Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Awful new AMA sUAS website

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Awful new AMA sUAS website

Old 05-18-2016, 09:46 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
No like the rules for inspecting over 55 pound models.
He accidentally misquotes a rule that not many members could recite and you could not WAIT to label him a liar.
Now THAT is the no-spin truth about this matter.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:56 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I would have much rather seen the money go to the field grant fund also.

Mike
Originally Posted by franklin_m
Not disparaging club officer work at all...it's thankless. But I ran the numbers...

As of this morning, AMA's website shows 2207 clubs. If there are four officers per club that got pins, that's 8828 pins. I did a quick search for recognition pins. Using this one as an example, and plugging in an order of 8828, it's just over $8,000. Then add labor to sort them and mail each one to the 2207 clubs.

So, we can buy a bunch of pins or we could put that same $8,000 into field grants (from $23K to $31K) - almost a 35% increase. And they chose pins?

https://www.4imprint.com/product/127...160518144548:s

[QUOTE=rcmiket;12214984]I would have much rather seen the money go to the field grant fund also.

Mike

If Officers change every couple or ever year (one club has a 2 term year limit on the President and VP Elected in different years) then U spend at least half of that every year. answer charge the Individual clubs $3 for each now Officer. Simple ain't it.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by combatpigg
He accidentally misquotes a rule that not many members could recite and you could not WAIT to label him a liar.
Now THAT is the no-spin truth about this matter.
That is most certainly spin, because I never called him a liar. Also to be clear it was not franklin that misquoted but the AMA web guy.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 05-18-2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:48 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I have to agree with Franklin in this one. The three things I cherish the most out of of my time in the navy are my DD214 that shows an Honorable Discharge and two letters of recognition from two different admirals. Even if they weren't hand written, they were hand signed and, in one case, presented by the Admiral that signed it. A pin, mailed across the country, doesn't mean "squat" to me because they were sent out to thousands for doing no more than holding an office in a local club. I've held offices in the past and, to me, it's not a big deal. You accept a post and do the job until the next person takes over. If a cheap little pin makes your day, knowing everyone else across the country got one too, so be it
Old 05-18-2016, 12:56 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I have to agree with Franklin in this one. The three things I cherish the most out of of my time in the navy are my DD214 that shows an Honorable Discharge and two letters of recognition from two different admirals. Even if they weren't hand written, they were hand signed and, in one case, presented by the Admiral that signed it. A pin, mailed across the country, doesn't mean "squat" to me because they were sent out to thousands for doing no more than holding an office in a local club. I've held offices in the past and, to me, it's not a big deal. You accept a post and do the job until the next person takes over. If a cheap little pin makes your day, knowing everyone else across the country got one too, so be it
It's not how each person is going to react to getting a "cheap" little pin, it's the fact that someone in a higher leadership position took the time to reach out to those in positions of leadership at the club level and say thanks.

Are we really at a point where we are going to nit pick to death even the things that most normal people would say was a good thing?

I wouldn't be shocked to see complaints if a handwritten note was sent, ie the cost of the note, the postage costs, the time it took someone to write it to all these people and how much better the time would have been spent diving up grant money for clubs. Absolutely absurd.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:07 PM
HoundDog

Honestly I just don't see how you can come up with "most" ? I think "most" of us tend to agree with him.

Mike
That's exactly why very few answer or enter Forums like this they pretty much get fed up with the BS and AMA Bashing that goes on. U may not know it but U just riled one of the comets easy going down to earth guys in this hobby. If U had ocation to meet SDP U'd under stand my statement.

I have on ocation taken the AMA and it's leader ship to task but not like the consent discontent I've seen here in the past years. Again if some one is not satisfied with the way or what an organization, they belong to, is doing or headed then they have but 3 ways to go. 1. Run for office (And get elected) and change policy. 2. quit the origination in protest. 3. Shut up and stop making it miserable for everyone else. JMHO Have an AWESOME DAR, Gents.

Sorry SDP I can't seem keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by HoundDog; 05-18-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:23 PM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
No need if it so insignificant to make such a big deal of it IS THERE. Just some thing for the naggers on these forums to whine about about the AMA. Besides don't they have Patches that do the same thing. Never see many people wearing these. Have seen some glued to flight boxes on ocation.

Anyway I have 4 Pins with my name and differant clubs on them. But it ain't cause my hat a lot. Frankly it so I remember just who I am. Gett'n hard to remember anything more than 15 seconds old or less than 25 years old. Lucky the van knows the way to the different fields an way back home. Have an awesome Day Ya all.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:27 PM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot
Dont forget to search his posting history.
Originally Posted by HoundDog
That's exactly why very few answer or enter Forums like this they pretty much get fed up with the BS and AMA Bashing that goes on. U may not know it but U just riled one of the comets easy going down to earth guys in this hobby. If U had ocation to meet SDP U'd under stand my statement.

