Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Awful new AMA sUAS website

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Awful new AMA sUAS website

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 05:42 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot
And yet you come on this forum and conduct non-stop complaining for almost a decade. (Search Franklin_m for his forum posts and you will know I speak the truth)

SunDevilPilot
He also made some comment about searching and not finding one hobby related post. Well, in his zeal to make an accusation, apparently SunDevilPilot failed to do a thorough search. Here's a graphic of the threads I've started on RCU since 2007, showing how many were AMA related and how many were something else. Granted, I've been more focused on AMA of late, but last time I checked that wasn't an offense or violation of the RCU rules. I've even attached a list of the "Other" thread titles since SDP questioned my "bona fides" to post.

Non-AMA thread titles (Other category): Source for 0.15 - 0.25 Pitts Mufflers?, FP40 feels strange when crank turned, How can I use 9CHP w/Blade CP?, Electric setup for HoB 2x4?, Muffler Compatibility - 25FP vs 25LA, How big prop - Tower .75?, 9CHPS & Removing RF Module?, Flow Direction? OS Check Valve, Need simple project for GWS 350B, Recover exhaust soaked balsa?, AK-Models SU-26 Kit ???, Yet another pic test..., Help Pls - Motor/Speed Control/Prop Sizing, S-148 Servo gears and grease, NiCd Discharger, Help Pls - Squaring Sig Somethin Extra Tail, Tower 75 transition problem, Low cost 12V Power Supplies?, How to cut spar notches in ribs, 9C to give up elevator w/ L or R rudder?, What kit? - 2M Glider Towplane, Need some MotoCalc help, MonoKote over LustreKote ???, Easier to build? - Shrike 10 or Sig Wonder?, Radical RC - Quick Wing 12mm, 9C - Different trim settings on a switch?, Cox "Rubber Duckie" Props?, Quick Question - Long vs short plugs, Question - Mecoa Glow Plug Adapters, Cox Black Widow "Squeal?", What size allen wrench? Norvel head screws, Goldberg Li'l Jumpin Bean Plans, Opinion? - Wing rebuild strength, NiCd or NiMh? Raptor 30, Well done SIG, Thread Size? Norvel AX-40, Question - Hand launch Viper 500? Sport flyer, Bungee launcher for .40 Kaos (w/o landing gear)?, .074 Powered Quickie Type Plane - Dimensions?, Where to locate spray bar hole? .25LAS, repair / make new fiberglass cowl, Ulmer 049 wonder plans?, Executive Experience RC & Full Scale, Spectra Mod (pn 28315) w/ Futaba 9C ???, OS40 FP for Phoenix Super Decathlon?, Taildragger twins?, Bungee launch nitro prop plane?, GS45 High Speed Needle O-Ring, Does Anylink transmit 6 channels or 4?, Dominator 200? Or similar?, How to clean up OS40 FSR Crank?, 2 wheel gear for Topflight Flite Streak?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Threads Started RCU Since 2007.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	2163177  
Old 05-19-2016, 05:55 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think someone who is a constant complainer can be discounted as not valid. Or a troll.
Help-rejecting complainers have had a very short employment period on all the customer engagements I've worked on.

The best employers realize this mindset is toxic and take steps to quickly eradicate it rather than reduce productivity and take a chance of it spreading in the workplace. Eradicating it is a win-win for both co-workers and leadership teams.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:00 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Help-rejecting complainers have had a very short employment period on all the customer engagements I've worked on.

The best employers realize this mindset is toxic and take steps to quickly eradicate it rather than reduce productivity and take a chance of it spreading in the workplace. Eradicating it is a win-win for both co-workers and leadership teams.
And yet it comes from someone who uses a nom de geurre and lists their location as "somewhere." Yeah. That just oozes credibility.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:01 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think someone who is a constant complainer can be discounted as not valid. Or a troll.
I hardly call my history one of constant complaining, proof provided above...
Old 05-19-2016, 06:12 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
And yet it comes from someone who uses a nom de geurre and lists their location as "somewhere." Yeah. That just oozes credibility.
So where someone is located has something to do with the content of their message? Irrelevant comparison.

