Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What are you going to do after model planes?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What are you going to do after model planes?

Old 05-20-2016, 06:53 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by radfordc
Total BS! After model planes I plan to die peacefully.
Yikes, don't get fitted for the coffin yet. The dire warnings are far to premature....plenty of time left to go flying and have fun. No more dead talk!
Old 05-20-2016, 06:55 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fly a kite....
Old 05-20-2016, 07:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rgburrill
If we had policed ourselves and kept RC as a hobby we wouldn't be in this situation. But too many thought "let them have their fun" when learning about FPV pilots flying 20 or miles BLOS. After all, they were in the wide open spaces. Or when they started FPV in cities and college campuses to many thought "it's no big deal." How many of you screamed bloody murder when the AMA started thinking about allowing FPV under certain situations? That didn't happen overnight and most of you ignored it. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. That's what happened here. And the FAA had to step in to try to keep the skies safe.
Originally Posted by rgburrill
Congress got involved first. Some weenies with no RC experience decided that RC had run amok. Remember that exercise last year when the FAA asked for industry support in developing regulations for registration? Initially it was aimed at BLOS, especially for commercial users. But the "industry" decided that the problem of BLOS could not be quantified but hazardous operation around groups of people could be - i.e. us at the flying field. That triggered not just registration for everyone but and oversight of a hobby that had been successfully operation for many years.
The lack of "policing" ourselves had nothing to do with the FAA getting involved in air safety. Again, this was and continues to be about the commercial use of these platforms. The FAA never would have made rules or regs specifically excluding us, and although the AMA's efforts are pretty much dismissed, at least they were involved on the ground floor and were able to have their concerns noted. Some changes were made, others continue to be worked on. Playing the blame game on a few folks isn't reality, this involved big business.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:51 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by RCPAUL
I'm not buying and not building until the issue gets resolved. Greatly disappointed in the AMA. Read the latest council meeting minutes. Mostly FPV and drones.
Well, you also know for a fact 100% certified that you will indeed die. You could die today, you could die tomorrow, next month, in a year or a decade. You just do NOT know. Right?

Now, knowing this for a fact did never stop me of living every day to the full extent. So, I will keep full ahead participating in my 3 hobbies until I really cannot go on with any or all....

Gerry
Old 05-20-2016, 09:20 AM
speed20
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone found specific proposals for scratch built/ kit airplanes? I can't find any
Old 05-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Total BS! After model planes I plan to die peacefully.
Hey Friend, hope you live forever ! LOL
Old 05-20-2016, 10:31 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Hey Friend, hope you live forever ! LOL

Why is it , the older we get , the more we come to see that as more of a curse than a blessing ?

Eternal life sounds wonderful if your 22 , and could remain in that condition forever . 72 or 82 and live forever , Er , not so much .....
Old 05-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Fly a kite....
Funny thing is, my wife and I have flown kites. Actually we still have two and one is about a 10 footer. Took me over an hour one day to reel it in.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:57 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by init4fun
Why is it , the older we get , the more we come to see that as more of a curse than a blessing ?

Eternal life sounds wonderful if your 22 , and could remain in that condition forever . 72 or 82 and live forever , Er , not so much .....
Well their is an ole saying ........... MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO ... AND ... WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE !

I was actually thinking about my past hobby years today. I started building stick & paper models at the age of 8 and most likely have built everything else since then. I am now 73 and the funny thing is, I just recently finished a stick model or what I consider to be a stick model. It is a Balsa USA Eindecker 90 kit. Worked on it for two years and have just recently finished it. Among my thoughts today was, I guess I have come FULL CIRCLE.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:45 PM
Fish07

Lol
Old 05-20-2016, 04:09 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

As long as people keep voting for the candidates that want more big government to rule from on high we are going to get closer and closer to the end. How about we start voting for the candidates that want to follow the Constitution, perform on the 18 Enumerated Powers of the Federal Government, and leave everything else to the states to decide. Or is the promise of free stuff, and big bloated federal government fixing all our ills too much of a draw for some people?
These are the kind of unintended consequences you get from big government types.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:49 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I figure I can always go back home, considering I started in R/C building and racing R/C hydroplanes. I'll just be flying a lot lower is all
Old 05-21-2016, 04:00 AM
GerKonig

What will I do after model airplanes> You mean today right? Well, after I finish working on my RV-4 to get it ready to maiden as soon as the rain stops, i will work on my other hobby photography.

If there are things I hate are the drama queens, and the "sky is falling types". Some characters have to seriously think of growing up...

