Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!

Old 04-12-2016, 12:12 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Circle the wagons ! It's Senator writing time !!!!

Anyone else get the "Write your Senator NOW ! Email from the AMA ?

Sounds like the bleep is about to hit the fan , regulations wise .
Old 04-12-2016, 12:28 PM
TimJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL I said this a month ago. Now the AMA wants us to act? Below is information that should help you contact your representatives

Here is how you contract your senators: http://www.senate.gov/reference/comm...t_senators.htm

Here is a list of your senators and contact links:
http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

Below is a template letter you can use. If you don't agree with everything is this letter, amend it and send it NOW!!!!

WE MUST ACT NOW OR FOREVER LOOSE OUR HOBBY.

Originally Posted by radfordc
Here is where you go to email your congressmen and women: https://emailcongress.us/

Here is the text of the message I sent to my representatives:

Dear xxxx,

A Senate bill to reauthorize the FAA contains provisions related to the manufacture of drones that could apply to home-built model airplanes, as well as those produced by large consumer manufacturers. The bill in question, titled the Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act of 2016, contains provisions that would have a significant negative impact on technology innovation by all manufacturers of model aircraft. With no size or weight threshold, the bill, if adopted, would add new and burdensome manufacturing, testing and approval restrictions to even the tiniest models. And, most disturbing, these restrictions could apply to hobby-built remote controlled aircraft, effectively prohibiting them from operating outdoors. The legislation could also retroactively ground already-built models that didn’t meet the manufacturing standards called for by the proposed legislation.
The bill states: “it shall be unlawful for any person to introduce or deliver for introduction into interstate commerce any unmanned aircraft manufactured on or after the date that the [FAA] adopts a relevant [manufacturing] standard, unless the manufacturer has received approval …for each make and model.” In order to receive approval, the bill sets forth steps that would be difficult for large manufacturers to meet, let alone small businesses or individuals. A manufacturer – regardless of size – would at a minimum have to provide “the aircraft’s operating instructions” and confirm that the model met the specified standards. In addition, the manufacturer would have to provide a sample of every make and model to the FAA for its approval.
According to Peter Sachs, who publishes the well-regarded legal website www.dronelawjournal.com, “the flight of any aircraft, whether built in a factory or in a basement, is a flight in interstate commerce.”
At a time when the U.S. lags behind so many industrialized countries in higher education, especially in terms of science and technology, a bill that would have such tremendous impacts on aeronautical science is perplexing. Almost all astronauts and famous aviation pioneers started by building and flying model airplanes. I have flown model airplanes for over 50 years and am worried that the current climate of fear regarding "drones" will result in knee jerk, over reaching laws and restrictions with unintended consequences on what has been and is now a safe and rewarding hobby.
The Academy of Model Aviation is currently working with congress to introduce reasonable rules that allow for the continued safe operation of model aircraft for hobby and recreation. On February 11, 2016 the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee in the House of Representatives passed the Aviation Innovation, Reform, and Reauthorization (AIRR) Act, which preserves and strengthens the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. Please join the house in their efforts to ensure that this important legislation protects the hobby of flying model aircraft.
Thank you,
Name; Address, Phone No.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:29 PM
TimJ

If above is too much work for you, then here is an easy peasy link that AMA has created to help you contact your reps. http://salsa4.salsalabs.com/o/51579/...tion_KEY=18287
Old 04-12-2016, 12:32 PM
TimJ

Also, don't forget if you live in Florida, you have Senator Nelson working against us. Make sure you pay him extra special attention. Here is a link of him saying our hobby is dangerous and public shouldn't be allowed to use the air space. http://www.c-span.org/video/?c457655...-speech-drones
Old 04-12-2016, 12:55 PM
Silent-AV8R

Has anyone read the actual amendment??

It retains BOTH the altitude limits as part of the Section 2129 - 44808 definition of what a hobby operation is AND the requirement for testing.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Inhofe3596.pdf

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/S2658_4-4-16.pdf
Old 04-12-2016, 01:04 PM
Silent-AV8R

AMA response:

Hi Bill,
We have an amendment in place to resolve the 400 foot limit. Ideally we want the limit removed entirely, but initially the Senate only agreed to accept an amendment that exempts AMA members. This amendment is not part of the Inhofe amendment, but it is in place. As for the test, we believe it should be removed. If our ask is denied, we believe members should be exempt or be permitted to take a test through the AMA (perhaps as part of the renewal process). Inhofe's amendment does address the test portion.Know that we are still early in this process. The House hasn't voted on their version yet, which appears to not have any major issues and actually includes some extra protections we submitted. Then the two bills go through another round of revisions and amendments with a whole new committee. Considering this is a key election year, there is also a chance this process may stall and roll into 2017.Chad BudreauAcademy of Model AeronauticsPublic Relations and Government Affairs765.287.1256 x227
Old 04-12-2016, 01:20 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Has anyone read the actual amendment??

