Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Homeland Security on UAV "Emerging Threats"

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Homeland Security on UAV "Emerging Threats"

Old 05-26-2016, 08:26 AM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
No it was supposed to be 13,000 miles but it is range and not altitude. The altitude max is 15,000 ft.
Anything 13,000 miles away is far over the horizon. Signaling is possible in the VLF part of the radio spectrum, but at UHF/SHF it certainly would be 'cutting edge.' Maybe it's some New Physics to go with the New Math.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:44 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Anything 13,000 miles away is far over the horizon. Signaling is possible in the VLF part of the radio spectrum, but at UHF/SHF it certainly would be 'cutting edge.' Maybe it's some New Physics to go with the New Math.
I think it is possible using a satellite phone.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:49 AM
cj_rumley

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I think it is possible using a satellite phone.
Yeah, it could work with a repeater on the moon, depending on the time of day.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by cj_rumley
Yeah, it could work with a repeater on the moon, depending on the time of day.
You don't need the moon. There are satellites now used for phone communication. With a modem you could control a UAV on the other side of the world, not all that cutting edge these days.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:47 AM
cj_rumley

You don't need the moon. There are satellites now used for phone communication. With a modem you could control a UAV on the other side of the world, not all that cutting edge these days.
Military and intelligence agencies do it routinely, and yes, via sat links. Is that what DHS is concerned about? It's not an emerging threat but rather technology that is here and now, so I don't think so. It's also quite stretch from the drone technology available to hobbyists and commercial enterprises..........and jihadist fanatics.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

I think controlling a drone or even RC model from around the world is possible. But it would have to launch and land from the other side of the world. We would need Mr. Fusion to fly from here to the other side.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 05-26-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:35 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I think controlling a drone or even RC model from around the world is possible. But it would have to launch and land from the other side of the world. We would need Mr. Fusion to fly from here to the other side.
Of course it is , a friend's child has a robot toy called "SpyKee" which is basically a remotely operable webcam that can be set up in one location and operated from a computer in any other location the operator chooses . Kinda wild what's out there in the toy realm these days !
Old 05-27-2016, 04:52 AM
mike1974
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by jeffEE
What I thought was strange was that in the picture from the Homeland page, it shows a MR that can go 13,000 miles straight up and still be under control. I never knew they could go into space.
13,000 ft? Try over a 100,000ft! I believe they are using Dragonlink for radio control. They had radio link the entire flight! Absolutely amazing! I have a Dragonlink v3 for my FPV foam glider and it is truly amazing!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkBaY86ORI

Last edited by mike1974; 05-27-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Hinckley Bill
Mike,

Totally feasible? doubtful. Much less so than attacks by 'terrorists' like the one who loaded up a station wagon with LP tanks and was going to blow it up in downtown New York City.

After the 'LP terrorist' was arrested you didn't see any outcry from anyone in the government that all those owning/using LP tanks would henceforth be required to register with the government in order to prevent attacks in the future?

Sorry, but this whole deal is just more attempts by the government to make us so fearful that we allow them to take away the rights this country was founded on and which so many men and women fought, and continue to fight, for.
Amen to that brother!!!!! +1000
Old 05-27-2016, 05:13 AM
mike1974

Actually there was a concern from LEO about LP tanks tot he extent that some places enacted laws to limit how many you could fill at one time. But that's another story and we should stay on track here.
Couldn't you just go to different places to have have multiple tanks filled?
Old 05-27-2016, 05:16 AM
rcmiket

Actually there was a concern from LEO about LP tanks tot he extent that some places enacted laws to limit how many you could fill at one time. But that's another story and we should stay on track here.

Good thing I use charcoal.

Mike
Old 05-27-2016, 05:19 AM
mike1974

It's too bad more poeple can't love flying machines in general, rather than getting hung up on the type of propulsion or airframe. The poeple hung up on traditional, fixed wing flying around the pattern are going to be left in the dust as the rc industry progresses.

