Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Using FAA number as custom AMA number ?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Using FAA number as custom AMA number ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Yep, if you're interested in a brick call Mandee and she will fix you up. 800-I FLY AMA x 277

They happen to be on 10% off until Tuesday the 31st.

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 05-27-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Yep, if you're interested in a brick call Mandee and she will fix you up. 800-I FLY AMA x 277

fwiw, Mandee is fantastic to deal with. She was fantastic to work with on the AMA Aviation Day program last year (the first time our club was involved), very responsive to our questions, a real pro.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:51 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey

Originally Posted by porcia83
fwiw, Mandee is fantastic to deal with. She was fantastic to work with on the AMA Aviation Day program last year (the first time our club was involved), very responsive to our questions, a real pro.
Thank You Andy for that info ! And as to the AMA staff , I have talked several times over the years with the folks in Muncie , and each and every one of them was , as porcia said , fantastic to work with .
Old 06-07-2016, 01:46 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well ! Has anybody applied for this option
Old 06-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Well ! Has anybody applied for this option
Hopefully the OP will respond. Should be a big deal. I thought I linked to the AMA vanity number info. previously in this thread.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:29 PM
Granpooba

I inquired and here is the official AMA reply:

Good afternoon Mr. Dxxxxx and thank you for your inquiry! I believe all FAA registration numbers are alphanumeric and if that is the case with the FAA number you were assigned there is a one time fee of $50.00 to get a custom AMA number. If it is only numbers there is no charge to have a new number assigned. Please contact me if you need any further assistance. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2016, 06:03 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Granpooba
I inquired and here is the official AMA reply:

Good afternoon Mr. Dxxxxx and thank you for your inquiry! I believe all FAA registration numbers are alphanumeric and if that is the case with the FAA number you were assigned there is a one time fee of $50.00 to get a custom AMA number. If it is only numbers there is no charge to have a new number assigned. Please contact me if you need any further assistance. Thank you!

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Alphanumeric.pdf
Old 06-14-2016, 07:17 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Probably won't change anyone's mind here of might ruffle a few feathers but:
My personal opinion the less waves we make with the FAA the better off we will be As for Using our AMA number as an FAA number, There's several problems with that as I see it. What happens when some one does not renew their yearly AMA dues while the FAA Number is good for 3 years and is just $5.. What happens when the AMA member becomes a life member or a CD and gets a new AMA number? How do they change it with the FAA. Nope the FAA number is good for 3 years, Easy to comply with, at least so far.
Better off to leave well enough alone. The less we deal with the FAA or any Government entity including Local the better off we will be. The less out siders that know we even exist the better off we seem to be.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Probably won't change anyone's mind here of might ruffle a few feathers but:
My personal opinion the less waves we make with the FAA the better off we will be As for Using our AMA number as an FAA number, There's several problems with that as I see it. What happens when some one does not renew their yearly AMA dues while the FAA Number is good for 3 years and is just $5.. What happens when the AMA member becomes a life member or a CD and gets a new AMA number? How do they change it with the FAA. Nope the FAA number is good for 3 years, Easy to comply with, at least so far.
Better off to leave well enough alone. The less we deal with the FAA or any Government entity including Local the better off we will be. The less out siders that know we even exist the better off we seem to be.
Agree with the overall thought and point...would just mention that locally, I think we need to increase our involvement obviously in a good way. Promote the benefits of the hobby and how the clubs can be, and are involved in the local communities. I know that can be a double edged sword, but I think overall the efforts pay off.

My understand is that Bill Pritchett (AMA's Director of Education) is going to be renewing the push to get more folks into schools, clubs, and civic organizations in an effort the highlight all of the benefits of model aviation. This is going to be country wide, not just in one area. There are probably a lot of clubs who already do this, so it shouldn't be a huge stretch to see some old or new members willing to go to schools and discuss what they do.

In short, it sounds like another chance for people (any and all AMA members) to get involved in a more meaningful, positive, and proactive manner.

