Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 07:04 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DOT and FAA Finalize Rules for Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=20515
Old 06-21-2016, 07:17 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Appears we are exempt from this. Read the last part about Model aircraft.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Part_107_Summary.pdf (58.7 KB, 173 views)
Old 06-21-2016, 07:24 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Just got the notification, and so far pleased with it. First paragraph states,

I. Executive Summary
A. Purpose of the Regulatory Action
This rule finalizes the notice of proposed rulemaking entitled
Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems
1(the NPRM). The NPRM proposed operating and certification requirements to allow small unmanned aircraft systems (small UAS) to operate for non-
hobby and non-recreational purposes.

A small UAS consists of a small unmanned aircraft (which, as defined by statute, is an unmanned aircraft weighing
less than 55 pounds) and equipment necessary for the safe and efficient operation of that
aircraft. The FAA has accommodated non-recreational small UAS use through various
mechanisms, such as special airworthiness certificates, exemptions, and certificates of
waiver or authorization (COAs). This rule is the next phase of integrating small UAS into

the NAS
Finally a definition! Still reading through it.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:27 AM
franklin_m

I think I'll go get the sUAS rating added to my ticket!. Less than 400' and 100MPH, I can live within that.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:29 AM
porcia83
Banned

Part 107 does not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the criteria specified in section 336 of Public Law 112-95.

Wonder who worked on our behalf to see that language inserted......bet it wasn't the "traditional aircraft" companies.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:36 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I think I'll go get the sUAS rating added to my ticket!. Less than 400' and 100MPH, I can live within that.
I can't understand why you would unless you are flying for some type of a monetary return. If it's a model aircraft there is no need.

I would fly under the 400ft rule if I were not at a club field or event just keep any extra attention like say I had a float plane at a Lake.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

Growing the Economy through Innovation: New Rules for the Commercial and Scientific Use of Drones

June 21, 2016 at 9:19 AM ET by Secretary Anthony Foxx, Jason Miller, Ed Felten, and Michael Huerta

Summary:
Today, the Administration is releasing new ground rules to govern the use of small unmanned aircraft for commercial, educational and public purposes.

More information is available in the White House fact sheet and FAA fact sheet .