I have on ocation taken the AMA and it's leader ship to task but not like the consent discontent I've seen here in the past years. Again if some one is not satisfied with the way or what an organization, they belong to, is doing or headed then they have but 3 ways to go. 1. Run for office (And get elected) and change policy. 2. quit the origination in protest. 3. Shut up and stop making it miserable for everyone else. JMHO Have an AWESOME DAR, Gents.

I'm pretty sure if we all sat down with a cold one we could get all this sorted out.

Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 01:34 PM
HoundDog

Hey anyone know where I can get a 10" Tall not 12" (Got One 12") WWII pilot figure with flying helmet chute hares 5 point harness, and may west and Oxygen mask etc??
My 12" pilot hits the canopy with out the seat parachute.
Old 05-18-2016, 01:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

I'm pretty sure if we all sat down with a cold one we could get all this sorted out.

Mike
Doubt it. Based on postings here when someone doesn't agree with others they either get attacked, or told they have been placed on an ignore list, etc etc. Absolutely nothing gets worked out or sorted here, unless the goal is to vent. If a different position, or view, or a comment gets challenged, it's taken as a personal offense and the names come out, troll, sheeple, etc etc. Either agree with "most", or 77%....or else. To what end?

In all of these threads and all of these posts and all of these complaints I have yet to see a single person say they were going to do something about it, other than send an e-mail, make a phone call, or add their name to a protest petition. Empty slogans about "replace the board", etc etc, but absolutely not one concrete realistic solution has been offered.

There is nothing to sort out. We have folks that are actually involved and do something positive, and then there are others who do nothing but complain. Not to say some good points have been raised, they usually are upon close inspection (and absent reading anything more into a statement than the statement itself), but the nonstop barrage of negativity and absurd complaints (salaries, misspelling of a word on a website, and now recognition pins) are not done in a constructive manner. They are done to further the same narrative.....AMA=Bad. If it was all done for the betterment of the org, I could see the validity of it all, but it really seems to come from a different place, a distinctively personal place.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:03 PM
rcmiket

Hey anyone know where I can get a 10" Tall not 12" (Got One 12") WWII pilot figure with flying helmet chute hares 5 point harness, and may west and Oxygen mask etc??

http://www.warbirdpilots.com/category_s/1850.htm

Mike
Old 05-18-2016, 02:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not looking to catch Hell here , but , with all due respect I can't see where Franklin's posting history has anything to do with his observations , provided they are correct , and , can you honestly say that he is wrong ? Have the results of the drone survey due in 2014 been released yet ? Is there a more recent insurance statement than 2007 ? If the man is telling the truth he's telling the truth , no matter how ugly that truth may be , what your doing is the classic "kill the messenger" reaction , and at least some of us here don't believe the man deserves it .
It's about context, as his statement says. It's as relevant as the comments you have made about a group of people blinding accepting the AMA 100% and never addressing anything bad. Fairs fair right?

Not sure what "insurance statement" was needing to be released, but lets say for argument sake it hasn't been done by them? So what? What does that show or mean or prove? Has this affected anybody's ability to fly, or their membership? It certainly didn't result in dues increases for a huge period of time. What information does Franklin desperately need to know from 2008 forward? He's made references in the past to wanting to be involved with the AMA for safety studies and was turned down for this. Is this the real reason this information is suddenly in great demand? Not everything the EC does is open to absolute scrutiny on the part of membership, sorry, that's the way I look at it. If it's publicly available it should be released, and done so timely. Should we next expect some complaints that the board hasn't turned over the health insurance provider they chose to go with, and if they have put those policies out to bid. How about the vending machines used at the Museum? Should we pay less for those?

These requests appear to be made not because they are suddenly needed, but because they aren't readily available, that's all. Not every business decision they make has to be run by or approved by 187,000 members.

As for killing the messenger (and to piggy back on HD's earlier statement), we need only look at the reaction SDP got to his initial comments. Were the comments discussed, or the messenger?
Old 05-18-2016, 02:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

Sent you a PM but Mikey beat me to the link. This guy's stuff is top notch, excellent quality and he can pretty much do everything you want. He's a CT boy too, a fellow hobbyist and owner/fabricator of this company. His Thunderbird pilot with moving hands/head is fantastic.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:20 PM
porcia83
Banned

I dwell on mismanagement of member funds, paying people to do jobs they're not doing, lack of transparency, bad decisions, and consequences we're all suffering as a result.
WE? We are all suffering what consequences directly tied to mismanagement of member funds?
Old 05-18-2016, 04:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Again if some one is not satisfied with the way or what an organization, they belong to, is doing or headed then they have but 3 ways to go. 1. Run for office (And get elected) and change policy. 2. quit the origination in protest. 3. Shut up and stop making it miserable for everyone else. JMHO Have an AWESOME DAR, Gents.

