Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 04:48 PM
birddogs2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Tell that to the FAA I don't make the rules they do you asked a simple question and got a accurate answer.

Mike.
I'm not asking if you make the rules. The FAA released their Final Rules for sUAS, in it they stated Part 107 does not apply to model airplanes used for hobby/recreational purposes. They went on to state Sec 336 does apply to model airplanes and that section says nothing about registration. Both Part 107 and Sec 336 are the most current versions or they would not have been released. I simply asked you to state your source for the "Yes" answer. I registered way back in Dec, I just don't see where they still have the requirement to register, so I'm asking what your source is. You seem to have information some of us don't. I'm not looking for a squabble, I'm looking for an Official, ie FAA, reference in light of today's press release.

Bob Mc
Old 06-21-2016, 05:11 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each rule and reg stands on it's own. If you are looking for another press release from the FAA regarding the need to register in light of Rule 107, you won't find it, as they don't need to cover that ground again. The registration is a separate rule and function. We all have access to the same info via press releases and AMA updates.

336 was drafted years before the registration process, as such the language contained in 336 would be silent on registration.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:56 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by birddogs2
I'm not asking if you make the rules. The FAA released their Final Rules for sUAS, in it they stated Part 107 does not apply to model airplanes used for hobby/recreational purposes. They went on to state Sec 336 does apply to model airplanes and that section says nothing about registration. Both Part 107 and Sec 336 are the most current versions or they would not have been released. I simply asked you to state your source for the "Yes" answer. I registered way back in Dec, I just don't see where they still have the requirement to register, so I'm asking what your source is. You seem to have information some of us don't. I'm not looking for a squabble, I'm looking for an Official, ie FAA, reference in light of today's press release.

Bob Mc
Bob nothing has changed as far as registration. It's just that simple. If you haven't registered and don't want to don't. I don't know what to tell you but why not contact the FAA and ask them? Get it straight from the horses mouth. I know the answer you'll get though.
On side note I've been against this since day one but it is what it is.

Mike
Old 06-21-2016, 06:04 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like others on this thread had mentioned, I also do NOT fly at an AMA sanctioned RC field. I usually go fly at any one of a few vacant 20-50 acre fields that are not posted. (and are very isolated with nobody around) I also plan on flying my 40"- 50"electric park-flier high wings trainers at the local public park during the week when the soccer and baseball fields are vacant with not a soul around except an ocassional jogger or dog walker.

I read section 336 of Public Law 112-95. That legal section was written February 12, 2014. So for most of us RC pilots who continue to mind our own business and not do anything more stupid or irrational then what we had not been doing since 2-12,-14 then NOTHING SHOULD HAVE CHANGED with this new law. I personally will continue to put my registration numbers on my planes. I simply enlarge the font size on my printer to about 3" long, and clear-tape it to the underside of my planes.. That should satisfy those of authority, even if the registration is not required. This way if a passing cop, or the park maintainence worker, or the hot-dog vendor, have nothing else better to do, I can politely present my official FAA registration card to them on request. ( I keep the ID card stored under the foam pad in my JR carry case). I've met people of authority who sometimes don't know jack-cr*p about things but act like they do. Usually, if you show them respect and be polite, they are happy with the 2 minutes of your cooperation you provide them, which usually satisfies their ego, and they leave you alone. But again.....nobody has ever stopped me, and I don't expect it now.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 06-21-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:10 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

Here are our rules for hobby flying.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
Old 06-21-2016, 07:26 PM
porcia83
Banned

Bob Mc

As noted by the prior poster.

FYI that page was updated as of 6-20-16.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by az3d
Here are our rules for hobby flying.

That's a guideline not a rule. Section 336 says the AMA makes the rules not the FAA.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:51 PM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

I was on the page listed above and went to the examples of a suas that must have faa numbers and that are all quads. No pics of a tower trainer or mustang ect. I am going to call the FAA in the morning to try to get clarification on this.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:37 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by junkjet
I was on the page listed above and went to the examples of a suas that must have faa numbers and that are all quads. No pics of a tower trainer or mustang ect. I am going to call the FAA in the morning to try to get clarification on this.
Not sure if you are joking, or serious, or just don't understand what's been going on since last year. Hope this will help clarify the issue for you;

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

Right on the front page is this question.
[h=2]Do I need to register my Unmanned Aircraft?[/h] You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg)

So, if your Tower trainer or P-51 is over .55pounds, I believe your question is answered.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:22 AM
rcmiket

Isn't this pretty much finalizing rules for the commercial use of drones and not hobbyist? The no night flying is the reason I ask. We night fly here a lot during the summer due to the heat.

"Daylight-only operations, or civil twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after} official sunset, local time)with appropriate anti-collision lighting. "

I've asked for clarification on the AMA government relations blog and am awaiting a response.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 06-22-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:25 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for this recent update which relates to hobbiests; http://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/

The bottom line is that for 2016 you need to register your toys. If you continue to fly at the local park, open field, or at an RC club and use common sense without bothering anybody (just as you have previously been doing), nothing should be different..
Old 06-22-2016, 06:36 AM
Silent-AV8R

Isn't this pretty much finalizing rules for the commercial use of drones and not hobbyist? The no night flying is the reason I ask. We night fly here a lot during the summer due to the heat.