America’s capacity for creativity, innovation, and invention is the envy of the world. Over the past seven years, the Obama Administration has strengthened our foundation for innovation through investments and reforms to drive technological breakthroughs that will power the American economy and inspire the world for generations to come. Today, we’re building on that track record by finalizing new ground rules to govern the commercial use of unmanned aircraft systems, more commonly known as “drones.” These rules will open up the National Airspace System to a major new technology and create new jobs while ensuring that we protect privacy and safety.
Taking a step back, it’s no secret that technology has been rapidly changing the world, and that comes with both opportunities and challenges. But this Administration has been forward-looking, working to shape and prepare for technological breakthroughs, so we can harness technology for the benefit of all Americans. For example, we have supported research and development for next-generation technologies across an array of disciplines and applications, like healthcare, clean energy, and national security.
Today’s rule is another step forward. The final “Small Unmanned Aircraft System” rule that the Department of Transportation is releasing today is the first set of nationally uniform regulations for the commercial, educational and public use of unmanned aircraft. Unmanned aircraft will be a transformational technology and a platform for new kinds of services, helping farmers improve crop yields, giving workers tools to more safely conduct inspections of critical infrastructure, and changing how we fight fires, monitor wildlands, and respond to disasters.
The potential benefits of these breakthrough technologies are remarkable – according to one study, the expansion of commercial drones alone could add $82 billion in economic value over the next ten years and by 2025 employ an additional 100,000 Americans.
Farmers will be among the first to reap the benefits of new commercial drone activity, as many of the most important immediate applications for drones are in the agricultural sector. Drones can monitor crop health in real-time for farmers who are trying to manage farms that are hundreds or thousands of acres, increasing crop yield.
Drones will also save lives by helping workers inspect cell phone towers, pipelines, electric lines, and oil rigs. To take one example, more than 12,000 utility line workers were injured or killed last year, making it one of the 10 most dangerous jobs in America. Using drones, workers can inspect power lines and downed electric lines more safely, avoiding injury and death. Or, for example, unmanned aircraft can be used to inspect the 300,000 communications towers in the U.S., thereby avoiding the serious injuries and deaths of workers who fall from these towers.
But the benefits extend far beyond agriculture and infrastructure. Unmanned aircraft can enable operations in remote areas that have never been possible before. Commercial companies are pioneering the use of unmanned aircraft for online retail and food delivery, as well as the delivery of urgent medical supplies like vaccines, medicine, or even blood for transfusion in hard-to-access areas. While these activities are beyond the scope of the current rule, the regulatory regime will continue to evolve to permit more and more applications.
Unmanned aircraft systems are also transforming the ability of local, state, and Federal agencies to respond to and assist in emergencies and disasters, and are enhancing our ability to conduct game-changing scientific research. To-date, unmanned aircraft have been deployed by international emergency response teams in mudslides, wildfires, hurricanes, structural collapses, nuclear accidents, tsunamis, and more, and have improved our capability to monitor wildlife, protect sensitive ecosystems, and to manage and monitor the environment.
The Administration believes that expanded use of drones must be done responsibly, with clear rules of the road that ensure strong safety and privacy protections. The rule includes important safety measures to protect people on the ground and manned aircraft, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will work closely with local and state governments, airports, pilots, and companies around the country in the months ahead to make sure the rule is safely implemented.
In addition, concurrent with the release of today’s rule, the Administration is launching a new privacy education campaign to ensure that pilots, companies and others address the privacy implications of these new technologies. This work builds on a Presidential Memorandum, Promoting Economic Competitiveness While Safeguarding Privacy, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties in Domestic Use of Unmanned Aircraft Systems, under which Federal agencies like the Department of Defense, Department of Justice, and Department of Transportation have instituted strong UAS privacy policies to protect the public.
The new rule for drones is just one more example of how the Obama Administration is empowering entrepreneurs and researchers and encouraging innovation across the economy, ensuring that as a country, we can take advantage of new technologies and harness them for economic growth and scientific advancement.

Last edited by porcia83; 06-21-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:40 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by jws_aces
I can't understand why you would unless you are flying for some type of a monetary return. If it's a model aircraft there is no need.

I would fly under the 400ft rule if I were not at a club field or event just keep any extra attention like say I had a float plane at a Lake.
I don't fly at a club field anymore... When flying at public parks etc. I think having an FAA "license" showing sUAS makes folks much more comfortable. Besides, once you have it, if someone wants to pay you money for photos etc., you're automatically legal.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:41 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I don't fly at a club field anymore... When flying at public parks etc. I think having an FAA "license" showing sUAS makes folks much more comfortable. Besides, once you have it, if someone wants to pay you money for photos etc., you're automatically legal.
Not a bad idea.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:46 AM
porcia83
Banned

My emphasis in red (in post 7). Those points among many stood out. What I didn't see however in those comments was any indication that a couple of people flying unsafely, or the involvement of the AMA caused any of this FAA involvement. Somehow I doubt the President and members of his cabinet became involved in this because of a couple of people doing stupid things, or the AMA embracing drones. An absolutely preposterous notion. That theory appeared to be nothing more than the angst of a few who were simply incapable of dealing with change, and had to find someone or something to blame. A myopic and convenient attempt to look for a boogeyman, rather than look at the big, huge picture. In this case they blamed "drones", and the AMA, neither of which was the case.

Meanwhile, the hobby continues forward. More great flying to be done. The end is not near.

