Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Old 06-23-2016, 04:17 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpooba
Good for you ! I am actually almost in the same boat. NO PUN INTENDED ! LOL
I have a recently completed BUSA Eindecker 90 and have not even taken it out of my building shop yet to fire up the engine or perform a maiden test flight. But, I have considered running my Warehouse Hobbies Off Shore boat. Mind you with NO worries or problems from any organizations.
Unless the EPO or NWF or the Sierra Club bust you for screwing with the wildlife....................................

Mike
Old 06-23-2016, 05:58 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the risk of being labelled all sorts of things, and recognizing this addresses only commercial flying under part 107, I did note some hints of alignment around a 400 foot altitude limit. Given that we haven't seen the final rule for model aircraft (due sometime in the future), I wonder whether this could be a harbinger of what we might see in that rule.

"Further, the revised limit addresses other concerns regarding potential confusion between model aircraft and small unmanned aircraft. Specifically, limiting operations to 400 feet is consistent [emphasis added] with FAA guidance on model aircraft best practices identified in AC 91-57A, thus standardizing operating altitudes [emphasis added] for the majority of small unmanned aircraft flying in the NAS. A 400-foot altitude ceiling is also consistent [emphasis added] with the approach adopted in other countries. Specifically, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom all set a 400-foot [emphasis added] or lower altitude limit on UAS operations conducted in those countries."

- Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems, final rule, pg 223

Last edited by franklin_m; 06-23-2016 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Added "e" at end of "not" in this sentence "...I did note some hints..."
Old 06-23-2016, 06:05 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
At the risk of being labelled all sorts of things, and recognizing this addresses only commercial flying under part 107, I did not some hints of alignment around a 400 foot altitude limit. Given that we haven't seen the final rule for model aircraft (due sometime in the future), I wonder whether this could be a harbinger of what we might see in that rule.

"Further, the revised limit addresses other concerns regarding potential confusion between model aircraft and small unmanned aircraft. Specifically, limiting operations to 400 feet is consistent [emphasis added] with FAA guidance on model aircraft best practices identified in AC 91-57A, thus standardizing operating altitudes [emphasis added] for the majority of small unmanned aircraft flying in the NAS. A 400-foot altitude ceiling is also consistent [emphasis added] with the approach adopted in other countries. Specifically, Canada, Australia, and the United Kingdom all set a 400-foot [emphasis added] or lower altitude limit on UAS operations conducted in those countries."

- Operation and Certification of Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems, final rule, pg 223
I agree that hobbyists will be saddled with the 400 ft rule also. It's coming like it or not.

Mike
Old 06-23-2016, 06:14 AM
p38nut
My Feedback: (6)

Not if you fly too close to an airport!
http://insights.globalspec.com/artic...sletter&cid=nl

Mike
Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by rcmiket
I agree that hobbyists will be saddled with the 400 ft rule also. It's coming like it or not.

Mike
It's not. AMA is working on getting a letter specifically dealing with this, however there is no hard 400 foot hardtop across the board.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
It's not. AMA is working on getting a letter specifically dealing with this, however there is no hard 400 foot hardtop across the board.
Not yet...

First, they repeatedly used some form of the word "consistent;" and I think that's no accident. FAA has to provide consistency to ensure rules are enforceable. Secondly, they denied a to mix sUAS and manned aircraft at 500' and above as too big a risk. "The FAA disagrees that a further increase in altitude is justified. Higher-altitude small unmanned aircraft operating in airspace that is transited by most manned aircraft operations would no longer be separated from those manned aircraft, which would greatly increase the risks of a collision.[emphasis added]" Thirdly, they did this despite the fact that this rule applied to only those certified for commercial ops, a group that has to actually demonstrate greater knowledge than hobby fliers. Now, if it's too big a risk to allow those with demonstrated knowledge to mix above 500 feet, would it not be even greater risk to allow hobby fliers with no demonstrated knowledge to do so?

So, given they stress on consistency, given the rationale that mentions manned aircraft largely above 500 feet, and that they didn't give that higher limit for a group that has to demonstrate knowledge via FAA testing, I think it's not if hobby fliers altitude restrictions, it's a matter of when. That said, perhaps they'll allow higher limits using the NOTAM process. But only time will tell.

Last edited by franklin_m; 06-23-2016 at 09:13 AM. Reason: clean up awkward language.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:40 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not yet...

First, they repeatedly used some form of the word "consistent;" and I think that's no accident. FAA has to provide consistency to ensure rules are enforceable. Secondly, they denied a to mix sUAS and manned aircraft at 500' and above as too big a risk. "The FAA disagrees that a further increase in altitude is justified. Higher-altitude small unmanned aircraft operating in airspace that is transited by most manned aircraft operations would no longer be separated from those manned aircraft, which would greatly increase the risks of a collision.[emphasis added]" Thirdly, they did this despite the fact that this rule applied to only those certified for commercial ops, a group that has to actually demonstrate greater knowledge than hobby fliers. Now, if it's too big a risk to allow those with demonstrated knowledge to mix above 500 feet, would it not be even greater risk to allow hobby fliers with no demonstrated knowledge to do so?