"Daylight-only operations, or civil twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after} official sunset, local time)with appropriate anti-collision lighting. "

I've asked for clarification on the AMA government relations blog and am awaiting a response.

Mike
The FAA has stated in several places, including in Part 107 itself, that Part 107 DOES NOT APPLY TO HOBBY/MODEL OPERATIONS. It is ONLY for Commercial.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:50 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
The FAA has stated in several places, including in Part 107 itself, that Part 107 DOES NOT APPLY TO HOBBY/MODEL OPERATIONS. It is ONLY for Commercial.
Got it, Thanks. Just wanted clarification. I thought this pertained to commercial use. While briefly skimming it I may have missed where it was noted so..

Mike
Old 06-22-2016, 07:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

Got it, Thanks. Just wanted clarification. I thought this pertained to commercial use. While briefly skimming it I may have missed where it was noted so..

Mike
It was noted at the end of the form. They saved the best info for last.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:44 AM
junkjet

Originally Posted by porcia83
Not sure if you are joking, or serious, or just don't understand what's been going on since last year. Hope this will help clarify the issue for you;

https://registermyuas.faa.gov/

Right on the front page is this question.
[h=2]Do I need to register my Unmanned Aircraft?[/h] You need to register your aircraft if it weighs between 0.55 lbs. (250 grams) and up to 55 lbs. (25 kg)

So, if your Tower trainer or P-51 is over .55pounds, I believe your question is answered.
I have my faa number got it during the grace period. Just saying that it appears the FAA is only concerned with commercial usage.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:23 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Not at all.

They are concerned with ALL users of the NAS (National Air Space).
Old 06-22-2016, 10:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by junkjet
I have my faa number got it during the grace period. Just saying that it appears the FAA is only concerned with commercial usage.
I can see that as much of what they discuss does center on that issue. I've said all along that the commercial usage of these aircraft and the safety of the Nas was the main reason for their involvement. We got caught up in the issue through no fault of our own. I'm optimistic that the registration is as difficult as it will get for us.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:21 PM
junkjet

Originally Posted by porcia83
I can see that as much of what they discuss does center on that issue. I've said all along that the commercial usage of these aircraft and the safety of the Nas was the main reason for their involvement. We got caught up in the issue through no fault of our own. I'm optimistic that the registration is as difficult as it will get for us.
Agreed
Old 06-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Bob Mc
To answer your question about what regulation requires registration of sUAS used for hobby purposes, it's 14 CFR Part 48 here is the link:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...=20151216y1.36

If the link doesn't work just google "faa 14 cfr part 48"
Old 06-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Todd D
My Feedback: (51)

Originally Posted by Todd D
To answer your question about what regulation requires registration of sUAS used for hobby purposes, it's 14 CFR Part 48 here is the link:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...=20151216y1.36

If the link doesn't work just google "faa 14 cfr part 48"
You may also want to take note that the model aircraft operation rules that were passed by congress will soon be codified in 14 CFR part 101. Those rules remain unchanged.

Similar to what is published in AC 91-57A, link:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/.../AC_91-57A.pdf
Old 06-23-2016, 06:01 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by beepee
"... if someone wants to pay you money for photos etc., you're automatically legal."

Franklin, you are but your aircraft is not. Registering an aircraft for commercial use is much more onerous than what we went through earlier this year. I looked into it for my Company's marketing department who had been using a quad for photo work. I left it with them and said "good luck."

Keep it fun,

Bedford
Yep, there are some hoops, but it's not my entire fleet, just a few of them. I figure it's worth it. Also, I think that should someone complain and LEO or someone else show up and ask questions, it's way easier and likely to be more accepted than an AMA card.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:32 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Yep, there are some hoops, but it's not my entire fleet, just a few of them. I figure it's worth it. Also, I think that should someone complain and LEO or someone else show up and ask questions, it's way easier and likely to be more accepted than an AMA card.
I don't recall ever seeing anything to indicate an AMA card was an acceptable form of identification for LEO. Additionally, the AMA does support commercial operations.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:01 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
I don't recall ever seeing anything to indicate an AMA card was an acceptable form of identification for LEO. Additionally, the AMA does support commercial operations.
I'm not saying for ID...do you really think I'm that stupid? I'm saying that when discussing qualifications etc. Having a formal FAA license that says sUAS carries quite a bit of credibility, as it's a government issued credential vice something issued by a private dues collecting organization.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I'm not saying for ID...do you really think I'm that stupid? I'm saying that when discussing qualifications etc. Having a formal FAA license that says sUAS carries quite a bit of credibility, as it's a government issued credential vice something issued by a private dues collecting organization.
An AMA membership card does not imply any qualifications nor was it ever intended too, so I'm not sure why you're implying it does for comparison purposes.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:01 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
An AMA membership card does not imply any qualifications nor was it ever intended too, so I'm not sure why you're implying it does for comparison purposes.
My point exactly. It conveys nothing. When I was asked recently by LEO and responded I was following the AMA safety code, the response was "Who are they?" When I showed my FAA registration card, my FAA pilot's license, and told them who I talked to at the local class D tower, they said "Ok, you know what you're doing....have fun."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.