Gerry
I have been involved with the hobby for over 40 years, I see really no reason to stop anytime soon...
Old 05-21-2016, 09:29 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Well their is an ole saying ........... MAY YOU LIVE AS LONG AS YOU WANT TO ... AND ... WANT TO AS LONG AS YOU LIVE !

I was actually thinking about my past hobby years today. I started building stick & paper models at the age of 8 and most likely have built everything else since then. I am now 73 and the funny thing is, I just recently finished a stick model or what I consider to be a stick model. It is a Balsa USA Eindecker 90 kit. Worked on it for two years and have just recently finished it. Among my thoughts today was, I guess I have come FULL CIRCLE.
I love your ole saying and I WILL be "borrowing" it from time to time !

And to get right down to it , I'm right there will all the folks who've said the hobby isn't going anywhere . Sure , there may be a few more hoops to jump through as seems to be the way with life , when have you ever seen things go from more involved to simple ? Yes , the hobby's administrative side will become more complex , yes it won't be welcome by those of us around long enough to have enjoyed the simpler times . But folks who love remote controlling model aircraft will continue to do so while paying the extra fees just as folks who love to fish still get fishing licenses despite their ever increasing costs , and Skiers keep paying the rising admission & lift ticket prices . I myself would never walk away from a lifelong hobby just because changing times have caused things to become somewhat more , complicated , so until a better system comes along I'll pay my dues , and fly my model aircraft , because after all , while I'm flying my model aircraft the last thing I'm thinking about is the $5 FAA fee or worrying about any other future hoops to jump through to be here doing it .
Old 05-21-2016, 09:58 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yikes, don't get fitted for the coffin yet. The dire warnings are far to premature....plenty of time left to go flying and have fun. No more dead talk!
I meant to say that the last things I hope to do when I do kick the bucket is fly one of my planes and kiss a pretty girl.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

I meant to say that the last things I hope to do when I do kick the bucket is fly one of my planes and kiss a pretty girl.
At the same time! ��
Old 05-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Granpooba

Depending on your age, if you get tied up with a pretty girl, you might not make it to fly one of your planes. LOL

But after thinking it over for a few seconds, I think that I will opt for the pretty girl !
Old 05-23-2016, 07:31 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

When is this aircraft certification rule supposed to go into effect?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:41 AM
acerc

The proposed regulations regarding certification are not new. Giant scale (over 55lbs) have been doing it for years and it is not that big of a deal. I fall into the group that believes we will be able to continue on as near usual. Everything they are proposing is directed at sUAS's and we are just caught in the mix. Both versions contain the special rule to some degree, it is the build and certification aspect causing the fuss. But after all is said and done the FAA does have the ability/ authority to say we are not limiting R/C as long as (special conditions inserted here) are followed. Besides, if they take long enough to figure something out it will be time to start over with it again.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:57 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Funny thing is, my wife and I have flown kites. Actually we still have two and one is about a 10 footer. Took me over an hour one day to reel it in.
I have a Gayla Bat Eyes Kite I fly with my 3 year old, he is just getting on the simulator and will hopefully by age 5 be able to buddy box a electric trainer.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
I have a Gayla Bat Eyes Kite I fly with my 3 year old, he is just getting on the simulator and will hopefully by age 5 be able to buddy box a electric trainer.
I keep hearing about and thinking about a 400 ' ceiling for model airplanes. I have flown my large kites with 1,000 ' of twine. Granted, it is not 1,000 vertical feet, but I am quite sure at times it has been up to 400 feet. Now what category do my kites come under
Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
When is this aircraft certification rule supposed to go into effect?
IF they survive the Conference Committee process, which is still a ways off since the House has not passed their version yet, and it gets signed into law, then the FAA will likely need time to do a NPRM on the process, public comment, etc.

Bottom line?? Not any time soon if ever.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:26 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i guess i will just change over to flying "drones".
Old 05-23-2016, 04:39 PM
GerKonig

I keep hearing about and thinking about a 400 ' ceiling for model airplanes. I have flown my large kites with 1,000 ' of twine. Granted, it is not 1,000 vertical feet, but I am quite sure at times it has been up to 400 feet. Now what category do my kites come under
Not a drone, not RC, it's a kite. Fly their tail off...

Gerry
Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421
The Senate recently passed their version of the Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 2016 and surely the House will approve it in the near future. This means radio controlled model aviation as we know it is over. The cost to certify a model plane or model plane design will be so cost prohibitive that only people with the assets of DonaldTtrump will be able to get them certified. The question at hand is what are you going to do after model planes?
Certification? We don't need no stinking certification! They won't kill the hobby. Even if they make it illegal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.