Last edited by mike1974; 05-27-2016 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:32 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by mike1974
It's too bad more poeple can't love flying machines in general, rather than getting hung up on the type of propulsion or airframe. The poeple hung up on tradition, fixed wing flying around the pattern are going to be left in the dust as the rc industry progresses.
Most of us got into the hobby due to the love of aviation and everything that fly's.

"The poeple hung up on tradition, fixed wing flying around the pattern are going to be left in the dust as the rc industry progresses."

That would be a very sad day but don't see that happening anytime soon. Once you can put up the kind of attendance numbers that Knoll, SEEF, Top Gun and Florida Jets just to name a few than I'll admit "traditional" R/C is dying. So far it just ain't happening. The new MA has coverage of "drone racing" all the pictures featured pilots no spectators. Heck even local Fly - Ins draw larger crowds that what I saw.
Those who wish "tradition" R/C just to dry up and go away might rethink their position. That's what built the hobby along with the organization.

Mike
Old 05-27-2016, 05:32 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Sometimes, our hobby is the problem:

http://articles.latimes.com/1990-10-...goodyear-blimp
That is not our hobby being the "problem". That is one dumb***** being a dumb***** who happened to be flying an rc plane (not MR) for his dumb*****edness.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 AM
mike1974

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
Ha!! Me too!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:53 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Mike
So much for staying on track, despite the recommendation....
Old 05-27-2016, 06:03 AM
mike1974

Most of us got into the hobby due to the love of aviation and everything that fly's.

"The poeple hung up on tradition, fixed wing flying around the pattern are going to be left in the dust as the rc industry progresses."

That would be a very sad day but don't see that happening anytime soon. Once you can put up the kind of attendance numbers that Knoll, SEEF, Top Gun and Florida Jets just to name a few than I'll admit "traditional" R/C is dying. So far it just ain't happening. The new MA has coverage of "drone racing" all the pictures featured pilots no spectators. Heck even local Fly - Ins draw larger crowds that what I saw.
Those who wish "tradition" R/C just to dry up and go away might rethink their position. That's what built the hobby along with the organization.

Mike
I guess I didn't word my thoughts very well on that comment and I meant to say traditional. My bad. What I was trying to say is that poeple complaining about new methods of flight (MR) and new technologies are just going to be left to their pointless complaining because that is the way everything is heading.

When I was 12 I saved my money, for what felt like forever, to buy my very first RC plane. A Great Planes PT-40 and built that thing by myself. Been in RC ever since and i'm 41 now. I just feel it is sad sometimes to see people so stuck on one particular thing. Aviation is things that fly. Not just fixed wing, kit built planes. I am going to find a NOS PT-40 kit one day just for nostagia purposes.

You bet all those shows are popular and for good reason!! They are awesome!! I was not trying to say fixed wing is dying, just that poeple stuck on only one small type of rc might start becoming the minority at their local field.

I know that if I spent all the time and money on a very expensive plane, like a turbine jet, that there is for sure going to be stabilization, telemetry, return to home, and an LRS built into that thing!!

I just flew buddy box for the first time with my 8 year old son the other day and I can tell you the Eagle Tree 2D/3D Guardian made it a breeze. He could fly the plane and did very well, but when he centered the sticks it went back to straight and level flight. It was very cool! That was with a Big Stik 40 with Saito 56. Now, once he is comfortable with the basic control of the plane I can start turning down the gain on the Guardian until he can fly without any stabilization. Easy peasy and less chance for an accident or crash. Alot more relaxing also.

Last edited by mike1974; 05-27-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:04 AM
mike1974

So much for staying on track, despite the recommendation....
What were we talking about?
Old 05-27-2016, 06:05 AM
rcmiket

I guess I didn't word my thoughts very well on that comment and I meant to say traditional. My bad. What I was trying to say is that poeple complaining about new methods of flight (MR) and new technologies are just going to be left to their pointless complaining because that is the way everything is heading.

