Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Awful new AMA sUAS website

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Awful new AMA sUAS website

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 05:17 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Another thought to add ,

I wasn't going to post in this thread because I knew it would end up like all the other threads where someone tries to point out a mistake or other misdoing by the AMA . The reason I did post here is because Franklin has attacked no one here , all the man did was point out something he felt wasn't right , and I thought he deserved better than to be called a troll for pointing out the clunky website . Some folks looked at his complaint and saw that it had merit . Some folks looked at his complaint and immediately attacked him personally for it , calling him a troll and questioning his loyalty to the AMA , as though loyalty means supporting both the good and the bad . I think what the folks who see red at any mention of an AMA mistake are missing is that loyalty means caring enough that mistakes should be called out , rectified , and all the better for everyone . Is there some advantage to us members not having timely reports of the working details of our organization ? Is it Franklin's fault that the insurance report is almost a decade late ? Does a clunky poorly laid out site do our image as "cutting edge technologists" any favors ? RC Ken is right and has shown FAR more patience and tolerance tword us than we have shown each other and of all of us , it's Franklin whose behaved most "above board" and doesn't deserve the attacks he got for pointing out mistakes our money has paid for . I guess at the end of the day it does come down to loyalty , are we loyal enough to examine and rectify any and all mistakes our organization makes , or are we content with whatever we get for fear of being called , of all things , disloyal ?

And now , to end on a happy note , here's some nice old transmitters whose days have come and gone , enjoying a nice quiet retirement as display pieces ....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Old TXs.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	542.7 KB
ID:	2163071  
Old 05-18-2016, 05:54 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
...we're back to salary shaming and comparing apples to bananas? ...and noting all of your perceived issues and errors they have committed. So far....you've managed to get them to correct a broken link and a misspelling. What positive change to you hope to affect?
Interesting choice of words, "shame." Given that the definition of shame involves "feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior," then are you saying that the disparity between the performance and what we paid for that performance involves consciousness by the ED of wrong or foolish behavior? This is a simple issue, and it's about what we're paying for him to do vice what he isn't delivering. Again, the ED's job is to manage the staff. And what is their performance? A important survey of member thoughts on drones they promised they would post in 2014 still isn't up almost two years later. Insurance reports that were published for several years, they haven't published in nearly a decade. Or that clunky website. This is net savvy group they say they're targeting (youth, millennials, etc.), yet it's not even mobile friendly. And there's not much attention to detail - an official press release announcing it and the electronic links within it don't work.

On the reports, some say they're proprietary. Well, they they shouldn't be posted at all, and yet they were, annually for several years. You can't have it both ways. Either they are or they aren't. If they are, then the staff was wrong to post them each year for several years (again, where was ED in allowing leak of proprietary information). On the other hand, if indeed it's not, then why haven't they been posted for nearly a decade (again, where's the ED?).

And the survey. It wasn't me or the members that said it would be posted in 2014, it was the AMA. It's on the site. Their words. So does this mean you're ok with them spending money to do a survey, promising to post the results, and then just blowing it off? Apparently so.

Additionally, you ask what I hope to accomplish. Simple: Accountability to the members who pay the bills. Of which one is me, you are (apparently) another, and others on this forum are as well. They dropped Wounded Warrior Project as a charity after reports of money not going where it was expected to go. Yet I'm wrong for questioning money going to Muncie to pay salaries for jobs that are not getting done? How is that any different? It isn't.

And while you belittle changes as a couple links and a misspelling, I noted from the recent minutes there was a discussion of quantifying risk from turbines and EDFs based on kinetic energy. That came from a discussion I had via phone with the EVP several months ago. I also noted that until I sent it via the "Contact AMA" feature, the NOTAMS on the website were out of date, incomplete, and downright wrong. They've since removed some of the expired ones and cleaned up a bit. Still not perfect, but this important safety of flight information is more current.

Lastly, you asked why I haven't contacted Chad on these issues. Simple: he's responsible for Government Affairs and Public Relations, not responsible for the overall performance of the staff.

