Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security on UAV "Emerging Threats"

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Homeland Security on UAV "Emerging Threats"

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:37 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What I thought was strange was that in the picture from the Homeland page, it shows a MR that can go 13,000 miles straight up and still be under control. I never knew they could go into space.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:50 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffEE
What I thought was strange was that in the picture from the Homeland page, it shows a MR that can go 13,000 miles straight up and still be under control. I never knew they could go into space.
The operator has to belong to the FAA recognized CBO to do that.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:42 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
His original plans , while still affiliated with his Mosque (That does preach a peaceful version of Islam BTW) , were to carry out a knife attack , which of course is far more likely to be carried out , like the ones happening in England at the time . When he began openly advocating for such violence his Mosque tossed him out and he hooked up with the US authorities posing as fellow terrorists . It was then that he was "introduced" to this bombing idea , because the authorities could keep a far better reign on that than a random knife attack . Once he got past the point of idea , and actually bought the planes and took delivery of what he thought was the C4 , they had him , with no real danger to the public .
I don't recall any stories that indicated the us govt suggested the method of bombing as opposed to the idea of a bombing, regardless of how it would be carried out, nothing would surprise me though.

But again, it was fixed wing then, just as it was in 2012 with some folks in Spain who used fixed wing in planning harm but did you know this actually goes back much farther than that? It does.

2008...a boat and heli were researched. The heli because of its payload capacity.
2006...a teacher was busted trying to get an autopilot system for his 12 foot wingspan airplane.

Finally...and amazingly...this isn't the first time the feds have noted concerns about RC aircraft. In 2008 a bulletin was issued. Even more amazingly...we can actually see this issue being noted as far back as 2004..12 whole years ago when drones were just a dream. DHS issued bulletins to guess who regarding their concern about RC aircraft being used in this manner. Stumped?

Hobby shop owners.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yep , and slip NASA a fiver for the use of their airspace
Old 05-25-2016, 10:52 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by cj_rumley

Now that's funny.

Mike
Old 05-25-2016, 10:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

At this point I could see that happening. I've seen vids of foamies at 11000 feet loitering. Saw one yesterday of a guy who flew a twin motored foamy for a total of 200 km...I think he had two 16000 may batteries.

I think fixed wing is more of a threat, but it's not just a threat in regards to a bombing, but also conflicts with scale aircraft they are concerned about

The technology is advancing like crazy
Old 05-25-2016, 01:58 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I remember that they guy had no clue and never would have succeeded. Now today with the idiot proof technology the AMA loves so dearly it's totally feasible isn't it?.

Mike
Mike,

Totally feasible? doubtful. Much less so than attacks by 'terrorists' like the one who loaded up a station wagon with LP tanks and was going to blow it up in downtown New York City.

After the 'LP terrorist' was arrested you didn't see any outcry from anyone in the government that all those owning/using LP tanks would henceforth be required to register with the government in order to prevent attacks in the future?

Sorry, but this whole deal is just more attempts by the government to make us so fearful that we allow them to take away the rights this country was founded on and which so many men and women fought, and continue to fight, for.

Last edited by Hinckley Bill; 05-25-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:14 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Mike,

Totally feasible? doubtful. Much less so than attacks by 'terrorists' like the one who loaded up a station wagon with LP tanks and was going to blow it up in downtown New York City.

After the 'LP terrorist' was arrested you didn't see any outcry from anyone in the government that all those owning/using LP tanks would henceforth be required to register with the government in order to prevent attacks in the future?

Sorry, but this whole deal is just more attempts by the government to make us so fearful that we allow them to take away the rights this country was founded on and which so many men and women fought, and continue to fight, for.
Actually there was a concern from LEO about LP tanks tot he extent that some places enacted laws to limit how many you could fill at one time. But that's another story and we should stay on track here.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Hinckley Bill
My Feedback: (569)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bottom line is that anyone determined to do harm can find a way to do it with whatever is available to him/her......and no amount of 'concern' or 'restrictive' legislation will deter those evil folks from making it happen.

We live in a world that is far more dangerous than at any time since WWII but not giving in to fear is what will prove to be the best strategy in the long run
Old 05-25-2016, 05:04 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Mike,

Ya know anything is possible from explosives to chemicals AND anyone who who thinks it can't happen is foolish.

Mike
Old 05-25-2016, 05:32 PM
init4fun

Ya know anything is possible from explosives to chemicals AND anyone who who thinks it can't happen is foolish.

Mike
All it takes is determination , money , and a dark heart and just about anythings possible ....
Old 05-26-2016, 03:47 AM
rcmiket

You know it really doesn't matter what any of us thinks. The bottom line is the Department of Homeland Security ( along with the FAA and God knows who else) sees our hobby as a problem.