I hardly call my history one of constant complaining, proof provided above...
There is a difference of course to what SDP said, and what you compared. Threads started versus comments in threads....two completely different things, you picked one that didn't match what he said. Since you brought it up, your post history, and the complaints and criticisms therein speak for themselves. There is no need to chart it, spreadsheet it, or see it for anything other than what it is. Goes for all of us as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:37 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Relevance?
Old 05-19-2016, 07:18 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Relevance?
Just an observation....
Old 05-19-2016, 10:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Sport, to answer your question and respond to your "challenge", they are both very simple.
1) The AMA put up a web page that wasn't checked for accuracy or working links before it went live. That makes the AMA look foolish to the average person.
2) If the board paid someone to actually create the page, the AMA again looks foolish for not verifying they were getting what they paid for.
3) Since at least one person has informed the board that the page and links were inaccurate and they have not made all the corrections, it shows that the board either isn't really listening to its members or isn't holding the person/company that made up the page accountable in making the corrections or isn't verifying the corrections were made. It shows, to me anyway, that they are not really worried about how the AMA looks to people outside the organization and that the status quo is good enough
4) Assuming the 150+ THOUSAND MEMBERS are paying the full membership dues of $75 per year as stated on the AMA home page, that equates to $11,250,000 per year of income. Other than paying for a group insurance policy that costs only a fraction of that, where does the rest of the money go?

These are all things that every AMA MEMBER should be concerned about and asking an answer for. That is EXACTLY what Franklin has been saying, in a nutshell.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Sport, to answer your question and respond to your "challenge", they are both very simple.
1) The AMA put up a web page that wasn't checked for accuracy or working links before it went live. That makes the AMA look foolish to the average person.
2) If the board paid someone to actually create the page, the AMA again looks foolish for not verifying they were getting what they paid for.
3) Since at least one person has informed the board that the page and links were inaccurate and they have not made all the corrections, it shows that the board either isn't really listening to its members or isn't holding the person/company that made up the page accountable in making the corrections or isn't verifying the corrections were made. It shows, to me anyway, that they are not really worried about how the AMA looks to people outside the organization and that the status quo is good enough
4) Assuming the 150+ THOUSAND MEMBERS are paying the full membership dues of $75 per year as stated on the AMA home page, that equates to $11,250,000 per year of income. Other than paying for a group insurance policy that costs only a fraction of that, where does the rest of the money go?

These are all things that every AMA MEMBER should be concerned about and asking an answer for. That is EXACTLY what Franklin has been saying, in a nutshell.
As Someone said its very captious. I doubt anybody but the few here and maybe RC groups even know about it. Or care if they did. Not much money to do that and probably for free in any event.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
I don't think there are too many folks out here who need a written definition of the words "constant complainer" and "troll" , tell me , would YOU like to be called either ? It's a simple yes or no question .......Your line of "reasoning" here holds no merit whatsoever , unless of course the intent is to so derail the thread that Ken closes it .

But you see , that strategy isn't going to work here either , since Ken has already said , he doesn't remove threads , he removes people who are making problems FROM threads . So , I'd suggest that all you who want to call Franklin things like "constant complainer" and "troll" had best switch to discussing the threads topic , before Ken gets here and removes all but the pertinent posts relevant to the Awfulness of the AMA's new sUAS website .
Call me whatever you what. My sense of self-worth comes my commitment to the integrity of my own internal value system, not from what others think of me.

When I make statements I accept all criticism they receive. On a private forum such as RCU we are bound by the posting requirements. Perhaps you can review the posting rules which are a sticky at the top of the forum so you have a standard to evaluate against.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:00 PM
porcia83
Banned

Since we don't know how much was spent , the size of the potatoes here remains in question .

Also , let's not forget , even the smallest of potatoes will eventually add up to a bushel if you've got enough of em .......
Agree,every little bit ads up.

Site cost just over 2 million to create, program, and run. Given the "free" registration it's been said that it would take at least 3 years before the initial costs of creation/running it would be recovered.