I'm questioning how much money we're paying for people to do jobs that are clearly not being done. If you pay someone to mow your grass and they just don't do it...am I to understand you're an advocate of paying them anyway? Your arguments would seem to indicate so.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:33 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Interesting choice of words, "shame." Given that the definition of shame involves "feeling of humiliation or distress caused by the consciousness of wrong or foolish behavior," then are you saying that the disparity between the performance and what we paid for that performance involves consciousness by the ED of wrong or foolish behavior? This is a simple issue, and it's about what we're paying for him to do vice what he isn't delivering. Again, the ED's job is to manage the staff. And what is their performance? A important survey of member thoughts on drones they promised they would post in 2014 still isn't up almost two years later. Insurance reports that were published for several years, they haven't published in nearly a decade. Or that clunky website. This is net savvy group they say they're targeting (youth, millennials, etc.), yet it's not even mobile friendly. And there's not much attention to detail - an official press release announcing it and the electronic links within it don't work.

On the reports, some say they're proprietary. Well, they they shouldn't be posted at all, and yet they were, annually for several years. You can't have it both ways. Either they are or they aren't. If they are, then the staff was wrong to post them each year for several years (again, where was ED in allowing leak of proprietary information). On the other hand, if indeed it's not, then why haven't they been posted for nearly a decade (again, where's the ED?).

And the survey. It wasn't me or the members that said it would be posted in 2014, it was the AMA. It's on the site. Their words. So does this mean you're ok with them spending money to do a survey, promising to post the results, and then just blowing it off? Apparently so.

Additionally, you ask what I hope to accomplish. Simple: Accountability to the members who pay the bills. Of which one is me, you are (apparently) another, and others on this forum are as well. They dropped Wounded Warrior Project as a charity after reports of money not going where it was expected to go. Yet I'm wrong for questioning money going to Muncie to pay salaries for jobs that are not getting done? How is that any different? It isn't.

And while you belittle changes as a couple links and a misspelling, I noted from the recent minutes there was a discussion of quantifying risk from turbines and EDFs based on kinetic energy. That came from a discussion I had via phone with the EVP several months ago. I also noted that until I sent it via the "Contact AMA" feature, the NOTAMS on the website were out of date, incomplete, and downright wrong. They've since removed some of the expired ones and cleaned up a bit. Still not perfect, but this important safety of flight information is more current.

Lastly, you asked why I haven't contacted Chad on these issues. Simple: he's responsible for Government Affairs and Public Relations, not responsible for the overall performance of the staff.

I'm questioning how much money we're paying for people to do jobs that are clearly not being done. If you pay someone to mow your grass and they just don't do it...am I to understand you're an advocate of paying them anyway? Your arguments would seem to indicate so.
Speaking of money spent. I received a bag of "club officer pins" because apparently the AMA feels we club officers are not shown enough love.

Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 06:51 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Speaking of money spent. I received a bag of "club officer pins" because apparently the AMA feels we club officers are not shown enough love.

Mike
Not disparaging club officer work at all...it's thankless. But I ran the numbers...

As of this morning, AMA's website shows 2207 clubs. If there are four officers per club that got pins, that's 8828 pins. I did a quick search for recognition pins. Using this one as an example, and plugging in an order of 8828, it's just over $8,000. Then add labor to sort them and mail each one to the 2207 clubs.

So, we can buy a bunch of pins or we could put that same $8,000 into field grants (from $23K to $31K) - almost a 35% increase. And they chose pins?

https://www.4imprint.com/product/127...160518144548:s

Last edited by franklin_m; 05-18-2016 at 06:53 AM. Reason: forgot link to sample pin, added number for grants
Old 05-18-2016, 06:52 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot
This country is now full of a bunch of complaining protestors. I support the AMA and their efforts. You should too.

When is the last time you saw a group of people show up to support anything.

Why don't you ask to work at the AMA and try to fix whatever it is you think the organization is doing wrong.

Sad, just sad.

SunDevilPilot
SDP I's wich ya. Let thems thats doo'n als the crit-i-zizng her volinter to do it better. don't seems ta me's thm's that's cry'ng the loudest theys shuds bees volintering theirs services fer FREE. At leas designs som sorta web site and Put's it on line and let's see if ya all cans bees dowin bettr thans thems I paid Profesinals. Don't seem to hard fer all the guys here beithc'n and noth'n but whin'n aboutsevery thing and nutten in particular. Ther I'ss hads my Say.
SDP I shal be returning in just a mear 4 months, 29 days. Think I'lls bes in time fer the NewPort Maiden.

