Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Are we as hobbyist UAS users in the clear for now? can we jump for joy? or to soon?

Old 06-24-2016, 03:37 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before long it will be 40 feet, the 4 feet. I should get all my flying in now before it all comes to an end.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:57 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
Ah....but you forget, nothing in section 336 prevents the FAA from regulations that do not specifically target "model aircraft." Since they've already limited commercial sUAS (indeed an "aircraft') to below 400 feet, nothing prevents them from limiting all sUAS to below 400 feet. That would not be a regulation specific to "model aircraft" but rather specific to sUAS.

As I pointed out above, commercial sUAS pilots actually have to prove they know something about the FARs, and they're limited to 400 feet. Furthermore, in their discussion of comments on the part 107 rule, did you see how the FAA repeatedly talked about the majority of manned aircraft operating above 500 feet? (I seem to remember using that exact phrase in my comments to FAA about this rule and the pending rule on model aircraft). And did you note how they said allowing the commercial sUAS above 500 feet was too risky for that reason? So if it's too risk to allow commercial sUAS above 400' due to potential conflict with manned aircraft, why would it suddenly be less risky to allow non-commercial sUAS above 400'?

What do your analytics show for non-commercial sUAS total time spent above 400' for your average AMA member on an annuals basis looking at the last three years? Now, what would be the total time spent for all commercial sUAS operations > 500' if permissible?

Is there some magical bubble around "model aircraft"? Perhaps a force field that prevents them from hazarding manned aircraft as the commercial ones would? I don't think so. I believe that a 400' limit makes abundant sense for consistency.

Old 06-24-2016, 03:59 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Read sub para (a).
Yeah, I don't see BIGGER, I see captious.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:06 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon
What do your analytics show for non-commercial sUAS total time spent above 400' for your average AMA member on an annuals basis looking at the last three years? Now, what would be the total time spent for all commercial sUAS operations > 500' if permissible?
Given what's been said in these pages that a 400 foot ceiling would be the end of sailplanes, jets, pattern, and giant scale aerobatics, it seems to me that's a non-trivial number of members.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:24 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tend to agree that a 400 foot limit is coming at some point in the future, that being said what I think may happen will be an incident with a full scale that takes place over 400 feet and if the modeler is let off the hook because
they are a AMA member and someone else that is not a AMA member that does the same thing is hung out to dry I think then we will see a 400 foot limit on all UAS.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:11 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Given what's been said in these pages that a 400 foot ceiling would be the end of sailplanes, jets, pattern, and giant scale aerobatics, it seems to me that's a non-trivial number of members.
How many is non-trivial? Seems like you're suggesting policy based on random unverifiable data found on the public Internet.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:04 AM
porcia83
Banned

It's coming to an end, I'm sure of it.

Meanwhile, I flew at an active airport yesterday with scale aircraft departing and arriving throughout the day. Granted it was with "traditional" aircraft only, so obviously no chance of anything going wrong.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by porcia83

Meanwhile, I flew at an active airport yesterday with scale aircraft departing and arriving throughout the day. Granted it was with "traditional" aircraft only, so obviously no chance of anything going wrong.
I did the same on Friday.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Well, I guess we need to fly while we can, before long we'll be waaaay under 400 feet, and then eventually, poof....we won't be able to fly.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:19 PM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

I got out again today just in case "poof" happens tomorrow. I hope others were able to get out as well, just in case our days are numbered....

I've started looking at RC subs too.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:29 PM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got out again today just in case "poof" happens tomorrow. I hope others were able to get out as well, just in case our days are numbered....

I've started looking at RC subs too.
Hah, then you won't be able to go 400' deep when NOAA sets rules on Model Subs...
Old 06-26-2016, 08:57 PM
NorfolkSouthern

How do you folks in this hobby know that your days are "numbered"? I'm not seeing any movement on that new funding bill yet, and I think I can be reasonably sure that model aviation won't have the restrictions as written on the Senate package.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:34 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
It looks to me like you can fly an RC jet, and not have to worry about it. On the other hand, I did visit a club that was out flying a few days ago. Nobody there was talking. As a former hobbyist, I couldn't get a word out of them. I did not cross the spectator fence, because nobody I knew there had motioned me over. I have a hunch that the atmosphere at that club is very tense at the moment. I think they are waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Or maybe you are too scary looking!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:36 AM
Sport_Pilot

And you were likely registered. we all know a registered model is completely safe!
Old 06-27-2016, 04:37 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
Hah, then you won't be able to go 400' deep when NOAA sets rules on Model Subs...
I would think most model subs would implode at that depth. Then again maybe the scale effect make them stronger not weaker than full scale.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:56 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by NorfolkSouthern
How do you folks in this hobby know that your days are "numbered"? I'm not seeing any movement on that new funding bill yet, and I think I can be reasonably sure that model aviation won't have the restrictions as written on the Senate package.
It's no different than those who are 100% certain who the next president is going to be.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

It's no different than those who are 100% certain who the next president is going to be.
No matter, that won't be good, either way maybe.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
And you were likely registered. we all know a registered model is completely safe!
Yes, I was registered as well as every one of the 70 plus pilots. The airport owner (who attended the fly in with his son) insisted on AMA as well as the FAA reg. First time I've ever flown at an active airport although a NOTAM was in place, there were still planes coming in and out. Last year a Cessna Caravan made an unscheduled stop at the field, definitely an interesting situation.

You flying big stuff yet?
Old 06-27-2016, 06:20 AM
Sport_Pilot

Yes, I was registered as well as every one of the 70 plus pilots. The airport owner (who attended the fly in with his son) insisted on AMA as well as the FAA reg. First time I've ever flown at an active airport although a NOTAM was in place, there were still planes coming in and out. Last year a Cessna Caravan made an unscheduled stop at the field, definitely an interesting situation.

You flying big stuff yet?
Haven't flown anything yet. Glad to know that registration is making midair's impossible.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:32 AM
porcia83
Banned

Haven't flown anything yet. Glad to know that registration is making midair's impossible.
That's a shame, seriously.

The weird thing with the registration though (at least that I've found), is that you have to have the card with you at all times. The card being the FAA card, laminated of course. I take the card with wave it over the plane I'm about to fly and chant the following: FAA FAA, make the other planes go away. Gotta do that 3 times, then take off. I haven't had a mid-air yet.

Now, the one time I didn't do that, I did impact a safety cone upon landing. Tore the motor right off the mount. When I think back, turns out I only did my chant twice. Coincidence, or conspiracy? You be the judge.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:47 AM
GSXR1000
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think most model subs would implode at that depth. Then again maybe the scale effect make them stronger not weaker than full scale.
I'm talking 1/4 giant scale sateliite controlled rc ssbn subs... if those were to even exist....
Old 06-27-2016, 07:31 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by GSXR1000
I'm talking 1/4 giant scale sateliite controlled rc ssbn subs... if those were to even exist....
The rocket guy's are still in business, though they have to request a waiver. I suggest a Trident sub with Trident missiles. Would be cool to see a model sub launch model missiles from underwater.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 PM
porcia83
Banned

The rocket guy's are still in business, though they have to request a waiver. I suggest a Trident sub with Trident missiles. Would be cool to see a model sub launch model missiles from underwater.
Sounds unsafe!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

Sounds unsafe!
Yet legal. Do we have to have a regulation for everything?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Yet legal. Do we have to have a regulation for everything?
Well.....not from my perspective.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.