Yes, other sites can be created and run cheaper, doubt the Feds wanna get involved with GoDaddy though.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Let me guess , AMA Hater is a term of endearment ? Sure sounds like a personal attack to me ...... Tell me Hound , do you have anything to say in rebuttal to Hydro's post , or will it just be Hydro himself that you will be attacking here ?
How is this related to the "Awful new AMA sUAS website"? Have you actually looked at the website?
Old 05-19-2016, 01:41 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
cap·tious (ˈkapSHəs)
adjectiveformal
adjective: captious
  • (of a person) tending to find fault or raise petty objections.

Could you please explain to me how asking the AMA how the board is spending $11+million of YOUR DOLLARS fits that definition?
Could you please explain to me how asking why the board is spending YOUR DOLLARS on a faulty web site fits that definition?

When I spend money, I want to get my dollar's worth. I'm not going to pay $400 for a brake rework on my car and let them put in used parts or, worse yet, clean and reinstall the same parts. In the same way, when an organization I pay dues to spends the money I pay them, I expect to get my money's worth just like I spent it out of my own pocket. It's called HOLDING PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE!!!! In the same way that Richard Nixon was impeached over breaking the law while holding the office of United States President, the AMA Executive Board needs to be held accountable for how they spend YOUR DUES
Everyone is entitled to their opinion as to what value they derive from their membership, no doubt. It's also fair to want to know how the money is being spent, those figures are available via financial reports, as well as quarterly meeting notes. The assumption though seems to be that as "paying members", we somehow have a say in exactly how much is spent, and where it is spent, etc etc. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The leadership isn't put into their positions to run every financial decision by the membership, can you imagine the absolute chaos that would ensue? If you belong to a club and have been involved in budget discussions and the nitpicking that goes on there, picture that times 10. The leadership is there to do a job, and they do it. Who do they ultimately report to, well that would be us...if we don't like what they are doing, we can vote them out.

Complaining about every minute detail of what they do, down to a misspelling of a word, or concocting some bizarre irrelevant comparison of what the ED makes versus where the position is, down to the cost of a pin, can hardly be described as holding anyone accountable. Again, fair enough to complain, but almost 10 years of these complaints, and the minor nature of them, it gets a bit much no? Most importantly though, there are no solutions offered up. Nothing of substance, nothing viable, nothing realistic. Empty sloganeering ie :get the leaders out".

So the discussion would probably go better if every once in a while a suggestion on how to improve was made, and not have it be a self serving one.

Chronic complaining does absolutely nothing to change a single thing, and doing it here for 10 years hasn't changed a thing, by Franklin's very own comments. Nobody has been "held accountable" because there is nothing done. Nobody stepping up to the plate to get more involved, nobody running for office.

You obviously agree with Franklin and feel the EB should be held accountable, can you explain how? Specifically how, not just a complaint about how much they spent on pins or things of that nature, what exactly needs to be done.

These meetings by the way are open to anyone to attend. I've yet to see a single note from anyone indicating they were present. Also, the content and discussion of the meetings are also available via the District VPs....it's rare I see anyone indicating they have reached out to them for answers. The information is there, it seems like sometimes we aren't looking for it.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:31 PM
franklin_m

Well, the ED's salary comes from a public document, so I don't have any issue publishing that. But for those who say paying people to do jobs they're not doing (or doing poorly) isn't a concern. Here's one for you. Go look at the latest financial statement and make a case that what was paid in salaries and fringe is small potatoes.

Then, go look at the rest of the list and look at what percentage of expense go to support the HQ and Muncie vs. what is spent on everything else. Look at percentages as compared to revenue (our membership dollars). Again, I'd love to hear why this is small potatoes.

And lastly, if you want to see how much of your membership fee goes to pay salaries, well, the math is easy. Again, I'd love to hear why this is small potatoes - especially when things aren't getting done at all, or are being done poorly.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:42 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, it obvious that you didn't get the message that I posted the other day. I just finished removing 50 posts since my last post that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread, and most of them were outright attacks between all you guys attacking each other. What part of my last message didn't you all understand??? It was pretty simply if you ask me. If you don't like somebody you put them on your ignore list so you don't see their message. Plain and simple. I don't know what could be any simpler.

Anyway. Since you all seem to be finished discussing this matter, as evident by the fact that all you have done it continued to attack each other, it's clear to me that there isn't anything left about this matter left to discuss. Therefore I am closing this thread down.

Thread closed.

Ken