Last edited by porcia83; 06-21-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks like those of us who follow AMA guidelines and fly our HOBBY RC Aircraft at a sanctioned field, or in a safe manner out of public space and NAS are exempt. YEAH. Now those who fly in a public space, not at a sanctioned field, and not following AMA guidelines are all fair game for the FAA.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:00 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by acdii
Looks like those of us who follow AMA guidelines and fly our HOBBY RC Aircraft at a sanctioned field, or in a safe manner out of public space and NAS are exempt. YEAH. Now those who fly in a public space, not at a sanctioned field, and not following AMA guidelines are all fair game for the FAA.
Pretty much.....and I hope that when something goes wrong and the FAA is involved, they deal with the specific parties appropriately. Legal proceedings, fines, etc etc. To date, they have been pretty reasonable in those instances they have been involved with. I think that's a good approach, some people will do stupid things not knowing they are doing them, but at the end of the day their actions were harmless. A letter of reprimand and some education might go a long way to preclude that from happening again. But if you have a rouge pilot out there who has been reprimanded several times for flying for profit, and puts people in the way of harm, and keeps doing it, then I hope the FAA will tighten the screws down and hold that person accountable. If they happen to have a license to fly scale, yank that too. The punishment should fit the crime.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:28 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"... if someone wants to pay you money for photos etc., you're automatically legal."

Franklin, you are but your aircraft is not. Registering an aircraft for commercial use is much more onerous than what we went through earlier this year. I looked into it for my Company's marketing department who had been using a quad for photo work. I left it with them and said "good luck."

Keep it fun,

Bedford
Old 06-21-2016, 10:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Just to clarify a small but important point. There are no "sanctioned fields"
Old 06-21-2016, 10:49 AM
junkjet
My Feedback: (55)

So do we still need a faa number for our hobby models
Old 06-21-2016, 10:55 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by junkjet
So do we still need a faa number for our hobby models

Yes.

Mike
Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 AM
birddogs2
My Feedback: (2)

rcmiket,

I read nothing in the final sec 336 that even addressed the FAA registration number, where are you getting your definitively "Yes" answer from? Part 107 does apply to us and Sec 336 , which does, does not mention a FAA registration number.

Bob Mc
Old 06-21-2016, 11:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

107 doesn't negate the need to register, and 336 (2012) predates the reg requirement (2015) so it wouldn't have mentioned it.

Registration is still required.

Last edited by porcia83; 06-21-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:42 AM
birddogs2
My Feedback: (2)

"Part 107 will not apply to model aircraft. Model aircraft operators must continue to satisfy all the criteria specified in Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (PDF) (which will now be codified in Part 101), including the stipulation they be operated only for hobby or recreational purposes." That is a quote from their press release, they plainly tell you Part 107 doesn't apply to model aircraft and that Sec 336 does, and that Sec 336 will become Part 101. Where is the requirement for model airplanes operated for hobby purposes to have a FFA registration number? The document they released is the final rules for sUAS.

Bob Mc
Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

The FAA interpreted their existing registration rules to apply to uSUAS
Old 06-21-2016, 12:26 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't fly jets, But how are they affected since they get so much scoot on (+100) and altitude? For that matter would races be affected?.
If gliders are flown at "sanctioned fields can they get their height on (+400')?

Ken
Old 06-21-2016, 12:29 PM
porcia83
Banned

Fields are not sanctioned. Aircraft following the AMA rules can exceed 400 feet.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:32 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by barracudahockey
the faa interpreted their existing registration rules to apply to usuas
How many times does this have to be stated? This was not directed at you, barracuda, but at those who just don't get that registration has been required all along, it was ignored until now.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:47 PM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
How many times does this have to be stated? This was not directed at you, barracuda, but at those who just don't get that registration has been required all along, it was ignored until now.
Total BS. The registration reg was not written for model aircraft. It is total nonsense.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:56 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by birddogs2
rcmiket,

I read nothing in the final sec 336 that even addressed the FAA registration number, where are you getting your definitively "Yes" answer from? Part 107 does apply to us and Sec 336 , which does, does not mention a FAA registration number.

Bob Mc
Tell that to the FAA I don't make the rules they do you asked a simple question and got a accurate answer.

Mike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.