Last edited by HoundDog; 05-18-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:56 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by init4fun
Another thought to add ,

I wasn't going to post in this thread because I knew it would end up like all the other threads where someone tries to point out a mistake or other misdoing by the AMA . The reason I did post here is because Franklin has attacked no one here , all the man did was point out something he felt wasn't right , and I thought he deserved better than to be called a troll for pointing out the clunky website . Some folks looked at his complaint and saw that it had merit . Some folks looked at his complaint and immediately attacked him personally for it , calling him a troll and questioning his loyalty to the AMA , as though loyalty means supporting both the good and the bad . I think what the folks who see red at any mention of an AMA mistake are missing is that loyalty means caring enough that mistakes should be called out , rectified , and all the better for everyone . Is there some advantage to us members not having timely reports of the working details of our organization ? Is it Franklin's fault that the insurance report is almost a decade late ? Does a clunky poorly laid out site do our image as "cutting edge technologists" any favors ? RC Ken is right and has shown FAR more patience and tolerance tword us than we have shown each other and of all of us , it's Franklin whose behaved most "above board" and doesn't deserve the attacks he got for pointing out mistakes our money has paid for . I guess at the end of the day it does come down to loyalty , are we loyal enough to examine and rectify any and all mistakes our organization makes , or are we content with whatever we get for fear of being called , of all things , disloyal ?

And now , to end on a happy note , here's some nice old transmitters whose days have come and gone , enjoying a nice quiet retirement as display pieces ....
Why should they be relegated to display only? Use them! There is a fellow here (Dr.E) who has huge collection of these oldie but goodies, I lost count after 50. He has kits that he uses to retrofit the older units to use 2.4 technology, telemetry etc.

Along that line, have you seen this?

http://www.jramericas.com/235042/JRP07432/?pcat=2

$800.00....for a 6 ch....YIKES ! I've had one in my hand, looks and feels great...but seems pricey for what you get. I do like the older colors (red and blue)
Old 05-18-2016, 07:04 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Not disparaging club officer work at all...it's thankless. But I ran the numbers...

As of this morning, AMA's website shows 2207 clubs. If there are four officers per club that got pins, that's 8828 pins. I did a quick search for recognition pins. Using this one as an example, and plugging in an order of 8828, it's just over $8,000. Then add labor to sort them and mail each one to the 2207 clubs.

So, we can buy a bunch of pins or we could put that same $8,000 into field grants (from $23K to $31K) - almost a 35% increase. And they chose pins?

Not to disparage...but then go on to pretty much disparage.

LoL....unbelievable. More random numbers, more complaints. How dare they recognize club officers.

Since you brought up the work being thankless, have you ever been elected to a club position?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by fragile
T

The Drones are one of the greatest invention of mankind, and they are here to stay!

This is the future of RC. The Drone events now are world wide, and the prize money is in millions of dollars.

Greatest invention of mankind? Wow.
Just how long will the "millions of dollars" in prize money last with no spectators? Show me one event were there is a spectator count. I keep seeing sentences like " biggest crowd ever" and such but never any numbers. Take a look in the magazines pictures of a couple of dozen guys with goggles on and nobody else. Everyones hitching the horse to this and it ani't happening.

Mike
Originally Posted by combatpigg

Delusions of grandeur.
Sorta what the Free Flight and C/L guys were saying in the 50's To expensive crash too much won't ever be worth hit. Just saying times change .. Faster when the O'l Farts die or just get with the program. If U don't try to be part of progress U are the Problem. Remember The world prefers a Joiner and shuns a Whiner.
Just Say'n:
Some of us O'L Farts will just have to move on to that great R/C Field in the sky.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:11 AM
rcmiket

I would have much rather seen the money go to the field grant fund also.

Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 08:02 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
It is laughable that you think a poll on this forum really means anything.
It's 1000 times more than anything you've got to back your opinions.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:06 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

An important principle of effective leadership is recognizing those who contribute to the overall success of an organization. I'm glad to see the AMA leadership recognizes this and is offering a small token of their appreciation to those who make things happen.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 AM
combatpigg

Not jibber jabber I made it clear that his lie was not on purpose. Of course you did not comment on the fact that the AMA has no such policy to require membership for over 55 pound models. Just some AMA person making such a claim, which does not make it policy.
Still with the same jibber jabber.
You accused him of telling a lie.
Your "but maybe not on purpose" part is just illiterate jibber jabber, since people do not tell "accidental lies".
Old 05-18-2016, 08:12 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

