.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:56 AM
skylark-flier

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hm, (tongue in cheek) maybe governments need to think about a whole new division of regulations to keep the world safe from flying plastic bags.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:35 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by Granpooba View Post
A British Airways jet reported to have hit an object as it came in to land at Heathrow Airport earlier this month did not strike a drone as first thought, the British government said Thursday.
The pilot of an Airbus A320 flying from Geneva reported a collision as the plane was approaching the airport on April 17. The plane was not damaged and was cleared to fly again after an inspection.
Police said the jet was believed to have hit a drone. They searched a nearby park for debris and encouraged anyone who found drone parts to hand them in.
The incident sparked calls for tighter controls on unmanned aerial vehicles. Police Chief Superintendent Martin Hendry said the incident "highlights the very real dangers of reckless, negligent and sometimes malicious use of drones."
But Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin told lawmakers that it is now thought "that was not a drone incident."
Last week, junior Transport Minister Robert Goodwill speculated that the plane might have struck a plastic bag.
The Air Accidents Investigation Branch said Thursday that it had ended its investigation into the incident.
"We made initial inquiries but there was insufficient information on what object was involved for us to take it further," it said in a statement.
Great news!