So, given they stress on consistency, given the rationale that mentions manned aircraft largely above 500 feet, and that they didn't give that higher limit for a group that has to demonstrate knowledge via FAA testing, I think it's not if hobby fliers altitude restrictions, it's a matter of when. That said, perhaps they'll allow higher limits using the NOTAM process. But only time will tell.
I hope 400 is safety guideline and not a hardcap.... If 400 does become a hardcap, this would probably be the end of me getting a turbine waiver and ever transitioning to scale jets...
Old 06-23-2016, 09:46 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
I hope 400 is safety guideline and not a hardcap.... If 400 does become a hardcap, this would probably be the end of me getting a turbine waiver and ever transitioning to scale jets...
I just find it hard to believe that FAA won't push for consistent altitude limits. I also think it's inconsistent to allow commercial guys, who actually have to prove knowledge of airspace and rules, to be held lower than section 336 folks (who don't have to do any of that). Even if there is a similar knowledge test for section 336 fliers, why would they be allowed a wider operational envelope?

Now, I could see that FAA might allow it from fixed sites (i.e. clubs) provided they issue a NOTAM. It would also allow FAA some measure of control if these ops impact full scale ops too much for their comfort.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:00 AM
GSXR1000

I just find it hard to believe that FAA won't push for consistent altitude limits. I also think it's inconsistent to allow commercial guys, who actually have to prove knowledge of airspace and rules, to be held lower than section 336 folks (who don't have to do any of that). Even if there is a similar knowledge test for section 336 fliers, why would they be allowed a wider operational envelope?

Now, I could see that FAA might allow it from fixed sites (i.e. clubs) provided they issue a NOTAM. It would also allow FAA some measure of control if these ops impact full scale ops too much for their comfort.
I know it's possible to keep EDF's and Turbine aircraft under 400', but most EDF' and Turbines I see would exceed 400'; just doing a simple immeman or half cuban 8 or any other type loop. I don't see someone looping their 5k plus turbine aircraft where the apex of the loop is 400' feet only....

Last edited by GSXR1000; 06-23-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:14 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Not yet...

"Not yet...". Could be. Maybe. Possible. But always on the negative tip....

But yes...time will tell. The end of the hobby was just around the corner but a year or two ago...
Old 06-23-2016, 10:35 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83
"Not yet...". Could be. Maybe. Possible. But always on the negative tip....

But yes...time will tell. The end of the hobby was just around the corner but a year or two ago...
First, I don't think I ever said the hobby would end. If anything, I said it would change. One the first point though, do you disagree with the logic? Do you really see FAA allowing less qualified people to enjoy wider operational limits in the NAS? I'd love to hear the argument.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:30 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

First, I don't think I ever said the hobby would end.

I seem to recall you implying it.

If anything, I said it would change.

The only thing constant is change. Nothing new there.

One the first point though, do you disagree with the logic? Do you really see FAA allowing less qualified people to enjoy wider operational limits in the NAS? I'd love to hear the argument.

Less qualified than what current qualifications are you referring to?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:51 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
Less qualified than what current qualifications are you referring to?
Part 107 operators (more qualified) due to:

"To qualify for a remote pilot certificate, a person must:
o Demonstrate aeronautical knowledge by either:
- Passing an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center; or
- Hold a part 61 pilot certificate other than student pilot, complete a flight review within the previous 24 months, and complete a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA."

Contrast that with section 336 fliers which neither have to pass an aeronautical knowledge test at FAA approved center nor hold a part 61 certificate (with caveats above) and online sUAS training administered by FAA. Hence the characterization as "less qualified."
Old 06-23-2016, 12:20 PM
GSXR1000

I know what franklin is basically saying, basically he is saying; Why would us hobbyist model airplane/uas pilots have less restrictions than the pilots who fall into the Part 107 category.

I certainly hope we hobbyist retain our cbo guidelines and not have hardfast restrictions that 107 operators/pilots will have...
Old 06-23-2016, 01:01 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not going to argue with Franklin but, to me, his logic is the same logic used by the government with the startup of TSA - "you have to be a government employee to be professional". We, who have been safely flying for 40-60 years aren't as "professional" or "qualified" as the pipsqueek who passed the "government" exam - whatever it may contain.

That's the beginning, and end, of my statement.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:08 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I'm not going to argue with Franklin but, to me, his logic is the same logic used by the government with the startup of TSA - "you have to be a government employee to be professional". We, who have been safely flying for 40-60 years aren't as "professional" or "qualified" as the pipsqueek who passed the "government" exam - whatever it may contain.

That's the beginning, and end, of my statement.
I don't quite follow how the TSA thing is related. This I see as the FAA establishing a minimum standard for knowledge of and rules for operating in the NAS, and then testing people on them to ensure they can prove they know. It also establishes a process for periodic recertification, which helps ensure people stay up to date on the changes since last qualified.