It retains BOTH the altitude limits as part of the Section 2129 - 44808 definition of what a hobby operation is AND the requirement for testing.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Inhofe3596.pdf

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/S2658_4-4-16.pdf
So I wonder why then just today I got the AMA's "call to arms" Email if Chad says it's not likely to be passed anytime soon ? When did you get the response from Chad that you quoted , I just got the AMA Email an hour ago when I started this thread ?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:50 PM
TimJ

Thank you for that info Bill.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:02 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by TimJ
Thank you for that info Bill.
I'd like to know exactly WHEN Bill got that response from Chad ?

I got the Email at 4:00 (ish) this afternoon , so if Bill's communication from Chad is any older than 4:00 this afternoon I'd say it means exactly nothing , with regards to today's 4:00 AMA Email !

So , Bill , ya gonna answer when you got that communication from Chad ?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:27 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun

I got the Email at 4:00 (ish) this afternoon , so if Bill's communication from Chad is any older than 4:00 this afternoon I'd say it means exactly nothing , with regards to today's 4:00 AMA Email !

See Chad's comment here @ 17:03:
http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...he-senate-now/
Old 04-12-2016, 03:49 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Thank You Brian , It sure does look like the AMA wants us to write to our Senators , just like the Email I got this afternoon said to do , and I don't see Chad's response as having any change to that request from the AMA that we all send those letters .
Old 04-12-2016, 04:03 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Thank You Brian , It sure does look like the AMA wants us to write to our Senators , just like the Email I got this afternoon said to do , and I don't see Chad's response as having any change to that request from the AMA that we all send those letters .
Like it has been said weeks, months ago .....it means more to send/mail a well written/typed and hand signed letter rather than add your name to a petition.
What percentage of ama/club members will do or have done this?
Old 04-12-2016, 05:04 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Like it has been said weeks, months ago .....it means more to send/mail a well written/typed and hand signed letter rather than add your name to a petition.
What percentage of ama/club members will do or have done this?

Didn't we all do that when the whole registration deal was being proposed? Lots of "well written letters" along with comments during the open comment period were sent and blown off by those who received them. While I'll send mine I have no reason to expect a different outcome this time.
Maybe all the "droners" will join the letter writing campaign.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 04-12-2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Silent-AV8R

Not sure why you think it is a big secret. I received his email at 1:59 pm PDT (4:59 EDT)

To clear up any other confusion I got the email AFTER the call to arms email was sent. I emailed Chad in response to that because after looking at the amendment itself I had concerns. What I posted was Chad's response to my email voicing those concerns to the call to arms email blast.

Last edited by Silent-AV8R; 04-12-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:34 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Not sure why you think it is a big secret. I received his email at 1:59 pm PDT (4:59 EDT)

To clear up any other confusion I got the email AFTER the call to arms email was sent. I emailed Chad in response to that because after looking at the amendment itself I had concerns. What I posted was Chad's response to my email voicing those concerns to the call to arms email blast.
Thank You Bill , That's all I was wanting to know , the timeframe of when Chad's Email was sent VS when the AMA's was . I did write a nice letter in my own words to both of my Senators in which I calmly explained the differences between a model airplane & a drone , the differences between LOS and BLOS flight , and the basic fact that anything without a camera or GPS that is being flown for fun is a true model aircraft , VS a drone that has either a camera transmitting to a pilot in a remote location or any other type of automated self guidance and is being flown for a specific mission other than for the fun of it (real estate photography , etc) . Lastly I enclosed a link to the AMA's website and invited them to contact me if any other info may prove helpful to them .

One way or another the hard 400 foot thing and the no home building thing are the two biggest things that gotta go !
Old 04-13-2016, 07:57 AM
TimJ

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Didn't we all do that when the whole registration deal was being proposed? Lots of "well written letters" along with comments during the open comment period were sent and blown off by those who received them. While I'll send mine I have no reason to expect a different outcome this time.
Maybe all the "droners" will join the letter writing campaign.

Mike
No one gives a rats ass if we did this before. It needs to be done again. Taking a defeatist attitude is not the path. We must stand up and make it known that we do not approve. Doing something is better than sitting around.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:05 AM
rcmiket

No one gives a rats ass if we did this before. It needs to be done again. Taking a defeatist attitude is not the path. We must stand up and make it known that we do not approve. Doing something is better than sitting around.
"No one gives a rats ass if we did this before"

That's apparent isn't it? It fell on deaf ears who have no respect for what we do and how we do it. This time they will listen? Doubtful as past efforts have proven.