This post of yours speaks volumes about you.
Instead of suggesting how someone else should conduct their lives, WHY do you choose to click on his threads..?
Why can't YOU exercise enough self control to avoid Franklin's thread topics that obviously give you so much grief...?
Believe me, if many of us wanted to focus on how you could make better use of your time at RCU they would have to give you your own forum.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:53 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
WE? We are all suffering what consequences directly tied to mismanagement of member funds?
Sure..if we're paying people do jobs that aren't being done. Why pay them at all? Put that money into improving the facilities at Muncie instead? Or more scholarships? Or more flying club grants? Or a second lobbyist? Or toward moving the lawsuit forward?

That's how it affects us all. It's our money being spent on our behalf and not getting what we're paying for.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:33 PM
porcia83
Banned

Sure..if we're paying people do jobs that aren't being done. Why pay them at all? Put that money into improving the facilities at Muncie instead? Or more scholarships? Or more flying club grants? Or a second lobbyist? Or toward moving the lawsuit forward?

That's how it affects us all. It's our money being spent on our behalf and not getting what we're paying for.
You aren't getting what you want, you couldn't get them to give you money for a club, and they rebuffed your offer to work for them, isn't that what this is all about? You don't speak for "we", you speak for you, and perhaps a microscopically minute fraction of members when you say "we aren't getting what we're paying for".

It's a preposterous notion, absent any basis in fact. A misspelling on a website, and a report you suddenly want from 2008, and pins being sent out to club officers are the basis for them "not getting paid for what they are supposed to do"?. Oh, and the ED being paid a fair salary too, that's bad.

The work is getting done, everyday. The websites are up, events are taking place with sanctions being approved, scholarships being awarded, flying clubs getting grants, events are being attended, and yes, work is even being done improving Muncie. And thank god, it's about time. I could see the complaints now if they didn't maintain the property...ie what a dump, our money isn't being spent well. It's the worlds best HQ and property for RC, why wouldn't we want it to shine?

Trying to hold the AMA accountable is a nice thought, but how many years has it been since you have been "holding them accountable" and pointing out everything you feel they have been doing wrong. If the most recent comments by you, lets say a year or two back, are any indication, things are as bad as they have ever been. If that's the case, perhaps the way they have been "held accountable" needs to be revisited. Something more proactive, meaningful, and dare I say it...involved? The message doesn't seem to be getting through. Of course the idea of "replacing them all" is totally naive and would solve nothing. Is there a line forming to replace those positions, or even District VP spots? Not from what we've seen last year, that's for sure.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:25 PM
RC Pilot 007

agree

why tax payr pay this one to?

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...ation-f16.html

suposed be profesional but fail again our tax $ waste again & again
Old 05-18-2016, 07:28 PM
RC Pilot 007

And yet you come on this forum and conduct non-stop complaining for almost a decade.

(Search Franklin_m for his forum posts and you will know I speak the truth)

Franklin, try eating your own words and compliment the good the AMA does and don't dwell on the bad, it's poison to most of us.

SunDevilPilot
decade long time why so long
Old 05-18-2016, 07:30 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had enough. Good luck complaining for another decade, I wish you all the best.

Hopefully in in the end Franklin and company will realize this whole thing is a hobby, for fun.

Unsubscribed.... SunDevilPilot
Old 05-18-2016, 07:34 PM
RC Pilot 007

I've had enough. Good luck complaining for another decade, I wish you all the best.

Hopefully in in the end Franklin and company will realize this whole thing is a hobby, for fun.

no think so

some go grave crzy bitter nevrer realze

life short make fun
Old 05-19-2016, 03:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Honestly I just don't see how you can come up with "most" ? I think "most" of us tend to agree with him.

Mike

Not so sure here. Maybe you or Sun Devil can do a poll. I won't because I really don't care. Just as with climate change, most can be completely wrong.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:01 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by combatpigg
BREAKING NEWS..!!!

Richard Simmons and the girls on "The View" have organized a protest outside of Franklin's house for his negative posting history about the AMA and also for his "SALARY SHAMING..!"
Richard Simmons? I thought he was dead!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:03 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Not looking to catch Hell here , but , with all due respect I can't see where Franklin's posting history has anything to do with his observations , provided they are correct , and , can you honestly say that he is wrong ? Have the results of the drone survey due in 2014 been released yet ? Is there a more recent insurance statement than 2007 ? If the man is telling the truth he's telling the truth , no matter how ugly that truth may be , what your doing is the classic "kill the messenger" reaction , and at least some of us here don't believe the man deserves it .
I think someone who is a constant complainer can be discounted as not valid. Or a troll.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:08 AM
porcia83
Banned

Thanks for bringing a different perspective to the conversation. And you're absolutely right, this is supposed to be a fun hobby.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.