It would be nice to see how many folks reach out to their district reps and put their hand up and say, me...I'll do it.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Agree with the overall thought and point...would just mention that locally, I think we need to increase our involvement obviously in a good way. Promote the benefits of the hobby and how the clubs can be, and are involved in the local communities. I know that can be a double edged sword, but I think overall the efforts pay off.

Yes it can be a double edge sword. Unfortunately it only takes one person complaining at the local council meeting to cause some real problems for clubs. Sorta Damed if U do and Damed if U don't.

My understand is that Bill Pritchett (AMA's Director of Education) is going to be renewing the push to get more folks into schools, clubs, and civic organizations in an effort the highlight all of the benefits of model aviation. This is going to be country wide, not just in one area. There are probably a lot of clubs who already do this, so it shouldn't be a huge stretch to see some old or new members willing to go to schools and discuss what they do.

Funny U say this at our last club meeting we had a woman from the Count 4H give a talk on a special project they want to get started where 5 or more young 4H's do something like Robotics with mentors. Just so happened that one of the schools that we give demonstrations canceled the days event because of a scheduling conflict. Yes doing things in a community way can only help our presence in a community.

In short, it sounds like another chance for people (any and all AMA members) to get involved in a more meaningful, positive, and proactive manner.

It would be nice to see how many folks reach out to their district reps and put their hand up and say, me...I'll do it.
Along this line we now have a sub-division moving in just 2200' from our flight line and we fly towards them to the tune of 800 to 900 feet closer. Most of the homes about 30 are still unoccupied but that won't last long. Any thing we can do to promote GOOD Community relations can't hurt when it comes to retaining the use of our 40 year+ Field and the 85+ year old Full Scale airport it is located on.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1342...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Google is not quite up to date but this givies an idea just how close they are.

Last edited by HoundDog; 06-14-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Along this line we now have a sub-division moving in just 2200' from our flight line and we fly towards them to the tune of 800 to 900 feet closer. Most of the homes about 30 are still unoccupied but that won't last long. Any thing we can do to promote GOOD Community relations can't hurt when it comes to retaining the use of our 40 year+ Field and the 85+ year old Full Scale airport it is located on.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1342...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Google is not quite up to date but this givies an idea just how close they are.
Preach on preacher! Our club is located directly behind a very upscale senior citizens facility where rents start in the 10k range. Apts, condos, and mini "homes". They are about 500 yards from our field, which by the way is ringed with a walking path which goes into protected wetlands and a bird sanctuary. The facility just started a 30 million dollar addition....more homes, apts etc. Suffice it to say, we work extra hard to peacefully co-exist, not always easy with EDF, helis, and giant scale gassers. It's been that way for the past twenty years. We work with them immediately on any issue, and have put in place measures to prevent possible issues from cropping up. Oh, we feed them all for free at our events too, and set up a covered VIP tent with chairs, front and center to the flight line. We lease the property for a buck a year, they pay multiple millions of dollars in taxes to the town, and employ hundreds of people. That's our reality.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Granpooba

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon

Not even enough spaces on application for FAA number. Good bye to that idea !
Old 06-15-2016, 11:39 AM
cj_rumley

Preach on preacher! Our club is located directly behind a very upscale senior citizens facility where rents start in the 10k range. Apts, condos, and mini "homes". They are about 500 yards from our field, which by the way is ringed with a walking path which goes into protected wetlands and a bird sanctuary. The facility just started a 30 million dollar addition....more homes, apts etc. Suffice it to say, we work extra hard to peacefully co-exist, not always easy with EDF, helis, and giant scale gassers. It's been that way for the past twenty years. We work with them immediately on any issue, and have put in place measures to prevent possible issues from cropping up. Oh, we feed them all for free at our events too, and set up a covered VIP tent with chairs, front and center to the flight line. We lease the property for a buck a year, they pay multiple millions of dollars in taxes to the town, and employ hundreds of people. That's our reality.
Use the AMA recommended sound emission limits to avoid noise complaints. It's easy to comply with, as what they currently recommend (98 dBA@25') is 9 dB greater than what they permit at the IAC in Muncie.

Last edited by cj_rumley; 06-15-2016 at 03:32 PM. Reason: cite # for AMA recommendation