Section 336 fliers have no such qualification process. Therefore less standardized with respect to level of knowledge of operational rules, the law, and the airspace in which they operate.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:59 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Part 107 operators (more qualified) due to:

"To qualify for a remote pilot certificate, a person must:
o Demonstrate aeronautical knowledge by either:
- Passing an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center; or
- Hold a part 61 pilot certificate other than student pilot, complete a flight review within the previous 24 months, and complete a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA."

Contrast that with section 336 fliers which neither have to pass an aeronautical knowledge test at FAA approved center nor hold a part 61 certificate (with caveats above) and online sUAS training administered by FAA. Hence the characterization as "less qualified."
Seems intuitively obvious the FAA recognizes it's not practical for a recreational hobbyist to be held to the same level of standards as a commercial business venture.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:31 PM
franklin_m

Seems intuitively obvious the FAA recognizes it's not practical for a recreational hobbyist to be held to the same level of standards as a commercial business venture.
And so it's then logical to allow them to enjoy a BIGGER operational envelope than people who have actually demonstrated a level of knowledge on an FAA administered test? I think not.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:40 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

And so it's then logical to allow them to enjoy a BIGGER operational envelope than people who have actually demonstrated a level of knowledge on an FAA administered test? I think not.
How is the operational envelope BIGGER non-commercial users than it is for commercial users?
Old 06-23-2016, 05:20 PM
franklin_m

How is the operational envelope BIGGER non-commercial users than it is for commercial users?
It's right there in the rule for you to read, but I'll quote it for you:

"Section 107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.

A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:
(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and
(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit."

By contrast, the section 336 fliers merely have a 400 foot "guideline," and no airspeed limit (under the FARs). And yet unlike the part 107 fliers, never have to prove they know anything about anything.

Last edited by franklin_m; 06-23-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

It's right there in the rule for you to read, but I'll quote it for you:

"Section 107.51 Operating limitations for small unmanned aircraft.

A remote pilot in command and the person manipulating the flight controls of the small unmanned aircraft system must comply with all of the following operating limitations when operating a small unmanned aircraft system:

(a) The groundspeed of the small unmanned aircraft may not exceed 87 knots (100 miles per hour).

(b) The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level, unless the small unmanned aircraft:
(1) Is flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure; and
(2) Does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit."

By contrast, the section 336 fliers merely have a 400 foot "guideline," and no airspeed limit (under the FARs). And yet unlike the part 107 fliers, never have to prove they know anything about anything.
So the only item in the operational envelope that non-commercial sUAS pilots have that's BIGGER than commercial sUAS pilots is altitude?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:12 PM
NorfolkSouthern

It looks to me like you can fly an RC jet, and not have to worry about it. On the other hand, I did visit a club that was out flying a few days ago. Nobody there was talking. As a former hobbyist, I couldn't get a word out of them. I did not cross the spectator fence, because nobody I knew there had motioned me over. I have a hunch that the atmosphere at that club is very tense at the moment. I think they are waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 PM
Silent-AV8R

Originally Posted by rcmiket

Mike
Nothing indicates that is the case. Section 336 has no altitude limits and the AMA has gotten the Senate to write in a waiver for CBO (AMA) operators.

So if you do not want to follow 101.41 then yes, by default you must operate under 107, even for hobby, and that does have an altitude limit.
Old 06-24-2016, 02:11 AM
franklin_m

So the only item in the operational envelope that non-commercial sUAS pilots have that's BIGGER than commercial sUAS pilots is altitude?

Read sub para (a).
Old 06-24-2016, 02:20 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
Nothing indicates that is the case. Section 336 has no altitude limits and the AMA has gotten the Senate to write in a waiver for CBO (AMA) operators.

So if you do not want to follow 101.41 then yes, by default you must operate under 107, even for hobby, and that does have an altitude limit.
Ah....but you forget, nothing in section 336 prevents the FAA from regulations that do not specifically target "model aircraft." Since they've already limited commercial sUAS (indeed an "aircraft') to below 400 feet, nothing prevents them from limiting all sUAS to below 400 feet. That would not be a regulation specific to "model aircraft" but rather specific to sUAS.

As I pointed out above, commercial sUAS pilots actually have to prove they know something about the FARs, and they're limited to 400 feet. Furthermore, in their discussion of comments on the part 107 rule, did you see how the FAA repeatedly talked about the majority of manned aircraft operating above 500 feet? (I seem to remember using that exact phrase in my comments to FAA about this rule and the pending rule on model aircraft). And did you note how they said allowing the commercial sUAS above 500 feet was too risky for that reason? So if it's too risk to allow commercial sUAS above 400' due to potential conflict with manned aircraft, why would it suddenly be less risky to allow non-commercial sUAS above 400'? Is there some magical bubble around "model aircraft"? Perhaps a force field that prevents them from hazarding manned aircraft as the commercial ones would? I don't think so. I believe that a 400' limit makes abundant sense for consistency.

Last edited by franklin_m; 06-24-2016 at 02:59 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.