Mike
Old 05-26-2016, 04:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by porcia83
I don't recall a huge outpouring of requests to the ama, at least not formally, to sidestep what is in those pictures. Nonetheless the requests that might have been made were appropriately dismissed. The reg would have been required regardless.
One petition that had only a few signatures. Most posted but never mailed complaints. The AMA has every reason to believe the majority is behind them. If you want them to change direction you need more than a poorly worded petition with a handful of signatures.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

You know it really doesn't matter what any of us thinks. The bottom line is the Department of Homeland Security ( along with the FAA and God knows who else) sees our hobby as a problem.

Mike
I don't see any indication DHS or the FAA has identified our hobby as a problem. They have noted the obvious potential safety/security concerns that some of the available technologies present. It's what they are supposed to do, if they didn't, they would be criticized. If either entity really though our "hobby" was a true problem or threat, it would have been over for us years ago.

So far, other than the registration, it's business as usual for the hobby.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yep. Funny thing is that the MR community will never sign on with them.
Membership is up by 6.5%. Later AMA membership will be required at many MR events so it will go up much more than that.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:42 AM
Sport_Pilot

I suppose it was to be 13,000 feet. But I suppose it may be possible to have a rocket powered UAV go into orbit. That was the "cutting edge" version after all.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yep , and slip NASA a fiver for the use of their airspace
NASA has no airspace. Treaties keep space international just as the deep oceans are.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
One petition that had only a few signatures. Most posted but never mailed complaints. The AMA has every reason to believe the majority is behind them. If you want them to change direction you need more than a poorly worded petition with a handful of signatures.
Agree. The one "petition" posted hear last year was horribly worded, and didn't even get the name for the president right. It was done on behalf of 7 people if I remember correctly, all with vested interest in "traditional" hobby efforts, ie fixed wing. Even at that, they didn't get more involved in the process before sending it. I suspect it ultimately went nowhere, as did the Change.org petitions. Between all of them, I suspect there were less than 1000 people who were involved, if being "involved" is signing your name. Match that against 187,000 members (paid or not, they are members with a voice), and it's pretty clear there is no uprising going on. That said, at least they took those more proactive measures.

The free registration that cost $5.00 is the sum total of Govt involvement as of now. 99.99% of the membership has seen no change to the way this hobby operates. So if it's being content, or it's apathy, or not being aware of whats going on, there doesn't appear to be any huge groundswell of discontent. Why would the EC change course based on less than .0001 of the membership complaining, and sometimes not even directly to them? I've also yet to see any requests from the newly elected district VPs to change anything either, so even with newly elected leadership within the past year, where is the call to change?
Old 05-26-2016, 05:01 AM
porcia83
Banned

Membership is up by 6.5%. Later AMA membership will be required at many MR events so it will go up much more than that.
It's another classic no win. No amount of increased membership will ever be acknowledged as a result of MR users. The same unsupported narrative will continue, namely that no MR users will sign up with the AMA, which is just not true. If there is a large increase that could somehow be attributed to MR pilots, then the issue will be that no amount of increase could offset the initial educational/promotional money spent. If it could be showed that assumption was incorrect, we'd hear that the ultimately the MR brought govt involvement into the hobby, ie: no win! I'll be interested to see the membership numbers for 2016 and 2017. Although it would be nice to think about a big increase in membership, I don't think that will happen, but the growth will continue, imo.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:04 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Mike
Sometimes, our hobby is the problem:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-...goodyear-blimp
Old 05-26-2016, 05:25 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Yep. Funny thing is that the MR community will never sign on with them.

I'm not sure what you consider the MR community, but the popularity of FPV racing is exploding and I'm not aware of any FPV races that don't require AMA.

If there's a huge drop in membership after all of us that signed up for two years don't stay on as members where will the AMA be then?

What makes you think there will be a huge drop in membership? AMA membership has seen a steady increase in membership in recent years and I expect it to continue, especially with the popularity of MR aircraft. Ever since the this FAA stuff has come about I've seen a significant increase in AMA life memberships as well. It's good to see so many generously making the $1,500 life membership donation to the AMA.

This is a prime opportunity for another player in the R/C insurance game.

Have you reached out to any insurers to alert them to this business opportunity? Now would be the time to let them know about it.

I figure they have a year and a half left to get this sorted out and win us back.

What actions will you and your club be taking if they don't sort out whatever it is you feel they need to sort out?

Mike
Old 05-26-2016, 05:52 AM
init4fun

NASA has no airspace. Treaties keep space international just as the deep oceans are.
Sport , buddy , I was joking , hence the little smiley with a wink . Maybe I shoulda used a smiley at each end of the sentence ....
Old 05-26-2016, 06:45 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I suppose it was to be 13,000 feet. But I suppose it may be possible to have a rocket powered UAV go into orbit. That was the "cutting edge" version after all.
No it was supposed to be 13,000 miles but it is range and not altitude. The altitude max is 15,000 ft.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
No it was supposed to be 13,000 miles but it is range and not altitude. The altitude max is 15,000 ft.
Yeah, I see I got a partial download, and looks incorrect, but the complete download is correct.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:33 AM
porcia83
Banned

The other possible positive from all of this is more discussion and activity surrounding the AMA and their perceived actions, good or bad. Perhaps it spurs more interest and involvement, even at a local or extended area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.