I did as asked and I'm willing to bet the result will be the same, another burden placed on law abiding modelers.
There's a huge difference between a "defeatist attitude" and being realistic. I'm communicating with the AMA and my elected officials and building airplanes ( which they now have a issue with) and flying that's not sitting around doing nothing on my book.
Where's the millions of "droners" who caused this who mess are they doing the same? Nope there still doing what they have always done causing the issue. I've been involved since day one and very disappointed ( and have every right to be)in our CBO that's being slapped around at every turn in this mess,so don't preach to me about all this.

MIker

Last edited by rcmiket; 04-13-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:41 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
"No one gives a rats ass if we did this before"

That's apparent isn't it? It fell on deaf ears who have no respect for what we do and how we do it. This time they will listen? Doubtful as past efforts have proven.

I did as asked and I'm willing to bet the result will be the same, another burden placed on law abiding modelers.
There's a huge difference between a "defeatist attitude" and being realistic. I'm communicating with the AMA and my elected officials and building airplanes ( which they now have a issue with) and flying that's not sitting around doing nothing on my book.
Where's the millions of "droners" who caused this who mess are they doing the same? Nope there still doing what they have always done causing the issue. I've been involved since day one and very disappointed ( and have every right to be)in our CBO that's being slapped around at every turn in this mess,so don't preach to me about all this.

MIker
This seems like more blame laid at the feet of "droners" when nothing could be farther from the truth. They are just a convenient foil rather than acknowledging that technology and big business brought us to where we are. Easier to blame the non "traditional" MR and drones than Amazon, Google etc etc.
More blame la
Old 04-13-2016, 09:08 AM
TimJ

The Drone guys are fighting the same battle. They are not sitting by idly doing nothing.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:16 AM
init4fun

I agree 100% that well written letters that calmly & rationally explain how "traditional" LOS RC flight is not "the problem" they are trying to solve with regulation are our best defense on a personal level , but I really think their should be more media coverage of how yet another American hobby is being regulated out of business * . I hear exactly nothing about any of this except how the FAA is enacting new "drone" regulation without one mention of the existing hobby that's being squeezed between the Drones & the FAA on my nightly news at 6:00 . And our AMA really needed to further blur that line , just so a few pollyanas could be able to come to the forums & sing Kumbaya , we'll all so politically correct & inclusive ? This is nothing against multirotors , BTW , when flown LOS they are just the same as any other model aircraft and should be included in our organization , it's the RC craft of any configuration that carries the ability to fly BLOS that is "the problem" , the "flying camera" and "flying robot" being principally the two types of craft that are long overdue of being separated out of our hobby and into a hobby classification all their own .

* At what point of mandatory , costly airworthiness inspections are the small manufacturers just gonna up & decide there is no more profitability in marketing model airplanes any longer , when this latest regulatory punch to the head begins to be felt ?

Last edited by init4fun; 04-13-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:21 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I agree 100% that well written letters that calmly & rationally explain how "traditional" LOS RC flight is not "the problem" they are trying to solve with regulation are our best defense on a personal level , but I really think their should be more media coverage of how yet another American hobby is being regulated out of business * . I hear exactly nothing about any of this except how the FAA is enacting new "drone" regulation without one mention of the existing hobby that's being squeezed between the Drones & the FAA on my nightly news at 6:00 . And our AMA really needed to further blur that line , just so a few pollyanas could be able to come to the forums & sing Kumbaya , we'll all so politically correct & inclusive ?

* At what point of mandatory , costly airworthiness inspections are the small manufacturers just gonna up & decide there is no more profitability in marketing model airplanes any longer , when this latest regulatory punch to the head begins to be felt ?
Because it's so much better to be exclusive, and selective, and ban and shun things? Wonder if the nitro and gas and giant scale and pattern and turbine and heli guys would have felt about that happening to them.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:54 AM
TimJ

We will adjust. Consumers will have to pay a little more for the products. Currently our radios have to be submitted to the FCC for testing. So if this bill passes the same will be applied to the air frames. What I would be more worried about is how approving air frames will bring on more regulation in the name of safety. Such as standards of how a wing should be built and to what standards.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Sport_Pilot

Your e-mail will not be read, exept to count if for or against. They won't read the details. Too many to read.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Sport_Pilot

We will adjust. Consumers will have to pay a little more for the products. Currently our radios have to be submitted to the FCC for testing. So if this bill passes the same will be applied to the air frames. What I would be more worried about is how approving air frames will bring on more regulation in the name of safety. Such as standards of how a wing should be built and to what standards.
What about your own design? Will the FAA come out with design standards? Will we have to undergo stall and spin tests?
Old 04-13-2016, 04:20 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The first question that a well informed Congressman will ask is "Why does it appear that your Parent Organization have an obvious vested interest in the type of models that are causing 100% of the membership who have contacted my office so much grief...?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.