"Drumbeat"...?
You mean like the poll that shows 75% of the respondents who think the AMA mishandled this drone issue...?
Yes, this thread is "Small Potatoes" compared to the bigger issue but it none-the-less points to incompetent leadership.
I conducted my own poll and it shows exactly the opposite. In fact, 100% of the respondents said the AMA did the right thing.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:15 AM
combatpigg

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I conducted my own poll and it shows exactly the opposite. In fact, 100% of the respondents said the AMA did the right thing.
Clicking on this bait was 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:22 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Clicking on this bait was 30 seconds of my life I'll never get back.
And it was the best 30 seconds of your life so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

My poll results are what they are, 100% in favor.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:27 AM
franklin_m

Well there was that AMA poll on the subject....where they said there were 3,000 responses.

Oh wait...it's two years past the AMA's own promised posting date and it's still not there.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:29 AM
franklin_m

An important principle of effective leadership is recognizing those who contribute to the overall success of an organization. I'm glad to see the AMA leadership recognizes this and is offering a small token of their appreciation to those who make things happen.
My point was that how they spend their money is a reflection of their priorities. They could have put more money into where people actually participate in the hobby the organization promotes - but they chose recognition pins instead.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

My point was that how they spend their money is a reflection of their priorities. They could have put more money into where people actually participate in the hobby the organization promotes - but they chose recognition pins instead.
My point is great leadership understands the principle that states: "people are always more important than things". A small token of recognition for a job well done goes a long way towards strengthening an organization for returns over the long haul.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:54 AM
franklin_m

My point is great leadership understands the principle that states: "people are always more important than things". A small token of recognition for a job well done goes a long way towards strengthening an organization for returns over the long haul.
And the best leadership recognizes that it's not impersonal trinkets, but rather things like a handwritten note that carry the most weight. One of my most treasured recognitions was a hand written note from a four star - and they cost nothing. When I was chief of staff, if I really wanted powerful statement of thanks, I'd ask the flag to write a hand written note on his stationary. It was more meaningful because it was personal - and took his time. Not something you buy in bulk off ebay.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:01 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

And the best leadership recognizes that it's not impersonal trinkets, but rather things like a handwritten note that carry the most weight. One of my most treasured recognitions was a hand written note from a four star - and they cost nothing. When I was chief of staff, if I really wanted powerful statement of thanks, I'd ask the flag to write a hand written note on his stationary. It was more meaningful because it was personal - and took his time. Not something you buy in bulk off ebay.
Hate to break it to you, but those letters are often written by secretaries. They are not sent out to thousands either. You entered your FAA comments on-line right?

So what's holding you up from starting your own CBO so you can show everyone how it's done?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

I post AMA documents and you post polls on a site frequented mostly by AMA ha-- er doubters..
Old 05-18-2016, 09:13 AM
franklin_m

Hate to break it to you, but those letters are often written by secretaries. They are not sent out to thousands either. You entered your FAA comments on-line right?

So what's holding you up from starting your own CBO so you can show everyone how it's done?

(a) "Those letters are often written by secretaries" - perhaps in your experience, not in mine. My flag wrote every one. When I was in charge I wrote every one.

(b) "You entered your FAA comments on line" - has absolutely nothing to do with recognitions methods or items

(c) "What's holding you up from starting your own CBO" - I have a job that I like quite a lot. Not willing to take the pay cut to do the AMA job.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:23 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

(a) "Those letters are often written by secretaries" - perhaps in your experience, not in mine. My flag wrote every one. When I was in charge I wrote every one.

How often did you or your Flag hand write 8,828 individual personalized letters at one time?

(b) "You entered your FAA comments on line" - has absolutely nothing to do with recognitions methods or items

It has everything to do with personalizing one's thoughts and feelings.

(c) "What's holding you up from starting your own CBO" - I have a job that I like quite a lot. Not willing to take the pay cut to do the AMA job.

With your own CBO it will your job and your own ED salary.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:28 AM
combatpigg

I post AMA documents and you post polls on a site frequented mostly by AMA ha-- er doubters..
What documents...?
you mean the results of the poll they have conveniently "forgotten" to post the results of...?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:32 AM
Sport_Pilot

What documents...?
you mean the results of the poll they have conveniently "forgotten" to post the results of...?
No like the rules for inspecting over 55 pound models.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.