When I was 12 I saved my money, for what felt like forever, to buy my very first RC plane. A Great Planes PT-40 and built that thing by myself when I was 12. Been in RC ever since and i'm 41 now. I just feel it is sad sometimes to see people so stuck on one particular thing. Aviation is things that fly. Not just fixed wing, kit built planes. I am going to find a NOS PT-40 kit one day just for nestagia purposes.

You bet all those shows are popular and for good reason!! They are awesome!! I was not trying to say fixed wing is dying, just that poeple stuck on only one small type of rc might start becoming the minority at their local field.

I know that if I spent all the time and money on a very expensive plane, like a turbine jet, that there is for sure going to be stabilization, telemetry, return to home, and an LRS built into that thing!!

I just flew buddy box for the first time with my 8 year old son the other day and I can tell you the Eagle Tree 2D/3D Guardian made it a breeze. He could fly the plane and did very well, but when he centered the sticks it went back to straight and level flight. It was very cool! That was with a Big Stik 40 with Saito 56. Now, once he is comfortable with the basic control of a plane I can start turning down the gain on the Guardian until he can fly without any stabilization. Easy peasy and less chance for an accident or crash. Alot more relaxing also.
Got it.

Mike
Old 05-27-2016, 06:49 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I just flew buddy box for the first time with my 8 year old son the other day and I can tell you the Eagle Tree 2D/3D Guardian made it a breeze. He could fly the plane and did very well, but when he centered the sticks it went back to straight and level flight. It was very cool! That was with a Big Stik 40 with Saito 56. Now, once he is comfortable with the basic control of the plane I can start turning down the gain on the Guardian until he can fly without any stabilization. Easy peasy and less chance for an accident or crash. Alot more relaxing also.
These electronic recovery systems are the future of training and advancing one's piloting skills in the hobby.

It's interesting to look back and see the logical progression from nothing to buddy boxing, to simulators, to stabilization systems. Some systems have even incorporated hard decks that will automatically engage and recover below a certain altitude. As a result, we're seeing some incredible piloting skills emerging in short order.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:16 AM
mike1974

These electronic recovery systems are the future of training and advancing one's piloting skills in the hobby.

It's interesting to look back and see the logical progression from nothing to buddy boxing, to simulators, to stabilization systems. Some systems have even incorporated hard decks that will automatically engage and recover below a certain altitude. As a result, we're seeing some incredible piloting skills emerging in short order.
Totally agree! My Eagle Tree Vector has multiple "safe settings" such as RTH, Max/min altitude, max distance, max/min speed, etc. All programmable! Using 3D mode the Guardian and Vector will hold last input. Say you are using a Guardian in 3D mode and get a perfect prop hang going; you can just release sticks and it will hold last input. You still have to control throttle. Using 3D for take off and landing is cool also. Get lined up on the runway and it holds last input. Just use throttle to control altitude, just like in a real plane with the trim tab set for landing. Get nice and lined up on approach and it will hold last input. Really cool, fun stuff to play around with all while being able to completely turn it off with the flip of a switch or turn of a knob.

Sorry, I geek out about cool technology like this! lol.

Last edited by mike1974; 05-27-2016 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:17 AM
mike1974

It is really cool to have seen the progression thus far! Tower was still selling AM radios when I started flying. lol
Old 05-27-2016, 07:26 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It is really cool to have seen the progression thus far! Tower was still selling AM radios when I started flying. lol
The best is yet to come. There are a few new devices that will be released in the near future that will include some impressive features.

Of course this new technology and new way of doing things represents a disruption in the marketplace. Those who embrace it will reap the benefits.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:51 AM
mike1974

The best is yet to come. There are a few new devices that will be released in the near future that will include some impressive features.

Of course this new technology and new way of doing things represents a disruption in the marketplace. Those who embrace it will reap the benefits.
Very cool times we live in if you love technology and gadgets! Care to share about these new devices and features?
Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Very cool times we live in if you love technology and gadgets! Care to share about these new devices and features?
Here's one and the other is their upcoming new version for helicopters.

https://youtu.be/ErWKMdf0ox0

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.